Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

Ok,

I'm an idiot...

I spent two weeks reading all this and preparing to do the deed to my AAO.

Bottom line, I cannot get OSX to fire up at boot. I've tried the USB Flash method, I've tried the burned DVD with USB DVD attached...no joy. I am using the xxx 10.5.6 disk.

I've split my drive in half with partition magic and left the original XP setup on the first partition. I've tried leaving it unallocated and formated FAT32.

What occurs is that the system reboots, I hit F12, select the USB drive or USB DVD drive that has the iso burned on to it and hit enter. With the USB Drive I get a black screen with a flashing cursor on the top left. The USB drive had maybe 4 seconds of actiivity and nothing. WIth the USB DVD selected, the drive never even appears to be accessed and it goes straight to a windows XP boot.

What do I have to do here?

The ISO was from the 'green devil'. I used the USB drive instructions in post #530 on my mac mini. No Joy. For the DVD i used mac's disk utility and burned it. In OSX it looks perfect and shows up on my desktop.

What am I doing wrong?

I am such a noob....I know there has to be a simple explanation...

Ok, one more thing I notice, when I run OS86 tools (on my mac mini g4) I end up having to use 1.0149 not the 150 build as 150 wouldnt execute the EFI module. WIth 149 I get the terminal running and it appears to work fine and tells me it has put EFI V8 on my USB, BUT, I see the following errors in the Terminal text "Bad CPU type in executable". Is this because I have a G4? Is there another program I can use on my G4 to get EFI V8 on to my USB?

thanks guys

B

Hello,

I had the same problem trying to boot from my USB DVD drive, always running WinXP boot !

I just boot WinXP from my hard drive, then insert the DVD in the USB DVD drive, then click "Start", "Stop" (!!!) and "Restart" (or something like that in English located WinXP, sorry, I'm using WinXP in French !!!), and restart the computer from the USB DVD drive and then... it works !!!

It seems that just firing up the ACER AspireOne and trying to boot from an xXx DVD doesn't always work.

Regards.

Fabrice.

test avec f2 si ton dvd usb est reconnue dans le bios et si oui tu tu choisi 1 device usb dvd

ensuit si cela fontionne pas tu presse f12 au démarree et regarde si il usb dvd ou usb cd tu choisi usb dvd

si ca ne marche pas c'est parce que ton iso est mal fait

Hi, first off thanks to everyone who's put the work in on the howtos in this forum, top stuff!

I picked up an Aspire One with 160GB HDD at the weekend and put the XxX 10.5.5 install on it today after reading through this thread from start to finish and I'm really impressed. I popped an additional 1GB in it toady and should have a Dell 1390 arriving in the post tomorrow and I'll be a proper happy bunny then :)

Anyways, questions (ain't that always the case?):

- is it possible to change the type of Mac the OS thinks it is running on? I don't just mean using something like osx86tools to change the strings displayed; looking in 'About This Mac' it reports the machine as a Mac Pro and some software uses this to figure out the hardware it's running on. Specifically, I'm a fan of the iStat Nano desktop widget and when I try to view battery levels with it tells me I'm not running on a laptop and refuses to investigate any further. I'm sure it would play nicely with the ACPIBattery kext if it thought it was running on a Macbook or iBook.

- I installed the Darwin Boot Prompt kext at install time, now the machine's up and running nicely how do I get to automatically boot after, say, 5 seconds rather than sitting waiting for me to hit a key?

There's Ukelele for custom keyboard layout editing.

Cheers Jimmy...been looking at Ukelele this afternoon but the keyboard on the AA1 is so far removed from anything on a real Mac that a few keys don't even trigger keycodes. The main problem is the key to the right of the left hand shift key with backslash on it. I've looked into creating a custom keyboard layout but it looks like a ton of work. I'll report back if I get anywhere with it.

In other news, got my Dell 1390 in it this afternoon and the machine is quite happily connecting to our 802.1x authenticated network and I've installed SmartSleep and hibernate appears to be working ok for now. From what I've read, though, it's only a matter of time before I get a corrupted hibernate file :wub:

Anyone got any bright ideas re. my machine ID and boot problems?

Well, now I´m using here on my one (whose keyboard has a portuguese layout) a custom layout developed for the wind. Everything is well, except these key, and I find the same trouble with ukelele... Nothing in it matches with the Acer One keyboard...

Hey! I have this problem of model too! System Profiler identify it as a MacPro!

One question: I put the sound and internal mic to work, but have no control about the mic gain... Is there any way to increase mic gain?

hello everyone does anyone have figured out how to use mirroring?? i tried yesterday but i only got a lot of stripes in both screen (the aao display and the external one)... i really want to use mirroring, and the link placed in the first post is useless because it gets me to the index forum not to an specific post... :glare:

does anyone from latinoamerica have buy an dell 1390 card from ebay? recomend me an seller please!!!

i really want to use mirroring, and the link placed in the first post is useless because it gets me to the index forum not to an specific post...

The link is

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...d&start=500

I had to look through all of Kamikaze's posts to find it but it was worth it, mirroring works now.

To install download the GMA950.pkg.zip file (at the end of Kamikaze's post) unzip it, double click on the GMA950.pkg and it gives you an installation screen, follow the instructions, restart. You might want to check permissions afterwards.

In case the link cuts out in the middle the missing part is showtopic=113018&pid=913715

The link is

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...d&start=500

I had to look through all of Kamikaze's posts to find it but it was worth it, mirroring works now.

To install download the GMA950.pkg.zip file (at the end of Kamikaze's post) unzip it, double click on the GMA950.pkg and it gives you an installation screen, follow the instructions, restart. You might want to check permissions afterwards.

In case the link cuts out in the middle the missing part is showtopic=113018&pid=913715

Looking around in insanelymac forums i found that package i´ve already solved it i installed this pack from one of that pages you posted... i figured out the ms wind and the AAO have the same grafic card (i guess) thanks anyway...

two more questions?

1.- does you cam works in Leopard?

2.-does anyone have the latinamerican keyboard layout or the spanish one? i really been looking for it... but haven´t found it...

PD the file is the one i used for mirroring...

GMA950.pkg.zip

- I installed the Darwin Boot Prompt kext at install time, now the machine's up and running nicely how do I get to automatically boot after, say, 5 seconds rather than sitting waiting for me to hit a key?

Open terminal

Enter the following commands:

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

add the timeout part make it look like this

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</>string

hit Ctrl+O to write and Ctrl+X to quit.

Looking around in insanelymac forums i found that package i´ve already solved it i installed this pack from one of that pages you posted... i figured out the ms wind and the AAO have the same grafic card (i guess) thanks anyway...

two more questions?

1.- does you cam works in Leopard?

2.-does anyone have the latinamerican keyboard layout or the spanish one? i really been looking for it... but haven´t found it...

PD the file is the one i used for mirroring...

There´s a keyboard layout for the Wind, that can work with the AAO latin keyboard, except the backslash key located right the left shift key. It needs some refines, but I´m using it successfully on my AAO!

tecladoabnt2wind.zip

HI here running xxx 10.5.5 on my AAO, Voodoo 9.5

I use voodoo because is faster then vanilla

Using AC Power everithing is working ok (audio ok whith no intermal mic volume control but mic working tested in Skype)

My big issue is that i have many kernel panic on audio call working on battery.

The solution is to remove the battery ktext (ihave tested different version of "battery" ktext).

The problem is that in this way i d'ont have battery meter and is a big issue on a netbook

I think the problem is how is setting powermanagement (I try to change parameter on PowerManagement.bundle/com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist tryng to assign the same parameter of AC Powre to Battery Power, but no luck)

Some of you have the same problem?

Any solution?

Thanks (Sorry for my bad english)

Has anyone had any success hooking the AA1 up to a tv yet using a vga to composite/svideo adapter? Can't seem to get a 480i output that the tv likes :( And just as a heads up for those of you who use kismac, forget about it. It's so old and outdated, and the only people that know anything about it on the forum really don't offer much support. I'd suggest getting familiar with backtrack 3 final which can be run from a flash drive or you can download a vmware image that someone made. It can crack faster, and it overall just seems to work better. Plus there are tons of places to learn about the different attacks and commands you can run. I could never really get injection to work on kismac but on backtrack it was never a problem ;)

Hi all!

I´ve read about the VoodooPower extension, with some battery life gain over the stock power management extension.

Is there anyone using it on AAO here?

I am. Don't think it really does anything. But it doesn't break anything either.

well sadly i am returning my second aspire one.

I had leopard installed on it perfectly but the hardware has failed again, it just dies after 1minute as if all power has been lost.

has anyone else had this problem?

apparently this is a common problem according to amazon.

Luckily i will get a full refund.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new laptop that would run os x very well.

thanks

Benjamin

Hi all,

Yesterday after a kernel panic, every time I boot my one (XxX 10.5.6) I have an error with this message:

Error parsing plist filestarting hibernate

and a 5 seconds delay in boot. When the gray apple apears a prohibited symbol is showed on top of it, and my boot process takes a while.

Anyone knows how to solve this?

Thank you all!

I've got my AAO running 10.5.6 nicely with Voodoo kernel, dual booting with WinXP - I used the iATKOS instructions over at aspireoneuser.com forums, and with an Apple Airport card installed in place of the stock unit.

Anyhow, has anyone taken a look at the acerfand shell script and acer_ec.pl perl script for controlling the fans in Linux, with an eye to porting them to OS X?

Links are here: http://n00.be/archives/758/

My scripting skills are rudimentary, but i looked over the two scripts and one problem I see is that acer_ec.pl tries to access the directory /dev/port, which apparently exists on Linux but not OS X...

It seems that if this script works on Linux, it should be not-too-hard to modify it for OS X, or am I missing something?

I would love to have some peace and quiet :(

sir my name is rajesh i am so much interested in mac that i can't describe in words so i want to install mac .i already installed leoforallmac leapord os ,installation is completely finished but there is a booting problem after i tried by againformatting and reinstalling and booting

for after 25 times it came .i worked and then i shutdown after i am not able to boot in mac so i again formatted and again i am working in ubuntu and vista .also i tried tohleo mac os x that is not working also i tried ideneb 10.5.5 only apple first screen is coming and then stopping not working but only leoforall is working it is installing successfully but there is a problem with bootloader so kindly please anyone help me . i am having so much passion with mac that i can't describe in words . my hardware details are

i am having 500gb sata hdd, 2gb ddr1 ram and my motherboard is 

pi865d7 .

i only worked with mac for 2 or 3 hours aftyer i shutdown in mac 

cpu is halted like that came when i again tried i can't able to boot in mac so kindly help me 

also tell me which chipset should i install

i tried all of them in leoforall but sometimes only something is working

old nforce chipsetdrivers

nforcetest

intel ich/x

saschipsetdriver

my emailid is doubts2apec@gmail.com