Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

Whohoo! It's 100% working! :D

I'm running iDeneb 10.5.8 on a Compaq Presario CQ60 200ED! :)

What i've done...

1. Change OSX version from 10.5.8 to 10.5.5.

2. Install the 2008-004 update (IMPORTANT)

3. Install the .kext with KextHelper.

4. Reboot, you will have a kernel panic.

5. Reboot

6. Use the WIFI application and and select the driver.

7. Scanning and you will see the networks..

8. Now you can connect!

FINALLY after 7 Months!! :D :D :D

Whohoo! It's 100% working! :D

I'm running iDeneb 10.5.8 on a Compaq Presario CQ60 200ED! ;)

What i've done...

1. Change OSX version from 10.5.8 to 10.5.5.

2. Install the 2008-004 update (IMPORTANT)

3. Install the .kext with KextHelper.

4. Reboot, you will have a kernel panic.

5. Reboot

6. Use the WIFI application and and select the driver.

7. Scanning and you will see the networks..

8. Now you can connect!

FINALLY after 7 Months!! :D:D:D

Hey.. I installed Ideneb 10.5.8.. Now i am trying to get internet working... Do you have to change the os X version DOWN from 10.5.8 to 10.5.5 to get this working? and how would i go around doing that? If its not necassary, i would like not to do it :) and ive been trying for about that time, and still no sucsess for me :( lol well, if anyone with 10.5.8 got it working? and has anyone with a acer Aspire 5520-5912 laptop got it working either? thanxs in advance :)

Hey.. I installed Ideneb 10.5.8.. Now i am trying to get internet working... Do you have to change the os X version DOWN from 10.5.8 to 10.5.5 to get this working? and how would i go around doing that? If its not necassary, i would like not to do it :) and ive been trying for about that time, and still no sucsess for me :wallbash: lol well, if anyone with 10.5.8 got it working? and has anyone with a acer Aspire 5520-5912 laptop got it working either? thanxs in advance :)

Alright I must tell you after i reboot he can't find any wifi-networks... But i'm working on that. :)

What i've done is I had installed a clean version of iDeneb Lite 10.5.8 with Vanilla kernel (other kernels doesn't work) I also unchecked all drivers voor Atheros before the installation...

After te installation I installed the IO80211Family.kext and reboot my laptop. (Then I changed the /System/Library/Coreservices/Systemversion.plist from 10.5.8 to 10.5.5.) After that was able to install the 2008-004 update from Apple. After the installation i've reinstall the IO80211Family.kext with Kexthelper and I reboot. Then I had a kernel panic and restart my laptop.

After the next reboot I was able to open KISMAC and see te WIFI-networks.

Hopes it help for you!

Here's what I did to get my Atheros AR5007EG working in Leopard 10.5.8:

http://is.gd/2vqcP

This is excently what I also did, but doesn't work.

What kernel and distro have you chosen?

Has you also checked any WIFI kext before the installation?

Thanks!

Edit: I think I have found a solution. I am now able to see the networks and connect to them. But after a reboot he can't find any network. :)

But if I reinstall everthing I can find all networks. Hmm... very strange! :S

Alright I must tell you after i reboot he can't find any wifi-networks... But i'm working on that. :hysterical:

What i've done is I had installed a clean version of iDeneb Lite 10.5.8 with Vanilla kernel (other kernels doesn't work) I also unchecked all drivers voor Atheros before the installation...

After te installation I installed the IO80211Family.kext and reboot my laptop. (Then I changed the /System/Library/Coreservices/Systemversion.plist from 10.5.8 to 10.5.5.) After that was able to install the 2008-004 update from Apple. After the installation i've reinstall the IO80211Family.kext with Kexthelper and I reboot. Then I had a kernel panic and restart my laptop.

After the next reboot I was able to open KISMAC and see te WIFI-networks.

Hopes it help for you!

I have a AMd machine, So i needed pretty much the Voodoo Kernel.. And i got it working too! It wasnt with this Kext tho.. It was like 3 kexts that i had to install, not just one.. And it worked!!! If you want more info, just ask.. And with it i didnt have to change anything else, didnt have to mess with systemversion.plist, and didnt have to instal that pesky airport update for 10.5.5 ;)

I have a AMd machine, So i needed pretty much the Voodoo Kernel.. And i got it working too! It wasnt with this Kext tho.. It was like 3 kexts that i had to install, not just one.. And it worked!!! If you want more info, just ask.. And with it i didnt have to change anything else, didnt have to mess with systemversion.plist, and didnt have to instal that pesky airport update for 10.5.5 :unsure:

Ah, that sounds cool. B)

Can you give me some more information about the 3 kexts please?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey i got this kext working on my HPG60 laptop with iATKOS v5i and AR5007, Thank You.

This are some problems i noticed. The thing is that it works "when it wants to", sometimes i get kernel panic, boot crash, and no airport detected. When it does detect tha Airport Card when i start to scan with KisMac trunk sometime it glitches. Sometimes it keeps scanning without showing any networks and shows a network as <any ssid> when i click the airport icon two times.

These are some minor problems to consider, because of the fact that it takes time out of your hands to make it work and is frustraring :blowup:-_- (and i dont want to to use my vista os :thumbsdown_anim: , just to use the internet)

It would be great if these were fixed :moil:

But anyway great work :thumbsup_anim:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
OK here is my attempt at a guide:

First, make sure the card is on in another OS and restart. Those of you hoping to not have to dual boot are out of luck right now.

1. Starting from 10.5.5 and a vanilla kernel.

2. Download and install the Airport Update 2008-004. Reboot.

3. Download and install the IO8211Family.kext at the beginning of this thread with Kexthelper unless you feel like doing all of the permission repairs and stuff.

4. Download and install Kismac trunk r319.

5. Reboot. You have a 40% chance of getting a boot without a kernel panic. Just retry, it will eventually reboot fine.

6. Open Kismac before you do anything. Go to prefererences and find the tab for drivers. Add the Airport Extreme Passive mode one. Active mode does not work. Exit that menu and then click start scan. You will start to see networks. Once you see networks quit Kismac.

7. Now go the airport icon in the top bar and click on Join Other Network. (if the icon is not there you need to go to network preferences and enable the icon.) Then click on show networks. Your network will come up. Click on it, click join and then it will ask you for your network password. Enter that and then it will connect to your network and be stable. You will have to set up a network in the networking preference panel for the airport card just like normal.

On my Presario C771 the WIFI lights are not on blue but the card still works.

When you restart you will sometimes get a kernel error. Just try again. When you restart you will only have to do steps 6 and 7 and will not have to reenter you network password if you put it in your keychain when prompted.

It works everytime I boot now as long as the hardware button on the notebook is not pressed. The network stays on all the time and is fast.

If you also get it to work please let us know.

Pictures attached.

It works for me :( first time installation on AAO 150.

Vanilla kernel

followed the steps exactly and it worked smooth

Thanks for the tip and the sharing

• 1 month later...

:D !!!!!!! I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!!!! After months and months of trying I finally have the perfect HackBook Pro (except QE/CI [my next project]). This kext and solution never worked for me until today. I have an Atheros AR5007EG (0x168c) and it just worked. The kexts I used are below. Download and rename IO80211Family-First.kext to IO80211.kext and install that one first. Reboot. Delete the kext from the temporary storing folder (eg. Downloads Folder). Then install the other IO80211Family.kext from the archive and reboot. Download KisMac Trunk r319 and add AirPort Extreme Passive Mode. Scan. And the moment you see a network exit out of KisMac and scan for networks in the Airport icon.

If is says AirPort off in System Prefrences try enabling and disabling another interface (I used my ethernet) and the try turning on AirPort again.

By the way my System is with the iPC 10.5.6 Distro (updated to 10.5.8)

IO80211Family.kext.zip

IO80211Family_First.kext.zip

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I found out that KisMac and AirPort will only find networks when I startup with my Netgear WG111V3 and run the Netgear software while I run KisMac. It will find networks almost immediatly and then select a network from the AirPort menu and then you can disconnect the WG111v3... How weird...?

:) !!!!!!! I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!!!! After months and months of trying I finally have the perfect HackBook Pro (except QE/CI [my next project]). This kext and solution never worked for me until today. I have an Atheros AR5007EG (0x168c) and it just worked. The kexts I used are below. Download and rename IO80211Family-First.kext to IO80211.kext and install that one first. Reboot. Delete the kext from the temporary storing folder (eg. Downloads Folder). Then install the other IO80211Family.kext from the archive and reboot. Download KisMac Trunk r319 and add AirPort Extreme Passive Mode. Scan. And the moment you see a network exit out of KisMac and scan for networks in the Airport icon.

If is says AirPort off in System Prefrences try enabling and disabling another interface (I used my ethernet) and the try turning on AirPort again.

By the way my System is with the iPC 10.5.6 Distro (updated to 10.5.8)

IO80211Family.kext.zip

IO80211Family_First.kext.zip

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I found out that KisMac and AirPort will only find networks when I startup with my Netgear WG111V3 and run the Netgear software while I run KisMac. It will find networks almost immediatly and then select a network from the AirPort menu and then you can disconnect the WG111v3... How weird...?

I can't find anything?

I can't use my Atheros AR5007EG at all! Even though I chose the kext during install of iPC. It recognizes, and shows an AirPort menu, but it doesn't find any networks, no matter what...

• 3 weeks later...
i don't see the list of connection in kismac...

i have an acer aspire one a150l. airport is active with a yellow indicator, but i don't see the connection... :\

i have iaktos 10.5.4

I have downloaded the kext from here, but it's not working for my acer aspire one a150l. So I've modified the code from kext. My Wifi ever working but now is not again...

• 3 weeks later...

manage to get it working at eeepc 701 4G

- install all kext's like in many topic's

and follow this

1.Before switching off computer switch off wireless

2.Start computer

3.Start kismac , switch on wireless

4.Go to kismac preferences -> drivers -> remove and add Airport extreme passive mode

5.Start scan , when wireless show up , switch off scanning

6.Go to task bar airport icon and connect your wireless

works 99% times !!