Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Hey Pros.. I have a problem.... I currently have Asus P6T deluxe OC plam edition with Core i7 920. and Video card 9800GTX+. I tried to install using Kalyway 10.5.2 and IATKO 10.5.5. ....

However, for the kalyway installation i got the same screen that Weavie gets...and cant proceed.. For the IATKO, I am no longer stuck there, but before it enteres the installation screen(white with apple in middle) it reboots.....

I saw u guys using different kernel such as sleepkernel, voodoo kernel.. How do I use that to boot? I am complete noob on this.. So..... Can anyone give a more detailed walkthrough of how to install Mac OS on core i7. Like what to key in at each stage and stuff...

Thank you very much.

@ grassroot

it is the same for every platform,

check the components of your mainboard, (sound, ide-sata controller, grafic chip, network), then you check the bios (set everything right, ahci not ide, advanced processor settings, southbridge, USB)

you will find some tutorials on that, if the DVD boots you can modify the installation according your mainboard components.

To switch kernels you might need a running system....

Hey Pros.. I have a problem.... I currently have Asus P6T deluxe OC plam edition with Core i7 920. and Video card 9800GTX+. I tried to install using Kalyway 10.5.2 and IATKO 10.5.5. ....

However, for the kalyway installation i got the same screen that Weavie gets...and cant proceed.. For the IATKO, I am no longer stuck there, but before it enteres the installation screen(white with apple in middle) it reboots.....

I saw u guys using different kernel such as sleepkernel, voodoo kernel.. How do I use that to boot? I am complete noob on this.. So..... Can anyone give a more detailed walkthrough of how to install Mac OS on core i7. Like what to key in at each stage and stuff...

Thank you very much.

Hi,

1#Get a Retail leopard DVD "not Kalyway, Iatkos, Uphuck, XXX etc"

2#Get a usb-stick "atleast 8gig"

3#Diskutility make DMG image of RETAIL DVD "select the whole Diskdrive as Source, not the Volume on the DVD"

4#Diskutility Restore Retail leopard DMG to USB stick

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330 #see first post, use v6.1

5#Prepare a prepatched usb stick with Kexts, plists, Kernel and maybe DSDT.aml "instead of your harddisk we use USB stick"

6#You need atleast dsmos.kext and IntelCPUdisabler.kext to run,

7# place a lot of kernels in the root of the USB EFI partition to experiment with!

8# try DSDT patch http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=38192 #download and run patcher

Boot from USB, type the 'kernelname' and the 'verbose mode -v' option and try to boot the install DVD from usb stick

you could use this to make the custom usb boot stick, or at least i believe so. you then restore the iso it creates to a usb stick, but NOT to the same one as the leopard install.

alternatively stickpin outlined a method, which i used for my laptop, to create a boot123 usb stick, but im not sure how you would add a kernel to that. munky made a thread about it, it involves pointing to the custom kernel but telling boot123 the uuid of the disc you would like to use the kernel on......

@ grassroot

it is the same for every platform,

check the components of your mainboard, (sound, ide-sata controller, grafic chip, network), then you check the bios (set everything right, ahci not ide, advanced processor settings, southbridge, USB)

you will find some tutorials on that, if the DVD boots you can modify the installation according your mainboard components.

To switch kernels you might need a running system....

I followed some bios tutorial and I no longer get that kernel panic thing. However, Now I start to get waiting for root device after the msg saying something like "failed interrupt MSI" something.. One time, when i enabled firewire on my board i get waiting for root device after getting message saying something failed for the firewire...

Then, i tried using IATKO 10.5.5 disk, the restarting thing still happens when i enter the white screen with apple in middle.

In response to USB boot..I dont have a large enough USB drive... So..ya....

didn´t want to be sharp either, but as i said, it´s difficult to get the new mainboards and processors running. And if you are not experienced, it is even more difficult.

The C2D/Intel p35/p45 installation is easy, so go this way or wait for new releases....

First I used the stock cooler, no other was available, idle it was about 45 °C, I have a vid of 1,285v, raised it to 1,325 and had 75°C on full load, stock cooler was quit noisy then.

Now I have got the Noctua U12p with one fan 7V, I have 37°C idle and 65°C load, and its pretty quiet.....

I even lowered the the beast to 1.3V.....

I can hardly imagine the improvements Intel will make on further steppings, just see what happened with the E0 stepping on the C2Q 9550....

And if apple will upgrade the macpro to dual nehalem without raising the price too much, i will get me one no matter what....

The I7 at that speed rocks period.

I save 30% encoding time.....

ok I'm hoping someone here can be of help to me. I just recently finished building my new Core i7 desktop. I downloaded the Boot-132 "basic" iso image, the one for "noobs". burnt the iso and it starts fine, swap out the Boot-132 disc when it gets to the "Press Enter to start up Darwin/x06". I start inputting numbers (80,81,82) to see if my hard drives are recognized. I download the Ultimate Boot CD that I found from another thread on the forums. Formatted one of the SATA hard drives, but when I go to run the Leo Retail Disc I get "No OS Found Insert OS setup dosk, then press any key"

I honestly cant figure this one out and its pissing me off. I'd rather not have to run WinXP on this machine, but it sure as hell looks like I might have to.

if anyone could give me some recommendations I'd appreciate it!!

ok I'm hoping someone here can be of help to me. I just recently finished building my new Core i7 desktop. I downloaded the Boot-132 "basic" iso image, the one for "noobs". burnt the iso and it starts fine, swap out the Boot-132 disc when it gets to the "Press Enter to start up Darwin/x06". I start inputting numbers (80,81,82) to see if my hard drives are recognized. I download the Ultimate Boot CD that I found from another thread on the forums. Formatted one of the SATA hard drives, but when I go to run the Leo Retail Disc I get "No OS Found Insert OS setup dosk, then press any key"

I honestly cant figure this one out and its pissing me off. I'd rather not have to run WinXP on this machine, but it sure as hell looks like I might have to.

if anyone could give me some recommendations I'd appreciate it!!

what is the default option when you type in the numbers? On one of my builds it is FE and on the other it is EF. That is the value for my optical drive which is what you want to boot from. 80 + is for your hard disks. Also make sure you have a SATA DVD drive.

what is the default option when you type in the numbers? On one of my builds it is FE and on the other it is EF. That is the value for my optical drive which is what you want to boot from. 80 + is for your hard disks. Also make sure you have a SATA DVD drive.

Are you sure you are running in 'ACHI mode' for the harddisk controllers in the bios, which controller do you use? Intel Ich10, jmicron IDE / SATA? Which connectors?

Here is my current system specs:

Thermaltake Kandalf VD4000BWS Black Chassis: 1.0mm SECC Front door: Aluminum ATX / BTX Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

MSI X58 Platinum LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X3G1333C9

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

ABS Tagan ITZ Series ITZ1100 1100W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

3 old IDE Hard Drives (40GB, 120GB, 200GB)

-----------------

I run the Boot-132 disc and then replace it with the Leo Retail disc. I enter "EF" and the machine says loading Darwin/x86 and the Leo Retail disc spins up then the machine itself reboots and does nothing with the Leo Retail disc. at this point I'm not going to attempt to read the 49 pages in the Boot-132 thread, too many pages and I probably still wont find what I'm looking for... I probably have to flash the BIOS on the MSI board because I'm not seeing anything in any of the menus saying ACHI mode. again any help is greatly appreciated at this point!!

@HengenJL All brands of i7 board are new, IMHO all will offer important BIOS updates over the next few months. Download the manual from the MSI website and search for AHCI, its gotta be in there somewhere, might be dependent on changing another BIOS setting first. But those old IDE drives of yours aren't SATA let alone AHCI. If you can get OS X to do a verbose boot it should tell some more about where its hanging.

Add another success story! See my signature for the details.

Kernel: 9.2.2_kabyl; networking: Opensource RealtekR1000 driver; graphics (QE): ATI_Radeon-HD_-10.5.x_-_10.5.5_kexts.

No audio, yet. Tried using the alc889a kexts, but they are not working for me. Going to have to patch the AppleHDC myself.

Sleep and Restart works, but shutdown doesn't. Would the "PowerOff bug fix" take care of this? Seems that it shuts down all the cores, except one to implement a proper shutdown.

Installing issues:

• Video corruption during boot, so had to remove the video video drivers at the Darwin prompt in single user mode.

• BIOS didn't always boot from the drive selected; seemed a bit unpredictable.

• BIOS wouldn't recognize my Apple USB keyboard. After getting a PS/2 keyboard, I found out that USB keyboard detection was disabled in the BIOS.

My next project is to get a Retail DVD install using the boot-132 or Chameleon method.

Best of wishes

MAJ

P.S. I've noticed that just about every line in the Console is riddled with "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"

Any idea what that's about?

ok I have AHCI enabled on my mainboard. AHCI Port 1/2/3/4/5/6 are all set to "auto" yet nothing is detected. I'm going to try disabling AHCI auto detect and see what happens. Also I'm beginning to suspect that maybe somehow my old IDE HD's are causing an issue somewhere and might unplug those to see what happens.

Update: Forgot to restart my system after turning on AHCI, Port 1 detects one of the hard drives, Port detects my DVD drive, Port 3 detects my other hard drive. All of which are SATA. I have downloaded iAtkos 10.5.5 and XxX 10.5.5, used the iso in Toast 8 Titanium and the discs burn fine. XxX 10.5.5 attempts to start then just hangs on a screen with either a "-" or "/" and does nothing. iAtkos recognized one of the hard drives earlier but now gives me a "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.Slist' not found.

Update: Also this has nothing to do with the Hackintosh project and probably has no relevance but I figured I should mention this. I have an Ubuntu 8.10 live cd and I can attempt to install Ubuntu but once I get through the language option and whether or not I want to try Ubuntu or install Ubuntu the disc hangs on a white screen, I think its a hardware problem with Ubuntu 8.10. I was correct it was a HCL problem with my ATI 4870, started Ubuntu with "safe graphics mode". Attempting to install now. Ubuntu is up and running. At least I have one OS on this damn machine :D

Update: Ok I forgot to mention this earlier and don't know why I didn't. I have a PCI card installed that is an IDE controller card, this came out of my old desktop and I installed it into the new system because I knew the newer mainboards would only have 1 IDE slot. Would this card be conflicting with something when I attempt to install OSX? Should I uninstall this card then attempt to install OSX?

Also I have unplugged all my IDE hard drives at this point. Linux is being installed on one of the 1TB SATA hard drives.