Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

Mhm..sounds awesome...but a few questions are left...

.iso or .dmg?

-And why are you talking about that the Stick must be 8 Gig or more? Installation Discs are only 4.7 GB..not more...

Doesn't really matter. I downloaded the XxX ISO and mounted this in Disk Utility

I want to thank everyone here for the help. I have been lurking here for over a two weeks, And with the help of this tutorial, I have gotten Mac OS X 10.5.5 running on my new AAO 150. I have WiFi working, and Duel boot with XP Home. I have also had Ubuntu Netbook Remix installed for about 2 days before reinstalling XP, Attempting to install OS X.

I installed the XxX 10.5.5 install disk with all 3 PPFs, following Aztec_Knight's instructions (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129774&st=400#).

Its been a long time since i have done any serious tinkering like this. I had a blast doing this. I'll hopefully be able to contribute some thing in the future.

I had been researching Netbooks for weeks before hand. Out of all the choices, I chose the Acer Aspire One because of the feel of the casing, the dual SDHC slots, and its overall fit and finish. The case feels solid. It performs very nicely; Windows XP is responsive and feels snappy. I have ordered the bigger 6 Cell battery form Acer (should have looked harder for a 9 cell). The LCD is crisp and bright. Even being glossy, it is easy to read and glare is not an issue. The track pad takes a little getting use to due to the button placement. The keyboard feels nice and the key size is nice for touch typing. When buying a Netbook you need to consider the its designed for word processing, email, and surfing the internet. This AAO is superb at those tasks. Its not a digital video powerhouse, it's ludicrous to expect that. I'll be using mine for class notes, and as a secondary laptop for traveling and around the house. The Aspire One much more convenient then toting around a 17'' Macbook Pro that is my main laptop computer.

Which specific AAO did you get?

This option sounds very appealing to me. With the Acer Aspire One running 10.5.5, does the iPhone SDK run well?

This is the primary reason I want to run OSX (and purchase an AAO)... overall, it sounds like OSX doesn't run sluggish. I see you dual booted XP too..

Input appreciated... :lol:

Which specific AAO did you get?

This option sounds very appealing to me. With the Acer Aspire One running 10.5.5, does the iPhone SDK run well?

This is the primary reason I want to run OSX (and purchase an AAO)... overall, it sounds like OSX doesn't run sluggish. I see you dual booted XP too..

Input appreciated... :)

To be exact: Acer Aspire One AOA150-1405 Netbook - Intel Atom Processor N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Webcam, 3 cell battery, Windows XP Home (Color: Sapphire Blue). 6 cell battery to arrive Jan 2.

Os X does fell very snappy. It runs like my other Macs, for the most part. iPhoto works ok.. Kinda cramped on the screen. iMovie will not load nor GrangeBand. safari runs fine, as does Open office, firefox and Mail.app. iCal works, so does keynote and Pages, but are cramped by the screen. I have not tried the iPhone SDK. Web cam is seen and works in iChat and Photo booth.

Wireless is flakey though. I have to boot windows ad make sure the card is on, then reboot in to OS X with the -v flag.... watch to make sure the card is enabled during boot. Then run kisMAC trunk r319 to scan for networks the use the airport menu to join the network. it seems to "forget" my network even though it is saved in the the settings. Wireless will randomly drop as well.

Also the sleep is still an issue... if it tries to sleep you get a panic and have to reboot. disable sleep.

SD card slot, Multicard slot. are flakey. If a card is in it a boot you are good to go.. but will not mount if you boot with out a card in the slot.

also the SD card slot will not cause iphoto to auto open with a camera formatted SD or SDCH card. I have not tried the latest beta drivers for the card readers as of this post.

Hope this helps. I also got a lot of information from the aspireoneuser.com forums. They have an OS X thread there as well.

Hi,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the excellent guide and follow-ups...sorry to repeat if someone has already pointed this out but today I managed to get hibernation (not full sleep) to work...this writes the machine's state to disk and then shuts down...turning the machine back on restores the state...haven't extensively tested this but here's what I did...

Install this pref pane which changes the sleep mode...

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

Make sure you install the pref pane 'for all users'

Choose 'hibernate only' as the sleep mode

Go to System Prefs -> Security -> General

and uncheck Use secure virtual memory

Again, haven't tested this much but it does successfully allow the machine to save its state and completely shut down all at once which is better than nothing until a full sleep solution emerges.

I'm running OS X 10.5.5 via XxX (following guide here) with voodoo 1.0 and had previously run Insomnia X (with hibernation enabled) though it's not running all the time.

hi, i need to know what kind of dvd drive are u guys using to install this on the AA1 because i was using an desktop internal drive through a sata/usb adapter and it seems to work normally on windows but it gives me problems on the kalyway installation. i know theres nothing wrong with the drive because it loads the osx installation perfectly when plugged in directly through sata to my desktop pc.

hi, i need to know what kind of dvd drive are u guys using to install this on the AA1 because i was using an desktop internal drive through a sata/usb adapter and it seems to work normally on windows but it gives me problems on the kalyway installation. i know theres nothing wrong with the drive because it loads the osx installation perfectly when plugged in directly through sata to my desktop pc.

What kind of problems are you getting with Kalyway? Any external dvd drive should do..I use the LG slim..And I've used a Sony DL external..There's also a running post above and on AAO forum on installing from USB thumb drive..

Hi,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the excellent guide and follow-ups...sorry to repeat if someone has already pointed this out but today I managed to get hibernation (not full sleep) to work...this writes the machine's state to disk and then shuts down...turning the machine back on restores the state...haven't extensively tested this but here's what I did...

Install this pref pane which changes the sleep mode...

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

Make sure you install the pref pane 'for all users'

Choose 'hibernate only' as the sleep mode

Go to System Prefs -> Security -> General

and uncheck Use secure virtual memory

Again, haven't tested this much but it does successfully allow the machine to save its state and completely shut down all at once which is better than nothing until a full sleep solution emerges.

I'm running OS X 10.5.5 via XxX (following guide here) with voodoo 1.0 and had previously run Insomnia X (with hibernation enabled) though it's not running all the time.

How exactly do you use this smart sleep? I installed the pref. pane and unchecked the secure virtual memory. Restarted. When I try to sleep the system the screen turns off and the power light stays on. How does this exactly work and what do you have to do to invoke hibernation?

How exactly do you use this smart sleep? I installed the pref. pane and unchecked the secure virtual memory. Restarted. When I try to sleep the system the screen turns off and the power light stays on. How does this exactly work and what do you have to do to invoke hibernation?

And you chose 'hibernate only' from the smart sleep pref pane?

When choosing sleep, my screen goes blank and the disk activity light goes for about 5 seconds or so while it writes out the contents of memory to disk...then the machine immediately powers down (no light). When starting back up, just past the bios screen, I see "Starting Hibernate" with a brief cursor animation and then "Wake Kernel!"...then the screen pops up in the exact state as it was, applications running etc...5 seconds or so to come up from hitting the power button.

I've successfully done this 50+ times and it's worked perfectly...except once! The screen wouldn't go past the "Wake Kernel!" message and I had to boot the machine off a USB drive and delete the sleepimage file...then it started back up as normal. Still, one failure is once too many so this should be used with caution.

Although hibernation is sort of a fail safe to regular sleep on a Mac, I think the ability to hibernate may be a function of the voodoo kernel in this case...again, I haven't tested this with any other config. I'm new to all this and will report what I find. This sure is better than having to completely shut down every time.

Yeah it's strange. I changed the pref. to Hibernation only. Every time I try to sleep it the same thing happens. The screen turns off and all the lights go out except the power light. Are you also using InsomniaX with this? Would really like to get this to work and appreciate your help!

Thanks

JJ

What kind of problems are you getting with Kalyway? Any external dvd drive should do..I use the LG slim..And I've used a Sony DL external..There's also a running post above and on AAO forum on installing from USB thumb drive..

when i try to boot from the dvd drive it it gives me an error message sayong "EBIOS read error" i know theres a thead about it but it still doesnt give me a clear soultion because i have tryed all methods to solve it and no luck yet

when i try to boot from the dvd drive it it gives me an error message sayong "EBIOS read error" i know theres a thead about it but it still doesnt give me a clear soultion because i have tryed all methods to solve it and no luck yet

Couple more questions:

The DVD drive an SATA drive running on a converter to USB?

Can you get anywhere past the DVD's darwin F8 prompt?

Does it load any files?

Are you dual booting? Does WinXP load or did you wipe the hard drive and are just putting osx on your AAO?

If you wiped the hard drive, which partition map did you use? GUID or MBR?

If dual booting, is the External Drive recognized by WinXP whle plugged into the SATA/USB converter?

Did you partition the blank space in Windows? If so, what filesystem did you use to format? Fat32, NTFS or unformatted..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fact of the matter is, Kalyway 10.5.2, iAtkos 10.5.5, xXx 10.5.5 have been proven to install on all the various AAO configs with default bios settings..This given that the DVD was burned properly and the disk isn't a coaster..

So, narrowing down, next step is to focus on the pieces of hardware that seem out of sync..My feeling is there's a disconnect in the AAO's bios and Darwin's handling of the SATA-USB converter. Probably thinks it's a straight Hard Disk or something..the bios on the AAO isnt terribly sophisticated..

Do you have access to a straight usb dvd external drive? If not can you get ahold of a cheap 8GB thumb drive or external usb hard drive and install that way?

Just got done with an install using xXx 10.5.6. I used aztec's guide on p21 of this thread. There was no GMA950_a27_AAO, so I used GMA950_a27a2. Everything appears to be working, including the wireless through kismac.

Issues:

The system prefs are kinda wonky as they fall off the screen a little bit. Still fully usable, just awkward.

When downloading anything in Safari, I get a kernel panic as it verifies the file after downloading. Often, this causes another kernel panic after the hard reboot, but rebooting after this panic works. Tossing on firefox (that I dled from another comp) avoids that issue.

iChat has a couple issues, and may crash if you click video preview. This is hit and miss.

Video works, sound works, wifi works, multithreading works.

Which sound driver did you use, is your mic volume low?

StiCMAC

Just got done with an install using xXx 10.5.6. I used aztec's guide on p21 of this thread. There was no GMA950_a27_AAO, so I used GMA950_a27a2. Everything appears to be working, including the wireless through kismac.

Issues:

The system prefs are kinda wonky as they fall off the screen a little bit. Still fully usable, just awkward.

When downloading anything in Safari, I get a kernel panic as it verifies the file after downloading. Often, this causes another kernel panic after the hard reboot, but rebooting after this panic works. Tossing on firefox (that I dled from another comp) avoids that issue.

iChat has a couple issues, and may crash if you click video preview. This is hit and miss.

Issues:

so this means that the Atheros WiFi works fine with xXx 10.5.6???? because I'm dwonloading it right now to give it a try....

also an update for those using xXx 10.5.5 with the atheros WiFi, I've seen that if I install any SW that needs Quartz enabled the WiFi stops working upon reboot... any comments about what the Quartz options has to do with any other preference pane or any plist??? like I have said before I don't know much about mac, this is my first try at the apple language....

cheers,

Ed

I recommend using Camino for web browsing. It has an excellent Ad Blocker.

I had working sound but no working microphone on my AAO 110 and of course i wasn't satisfied with that. I downloaded the Acer_Aspire_150_ZG5.zip and used Kext Helper to install the .kexts.

No I have no sound. I have the devices Soundflower 2ch and 16ch, before I had some kind of internal audio system at least.

How do I fix my sound? What should I remove/install? =)

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I've got the 120GB HDD model with 1GB RAM and I ALREADY have Windows XP Pro SP3 on the HDD, I'm installing 10.5.2...

Is there a easy way I can dual boot between the two?

Both partitions are 55GB each.

Can anyone give me any advice?

New member, so hello everyone :D

Can anyone tell me how to copy the xxx iso to a usb key for install, using either a windows or linux distro? (apologies if I missed it!)

I have no access to a mac, nor to an external optical drive...

Also, is the only way to get hold of the iso from the torrents? I've always managed to avoid them to date

Sorry my first post had to be one asking for help :)

Edit - it looks like Leopard HD Install Helper can do the job...

Couple more questions:

The DVD drive an SATA drive running on a converter to USB?

Can you get anywhere past the DVD's darwin F8 prompt?

Does it load any files?

Are you dual booting? Does WinXP load or did you wipe the hard drive and are just putting osx on your AAO?

If you wiped the hard drive, which partition map did you use? GUID or MBR?

If dual booting, is the External Drive recognized by WinXP whle plugged into the SATA/USB converter?

Did you partition the blank space in Windows? If so, what filesystem did you use to format? Fat32, NTFS or unformatted..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fact of the matter is, Kalyway 10.5.2, iAtkos 10.5.5, xXx 10.5.5 have been proven to install on all the various AAO configs with default bios settings..This given that the DVD was burned properly and the disk isn't a coaster..

So, narrowing down, next step is to focus on the pieces of hardware that seem out of sync..My feeling is there's a disconnect in the AAO's bios and Darwin's handling of the SATA-USB converter. Probably thinks it's a straight Hard Disk or something..the bios on the AAO isnt terribly sophisticated..

Do you have access to a straight usb dvd external drive? If not can you get ahold of a cheap 8GB thumb drive or external usb hard drive and install that way?

thanks for replying :idea:

yes is a sata drive runing thourgh a usb converter and it get stuck on the darwin prompt giving me error messages, yes im using win xp and it recognizes the drive perfectly inside the OS, and no i havent partitioned the blank space in windows. i dont have access to another drive and i would like to install it through a usb thumb drive or usb HDD which i have but it seems that the only way to do it is if i have access to an intel mac which i dont, or is there another way to do this.

EDIT: i finally got to install kalyway on my AAO through Leopard HD Install Helper but now got another problem, after i installed 10.5.3 i shut down my computer so i continue the installation later but when i turn it on it wont let me boot up into OSX anymore and it gives me a message saying: "no HFS partition found" i dunno what to do :D

toastnted:

You need to make the USB drive bootable. Follow step 1 (and only step 1!) on this link to make it bootable: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html

Now you'll need to mount the .ISO on your computer, if you use Windows XP or Vista, the easiest way to do this is to download a trial of PowerISO (Google for it) and copy all the files inside the ISO onto your USB.

Now stick the USB in your AA1, and reboot it.

On the BIOS Startup, press F12 and select "USB HDD" from the list, if it's not there then reboot again but press F2 at the BIOS screen and press the Left arrow to the "Boot" tab, now move "USB HDD" so it is above the device labeled "IDE0" (which is your internal HDD). You can put it back afterwards, don't worry.

Now, you should get into the xXx Installer, I've no idea how it works or how to do it via xXx so you'll have to work that out yourself.

And whilst it's possible to get the disk images off torrent sites, it's probably the simplest and fastest way to do it.

I'm kinda confused and can't seem to find a straight answer on the wifi card deal. I've heard that all versions of the Dell 1390 Wifi Card will work and i've heard that only some versions of it will work. If im looking to purchase one is that a certain batch of the cards i should be looking for or is it all Dell 1390 cards that will work?

And you chose 'hibernate only' from the smart sleep pref pane?

When choosing sleep...

Works great for me when I manually put it to sleep. But it won't sleep when I close the lid. Is this possible?

Setup: XxX 10.5.5, InsomniaX removed.