Leo4AllV3 Dell Studio Graphics and WiFi

CompCrasher86

221 posts in this topic

More details about "starting hibernating sleepimage has garbage hibernating failed" message at boot begin, and how to delete it :

There are different sleep mode that a mac can use :

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.

1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while "sleeping," and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.

3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.

5 - This is the same as mode 1, but it's for those using secure virtual memory (in System Preferences -> Security).

7 - This is the same as mode 3, but it's for those using secure virtual memory.

to know which mode you are using you can type this in terminal :

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

PCEfi V9 from netkas allows now hackintosh to use Hibernate mode (AKA deep sleep, mode Number 1), the system uses an image called sleepimage to wake up from this mode, this image is located here : /var/vm/sleepimage and is as big as Ram on your laptop (mine is 3 GB). For reasons i don't know, on our laptop this image is corrupted and can not be used properly when the system is set with Mode 1 deepsleep, and sends an error message at boot...

To delete the sleepimage unusable which gives error message (and to gain more space on your disk...) just type this in terminal :

sudo -s
rm /var/vm/sleepimage

But if you keep deepsleep (number 1) mode, another image will be made, that's why you have to change in mode number 0 (or may be 3)

to change your sleep mode type this :

sudo -s
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode X

While X is the mode you choose

That's what i understood about this issue and how to fix it reading different threads...

And it works well, no more error message at boot...

cheers

I just tested again the EHCIsleepenabler from superhai and still works "somewhat" in 10.5.6 (on my system without graphic card supported) :

> with deepsleep (mode 1) the screen freezes and becomes grey, (the desktop comes back after sleep), the hard drive stops but fans still runing on...

> With sleep mode 0 the screen doesn't change (but freeze), hard drive stops but fan still runing...

In both modes there aren't any issues after wake up, sound still works etc...

I'm curious to know what happens with Intel video card...

So I havnt booted into OSX successfully for a while, and I'm thinking of just bailing out on the Leo4All and upgrading to iAtkos. I dont have the time to do it now but I will give it a shot soon. And no, I'm not using PCEFI9 as far as I'm concerned, so that could be part of the problem. Either way, Leo4All is outdated and we are on to bigger and better things, i.e. iatkos

Just a quick announcement. The mobility issue is frame buffer and binary, I just spoke with LastExile and there are new Frame Buffers being released in a few days so hopefully the new ATY_Flicker will take care of this. I will post more info as it becomes available.

Just a quick announcement. The mobility issue is frame buffer and binary, I just spoke with LastExile and there are new Frame Buffers being released in a few days so hopefully the new ATY_Flicker will take care of this. I will post more info as it becomes available.

Nice to hear there is still some hope... Thanks again to LastExil and Crew for all the hard work...

I also tested to uninstall ATI drivers from Vista and the results are the same as in OSX : fan running all the time and sleep mode unusable, so this means that fan and sleep issue will surely be solved with video support... :)

I have tried both iAtkos and iDeneb and I prefer the iDeneb, install just my .02

Ridgeline, what is your .02 ?

Hey Boombeng,

Just tried that stuff with sleepimage, and here's what i've got:

mode 0 - screen goes black, hard drive stops, fans still running, and i cannot woke the laptop up from that sleep state, holding the power button helps though)

mode 1 - everything is absolutely the same, except when i go to sleep, all the lids on front panel (ie volume plus and minus) flash like they do when you turn on your laptop. and still i cannot wake up...

So i used the method you described - removed sleepimage from /var/vm and set hibenatemode to 0 to disable that silly image has garbage lines at boot.

will still look at this as i really want my sleep mode to work :)

mode 0 - screen goes black, hard drive stops, fans still running, and i cannot woke the laptop up from that sleep state, holding the power button helps though)

mode 1 - everything is absolutely the same, except when i go to sleep, all the lids on front panel (ie volume plus and minus) flash like they do when you turn on your laptop. and still i cannot wake up...

Did you test that with EHCISleepEnabler ?

Well, I thought it was only a Video card problem but it doesn't seem anymore, and fan still runing while sleep means CPU still runing (?)... Also it's probably linked to the 9 warning message from DSDT patching... ??? :D

Did you test that with EHCISleepEnabler ?

Also it's probably linked to the 9 warning message from DSDT patching... ??? :(

Damn :) was doing it all in a hurry yesterday, so i missed the part with EHCISleepEnabler, and the answer is, No, i didn't used it :(

Will try again today/tomorrow and post back with the results.

Btw, I think i'll agree that those 9 warnings are the reason for improper sleep functioning...

And some questions to you guys, what did you use the Wifi button for? ( if you use it of course :) )

I'm asking since I found the thread in here, where a girl made Dell media direct button to load winblows while original power button loads Os X (or vice versa), but since we don't have Media Direct button but do have Wifi (the one that is opposite to power on/off button) I wonder, if there's a chance we could use it?

yep, thanks ridgeline, figured that out already, but i doubt that it's possible to turn laptop on using that LED button.... since on the laptop used in the tutorial in the link above, media direct button is a real button, not the led-touch-stuff whatever :thumbsup_anim:

It is not possible to boot with Media Direct button because it only works when the laptop is already turned on, it's not the same as others laptops like XPS on which Media Direct allows to turn on the laptop without Windows to read a DVD thanks to a special partition, managed by the bios... and if you install a bootloader on this partition instead of Media Direct app- it can boot but i have read there are some issues, using this trick can desactivate Windows partition...

I just noticed the Wifi Catcher button does work when the laptop is off, there are flashing light each time I press it... but dell studio Bios doesn't manage media direct partition...

It would be very nice to have a button to boot directly windows and another one for OSX but It doesn't look so good

Cheers

Not to doubt you on the media direct button but from completely turned off I simply touched my media direct but just now and it comes up and shows the media direct screen briefly and then boots me into OSX as it is the only thing installed on my system.... Strange HUH

Not to doubt you on the media direct button but from completely turned off I simply touched my media direct but just now and it comes up and shows the media direct screen briefly and then boots me into OSX as it is the only thing installed on my system.... Strange HUH

Hmmm... good news, but on my system Dell Media Direct button is dead until Vista is on, and I can not see any third partition, may i erased it ? Do you have one ?

That would be the one.....

On a side note.. I am in the process of making a post installer for the drivers that we all need. So far I have the 1510-N wifi The audio, the SD Card reader. Those were the easy ones.

I will include a powermanagement and I need to figure out how to get the ethernet part to work with a installer.

The goal for this is to have a simple package that can be downloaded and run after you install OSX by any method you choose.

Any suggestions or drivers that need to be included please let me know

That would be the one.....

On a side note.. I am in the process of making a post installer for the drivers that we all need. So far I have the 1510-N wifi The audio, the SD Card reader. Those were the easy ones.

I will include a powermanagement and I need to figure out how to get the ethernet part to work with a installer.

The goal for this is to have a simple package that can be downloaded and run after you install OSX by any method you choose.

Any suggestions or drivers that need to be included please let me know

Here is a quick beta version.... Click Here

Great! Good job Ridge! Yes we can!

About ethernet, you can add my kext without any problem, will just need to add a read me to explain how to make it work with the terminal or the script, here is the link to download it :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963461

May be you could also add the I8kfan kext and GUI ; and also the modded trackpad stuff (the driver, the daemon and the plist ?)

cheers

New Update for the post installer..... this is version 3 it has the I8KFan driver and program as well as working power management. We need to try and find a way to stream line the 2 finger scroll before I can add that to the installer. I would also like to try and find a way to include the Dell 1397 wifi card however it only requires the script to be run so I am not entirely sure on that one.... is there anything else you guys can think of that might be beneficial.

Click Here for Dell Studio Post Installer v3

I need a beta tester for my Dell 1397 Wifi installer. if someone will test and report back it would be a big help I would test it but don't have anything with that card in it.

Thanks,

I'll do, report back in a few minutes...

Wait, the problem is that it is allready installed on my system, i gonna try to erase the device in plist and install...