In short

Requirements

8Gb USB drive or larger

Installation DVD image

Intel Mac

Chameleon Installer (google it)

• Plug in your USB drive
  • Open Disk Utility
  • Partition your USB drive, 1 partition --> Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Under advanced choose Master Boot Record
  • Open image in Disk Utility
  • Restore Image to USB Drive
  • Unmount, unplug, plug in you USB drive
  • Run Chameleon
  • Choose Change Install Location
  • Install it on your USB drive
  • Now your USB drive is ready
  • Boot your AAO from the USB drive and install OS X

The only problem is that I don't have an Intel Mac. Any other ways to install OS X on my AAO without a DVD ROM Drive?

Hello all, has anyone tried install XxX distro with vanilla Kernel?

I tried that yesterday ad my system keeps restarting after tha first initial Darwin booting screen, doesn't go to the gray screen with tha apple in other words.

Just keeps restarting and restarting...

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Have you tried starting the OS in verbose or safe mode (-v or -x)? you might be able to see if there is a panic! somewhere.....

Hi, i am new here and i just bought my acer one 150. I have been reading this forum before i got acer in my hands.. ofc i have now tryed install Mac os X on it.. and all i can say it went pretty well. I used XXX 10.5.5 image and patched it with PPF1+2+3 and followed install instructions from here.

Now everything else is working pretty nicely for my use.. the only problem is wireless network. I tryed instructions from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351 could the problem be that i didnt use vanilla kernel? i am still using voodoo kernel. and could someone say what third part SW i need for make wireless working?

thx.

Hi, i am new here and i just bought my acer one 150. I have been reading this forum before i got acer in my hands.. ofc i have now tryed install Mac os X on it.. and all i can say it went pretty well. I used XXX 10.5.5 image and patched it with PPF1+2+3 and followed install instructions from here.

Now everything else is working pretty nicely for my use.. the only problem is wireless network. I tryed instructions from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351 could the problem be that i didnt use vanilla kernel? i am still using voodoo kernel. and could someone say what third part SW i need for make wireless working?

thx.

you might wanna try the guide I posted a couple of pages back in this blog.

Ed.

PS

don't forget to add the "-f" (without quotes) flag in your com.apple.Boot.plist

Basically, I installed launch2net software to recognize the 3g modem.

Then I went to System Preferences -> Network -> Modem and entered the same values I used for my HUAWEI E220 (Vendor: Generic, Model: GPRS (GSM/*G)

After testing the connection, I uninstalled launch2net.

How did you configure OS X for the built-in 3G card ?

Basically, I installed launch2net software to recognize the 3g modem.

Then I went to System Preferences -> Network -> Modem and entered the same values I used for my HUAWEI E220 (Vendor: Generic, Model: GPRS (GSM/*G)

After testing the connection, I uninstalled launch2net.

Is that a USB 3G device or did you modify the 3G slot and install it into the netbook?

It's booting to XP because your active partition is the XP Partition. You need to use diskpart at windows command prompt and set the partition with the OS X installed to active so it will boot the Mac OS. Once you do this it will load to the Darwin boot which you can select to boot to OS X or XP when you press any key during the 5 sec. countdown.

I tried that and it still boots to XP. Here's what I did. Maybe I did it wrong?:

1. At the command prompt typed "diskpart"

2. Verified that there was only one disk by typing "list disk" -- saw that only Disk 0 exists

3. Selected Disk 0 -- "select disk=0"

4. Listed the partitions on the disk. This is what I see:

Partition ### Type Size Offset

---------------------------------------------------------

Partition 1 OEM 4997 MB 32 KB (this holds the system restore partition)

Partition 2 Primary 84 GB 4997 MB (this holds XP)

Partition 3 Unknown 60 GB 89 GB (this holds the OSX install)

5. I select Partition 3 -- "select partition=3"

6. I make it active -- just type "active"

7. I get a message saying, "Partition 3 is now the selected partition."

8. Exit and reboot.

Still no Darwin bootloader...

Thanks,

Greg

Greg1205, Are you by any chance using xXx 10.5.5? For some reason when I was first installing that disk, it was skipping the darwin boot options prompt entirely. I had to hit F8 on the empty screen after Bios and before OS bootup.

You may have also already tried this, but the chain0 method mentioned above..could be the quickest way to get you up and running with dual boot and to verify your OSX install. You may have to make the XP partition active again to do it.

Look carefully for the direct download link of the chain0 file in the website provided above. Drop that in your C:\ root and create a pointer to it in your boot.ini file as indicated. Restart. If you don't like the Windows boot loader, just re-edit boot.ini and remove the osx line that you added.

HOW TO EDIT BOOT.INI

By the way guys I found this guide for installing 10.5.6. I don't think I'm going to bother since everything's working but if you guys get bored:

iAtkos v5 10.5.5 install guide including 10.5.6 update

L8trz :euro:

I accidentally updated my Kalyway 10.5.5 install to 10.5.6 thru Apple software update. Thanks for the link you provided, I manage to make everything work again :P without reinstalling Mac Os.

I am using Voodoo kernel R1 with system.kext and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 and its working fine including virtual machine Windows XP. Thanks again.

post-303895-1230060676_thumb.jpg

Greg1205, Are you by any chance using xXx 10.5.5? For some reason when I was first installing that disk, it was skipping the darwin boot options prompt entirely. I had to hit F8 on the empty screen after Bios and before OS bootup.

No. I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2_Intel_Amd.

You may have also already tried this, but the chain0 method mentioned above..could be the quickest way to get you up and running with dual boot and to verify your OSX install. You may have to make the XP partition active again to do it.

Look carefully for the direct download link of the chain0 file in the website provided above. Drop that in your C:\ root and create a pointer to it in your boot.ini file as indicated. Restart. If you don't like the Windows boot loader, just re-edit boot.ini and remove the osx line that you added.

HOW TO EDIT BOOT.INI

This worked very well. Thanks! I do have to go to the options to then select which partition, but once there I'm up and running.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm sure there will be more questions to come, but I'm very appreciative of such helpful and fast assistance.

Thanks again,

Greg

I accidentally updated my Kalyway 10.5.5 install to 10.5.6 thru Apple software update. Thanks for the link you provided, I manage to make everything work again :D without reinstalling Mac Os.

I am using Voodoo kernel R1 with system.kext and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 and its working fine including virtual machine Windows XP. Thanks again.

Were did you get your dock from?

Benjamin

Latest issue... I only have a blue screen after following the graphics install from the guide:

Installing Video Card Intel GMA 945 with 1024x600 resolution my Fab.

1. run Kext Helper B7 from your Application Folder

2. open Paul's Wind Driver Utility Pack

3. select ONLY AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, ClamshellDisplay.kext and Natit.kext

4. drag to Kext Helper B7

5. enter your password and click EASY INSTALL

6. Fix Permissions with Disk Utility (launch Disk Utility, select your partition and then click on "Repair Disk Permissions" in the "First Aid" tab). and Restart.

7. after restart you can now change your LCD resolution from 600x800 to 1024x600

I think it must have something to do with the drivers and I saw some posts about connecting to an external monitor. However, I don't have one. Is there any way to go back to the way it was at boot?

Thought I was close to done... :blink: Oh well...

Thanks for the help!

Greg

hi! have you already managed to boot leopard and windows 7? or have anyone used it (in a virtual machine i mean)? i'm really wanto to try out windows 7....

OK, I only have one question for you... we're pretty close to make OS X work almost flawlessly on the AAO, why would you wanna try an OS that hasn't even reached the BETA state like Vienna????? anybody?????

hi! have you already managed to boot leopard and windows 7? or have anyone used it (in a virtual machine i mean)? i'm really wanto to try out windows 7....

According to MS, as far as hardware requirements, Windws 7 will have similar or even slightly lower requirements than Vsta. Hopefully it can run on AA1. I'm seeing Windws 7 beta1 on a virtual machine version on the usual sources, I'll try it out and see if AA1 under Mac OS X with VMware can handle it. :huh:

OK, I only have one question for you... we're pretty close to make OS X work almost flawlessly on the AAO, why would you wanna try an OS that hasn't even reached the BETA state like Vienna????? anybody?????

it's just for research purposes only, don't get mad on me :o ... i just wanna try it cause i'm really curious... i'm not planning to use it as my default OS (i'm actually using XP :P until i got OS X fully working :) ... (well not "fully" i only want wifi... i don't care too much about card readers.... i'm downloading xXx distro for get it working :huh: ...))...

sorry if it bothered you or anybody else :)

it's just for research purposes only, don't get mad on me :o ... i just wanna try it cause i'm really curious... i'm not planning to use it as my default OS (i'm actually using XP :P until i got OS X fully working <_< ... (well not "fully" i only want wifi... i don't care too much about card readers.... i'm downloading xXx distro for get it working :D ...))...

sorry if it bothered you or anybody else :wacko:

It didn't bother me at all, i'm as curious as anybody else, tho I emphasize my question.... I mean I wouldn't mind trying out Vienna, once it reaches RTM but meanwhile I think we just need to be patient that's all.

besides we Mexicans never get mad before xmas, we just have a beer (Victoria) and say SALUD! heheheh...

once again Merry Xmas to all

Some news for the Cardreader-Kext...

Look here...

Website says that Beta 3 is out...if you klick on download, it says Beta 2...strange...anyways, can somebody test it? I have no time...(Christams Tree, Presents, Food, etc...)

Oh, btw: Merry X-Mas to all!!!

Look here...

Website says that Beta 3 is out...if you klick on download, it says Beta 2...strange...anyways, can somebody test it? I have no time...(Christams Tree, Presents, Food, etc...)

Oh, btw: Merry X-Mas to all!!!

I installed it, it only works at the storage expansion SD card reader and not the multi-slot reader. Tested it with the following cards:

16gb SDHC Adata Turbo class 6 - Does not work

4gb SD (not SDHC) Transcend 150x - Does not work

2gb SD - Sandisk Ultra II - it works

I also managed to try out the Windws 7 Ultimate beta1 on virtual machine under Mac OS X 10.5.6 and Vmware. It looks like a strip down version of Vsta Ultimate with some Linux interface.

Btw, enjoy the holidays and Merry Christmas to all!

post-303895-1230136517_thumb.jpg

Finally!!! i've already installed xXx distro over my previous Kalyway install, and it didn't f*ck up my XP installation.... yeah!!! , btw and i got the iso file of WIndows 7... now i'm looking for a tuto for VMware.... like i said i'm only doing this (the Win7 thing) just for research purposes only....

besides we Mexicans never get mad before xmas, we just have a beer (Victoria) and say SALUD! heheheh...

once again Merry Xmas to all

:)

i'm not really a big fan of beer, but I got a lot of tequila :P , I'm from Jalisco ;) ... merry x-mas to all...

I installed VMWare Fusion on my 10.5.5 installation, today. Since rebooting, my wireless will not work anymore. I re-installed the kext to no avail. Sometimes the wireless card isn't found on boot-up. When it is found, I start Kismac and it works for about 3 seconds before the scanning goes to the studder version. I then scan for wireless networks and none are found.

I sure wish that my Dell 1390 or Apple 802.11n card would hurry up and show.

Look here...

Website says that Beta 3 is out...if you klick on download, it says Beta 2...strange...anyways, can somebody test it?

Oops they did it again...Website says now Beta 4, but download says Beta 2...again somebody will test?

Yes, I'm running Win7-6956. Dual Booted..Everything works great..It's a pre-beta so sometimes there are hiccups but overall it runs snappier than Vista on my machine. One experiment I am running right now is to use only open-source apps on the AAO running Win7.

Just get the updated version of 6956 with the watermark removed..There is an activation patch out there too..You may have to search out some intel drivers for the Display..There is also an unofficial windows restore disk on the AAO user forum that you may be able to pull drivers from just in case..Vista drivers work in most instances, with the occasional rejection by Win7 on some drivers and even programs..

Overall tho' I like what I see so far..There will probably be another release within a month or too..Remember it's Pre-beta and unofficial so you're pretty much on your own but nothing too dangerous at all..

BTW-I think we should continue this thread over at the AAO user forum as this is an osx86 site.. :P Let me know if you're over there and I'll share what I can..