The spotlight turns to notebooks

49 posts in this topic

Will be getting the High end Mac Book Pro soon,

my first laptop, and first Mac

it won't hurt my wallet though, but i just hate that Apple loves Releasing Their best of specs in phrases and different models of basically the same Things in a relatively short period.

unlike the first iphone users and many other mac customers i'd hate to look like a prize idiot in a few months

and thats to all those going for 1 without firewire...

anyway i'm just glad to finally be buying a Mac, i'll let it say hello to my OSX Hackintosh

if they had given the option for a matte display and included adapters (or just kept firewire 400 and dvi), i would have gone out and bought one first day. but instead they just lost a customer... and i know im not the only one who feels like this.

http://www.photodon.com/lcdprotect-sheet.htm#charttop

They have pre-cut glare reduction that completely gets rid of the glare.

2nd, they have a DVI cable attachment for the Macbook Pro or a VGA for that matter

3rd they have 400-800 converters. Jobs said this.

whoever buys a new laptop will look like and idiot when apple refreshes the line in early 2009 :P

:D I'm pretty sure of that. Cause no matter how good and nice these brand new laptops are, something's VERY wrong about them. "Buy the most beautiful and simple laptop on the planet and some hundred extra cables next week!" Is this Job's new concept about wireless? :) I've never understood why Apple sales cables and expensive accessories instead of just great hardware... I mean I know why... My life is full of accessories already and I got 61 different kinds of cables at home! (count them one day) Is somehow the new line of laptops too cheep or too easy to carry? How many companies selling computer cables at $99.00 do you know? What about the older cables? What about the environment poem? And how about the 17" users? Santa is gonna miss them all this year :D I love and I hate in the same time my Gillette razor. Buying a new blade reserve is like buying a new razor. And that's why I think I'll wear a beard in the future :| saving my money and the planet... I hate this "better and more affordable" abracadabra and the "environmental commitment" stuff.

Mr. Jobs, that was a smart move! But far from perfect! People want to use the laptops, not to expose them!

The old MacBook had a firewire port but the new one does not.

Yes this definitely sucks, but I think Apple is marketing the new Macbooks as a gateway to get you to buy the Macbook Pro instead.

The top Macbook is already 1600.00, and once you're willing to pay that, then the Macbook Pro (for 400.00 more) and offers a bigger screen, a FireWire 800 port, sightly better graphics and a ExpressCard/34 slot, doesn't look so bad (at two grand). This strategy could easily backfire on Apple, as 1600.00 may be the limit that someone can afford, and so instead of paying more to get a Pro, they just might forget about buying a Macbook altogether. I've heard many people on the net say they've walked away from a buying a new Macbook altogether for these exact reasons.

Yes this definitely sucks, but I think Apple is marketing the new Macbooks as a gateway to get you to buy the Macbook Pro instead.

The top Macbook is already 1600.00, and once you're willing to pay that, then the Macbook Pro (for 400.00 more) and offers a bigger screen, a FireWire 800 port, sightly better graphics and a ExpressCard/34 slot, doesn't look so bad (at two grand). This strategy could easily backfire on Apple, as 1600.00 may be the limit that someone can afford, and so instead of paying more to get a Pro, they just might forget about buying a Macbook altogether. I've heard many people on the net say they've walked away from a buying a new Macbook altogether for these exact reasons.

Agreed. 13" MBP anyone?

whoever buys a new laptop will look like and idiot when apple refreshes the line in early 2009 :D

Yeah; they're trying to sell all the {censored} out now, and a redesign basically means nothing. They just upped the speed by a bit and whoop-de-do, new Mac's. :D

Ok guys i personally think that the new MB AND MBP ARE HIDEOUS!!!!!!!! WHOEVER THOUGH THAT THE COLOR SCHEME AND THE LOOK OF THE MACHINE AT THE TIME OF DESIGN WAS BEAUTIFUL NEEDS TO BE SHOT OR FIRED!!!!!, the feeling of the new laptops is weird, yes i have to admit that the chipset they choose is better, the graphics are such a huge improvement (i hate intel GMA) and also the processors are quite good, the new touch pad is also nice, but what's with the black detail around the screen?!! that's what i hate, and also they change the more classy and elegant looking keyboard of the MBP for some cheap ass plasticky feeling one, yes it does still has the backlight and everything but yuck what an ugly keyboard they put on those things, i know the other keyboard was plastic as well but it looked a HELL OF A LOT BETTER then the one that the new MBP has, and as right now there is no difference whatsoever between the MBP and the MB in terms of looks and features with exception of the graphics and processor speed, so really if u are gonna get a MB u might as well consider the option of getting a MBP to get better ENHANCEMENTS to the unit u are getting, also the ports got reduced in both units, they whent for a proprietary video port so if u need to use u mac in let's say a conference presentation u have to get an adapter that apple sells u for 100 bucks so u can use ur unit, idk what u guys think but isn't the whole purpose of having a laptop to use it whenever u like without the need of carrying with u a whole bunch of extra cables but the power adapter?

Apple as always have done the same thing, try to give the costumer 2 options from which more than likely the costumer is going to go by the most expensive one because they want to get as much profit as possible, and no only they sell u a mac for a lot of money but they also u have to go get extra cables so u can use ur laptop for what it was meant to be a portable unit that u can use on the go, magic term PORTABLE which means no extra things to carry around with u all the time. The new units are lighter yes but the whole feeling of the thing is just idk weird, now the "old" MB was also an overpriced plastic unit, there was nothing special to it but the bluetooth and the Apple logo in the unit out of that nothing, plastic everywhere including the shell, that's why the MBP was so beautiful in contrast with the MB, but now u cant differ between them, if u are going to sell and expensive top of the line machine u might as well make it distinctive for the rest of the other laptops that u are selling.

i personally think that the new MB AND MBP ARE HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!

Hideous? They look great! Make an appointment with your optometrist and you'll see. In fact they're probably one of the best laptops around - except for the whole Firewire snafu. Apple has made a LOT of bad decisions lately and this Firewire issue starting to scare me - Firewire is after all an Apple creation.

It would be as if Lamborghini designed and built the most incredible sports car - and then put cement tires on it ;)

Though many express their opposition to the black strip (and glossiness) around the LCD screen, I am sure it is implemented in design not without its own reason.

If you are in the AV field playing with projectors, you will note that a thick black border is a common feature for projector screens and in cinemas. Not that it will make any measurable difference to the scientific specification of the picture in display but various studies have showed that our eyes and mind will be cheated easily to feel a better visual quality in terms of the screen color and contrast. It is cheap and takes up little screen space but will have discernible perceptive effects.

Hence, in all Apple's display, you will see this design, from notebook, iMac to the new Cinema display.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now completely SticMAC!!

I just unboxed my new MacBook, WOW!!!

It's actually kinda boring, you start it up, register it with your REAL name, and thats it!

Luckily I have 250GB of space to load all the software I want, need, might need, might want, think I might need, want and some just incase I need it and didn't know I needed it!!

SticMAC

StiCMAN

sticMAC you're so crazy!

Why would you want to JUST use a computer, you need to learn about kext, darwin, terminal, kernels, device id's and all that stuff, otherwise, what would you do with your computer?use it?that's just plain boring jajaja.

Note: congratulations for your macbook :(

Dude, look at my SIG, and my post count I have and done it ALL!!

The "missus" decided I needed to declutter the desk, so I got this and my Cinema display is being delivered in 2 days!

SticMAC

sticMAC you're so crazy!

Why would you want to JUST use a computer, you need to learn about kext, darwin, terminal, kernels, device id's and all that stuff, otherwise, what would you do with your computer?use it?that's just plain boring jajaja.

Note: congratulations for your macbook :(

Just upgraded the Memory to 4GB!!

There is definitely a noticeable difference in working on the machine, best €100.00 I've spent so far!

Pm me if anybody wants to buy: 2GB (two x 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500)

SticMAC

I know how that feels. OS X 86 was a bit more fun for me.

I just bought a macbook pro too. the old revision though.

I just had to get OSX working on my desktop, so here I am again trying to iron things out.

But still, I'm so envious of you.

I wish I had a new macbook with DDR3 compatibility. and that dual graphix power saving system thingy, AND THE UNIBODY Contruction. Damn, there is a noticeable difference when comparing the build quality of the new and old macbooks.

I'm now completely SticMAC!!

I just unboxed my new MacBook, WOW!!!

It's actually kinda boring, you start it up, register it with your REAL name, and thats it!

Luckily I have 250GB of space to load all the software I want, need, might need, might want, think I might need, want and some just incase I need it and didn't know I needed it!!

SticMAC

StiCMAN