Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

Works great for me when I manually put it to sleep. But it won't sleep when I close the lid. Is this possible?

Is this with InsomniaX running and with hibernate enabled or disabled? I only get kernel panic when trying to hibernate..

If you don't run InsomniaX and set smartsleep pref to hibernate only you should get what you want?

Running 10.5.5 here, what are you using?

A couple of notes about xXx 10.5.6 -

* You need to copy your seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 and install in 10.5.6 or you will get kernel panics when you mount a dmg

* Using the video drivers from Paul's kext pack will kill the wifi workaround (KisMAC)

* I use a USB AWLL6070 Wireless N Card that works with with Edimax EW-7718Un Drivers (Got on Black Friday for $12; $40 now at Frys).

xXx 10.5.6 OSX Install On The Aspire One:

Needed Software:

1. Download xXx 10.5.6 from the 'usual places'

2. Install(s)

........a. External DVD Drive (Easier)

................i. Burn iso to DVD using imgburn at 2X and run

........b. USB Drive (Requires 8GB+ drive and another comp running OSX)

................i. Fire up OSX on another machine

................ii. Insert thumb drive (at least 8GB)

................iii. Go to disk utility

........................a. Select the thumb drive

........................b. Partition

........................c. Volume Scheme: 1 Partition

........................d. Name: whatever you want

........................e: Format: Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)

........................f. Apply

........................g. Select the new partition in the left pane, click restore

........................h. Drag the xXx 10.5.6 iso to the source

........................i. Drag the new partition to the destination

........................j. Click restore and wait (grab some pie)

................iv. Close disk Utility

................v. Open OSX86tools 1.00

........................i. Install EFI/Run FDISK

........................ii. Disk to Use: Your Thumbdrive

........................iii. EFI to install: PC_EFI v8

........................iv. Install EFI

........................v. Exit

................vi. Reboot

................vii. F12, select USB drive

................viii. Should boot OSX install disc

........c. Click arrow, In menu bar Utilities > Disc Utility

................i. Format Partition as Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)

................ii. Close, Click Next

........f. Select the newly formatted drive to install to, click next

........g. Click 'Customize' Check the following:

................ - Essential System software

................ - PC_EFI9

................ - DSDT Patch

................ - Essential Kexts

................ - Optional Kernel: Voodoo 9.5 v1.0

................ - Chipset: new ICHx

................ - Video: IntelGMA950

................ - Audio: ALC268 AA1

................ - Network: RealTekR1000.driver, AtherosWireless

................ - Power: ACPiBatteryManager

................ - Others: USB Fix, Boot Prompt

................ - Tools

........h. Click 'Done', then 'Install' :angel:

........i. Modify boot.plist for wireless/multithreading

................i. Open terminal

................ii. sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

................iii. Enter password

................iv. On the line under (key)Kernel Flags(/key) change (string)(/string) to (string)cpus=2 -f(/string)

........................ - This can also be used to set the timeout

................v. ctrl-X to close, y to save and press enter

........j. Open Kexthelper b7

................i. Input password

................ii. Drag and Drop the following:

........................a. seatbelt.kext

........................For correct video:

........................b. From Pauls Wind Driver Utility Pack:

................................ - AppleIntelGMA950.kext

................................ - AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

................................ - AppleSMBIOS.kext

................................ - ClamshellDisplay.kext

................................ - Natit.kext

................*OR* (Video Fix Kills the wifi)

........................For wifi:

........................c. IO80211Family.kext

................iii. Click Easy Install

................iv. After prompt, close kexthelper.

........k. Repair disk permissions

................i. Disk Utility

................ii. Select OSX Partition

................iii. Repair disk permissions

................iv. Wait

................v. Reboot

........l. You may get a kernel panic, no worries

........m. Reboot

........n. Getting the wireless to work:

................i. Fire up KisMAC

........................a. KisMAC > Preferences > Driver

........................b. Select 'Apple Airport or Airport Extreme card, passive mode'

........................c. Click add and close the dialog box (Not KisMAC)

................ii. System Prefs > Network > Assist Me... > Assistant... Click Next until it asks to turn the card on, click yes. Keep open.

................iii. Return to KisMAC, Start Scan (Bottom right corner)

........................a. You should see networks

........................b. Close KisMAC

........................c. Don't Save

................iv. Return to the assistant

................v. Rescan and you should be able to find and connect to your AP

........o. Each reboot you will have to open KisMAC and scan to get wireless working

........p. Install SmartSleep (Must be for All users)

................i. Unlock and set to Hibernate only

........q. Go to applications

................i. Open SlimBatteryMonitor

................ii. Install at startup

................iii. Use it to keep track of remaining battery time.

Congrats, you should now have an Aspire running OSX 10.5.6.

Optional:

To use windows bootloader in XP:

Open Finder > Go > Go to the Folder...

Go to /usr/standalone/i386

Copy Chain 0 to the root of your XP drive

Open terminal

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

fdisk 1>p (prints partitions)

fdisk 1>flag 2 (this should be your ntfs partition)

fdisk 1>update

fdisk 1>write

fdisk 1>quit

reboot.

XP Should boot at this point

Control panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery...

Add 'C:\chain0="OS X"' at the end

Reboot and OSX should pop up

For Vista

Flag partition is active using fdisk like above, install EasyBCD, click the button to add OSX

Set timeout in osx to 1 in com.apple.Boot.plist to avoid a wait prompt when booting to OSX

To reverse ctrl and alt keys (windows style):

System Prefs > Keyboard and Mouse > Modifier Keys

Change ctrl and command to each other's keys

EDIT: i finally got to install kalyway on my AAO through Leopard HD Install Helper but now got another problem, after i installed 10.5.3 i shut down my computer so i continue the installation later but when i turn it on it wont let me boot up into OSX anymore and it gives me a message saying: "no HFS partition found" i dunno what to do ;)

You may have already seen it, but take a look at this tutorial something may click.. scroll down for in depth help on the HFS+ error (especially the partition ID mapping) :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...9253&hl=hfs

In the meantime, I'm trying to work out a way to easily install from a usb stick created entirely in Windows..

Thanks for the comments above. Was working on a best practices sheet for the install, and figured I'd polish and post it. Good to hear it helped you guys out. :(

Been working on the issues between the Video Kexts and the Wifi... Installing video before/after wifi still wont allow correct operation...

The wifi issues appear to be issues with the HAL, and I'm trying to contact the KisMAC people to see if it's a generic atheros driver or the way that it initializes the card that gets it recognized in OSX. Also, if anyone has the sources to the kexts, I'd love to look through.

Also, I know that with the pack the clamshell is not needed, but the nakit is (sp?; the driver that allows secondary monitor support).

I don't know if this was talked about earlier in the thread, but one thing that I had an issue with on the original guide was all the hassle of partitioning the drive. I found this Partition Magic like app that was free for home use, called EASEUS Partition Manager 3.0 Home Edition ( http://www.partition-tool.com/ ) which worked great. I actually bought my AAO a few days ago specifically for doing this with it, and I split my big XP partition evenly into one for XP and one for OSX, then added the C:\chain0 line to boot.ini to make it all go.

Other than that change, the original guide worked perfectly and I'm one happy camper. I'm currently using my MacMidget for iPhone coding. The portability and less hassle-ness of the AAO over my Mac Mini made it all worth it. Big thanks to all the people who worked to make the guide so nearly painless.

Anyway, just wanted to mention the partitioning program, hope it helps some people.

Thanks!

................iv. On the line under (key)Kernel Flags(/key) change (string)(/string) to (string)cpus=2 -f(/string)

What does "-f"?

..............For correct video:

........................b. From Pauls Wind Driver Utility Pack:

................................ - AppleIntelGMA950.kext

................................ - AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

................................ - AppleSMBIOS.kext

................................ - ClamshellDisplay.kext

................................ - Natit.kext

................*OR* (Video Fix Kills the wifi)

........................For wifi:

........................c. IO80211Family.kext

Does it also kill wifi when you use a Dell 1390 card?

4.- It will reboot by itself while booting, it is normal, dont panic!!

No panic, but it doesn't seem to stop booting... :)

Thanks!

What does "-f"?

Does it also kill wifi when you use a Dell 1390 card?

No panic, but it doesn't seem to stop booting... :D

the "-f" boot flag is only needed when you're using the generic Atheros AR5007, it forces the card to start up at boot. if you have already switched the WiFi for the dell you don't need that at all since the OS should recognize it without installing anything else.

Guldan:

the graphics card on the AAO has a max resolution of 1024 x 600, I don't think there is any possible way to change that to a higher res. It might be possible to cheat the system somehow to show more display options but the card would simply fail. it's got to do with the GPU in the card more than with the OS itself and also the screen affects the results.

(mostly the screen)

you can hook up an external display (Monitor or TV with VGA port) and you can change the res on that to the max the external display can go. checked it with my HDTV and got the TV's highest res (1360 x768)

Cheers and Happy new year everyone!

Ed

EDIT: Just seen the 10.5.6 guide so will try some things from that... ignore the bits in grey!

This forum is excellent - I got my Aspire one from Amazon yesterday morning and by the afternoon I had Mac OS X running on it. I was really surprised at the speed! I also managed to import my documents and applications from my MacBook Pro using the OS X installer.

I used the XxX 10.5.6 DVD and followed the instructions in this post. There are a few outstanding issues which I couldn't find solutions for and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

The first issue is that there is no System Preferences option for the trackpad. The trackpad is far too sensitive to use, so is there a way to get this working? Or a file I can edit to decrease the sensitivity?

The second issue, probably because I am using the 10.5.6 rather than 10.5.5 version, is the wifi. I haven't changed the wifi card inside the computer - didn't really want to open it up on day 1! Whilst I can get the airport menu to display the grey bars, when I run Kismac (all set-up as described) I either find no networks or get a kernel panic and have to restart the computer. Has anyone got further than this with regard to the wifi on 10.5.6?

Other issues, which I think have been discussed before, are a static noise when using headphones... and I have yet to try any sleep/hibernation features because I understand this is likely to fail.

The above aside, I am really pleased. I've got a dual-boot going on with Windows XP which has MacDrive installed so I can access my iTunes music and documents from the Mac partition. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this.

I haven't had much time to work on this but hibernate has failed a couple more times so it should certainly be used with caution. What happens is the video stutters slightly just after the 'Wake Kernel!' message and the letter 'K' disappears from the word Kernel - weird, huh. The machine will fail to boot then. Booting off a USB drive and removing the sleepimage file from /private/var/vm/ will allow it to startup fine. What appears to precede this failed sleepimage is that upon a successful wake from hibernation, menu items (airport, volume icons etc.) will have vanished...hibernating after that has caused a failure each time...restarting after the menu items vanish does not cause a problem.

Can't comment yet on what role InsomniaX is playing in this as I've yet to test this using a clean install of 10.5.5...I believe InsomniaX is installing a modified ktext file somewhere which remains active even if the application/menu item is not running...but I'm just guessing. My machine doesn't sleep when the lid is closed either regardless of whether InsomniaX is running or not so I'm assuming it's still active somehow.

brgroup... Thank you graciously for all you help. I finally got the xXx distro w/patches ppf 1,2,3 and BAM! it worked perfectly. Great tutorial. "Take that Machine! You can't mess with the master!" We showed that un co-operating AAO who's boss!

Guys, if i use the xxx 10.5.6 and follow the xXx 10.5.6 OSX Install On The Aspire One guide, do I still need to flash the bios as the beginning of the thread instructed?

there's no need to flash the BIOS with the same version every time you're reinstalling any type of OS, it is only needed if there is a BIOS update. so the answer is no, you don't have to flash it if you've done that already

cheers

The first issue is that there is no System Preferences option for the trackpad. The trackpad is far too sensitive to use, so is there a way to get this working? Or a file I can edit to decrease the sensitivity?

In /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ replace Keyboard.prefPane with the one from 10.5.5.

My backup can be found at: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a2225wexetw

How many folks have tried the Boot 1-2-3 method?

I did a vanilla install using Boot 1-2-3 (used the modified kexts generic iso) and eveything went smoothly- despite the 800x600 resolution. Went to software update, updated to 10.5.6. Restarted. No problems.

I started adding the kexts for the AAO into my EFI partition. Some seem to stick, others not so much (I can not get audio to work out the EFI partition).

Obviosly, sleep does not work for me. Haven't tried the card readers.

Switched over to the voodoo kernel, using the com.apple.Boot.plist file on my EFI partition to control boot behaviors. Works well for me.

On my desktop machine I've used the same EFI install. I think it is ultimately a better approach to the world of hackintosh- don't mess with the kextas -oh wait- don't mess with the kexts.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if other people have done this and if anybody wants to work with me to put together a generic.iso with a set of kexts for the AAO.

Guys, if i use the xxx 10.5.6 and follow the xXx 10.5.6 OSX Install On The Aspire One guide, do I still need to flash the bios as the beginning of the thread instructed?

I also had this question and i believe that Jay is asking if the AAO has never been modded, and the bios have never been touched do they still need to be flashed. Judging from aztec_Knights answer i assume that they still have to be flashed the first time, is this correct? Can we get some clearification on that please?

Thnx guys

I also had this question and i believe that Jay is asking if the AAO has never been modded, and the bios have never been touched do they still need to be flashed. Judging from aztec_Knights answer i assume that they still have to be flashed the first time, is this correct? Can we get some clearification on that please?

Thnx guys

OK, if your AAO still has the original BIOS I would recomend updating it to the latest version. I believe a couple of pages back there is a link for version 3309. so the answer is yes, YOU DO NEED TO UPDATE THE BIOS TO THE LATEST POSSIBLE :D BUT DO NOT FLASH THE SAME VERSION TWICE (it won't hurt the computer at all but time is money, and doing this will just waste time)

hope this is what you're looking for. :thumbsup_anim:

cheers,

Ed

Thnx guys

As already stated, you do need the most up to date Bios as released by Acer. In the US and on their site the latest version is 3304, in Europe its 3305. The Beta Releases are 3307, 3308, and 3309. I am using 3309 as it was said to fix some problems with battery charging. What you have to do when installing OS X on your Acer Aspire one is to make sure you do not have less than Bios version 3304. There are problems, what exactly I do not know, but at the very least you need this version to install properly. And when updating to what Acer has not officially updated to on their site, be careful. As it could brick your machine. When a new BIOS version is released I wait a day or two to see what people say about it before updating. Hope this clarifies everything for you, and you only need to update once not repeatedly to the same version.

~Stephen