Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

wow, what's this about the sound? Normaly I close insomniaX before shuting down the system, else I get a kernel panic. Does what you say on your post mean you don't really need to? Would be great if you could explain this a bit more in-depth.

Thanks!

I have InsomniaX running from startup to shutdown and as long as you have enabled sounds, you shouldn't be getting that shutdown kernel panic anymore. Everyone's mileage may vary since we have all installed OSX in various ways from one another. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see if this solves your kernel panic problem at shutdown.

i'm looking to get a new Acer Aspire One, the Radio shack deal 100 bucks and att 2 year contract. I was wondering if anyone knows the speces of the device and has tried to install os x on it.

I know the device has the 1.6 atom, 1 gig ram, 160 gig hd, and g3 capabilities?

If anyone has any exp with this device I'd love to know how it went.

thanks,

Ty

i'm looking to get a new Acer Aspire One, the Radio shack deal 100 bucks and att 2 year contract. I was wondering if anyone knows the speces of the device and has tried to install os x on it.

I know the device has the 1.6 atom, 1 gig ram, 160 gig hd, and g3 capabilities?

If anyone has any exp with this device I'd love to know how it went.

thanks,

Ty

As Far as my understanding goes, the only difference between this and most AAO's out there is the addition of the 3g and sim card slots, dont know if that will run under OS X, depends on the specs for that part of the AAO.

Thanks to everyone for the great info. ;) All the tips made it easy for me to upgrade my wifi and install Leopard. Anyone going to MacWorld? Maybe there could be an Acer hack meetup?

I am proudly going to MacWorld with my Hack-Intosh, as its so labeled ;) , but I will not get there till Thursday, have to work the rest of the week....

how can i remove the mac os x from my acer aspire one? :)

This is rather easy, erase the drive...

~Stephen

turns out it isn't that easy i tried that and it is still here unless i didn't do something right

Boot from the Kalyway Disk or other distro...

When it comes up choose disk utility...

From there click the highest most portion of the disk, typically shows the Disk Vendor in the title...

Click on Partition, than on options...

Choose an MBR partition so you can load winblows...

Than click apply, this will take off OS X....

~Stephen

On my previous installs, a restart loop meant too many kexts are trying to load at the same time..When I loaded up and added two chipset drivers or VGA drivers thinking it will catch at least one of them..

Here's my configuration. People have reported using xXx out of the box, but I was missing some things. Others may have different or better suggestions..My Specs: I am running AAO with 320GB hard drive, BIOS 3305, Dual Boot Windows 7 pre-beta, 1.5GB ram, Dell 1590 Wireless.

I just did the following install 5 minutes ago so I know it works flawlessly on my machine..

If you haven't done so, update your xXx disc with the PPF2 patch and then try choosing these for your AAO as a start (at your own risk):

Check - Essential System Software

Check - PC_EFI9 (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - DSDT patch (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - Essential Kexts

Check - Kernel = Voodoo 9.5 v1.0 (you can choose whichever you'd like or no choice for default)

Check - Chipset = ICHx

Check - Video = GMA950 0x27 AAO version

Check - Network = Realtek1000 (you'll probably need an ethernet connection to get through the setup routine)

Check - Audio = ALC268 AAO version

Check - Power = ACPIBatteryManager Chun Nan version

Check - Others = Boot Prompt (for some reason Darwin boot options weren't showing up without this)

Check - Tools

After setup,

1) Change Sleep settings to Never

2) If you used Voodoo kernel you can edit com.apple.boot.plist to add "cpus=2" for Hyperthreading, tho' I haven't been able to get this to show in profiler on my machine.

3) Add a longer Darwin timeout in com.apple.boot.plist - I changed mine to 30 sec so I have plenty of time

3) Change trackpad settings to tap/click if you want

CAVEATS:

Sleep doesn't work

There may be a Atheros 5007ag fix if you don't want to buy a new wireless card (search InsanelyMac or AspireOneUser.com)

I heard there are now patched drivers for SD card only, haven't tested..AspireOneUser.com or osxsdhci.sourceforge.net

Oh yeah, always boot with -v until your machine is dialed in so you can see what's happening!

Check here often for more fixes and tuneups..there are many Geniuses working hard to help!!

OK for anyone that is interested I got the Atheros WiFi card to work following the post above but doing some small modifications which I'm about to post.

brgroup: hope you don't mind me copy pasting and thanks for the installation guide it really helped.

Now, before I proceed i have to let you know that I have not installed update 10.5.6 basically for the reason that everything is working quite well right now and I don't feel the need to upgrade quite yet.

Now this is how I did it.

If you haven't done so, update your xXx disc with the PPF3 patch and then try choosing these for your AAO as a start (at your own risk):

Check - Essential System Software

Check - PC_EFI9 (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - DSDT patch (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - Essential Kexts

Check - Kernel = Voodoo 9.5 v1.0 (you can choose whichever you'd like or no choice for default)

Check - Chipset = ICHx

Check - Video = GMA950 0x27 AAO version

Check - Network = Realtek1000 (you'll probably need an ethernet connection to get through the setup routine)

Check - Atheros Driver Support (not sure if it helps to get the WiFi done but install it just in case

Check - Audio = ALC268 AAO version

Check - Power = ACPIBatteryManager Chun Nan version

Check - Others = Boot Prompt (for some reason Darwin boot options weren't showing up without this)

Check - USB fix

Check - Tools

After setup,

1) Change Sleep settings to Never

2) If you used Voodoo kernel you can edit com.apple.boot.plist to add "cpus=2 -f" for Hyperthreading (the -f is to get the wifi to be recognized), tho' I haven't been able to get this to show in profiler on my machine.

3) Add a longer Darwin timeout in com.apple.boot.plist - I changed mine to 30 sec so I have plenty of time

3) Change trackpad settings to tap/click if you want

CAVEATS:

Sleep doesn't work

Oh yeah, always boot with -v until your machine is dialed in so you can see what's happening!

So basically this is what I chose for the installation of XXX

(for patching I used "PPFOMATIC", can find it googling it)

now the wireless is quite easy

First install all third party SW you might wish to have on your machine

then download the IO80211Family.kext from :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=135572

and install it using Kexthelper

Repair disk permissions and restart

MOST LIKELY YOU'LL GET A PANIC! SCREEN AT FIRST (no worries)

do a HARD REBOOT and turn the machine back on.

Once you are in OSX if you look at the Airport icon at the top it will say "Airport Not Configured" or something along those lines. DON'T TURN IT ON YET!!

Open Kismac (which i'd assume that you have already copied into the utilities folder) go to Preferences and add the Apple Airport Extreme card, passive mode and exit preferences. but don't exit kismac

Now it's time to open Network Preferences and follow the Assistant (I created a network called WiFi) do the typical "Next", "Next", "Next" until you get a message that says that the Airport card needs to be Turned on (TURN IT ON) then keep that screen open

Go back to Kismac. click Start Scan, Enter password and Voila! you'll see routers lining up in the list.

We're not done yet! hehe

close Kismac and Don't Save scan results

BACK on Network Preferences Assistant click RESCAN

and now VOILA!! all your networks are recognized, so find your network, type your pass and connect

and DONE!!!

After that everytime you turn on the machine just open Kismac (no need to reassign driver) run a scan. once you see the net works exit (without saving) and then click on your handy Airport Icon on top of the screen select your network and now you can connect any time you like

HOPE THIS HELPS!

PS

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AT ALL ENABLE QUARTZ GL OR YOUR WIFI WILL STOP WORKING AND DISABLING IT BACK WON'T DO A THING (QUITE IRONICALLY NOT EVEN RESTORING KEXT'S WILL DO) AND THE ONLY WAY I FOUND TO RE ENABLE WiFi WAS TO RE-IMAGE MY SYSTEM.

xXx 10.5.5 Be sure to apply the patches in order.

Load the base xXx ISO and apply PPF1 then from that ISO apply PPF2 and then PPF3.

Try some of these here:

http://www.megagames.com/psx/psx_ppf.shtml

or try this one:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13905

Green Demon has xXx 10.5.5 iso with PPF1 already patched.

I believe BlackCH owns an AAO so there are kexts specifically included for our model.

- ALC268 Sound works, internal mic works (with static), haven't tested plug-in mic, though reports are good that it works..If not SticMacs kext-pac still works great.

- Don't know about external display although I've seen some posts floating around here to get that issue fixed as well.

If you are already dual-booting with XP and Darwin is giving your OS boot choices, you shouldn't have an issue if you reinstall xXx to the same partition as your old OSX. There are many tutorials here and on the AAO user forum to install OSX with XP... I would create a USB Time Machine though so you can restore your settings, files etc after you install xXx..

On a side note, troubles happen when Vista and OSX come into contact with each other. Look for Mac partition flagging in this forum to help fix Vista/Leopard issues. chain0 with BCDEdit works well with Windows Vista and Windows 7..

Good luck!

First of all, I really feel the need to thank everyone here for the EXCELLENT info provided.

I installed Leopard on my AAO from xXx distribution with full success.

I have a couple of questions tho, I have read all of the pages here, but didn't notice anything (maybe my bad here) about external monitor support.

I connected my Samsung 16:9 and although the AAO can recognize it, the TV (Samsung) doesn't display anything.

When I tried to enable mirror image my AAO screen lost as well.

Only way to have my image back is to disconnect it.

Is there any fix for this? Some key combination I missed and it only enables image on the external monitor?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks a lot in advance :D

Keep up the FANTASTIC job!!!

First of all, I really feel the need to thank everyone here for the EXCELLENT info provided.

I installed Leopard on my AAO from xXx distribution with full success.

I have a couple of questions tho, I have read all of the pages here, but didn't notice anything (maybe my bad here) about external monitor support.

I connected my Samsung 16:9 and although the AAO can recognize it, the TV (Samsung) doesn't display anything.

When I tried to enable mirror image my AAO screen lost as well.

Only way to have my image back is to disconnect it.

Is there any fix for this? Some key combination I missed and it only enables image on the external monitor?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Keep up the FANTASTIC job!!!

I had the same problem with my HD TV I stupidly enabled mirror display and lost both screens hehe, here's how I fixed it:

1. enable the "Show Displays in Menu Bar" option under display preferences.

2. once the displays Icon shows on menu bar, click on it and select "Number of Recent Items", set that to 5

3. Connect your external monitor (or TV) and of course you'll get those annoying vertical lines

4. disconnect it and screen goes back to normal except that now on your displays icon you can see the last external device that was connected and the mirror option

5. place the mouse pointer over "Turn Off Mirror" but don't click it yet!!

6. connect the TV again and make sure the mouse doesn't move at all!!

7.once you have the vertical lines showing juct click! (I'd recommend to use the click button since tapping might move the pointer and you'd have to repeat step 5 and to last) and voila! you got the one screen showing (the internal LCD)

then just change the resolution on the external display until you get image.

you might also want to screw around with the TV resolution to get the best image

hope this works for you.

Cheers

Ed

BTW! from what I know Mirror display doesn't work on some TV's if not at all

What's everyone's battery life like? I did a little test of my own and here's what I came up with. I set mac mail to check for mail every minute to try and simulate web browsing and set my display to the darkest setting. As a result the AA1 stayed on for 2 hrs and 7 mins. And to fully recharge the battery it took an 1 hr and 37 mins. What are your guys battery times?

JJ

Hi,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for your great tutorial. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible for me to make my aa1 work with mac os x.

On my aa1, everything but the card-reader works now, incl. the built-in 3G card and the wlan, which I changed to a dell 1390 wlan card.

novus

with a AA1 150 with 1GB RAM, 160 GB Disc, 3G, Dell 1390 WLAN, Kalyway 10.5.2 with update to 10.5.5

What's everyone's battery life like? I did a little test of my own and here's what I came up with. I set mac mail to check for mail every minute to try and simulate web browsing and set my display to the darkest setting. As a result the AA1 stayed on for 2 hrs and 7 mins. And to fully recharge the battery it took an 1 hr and 37 mins. What are your guys battery times?

JJ

On the stock 3 Cell I have I see about 2 - 2.5 hours. But I also have a 9 Cell battery that I get roughly 6 - 7.5 hours of battery life. With everything ON!

By the way guys I found this guide for installing 10.5.6. I don't think I'm going to bother since everything's working but if you guys get bored:

iAtkos v5 10.5.5 install guide including 10.5.6 update

L8trz ;)

I am going to try this, and see what happens, will be back with the info...

~Stephen

Hi,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for your great tutorial. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible for me to make my aa1 work with mac os x.

On my aa1, everything but the card-reader works now, incl. the built-in 3G card and the wlan, which I changed to a dell 1390 wlan card.

novus

with a AA1 150 with 1GB RAM, 160 GB Disc, 3G, Dell 1390 WLAN, Kalyway 10.5.2 with update to 10.5.5

How did you configure OS X for the built-in 3G card ?