Leo4AllV3 Dell Studio Graphics and WiFi

CompCrasher86

221 posts in this topic

Here is the translation from a french thread writen by Raiden :

With this method you have to be in 10.5.4 and you must use Kernel 9.4.0 Vanillia.

Start the update with apple menu, not a downloaded file, and during download type this in terminal :

sudo -s

press enter and type your password

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ;done

press enter

When the download is finished you can reboot, it will reboot automaticly twice, and at the end you can enjoy :P

I've tried it when i used Ideneb 10.5.4 and it worked very well...

See I am still using leo4allv3 which is 10.5.2 and Im pretty sure I tried that method and after the first reboot, all was lost and a new install was needed. Very inconvenient

Oh ridgeline, sorry, I was using my diagnostics from the 2nd kext you posted, not the 3rd one. With the third one, the headphones jack closest to the front of the laptop, it gives out audio but does not mute the internal speakers. The middle jack (headphones jack 2) mutes the internal speakers but doesnt give out audio. The third jack, the mic/line-in I havnt tried yet cause Im just using the internal microphone which so far works well.

The second kext would crash audio, the third one is more stable and reliable. Im still going to wait for the headphones fix then I'll write you into the master post, great job though, I spent hours on end trying to figure out the pin-maps and jacks and all that crud. The farthest I ever got was it being recognized but not usable. Other than the headphones issue, I have only run into two others. When first playing a song or sound or something, the audio stutters for a sec then works fine until you stop the music, then wait a bit and play it again. Also, if I am listening to music and the computer tries to play another sound, the audio distorts for a second. Minor issues. Deja vu I think I've made this post before...

oh by the way I'm making bluetooth my special project but I think the problem is that it is being recognized as a USB device. It looks like lots of the values in iobluetoothfamily.kext are for USB bluetooth dongles, however our btooth 370 is not a dongle. Im thinking maybe I'll compare the entries for a mini-pci bluetooth to a usb dongle entry. Only thing is, my vista is oddly unbootable at the moment so I cant do the "uninstall" trick to get the light active, so that may be part of my problem

First of all great work, and I appreciate the effort you guys have made! If I may, I would like to offer a few additions to your tutorial.

Concerning preperation: I made sure I had the bcm43xx script on a usb drive, The most recent sound fix as well as the dell laptop post installer found Here. make sure you get the latest version!

Concerning video: when you reboot after install preparing for the first boot, those of us with the x3100 will see nothing but black or if using an alternate display, gibberish. Your method currently is time consuming and for the very impatient like me, not easily suffered :D

What you should do at first boot is boot into single user mode as mentioned using -s

When it is done loading, mount drive rw as it instructs above the prompt.

Do this:

mkdir /System/Library/Extensions/Backup
mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3* /System/Library/Extensions/Backup/
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && touch /System/Library/Extensions

Why do this? well it causes the mac to boot up in vesa mode which supports our card and you can see stuff. This is also only temporary until all the other stuff is done. The last line is the command line way to update permissions. When you login install the post install package and be sure to install the x3100 driver in there. and if I recall correctly I had to install the hda enabler, but I dont exactly recall. I am now after having used it for a day going to install the dual core stutter kext as well.

Follow the rest of the tutorial and the sleep display trick is cool, works like a charm. This should have saved you at least 10 minutes. and no usb mouse needed either.

As I remember some more things I will add them. I physically broke my ethernet port (laptop fell over onto the cord and it shoved the port in popping the chip off the board i was like OMG!! )

btw The fsb is off a little bit too, thats why our clocks drift.

If anyone wants a hand I wouldnt mind helpin out, dont bother pm'ing me, I dont check them here. You can, however, IM me at mourningair "at symbol" hotmail dawt com through msnmsngr or through gtalk: cky1billlion "at symbol" gmail dot com.

oh by the way I'm making bluetooth my special project but I think the problem is that it is being recognized as a USB device. It looks like lots of the values in iobluetoothfamily.kext are for USB bluetooth dongles, however our btooth 370 is not a dongle. Im thinking maybe I'll compare the entries for a mini-pci bluetooth to a usb dongle entry. Only thing is, my vista is oddly unbootable at the moment so I cant do the "uninstall" trick to get the light active, so that may be part of my problem

Hi CompCrasher,

if you want more info about your "special project" here is what i found :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=966613

The ID i show is a dongle one but there are also some who aren't..

I didn't manage to do better, but if you can, all dell studio users would be happy ;)

Good luck

Boombeng, just as your post thread suggests, we are probably going to have to write up an enabler. I have tried injecting our device IDs and PIDs into the iobluetoothfamily where it differs from the other 2046's but it is not being recognized...

Boombeng, just as your post thread suggests, we are probably going to have to write up an enabler. I have tried injecting our device IDs and PIDs into the iobluetoothfamily where it differs from the other 2046's but it is not being recognized...

Dell Studio 15 + Leopard

dell-studio_17_tangerine.jpg + MAC-OSX-Leopard.gif

The Dell Studio is a nice laptop made by Dell Quality-wise standing between the Inspiron and the XPS. It was made for entertainment, and thus it makes a wonderful victim for OSX

I installed on a Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 4gb Ram, Intel ICH8 Based chipset, GMAX3100 Intel Graphics, A nice slot-loading drive, Dell Wireless 1397 (Broadcom 4315), Webcam, bluetooth, and to top it all off, IDT High Definition Audio

Alright everybody so do you have a Dell Studio 15? Well then this guide might be right for you! This guide is based upon the install for my laptop, the specs of which are found above and in my signature

The two or three pieces that will probably differentiate my studio from yours is the graphics card, the wifi card, and maybe the sound card. I have the Intel GMAX3100 in my laptop, and it is fully compatible with OSX (QE/CI) full 1280X800 resolution and everything. The WiFi card, the Dell Wireless 1397 is easily compatible with my modified kext. The IDT audio is now working, scroll down a couple posts and ridgeline has uploaded kexts that I can confirm working. After he is totally done and releases a final kext, I will put it in this main post.

PLEASE NOTE: THE ATI RADEON HD3400 SERIES IS NOT WORKING YET

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE NOR WILL I LISTEN TO ANY COMPLAINTS THAT YOU OR I "BROKE YOUR COMPUTER" THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS OUT OF MY OWN GOODWILL AND I AM SIMPLY DOCUMENTING WHAT WORKS OR ME. IF YOU BREAK OR RUIN YOUR LAPTOP, GET SUED BY APPLE, OR ANYTHING ELSE, I AM MOST DEFINATELY NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Also, I aplogize for the lack of pictures. I have many many screenshots I took but I can not figure out how to upload them and get them into this thread. Photobucket will not allow me to upload .tiff image files so I cant figure out the whole hosting situation

Also, this is my first tutorial... like ever so please excuse if I am not the master of tutorial writing. Feel free to post or pm me if you dont understand why or what I said

Alright lets start this!

First, your going to need the following:

• Your compatible Dell Studio laptop with a well-charged battery and the power adaptor.
  • A usb mouse (for a period of time when the trackpad will not work
  • My customized .zip file attached to this post (its at the bottom)
  • Patience
  • Leo4Allv3 DVD install disk. (I will not cover how to get the install disk because of the whole controversiality thing. I will refuse any PM's or e-mails or anything asking me how to get it)
  • Patience (This whole task can become quite frustrating, especially if you mess up)

I am not going to cover dualbooting or partitioning in this guide because it can get realllllly complicated and Im too lazy to write a guide for that, so I will leave that to you to find out. If you still cant find any information, post here or PM me and I may be able to help.

Alright first off, you need to restart your laptop and boot off the DVD. On the studio, you press F12 at the bios boot screen and choose CD/DVD once you put the DVD in the drive.

Next, it will give you whats called a darwin prompt, dont do anything, just let it count down to 0. Then a lot of text will flash (then it will go small) and then eventually it will load into the installer. Have patience, it may look like it has frozen but chances are its just fine.

So now your in the installer, choose your language and press the little arrow.

After thats done loading, Launch Disk Utility from the top bar....

Now, here is where you set up your drives as you like them. Select the partition you want to install to (create them beforehand through windows or gparted) and choose erase tab, type in the name you want the drive to be and erase.

When done, exit disk utility. and proceed through the installer until you see the "Customize" button. When you do, click on it. The following options are what I chose, and I suggest you do as well:

• For kernel, choose Vanilla 9.2.2. It is as close as you can get to running OSX identically to a MAC, or so thats what the Vanilla reputation is.
  • Under AppleSMBIOS, I chose Macbook. As far as I know, this is optional but I like when system preferences refers to my laptop as a Macbook =)
  • Choose the Power Management bundle, so you can see your battery meter.
    Now for the third party drivers....
  • Choose Intel ICHx under chipset
  • Do not choose anything for audio
  • Choose GMAX3100 for Video
  • Choose Broadcom WLAN for Network

Even though we will be replacing the IO80211.kext, it doesnt hurt to have it there already. I myself chose it because I wanted my modified kext to include as many Broadcom cards as possible, just for compatibility reasons.

Also, I suggest letting it install the useful apps, they are indeed quite useful. One of them, kexthelper, is great for installing kext and BBedit trial is great for editing and modifying plist files, etc. Well thats all I chose, and it worked for me...

Now wait and let it install. It may appear to freeze at the beginning of install but that is normal, the first package is quite large and you should also totally ignore the time remaining countdown, it is totally wrong. Overall install for me took around 20 or 30 minutes, dont worry if yours takes longer.

So anyways, once its done, it will ask you to reboot, play along and let it reboot. Now heres where the fun comes in. If you are one of the lucky folks, it will bring you right to darwin prompt to boot OSX, if you are unlucky (4/5 times I'm unlucky) you will get an HFS+ Partition error. If you dont, just go ahead an skip the next section

Fixing HFS+ Partition Error

This is usually cause by some of Vistas files. So the fix to this is simple. If you are dualbooting and dont want to use the darwin bootloader as your primary bootloader, you will have to get some help on this elsewhere. Anyways, to restore darwin bootloader to working order you are going to have to boot off your install DVD for OSX again. However, once you get to the OSX DVD's darwin screen, press F8, type "-s" without the quotes, and press enter. This will boot you into single user mode, much like Command Prompt in windows. Now type in

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

This will tell Fdisk that you want to work with hard drive 0 (your internal hard drive) Now type "print" and press enter. This will give you a list of the partitions on the drive. The one that is HFS+ (always appears to be the one with the asterisk in front of the number but I cant say for sure) and that is the partition that Mac is on. Now, type "flag #" and replace # with the number of the partition Mac is on. Press enter, wait a sec, it should say "Partition # set active" or something like that. Now if you type update and press enter, it will update the mbr that you have loaded into fdisk at the time. Now you need to type "write" and press enter and it will write the loaded mbr to the hard drive. Type quit, press enter, and type reboot. Press enter again, and your computer will restart, booting Mac.

Now, if you have the Intel GMAX3100, we are in the home stretch but not there quite yet. When booting up Apple from your hard drive, you will notice the screen will eventually appear to be going into the nice Apple interface, but then your screen will turn off. Dont fret, this is normal. What is happpening, is the display is for some reason going to sleep. Now wait like 30 seconds, unplug the power adaptor and any usb mouse from the side of your laptop, and close the lid. Now I can not stress this enough... leave it alone. For a full 15 minutes, no less, just let the laptop be. No matter how tempted you are, dont open the lid. At one point, min even rebooted and I wanted to open it sooo bad, well don't! After at least 15 minutes (no more than 20) open the lid and move your finger around on the trackpad. Chances are this will do nothing. Now press the control key on your keyboard... Voila! welcome to the OSX setup wizard. Your trackpad is probably disabled so nows the time to plug in your external usb mouse. Choose your language, choose your keyboard language, and start going through the setup.

Under "Do you already own a mac" choose the bottom one, because chances are you dont need to transfer files from another mac, am I right? Also, choose "This computer does not connect to the internet" when asked to do so. Fill in your personal information is pretty self explanitory and then enter information for your account, etc. Next it will ask you to choose an account picture. Feel free to take one using the webcam, which works natively =), or choose one from apples nifty user picture collection. Finis the wizard and you will be greeted by the infamous Apple desktop.

You'll also proably get a keyboard not recognized screen. If this happens just play along with what it wants you to do, then eventually it will say it failed and you can press skip and it wont bother you ever again. Dont worry your keyboard will work fine

CONGRATS, you made it this far. Now just one thing we have to set up before you forget..

Obviously you dont want to wait 15 minutes with a closed lid everytime you start your laptop up. There are two options for this, I will go through both. I, however, personally use both in case one fails, I suggest you do the same thing.

Expose Corner Trick:

This is the easiest to setup but also somewhat inconvenient on boot. Go to system preferences and click on Expose & Spaces. For the bottom left corner of the screen under the Expose options, choose "Sleep Display" Close out of this and your all set. What this does, is whenever you boot up, all you have to do is move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen and the display will turn on. Just imagine you are moving an invisible mouse and a couple swipes of your finger towards the bottom left corner of the touchpad (or usb mouse) will do the trick.

expose window

Speaking of the trackpad, you are probably puzzled as to why its not working yet... It will be reactivated next time we restart the computer dont worry.

Doing the corner thing will probably annoy you, so I included a little application with the driver package, courtesy of espressoreport.com, and they taught me how to set it up so that it automatically runs when you boot. What it does, is automates the expose corner thing for the most part, but all you have to do is press a key on the keyboard or touch the mouse, much like waking a regular computer from sleep. So follow my instructions below and it will be a nice fix. Keep the expose corner though, just as a fallback in case this program gets wiped by an update or accidentally or something.

SleepDisplay Method:

The application I included with the driver package is named SleepDisplay. I would ask that you put this file straight in your home folder, the one that has your name as the title for you OSX beginners. Now open a terminal window. If you are unfamiliar with terminal, the rest of this tutorial and OSX in general may be quite difficult so I suggest you learn it quick. Anyways, enter the following commands into terminal

sudo su -

(Authorize it by entering your password)

pico /etc/rc.local

now in pico, copy and paste the following into the blank file (Replacing my name with the name of your home folder

# Sleep display on boot

/Users/Matt/SleepDisplay.app/Contents/MacOS/sleepdisplay

Now press Control X to exit, press Y to save and then enter to confirm

Now enter "exit" twice and close terminal. You should now be able to boot and when the screen goes black, it should automatically come back or you can bring it back by just touching the touchpad/pressing a key on the keyboard. No more of this sleep for 15 minutes or expose hot corner crud.

Now, lets tackle WiFi. At this point, no offense but Im sick of writing this guide so Im going to make it simple. I have included my modified copy of IO80211Family.kext. Just drag it into kexthelper(which should be in your applications folder if you chose the "useful applications option" (if you didnt, tough luck, go download it) like so:

Enter your password and press "Easy install" It really is an easy install... soon it will say that all appears well and to reboot and cross your fingers

And in a couple seconds after a that, it will pop up sayin it found a new network device.

If this did not work, I suggest the broadcom43xx enabler method. It is a file, easily available with a nice little install script and everything. Its covered many places around the forum so I wont go through the trouble

No matter how tempted you are to setup WiFi now, DONT. Its really a good idea to restart first. Once restarted, click on the newly appeared airport icon in the menu bar and open network preferences. A little message will appear announcing your new aiport and asking you to confirm blah blah blah. Ok just click apply at the bottom, and then your all set to set up your WiFi! If your trying to connect and it for some reason says "connection failed", You either forgot to click apply or you need to restart again.

By the way, if you are curious how I made the WiFi kext compatible with the Dell1397, feel free to shoot me a PM, I will be glad to describe editing kexts and injecting your wireless cards information into it

Ethernet Adaptor (BCM5784M):

Addition: Thanks to Boombeng, Magnat2, noob1x, and many others, our ethernet now works. Heres what I did to get their kexts working.

Ok before we install you have to understand what we are going to do. The kext that boombeng has edited was noob1x's, but he injected our Device ID, 1698, into the file instead of the 1693 that was there. Anyways, this driver has to be activated on boot before it is used. Typically, one would use terminal to do that. Magnat2 came up with a nice applescript that will do that for us. So... First off your going to wanna get a hold of noob1x's AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext as edited by boombeng. This will be included in rev2 of my driver pack. You are also going to need magnat 2's "BCM 5787 on" script.

Alright, first things first, install the kext file by dragging it into kexthelper, entering your password, and doing "easy install". If you wanna do it manually, go ahead but kexthelper is much easier.

The next part I found undocumented, so I kinda had to improvise here and fill in the blanks. Magnat2 said to put it in the userscripts folder, and I bet only half of you know where that is. So open up your main install drive, go to library, and then go into the Scripts folder. Now for organization sake, create a new folder in here called Ethernet Enabler. In that folder, paste Magnat2's BCM 5787 on script.

Now, you need to get a way to easily access that script, and what a better way than the script icon in the menu bar. Open up your applications folder in finder and go into "AppleScript" folder. In there click on the app labeled "AppleScript Utility" Now in the window that pops up, click "Show Script menu in menu bar" You will notice that the script icon will appear up in the menu bar, its actually kinda cool looking.

Anyways, thats all there is too it. Restart and when you want to turn on your ethernet, click the scripts icon, go into Ethernet enabler, and click on the script. Voila!

Edit: There is a possibility that upon the restart you will get a kernal panic, I did. If this happens to you, reboot and press F8 at Darwin. Type in "-s" just like we did when fixing HFS+ partition errors. Once it gets to the termina prompt, you need to enter "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5787M" and hit enter. This will get rid of that nasty conflict. Type exit and your laptop will continue to boot normally. Once you get back into OSX, install the kext again in kexthelper but this time run the Extensions-Repair app under your applications folder. It will be included in the driverpack rev2 aswell, because it is a neat utility.

Now Im pretty sure you have enough information here to get your Dell Studio in decent working state.

I have achieved two finger scrolling (like on the real macs) but I am tired so Ill save that for another post.

Audio as well, will be saved for another post, or at least until I am positive there is a well tested stable solution

Enjoy!

--> SWEETNESS! Thanks Dude! This works amazingly well.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I would like to thank topicstarter and all you guys for putting this stuff together and making a great guide, that helped me to install osx almost w/o problems on my Dell Studio 1535 (see signatue).

However, there still were some problems, which i solved for now, so I would like to share them with you, in case some else experiences the same ones.

To begin with, I've started my installation with the iDeneb 10.5.5 Leopard CD. Having read lots of tutorials before, I already was prepared for the sleep display trick to workout, however, it didn't worked for me. Can't really explain why, but I tried like 10 times with different drivers and fixes, and none of them really worked - my display just went to sleep for forever. After wasting a day on this, I decided to grab some other version of OS X, and got the Kallyway 10.5.2 one. The installation took like twice as time comparing with the iDeneb's 10.5.5, but I believe that happened due to selected fonts, and some useless soft that I selected for some reason.

Anyways, Kallyways OS X successfully installed and the black screen again appeared. This time I managed to woke it up just by waiting for like 10 minutes. So it works pretty fine now, with the CompCrasher86 sleepdisplay.app ( thanx for that :) ).

What was a real pain are the video card drivers, since I believe I had some old, outdated video drivers in my OS X Image, which critically needed to be updated. The problem was that my GMA X3100 worked fine, except the CI was software and QE disabled.

However, i managed to solve that one using the kext's from this post and the procedure was the following:

• First install the Apple graphics update (everything except Natit.Kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext), Don't Restart, and then install Natit.Kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext files. Then repair permission using Disk Utility and reboot.

It flawlessly worked on my laptop with

Intel GMA X3100

Device ID: 0x2A02

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Be sure to check your's Device ID in and modify the kext's with your own if needed.

Once again, many thanx for putting this all together, as I found it very very useful.

P.S.:

CompCrasher86, maybe you would consider adding the stuff about video drivers to the first post, since I'm more than sure that I'm not the last one, who installed OS X with the "old" video drivers.

P.P.S.:

While writing all this, completely forgot about my questions regarding

a) sleepdisplay.app : Dunno why, but it works like only in 50% of my reboots. I mean that approx. every second startup it doesn't work automatically, and I have to move mouse to my corner where the sleep mode is set to. Maybe someone found how this can be fixed? or is there a permanent fix for this sleep stuff?

:D my USB ports : they are not really working. Only thing that works is my usb mouse. I also tried my USB flash key for 2 Gb and my iPhone which eventually didn't work. Just nothing happened and that's it. Is there any fix for this? (I suppose it is an USB drivers problem, and I will search for some info about it on forum a bit later.

c) my Desktop : again, no idea why, but sometimes by desktop loads without any icons on it, without wallpaper and right mouse/trackpad click is not working which is quite annoying. It's easily fixed by the reboot, however, I'd prefer some other method to permanently fix this, if possible.

That's all.

Cheers ;)

mr. krabs... first off, I can only take credit for finding the sleepdisplay.app and explaining how to use it, I would love to take credit for making it but unfortunately I did not, I found it at espressoreport.com I beleive.

As for the graphics drivers, I have not had success with anything older than Leo4Allv3 so the graphics drivers I am working with are more current, so I do not have that much experience in updating the drivers.

As for the USB ports, I beleive that may be a problem with your chipset drivers. In Leo4AllV3, you choose the ICH(#)M drivers during install, which match up with the Intel chipset on the studio perfectly. I am not sure what you were able to choose on your distribution...

As for the desktop, I have had that problem before I figured out the auto-sleep and I had to use the expose corner. Try logging out and then back in again, that should fix the desktop. The permanent fix, I am not sure of because the problem dissapeared when I figured out the auto-sleep trick

im having a hard time with the video problem, i choose -x option at boot, try with an external monitor, to no avail, also use the Graphics boot option, it starts, i have a blue background and then it goes black, if i switch the output to the external monitor i get white stripes...

any help?

using ideneb 10.5.5 i have many other "distributions" of hackintoshes but this is the best ive tried...

i alredy installed succesfully in a similar studio but with ati radeon 3450 (and since that vcard is not supported im trying to get it up and running on this studio)

If what boombeng says is true, which I will verify over the next coming week, I will be overjoyed to edit the guide because sleep is one of my most saught for features right now...

Tetsu I am quite confused, have you been following my guide? I dont remember requiring a boot in safe mode, external display, graphics boot or anything? Just boot normally and when the notebook screen shuts off, shut the lid, unplug the charger, and leave it for 15 minutes. Come back, open the lid, wiggle the mouse/press a button on the keyboard and it should come up, then set up your sleepdisplay app and or expose hotcorner

ohh boombeng, mind posting a link for the benefit of the guide? (ill find it eventually but Im a lazy person)

CompCrasher86, seems like logging in and out helped, since the display problem is gone for now. Also i managed to fix my USB problem by using the Incompatibility problem guide from here.

I will also give a try on this experiment, since sleep is also quite a prirority to my almost perfectly working hackintosh :D However, my knowledge in os x are not so good, so i can easily fail.

Hi,

Working SD card reader! :)

Thanks to Quinielascom

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=940660

Note that it is still in a kind of beta testing

Install his kext available on the third post with kext helper, repair permission and reboot (it's what i did)

It doesn't work with SDHC card for me, and can not boot if you let a card in the slot

Bye

damn, cardreader is something that i completely forgot about :D :D i even forgot that my notebook has it :D

will give this hack a try in the everning, thanks :)

EDIT: This hack worked for me too. card reader is functioning with my SD 2GB Panasonic card.

I myself did not get the fingerprint scanner option, but I wish those who have it great luck

Oh and also:

The guide was updated with Ridgeline's audio solution (seeing as this looks like the driver we have for now), the SD card fix, and I changed it so that now the WiFi process will just use the broadcom enabler method, seeing as it is more common. I also have updated the Studio Driver Pack to Version 2 and it includes: The 2 Finger Scrolling files I used (although I have not written a tutorial for it yet, feel free to experiment), audio, wifi, ethernet, sd reader, and a useful apps folder. Enjoy!

Edit: The 2 Finger Scrolling is being uploaded separately because it is too big, it will be right next to the driver pack

Double Edit: I apologize, I uploaded the new files while in Vista and somehow I accidentally made them as .rar files. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, I will re-upload later