Leo4AllV3 Dell Studio Graphics and WiFi

CompCrasher86

221 posts in this topic

Dell Studio 15 + Leopard

dell-studio_17_tangerine.jpg + MAC-OSX-Leopard.gif

The Dell Studio is a nice laptop made by Dell Quality-wise standing between the Inspiron and the XPS. It was made for entertainment, and thus it makes a wonderful victim for OSX

I installed on a Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 4gb Ram, Intel ICH8 Based chipset, GMAX3100 Intel Graphics, A nice slot-loading drive, Dell Wireless 1397 (Broadcom 4315), Webcam, bluetooth, and to top it all off, IDT High Definition Audio

Alright everybody so do you have a Dell Studio 15? Well then this guide might be right for you! This guide is based upon the install for my laptop, the specs of which are found above and in my signature

The two or three pieces that will probably differentiate my studio from yours is the graphics card, the wifi card, and maybe the sound card. I have the Intel GMAX3100 in my laptop, and it is fully compatible with OSX (QE/CI) full 1280X800 resolution and everything. The WiFi card, the Dell Wireless 1397 is easily compatible with my modified kext. The IDT audio is now working, scroll down a couple posts and ridgeline has uploaded kexts that I can confirm working. After he is totally done and releases a final kext, I will put it in this main post.

PLEASE NOTE: THE ATI RADEON HD3400 SERIES IS NOT WORKING YET

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE NOR WILL I LISTEN TO ANY COMPLAINTS THAT YOU OR I "BROKE YOUR COMPUTER" THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS OUT OF MY OWN GOODWILL AND I AM SIMPLY DOCUMENTING WHAT WORKS OR ME. IF YOU BREAK OR RUIN YOUR LAPTOP, GET SUED BY APPLE, OR ANYTHING ELSE, I AM MOST DEFINATELY NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Also, I aplogize for the lack of pictures. I have many many screenshots I took but I can not figure out how to upload them and get them into this thread. Photobucket will not allow me to upload .tiff image files so I cant figure out the whole hosting situation

Also, this is my first tutorial... like ever so please excuse if I am not the master of tutorial writing. Feel free to post or pm me if you dont understand why or what I said

Alright lets start this!

First, your going to need the following:

• Your compatible Dell Studio laptop with a well-charged battery and the power adaptor.
  • A usb mouse (for a period of time when the trackpad will not work
  • My customized .zip file attached to this post (its at the bottom)
  • Patience
  • Leo4Allv3 DVD install disk. (I will not cover how to get the install disk because of the whole controversiality thing. I will refuse any PM's or e-mails or anything asking me how to get it)
  • Patience (This whole task can become quite frustrating, especially if you mess up)

I am not going to cover dualbooting or partitioning in this guide because it can get realllllly complicated and Im too lazy to write a guide for that, so I will leave that to you to find out. If you still cant find any information, post here or PM me and I may be able to help.

Alright first off, you need to restart your laptop and boot off the DVD. On the studio, you press F12 at the bios boot screen and choose CD/DVD once you put the DVD in the drive.

Next, it will give you whats called a darwin prompt, dont do anything, just let it count down to 0. Then a lot of text will flash (then it will go small) and then eventually it will load into the installer. Have patience, it may look like it has frozen but chances are its just fine.

So now your in the installer, choose your language and press the little arrow.

After thats done loading, Launch Disk Utility from the top bar....

Now, here is where you set up your drives as you like them. Select the partition you want to install to (create them beforehand through windows or gparted) and choose erase tab, type in the name you want the drive to be and erase.

When done, exit disk utility. and proceed through the installer until you see the "Customize" button. When you do, click on it. The following options are what I chose, and I suggest you do as well:

• For kernel, choose Vanilla 9.2.2. It is as close as you can get to running OSX identically to a MAC, or so thats what the Vanilla reputation is.
  • Under AppleSMBIOS, I chose Macbook. As far as I know, this is optional but I like when system preferences refers to my laptop as a Macbook =)
  • Choose the Power Management bundle, so you can see your battery meter.
    Now for the third party drivers....
  • Choose Intel ICHx under chipset
  • Do not choose anything for audio
  • Choose GMAX3100 for Video
  • Choose Broadcom WLAN for Network

Even though we will be replacing the IO80211.kext, it doesnt hurt to have it there already. I myself chose it because I wanted my modified kext to include as many Broadcom cards as possible, just for compatibility reasons.

Also, I suggest letting it install the useful apps, they are indeed quite useful. One of them, kexthelper, is great for installing kext and BBedit trial is great for editing and modifying plist files, etc. Well thats all I chose, and it worked for me...

Now wait and let it install. It may appear to freeze at the beginning of install but that is normal, the first package is quite large and you should also totally ignore the time remaining countdown, it is totally wrong. Overall install for me took around 20 or 30 minutes, dont worry if yours takes longer.

So anyways, once its done, it will ask you to reboot, play along and let it reboot. Now heres where the fun comes in. If you are one of the lucky folks, it will bring you right to darwin prompt to boot OSX, if you are unlucky (4/5 times I'm unlucky) you will get an HFS+ Partition error. If you dont, just go ahead an skip the next section

Fixing HFS+ Partition Error

This is usually cause by some of Vistas files. So the fix to this is simple. If you are dualbooting and dont want to use the darwin bootloader as your primary bootloader, you will have to get some help on this elsewhere. Anyways, to restore darwin bootloader to working order you are going to have to boot off your install DVD for OSX again. However, once you get to the OSX DVD's darwin screen, press F8, type "-s" without the quotes, and press enter. This will boot you into single user mode, much like Command Prompt in windows. Now type in

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

This will tell Fdisk that you want to work with hard drive 0 (your internal hard drive) Now type "print" and press enter. This will give you a list of the partitions on the drive. The one that is HFS+ (always appears to be the one with the asterisk in front of the number but I cant say for sure) and that is the partition that Mac is on. Now, type "flag #" and replace # with the number of the partition Mac is on. Press enter, wait a sec, it should say "Partition # set active" or something like that. Now if you type update and press enter, it will update the mbr that you have loaded into fdisk at the time. Now you need to type "write" and press enter and it will write the loaded mbr to the hard drive. Type quit, press enter, and type reboot. Press enter again, and your computer will restart, booting Mac.

Now, if you have the Intel GMAX3100, we are in the home stretch but not there quite yet. When booting up Apple from your hard drive, you will notice the screen will eventually appear to be going into the nice Apple interface, but then your screen will turn off. Dont fret, this is normal. What is happpening, is the display is for some reason going to sleep. Now wait like 30 seconds, unplug the power adaptor and any usb mouse from the side of your laptop, and close the lid. Now I can not stress this enough... leave it alone. For a full 15 minutes, no less, just let the laptop be. No matter how tempted you are, dont open the lid. At one point, min even rebooted and I wanted to open it sooo bad, well don't! After at least 15 minutes (no more than 20) open the lid and move your finger around on the trackpad. Chances are this will do nothing. Now press the control key on your keyboard... Voila! welcome to the OSX setup wizard. Your trackpad is probably disabled so nows the time to plug in your external usb mouse. Choose your language, choose your keyboard language, and start going through the setup.

Under "Do you already own a mac" choose the bottom one, because chances are you dont need to transfer files from another mac, am I right? Also, choose "This computer does not connect to the internet" when asked to do so. Fill in your personal information is pretty self explanitory and then enter information for your account, etc. Next it will ask you to choose an account picture. Feel free to take one using the webcam, which works natively =), or choose one from apples nifty user picture collection. Finis the wizard and you will be greeted by the infamous Apple desktop.

You'll also proably get a keyboard not recognized screen. If this happens just play along with what it wants you to do, then eventually it will say it failed and you can press skip and it wont bother you ever again. Dont worry your keyboard will work fine

CONGRATS, you made it this far. Now just one thing we have to set up before you forget..

Obviously you dont want to wait 15 minutes with a closed lid everytime you start your laptop up. There are two options for this, I will go through both. I, however, personally use both in case one fails, I suggest you do the same thing.

Expose Corner Trick:

This is the easiest to setup but also somewhat inconvenient on boot. Go to system preferences and click on Expose & Spaces. For the bottom left corner of the screen under the Expose options, choose "Sleep Display" Close out of this and your all set. What this does, is whenever you boot up, all you have to do is move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen and the display will turn on. Just imagine you are moving an invisible mouse and a couple swipes of your finger towards the bottom left corner of the touchpad (or usb mouse) will do the trick.

expose window

Speaking of the trackpad, you are probably puzzled as to why its not working yet... It will be reactivated next time we restart the computer dont worry.

Doing the corner thing will probably annoy you, so I included a little application with the driver package, courtesy of espressoreport.com, and they taught me how to set it up so that it automatically runs when you boot. What it does, is automates the expose corner thing for the most part, but all you have to do is press a key on the keyboard or touch the mouse, much like waking a regular computer from sleep. So follow my instructions below and it will be a nice fix. Keep the expose corner though, just as a fallback in case this program gets wiped by an update or accidentally or something.

SleepDisplay Method:

The application I included with the driver package is named SleepDisplay. I would ask that you put this file straight in your home folder, the one that has your name as the title for you OSX beginners. Now open a terminal window. If you are unfamiliar with terminal, the rest of this tutorial and OSX in general may be quite difficult so I suggest you learn it quick. Anyways, enter the following commands into terminal

sudo su -

(Authorize it by entering your password)

pico /etc/rc.local

now in pico, copy and paste the following into the blank file (Replacing my name with the name of your home folder

# Sleep display on boot

/Users/Matt/SleepDisplay.app/Contents/MacOS/sleepdisplay

Now press Control X to exit, press Y to save and then enter to confirm

Now enter "exit" twice and close terminal. You should now be able to boot and when the screen goes black, it should automatically come back or you can bring it back by just touching the touchpad/pressing a key on the keyboard. No more of this sleep for 15 minutes or expose hot corner crud.

Dell 1397 WiFi

At this point, no offense but Im sick of writing this guide so Im going to make it simple. Edit: Just use the Broadcom 43xx enabler script (which I included in the driverv2 pack) Just cd to the specific directory and and run it in terminal. Instructions included.

No matter how tempted you are to setup WiFi now, DONT. Its really a good idea to restart first. Once restarted, click on the newly appeared airport icon in the menu bar and open network preferences. A little message will appear announcing your new aiport and asking you to confirm blah blah blah. Ok just click apply at the bottom, and then your all set to set up your WiFi! If your trying to connect and it for some reason says "connection failed", You either forgot to click apply or you need to restart again.

Ethernet Adaptor (BCM5784M):

Addition: Thanks to Boombeng, Magnat2, noob1x, and many others, our ethernet now works. Heres what I did to get their kexts working.

Ok before we install you have to understand what we are going to do. The kext that boombeng has edited was noob1x's, but he injected our Device ID, 1698, into the file instead of the 1693 that was there. Anyways, this driver has to be activated on boot before it is used. Typically, one would use terminal to do that. Magnat2 came up with a nice applescript that will do that for us. So... First off your going to wanna get a hold of noob1x's AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext as edited by boombeng. This will be included in rev2 of my driver pack. You are also going to need magnat 2's "BCM 5787 on" script.

Alright, first things first, install the kext file by dragging it into kexthelper, entering your password, and doing "easy install". If you wanna do it manually, go ahead but kexthelper is much easier.

The next part I found undocumented, so I kinda had to improvise here and fill in the blanks. Magnat2 said to put it in the userscripts folder, and I bet only half of you know where that is. So open up your main install drive, go to library, and then go into the Scripts folder. Now for organization sake, create a new folder in here called Ethernet Enabler. In that folder, paste Magnat2's BCM 5787 on script.

Now, you need to get a way to easily access that script, and what a better way than the script icon in the menu bar. Open up your applications folder in finder and go into "AppleScript" folder. In there click on the app labeled "AppleScript Utility" Now in the window that pops up, click "Show Script menu in menu bar" You will notice that the script icon will appear up in the menu bar, its actually kinda cool looking.

Anyways, thats all there is too it. Restart and when you want to turn on your ethernet, click the scripts icon, go into Ethernet enabler, and click on the script. Voila!

Edit: There is a possibility that upon the restart you will get a kernal panic, I did. If this happens to you, reboot and press F8 at Darwin. Type in "-s" just like we did when fixing HFS+ partition errors. Once it gets to the termina prompt, you need to enter "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5787M" and hit enter. This will get rid of that nasty conflict. Type exit and your laptop will continue to boot normally. Once you get back into OSX, install the kext again in kexthelper but this time run the Extensions-Repair app under your applications folder. It will be included in the driverpack rev2 aswell, because it is a neat utility.

SD Card Reader:

Thanks to quinielascom and the Darwin SDHCI Driver for JMicron Devices project on sourceforge, your card reader will work, download this kext (Click Here)and drag it into kexthelper. Install and reboot and theres your card reader

IDT Audio

Thanks to Ridgeline, our IDT audio works. Install the following kext with kexthelper (Click Here) as well as HDAEnabler.kext (widely available but for some odd reason I cant find it right now). Then repair permissions with the repair permissions app (or do it manually) and reboot. Voila, sound.

The audio kext allows you to play music out of your speakers, use your internal mic, and plug in an external mic. Headphones work on one out of two ports but do not mute the built-in speakers when plugged in. The other headphone jack mutes the speakers but does not give out audio

2 Finger Scrolling

The alps touchpad in the studio is fully capable of doing 2-finger scroll. The files uploaded here are taken from the Two Finger Scrolling Tutorial in the genius bar and I have also included an excerpt of the post that I modified with some of my own notes telling you how to get everything set up. I will be working on v2 of 2 Finger Scrolling which will have the files already optimized for the Studio, as they are now, they require tweaking.

2_Finger_Scrolling.rar

Studio Driver Pack V2

Studio15Driversv2.rar

Thanks for the writeup Matt. I think this is a good first step to making a solid writeup that all Studio owners can use. Another method to get the 1397 wireless working is to run the bcm43xx_enabler.sh script instead of replacing kexts. Headings for each step (or, even better, each piece of hardware) might make it easier to find pertinent information for your writeup.

Wireless 1397

Download zip file below (credit goes to McSmart). Unzip and you should get a script file called "bcm43xx_enabler.sh". Drag the script into the volume where your OS X installation is. Then open a terminal and type the following:

cd /
sudo ./bcm43xxenabler.sh

Exit out of terminal and restart. You should be good to go. Keep the script in case a future update corrupts the kext. You might have to run it again. If you have any questions, refer to this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725

bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.1pre.sh.zip

Thanks conroe. Actually, that was my original plan for the Wireless, however I ended up setting up my hackintosh while my internet was down at the house, so I had to edit the file myself. The Broadcom Enabler is a great tool and I suggest it to anybody who would like to use it as an alternative because it sets up the kext to work for many other broadcom cards, should you upgrade in the future. As well, I might add in some more details on how I edited the kext if anybody is interested, just let me know.

Also I think I pointed it out before, this is just the start to my guide. It was written around midnight so I did not go into alot of detail nor may all of the information work for everybody. I hope to get input from other studio users who try and successfully set up hackintosh and slowly but surely I can build upon and edit this tutorial to help others turn this sleek, beautiful line of laptops into good hackintoshes.

As an update, I have not made progress myself on the audio but there are people out there devoted to the cause, and it is only a matter of time before there is a solution available.

conroe mac, thank you for that link, its very useful. I have messaged the person who found it out and with his permission I will integrate the files and info into the guide, Im just awaiting his response before I do that. I can confirm that the audio now works, for the most part. Volume can only be controlled through the program you are using, which is a minor inconvenience but good for now!

Also a warning to fellow studio users, ridglines solution allows the volume to be cranked very very high, probably too high for your speakers to handle, be careful not to blow out your latops internal speakers

sound chipset IDT 92HD73C1 datasheets

... idt.com/?genID=92HD73C1

maybe that will help

there is also an win driver from dell, ...

the linux driver , could possible have some config in it,...

Nice thread you have started here I would just like every one to know I am still working on a perfect audio driver and I will give updates as they become available. I am working on getting the volume controls to work first and then I will move on to adding additional items like mic and headphones and so on....... Please let me know if you have any ideas and I will gladly look into it.

THanks, and keep up the good work on the setup guide.

Ridgeline you are a god. For anybody out there whos kinda lost, ridgeline has developed a solution to get the IDT Audio working, kudos to him

@Ridgeline,

Something I have encountered that I suggest... The dell Studio has two headphones port. Luckily, both are working with your driver. Unfortunately, whenever you plug headphones or speakers into them, the internal speakers do not mute. This is not a problem for me as I usually only use OSX at home or in the studio, but I imagine some users out there would like to be able to listen to music/use osx without their internal speakers being used. Like I said, I could care less, I am so grateful to have sound working, Im just puttin in my 2 cents

I eagerly await your progress, as garageband is only fun to a certain extent without audio in. I have a podcast and being able to hook my mixer in to the mix/linein port would be so so awesome. The internal microphone array would be helpful as well, giving us studio users extreme vidochatting abilities. Once again THANK YOU (By the I noticed that Built-in Microphone is now available as an audio in choice, I see you are making progress) unfortunately I dont think its working, doesnt seem to respond and makes me look like a fool in front of the family when I talk to my microphone, seeing if it works.. hahah good luck and thanks again

Im curious, did anybody have any luck with the bluetooth? Honestly, I never use it but I think maybe in the future I could integrate blutooth syncing once I get a nicer phone. As it is now, I use vista and the object push service to get pictures and songs to and from my RazrV3xx. Ahh the benefits of dualbooting

Oh by the way ridgeline, until I installed your kext, iChat refused to recognize my webcam. Amazingly, it all works now, I have no clue why! I think it had to do with the fact that it wouldnt take anything without an audio input source (in this case its the mysterious "Built-in Microphone" under audio inputs) cant wait till the mic array is working :rolleyes:

Update: With the last kext you released, the headphones ports worked, For some reason, now whenever I plug in headphones or external speakers when OSX is running, the sound card seems to freeze and audio output stops. restarting gets it to work again

thanks for this man! i was having trouble but i figured it out and now i'm installing the OS. this will hopefully save my life because i was having trouble with my studio. i use it to DJ with and bought it so that i could get into video mixing. unfortunately the software wasn't supported by vista 64-bit until recently and also dell didnt release any XP drivers for the Studio. so i had to macguyver it. this laptop has been through alot since i bought in in september. Stock 64bit home premium, to xp, to 32bit ultimate, i was gonna go to vista ultimate 64 and restore the image of the stock studio but i discovered this forum and i believe this will be the best choice until i buy my macbook pro in feb. thanks for this tut!!

i'm running into some snags...

when i try to fix the HFS+ Partition Error, it doesn't take me into a cmd type prompt, it just boots then gets stuck here:

dellstudio2hd8.jpg

also, when i enter sudo su- into terminal and enter my pw, it says that the command is not found. if anyone knows what i'm doing wrong please help me :-) thanks!

and lastly, the kext for wifi installs fine but after reboot there is no airport / wifi recognized. i tried to follow your instructions and i'm sure its an error on my part but is this common and if so does anyone know how to fix these issues? thanks.

ridgeline I am quite jealous. How'd you get the mic working? It appears in the latest kext you put out the microphone is recognized but it doesnt really... work. Also, how did you figure out this long sought after ethernet solution? I could care less about ethernet but I sure would love to have your Audio kext. The one you posted works but it can be kinda buggy and doesnt work with headphones. And what about bluetooth?

Audissey:

That screenshot you posted looks like its hanging on the kernel, very weird. Which one did you choose to install? Also I am confused because you say your getting an HFS+ Partition error and yet right after you imply you can successfully get into Mac when you say you could install the wifi kext? Also, check your hardware. The kext I made only works with the Dell True-mobile 1390, specific to a certain device ID. If you dont have a 1390 with my exact device ID, chances are this kext isnt gunna cut it. Use the Broadcom 43xx enabler method instead.

Oh and as for the terminal error, there should be a space between the "su" and the dash

Hi Comprasher,

You can have a look here for Ethernet,

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963461

About bluetooth ? We have the Dell 370 in studio laptops and it seems the Dell 350 works out of the box, may be we can manage to make it work with edited/hexedited kexts...We first have to find 350 ID to compare, it seems our 370 is a broadcom one

Okay here is a Leopard version of the Kext we have been using for AppleHDA. I will tell you that you will receive a widget error in verbose mode boot however this does not seem to affect anything. I could not get the mic to work on the old kext and I can only assume that is because it is a Tiger not leopard kext. I am still working on the headphones but try this and let me know you will not have volume control and it should also give you external mic input.....

P.S. Boombeng actually got our ethernet working gotta give credit to him.....

P.P.S. you still need the HDAenabler so just install this kext over the old AppleHDA.kext

hey ridgeline, much much better. The built-in mic works and Im so happy. You said above tough that the volume control will not work, but mine does, oh well not gunna argue it haha! Good work and good luck with the headphones.

As for the bluetooth, I kinda went through the bluetooth kext, just randomly injecting our device and pids into anything where I saw broadcom values. Didnt work out to well, not even a sign of it being recognized. Something interesting I noticed. Even before I installed wifi kexts, the wifi light was on. The bluetooth light, however, has been off since the first install Oh and speaking of wifi lights, does anybody else have a very dim wifi light under osx? Mine looks fine under vista but dim under osx

Boombeng, I have an odd situation. Im getting what appears to be kernal panics after installing your kext.

To anybody else who gets these, reboot, press F8 at darwin prompt, type "-s" (yes weve done this before) and once you get the terminal-like interface, type in "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5787M" press enter, put in exit, enter, and your computer will boot normally. Stay put until we find out whats wrong

Never mind I found the problem. Removed the kext, restarted, reinstalled the kext, repaired permissions manually (can also be done with Extension-Repair app included with Leo4All or found in my driver pack) restarted and all was well! Thanks for the ethernet. Even though I know I will probably never use it, its great to have it available if you go to a hotel or something

Guide has been updated with an explanation of how to get Ethernet working. Im going to hold off on the audio explanation until we have headphones working and the final kext is released (thanks to our invaluable ridgeline)

I would just like to add that your system volume control should work and the volume control I mentioned was in reference to the mic input volume control under system preferences.......

Does it show you have the external mic out under system preferences?

ridgeline, I see what you mean. There is one output which is the internal speakers. Volume and balance are controllable through osx and volume touch buttons on the studio work for it. Two inputs, external mic port (volume can be controlled) and built in mic (level cant be controlled) but it doesnt matter cause the mic is already set at a good level for most voice conditions. Thanks alot and good job.

Audissey I have never heard of your problem before, are you using Leo4AllV3? I would try booting off the install DVD and getting into the installer. Then when you get in, go to Utilities and terminal should be there. Just follow the steps as if you were in single user mode. Exit and reboot and hopefully that will have done the job. I can only offer suggestions, it may work it may not.