Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

Success!!!!!

10.5.6 fully updated...

Here is what I did....

I edited the Boot.plist back to the original mach_kernel and set cpus=1

Than from the Aspire One iAtkos update did this....

1.- Backup the following files to your desktop

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext (only if you installed the Voodoo 9.5.0 based kernel)

/System/Library/Extensions/seatbelt.kext (only if you installed the Voodoo 9.5.0 based kernel)

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane

Here is where I did my own thing...

2.- Go to Apple.com and download just the 10.5.6 update not the combo.

Before you run the downloaded file, open up Terminal and type "sudo su -" without the quotes. Enter your user password and then type "while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done" without the quotes.

Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install it

Before you reboot, and after updating, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and pressing C (Ctrl + C). Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer. (Thanks Harbot - taken from the guide)

Original

3.- Connect a USB Keyboard and USB Mouse, (can be done before reboot or before power on).

4.- It will reboot by itself while booting, it is normal, dont panic!!

5.- When you are back on the updated 10.5.6 OSX, download http://www.diablo-air.net/update2.zip

6.- Replace the /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane file with the one you have backed up.

And my own thing once more and why....

7.- Using "kext helper" install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext from "update2.zip" (Do not replace the System.kext from the backup. I did test a bit with running Voodoo but I am going to wait for their update first before screwing with it. I had some weird abnormalities like never wanting to restart. Had to force the restart.) Than you may have kernel panic on this point, reboot and do it again.

8.- Reboot.

9.- USB Keyboard and USB Mouse are no longer needed.

10.- Run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions or run in terminal "diskutil repairPermissions /" without quotes and your system is done!

Once here you will have a fully updated system and the only thing you need to do, is Re-Install the Sound Drivers, Video Drivers, and the Mic Fix from the end of the Guide at the beginning of the Tutorial and you are done!

The Full update and iAtkos install guide can be found here....

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...4c3713447d0323f

Could you explain what you are trying to do in a little more detail?

Yea, I just got an Acer Aspire One and don't have an external DVD Rom Drive, and I was wondering if I could install MAC OS X on it without the external DVD Drive. I heard that there was a way to do it with VMWare where you do some kind of native install to the hard drive and then boot to it, and I've looked for a tutorial on how to do it, but I can't find one. Is it possible?

Check - USB fix

Why do you install the USB fix?

Yea, I just got an Acer Aspire One and don't have an external DVD Rom Drive, and I was wondering if I could install MAC OS X on it without the external DVD Drive. I heard that there was a way to do it with VMWare where you do some kind of native install to the hard drive and then boot to it, and I've looked for a tutorial on how to do it, but I can't find one. Is it possible?

I did it :)

In short

Requirements

8Gb USB drive or larger

Installation DVD image

Intel Mac

Chameleon Installer (google it)

• Plug in your USB drive
  • Open Disk Utility
  • Partition your USB drive, 1 partition --> Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Under advanced choose Master Boot Record
  • Open image in Disk Utility
  • Restore Image to USB Drive
  • Unmount, unplug, plug in you USB drive
  • Run Chameleon
  • Choose Change Install Location
  • Install it on your USB drive
  • Now your USB drive is ready
  • Boot your AAO from the USB drive and install OS X

Okay, I did the full kalyway install and it worked fine the first time. Everything worked as described in the tutorial and in the follow ups on this forum. Including external display.

I went to 10.5.6 without reading (or thinking) first and yes we all know what happened next.

long story short, second kalyway install; nothing but headaches. After a long battle, no battery monitor, and no external monitor which is weird since it was one of the few things that did work at first. A couple of unrelated kexts later and i lost external monitor support. I'm not even getting the lines and bars that others get, but my system freezes up and restarts after about 20secs. No response from the tv. Not even a flicker.

I try a xxx install and everything works great. Except, no external monitor. At first, lines and bars when connected. Then, for whatever reason it starts doing the same thing. Freeze and restart, no option. As soon as my vga plug touches the port.

The only strange thing I noticed is that when my tv was in use as a monitor before, it would go into 'sleep' mode and become unresponsive after a set time until prompted by any input from the aa1, just like a standard computer monitor. Now when I connect my vga cable in the back of the tv it immediately goes into sleep and becomes unresponsive, even when the other end of the cable is attached to nothing. Possibly a hardware malfunction?

Either way, it worked on my very first install no problem. I know MY tv and MY aa1 DO work together, and now I've tried everything I've found reading this forum back to front and I can't get it back.

This is very frustrating, I'd really appreciate some help.

EDIT***************

Finally Got My External Display to stop Freezing When I Connect My VGA Cable!!

This is the most asinine solution I've ever come up with;

goto system preferences>universal access

Turn on voice over and open voice over utility

Check 'voice over cursor follows mouse cursor'

Now the VO will call out whatever your mouse is hovering over.

Open display settings and check 'show displays in menu bar'

click on the display icon in the menu bar and float your cursor over the first item 'detect displays' and don't move it!

TURN OFF your TV and then attach the VGA cable. You should get lines and bars instead of freeze up. Now that your monitor is connected, the option to 'turn off mirror' has appeared just below detect displays in the menu, although you can't see it through the distorted image.

Drift your cursor down just a tad until the VO says the magic phrase "Turn off mirroring" and click.

That's it!

...unbelievable.

Anyone knows if blutooth and 3G upgrade is available?

Has anyone tried this touch screen mode yet?

If yes any comments? OS X compatible?

I have ordered this wireless card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-MacBook-Mac-Pro-Br...93%3A1|294%3A50

any comments? I think it will be compatible right? Moreover what is that thing with the 2 or 3 antennas?

Thanks, keep it up, fantastic topic :)

any comments? I think it will be compatible right? Moreover what is that thing with the 2 or 3 antennas?

Thanks, keep it up, fantastic topic :)

I saw that one of the solderless touchscreen kits came with an internal usb hub which I thought would be useful getting by itself if you wanted to add bluetooth to the device. One bad thing about the touchscreen I heard is that it really tanks your battery. Could cut the usual 2 hrs run time down to about an hour. I'd suggest going to youtube and search "Aspire One OS X" :)

Thanks for the tutorial, but working in Vanila Kernel?

Correct, at the start of the small guide I switch to the Vanilla kernel and leave it that way. Reason being is that the Voodoo kernel needs an update as they suggest on their site, and there are some weird random behaviors when running it.

Thanks, keep it up, fantastic topic :(

Bluetooth will work, you need an OS X compatible USB Bluetooth module, someone on the forum has said they got their 3G option to work, don't know how. I would love to use the touchscreen but yeah, my thought was the massive drain on battery (comes with OS X drivers), would love to add an additional USB hub without soldering, anyone have an idea on that? I also have a wifi card that was pulled from a MacBook (lol) and what are you referring to with, "what is that thing with the 2 or 3 antennas?" Not quite sure what you are asking for here....

~Stephen

Same here, out of the blue system crashes and text is over the interface, I can definitely read Kernel Panic somewhere in there...

So what do we lose if we go the Vanilla Kernel way?

No hyper threading?

BTW anyone has Xbench scores with or without Voodoo Kernel?

My scores with Voodoo Kernel and 1 GB of RAM was 44.08.

Any others to make some comparisons?

I ll post with Vanilla Kernel too.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AT ALL ENABLE QUARTZ GL OR YOUR WIFI WILL STOP WORKING AND DISABLING IT BACK WON'T DO A THING (QUITE IRONICALLY NOT EVEN RESTORING KEXT'S WILL DO) AND THE ONLY WAY I FOUND TO RE ENABLE WiFi WAS TO RE-IMAGE MY SYSTEM[/b][/color][/color].

Wow! That would certainly explain where my Wifi keeps disappearing each time I do a purge and restore,

but anybody got a faintest clue WHY? I know there are multiple linked dependencies in most of

the binaries in OS-X, including kexts & prefPanes. But did anybody here ever try to map what is leaning on what else?

I followed aztec_knight's procedure and all went well except for wireless. My wireless MAC does not show up when I boot with -v. I can run lspci and it shows up, but the Airport Module will not find it. I think it has something to do with not being powered up. I am installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 on my first partition, enabling wireless, and then booting back into OS X. I hope this does the trick. I will post my results.

I finally got it working on my AAO. I had to reinstall Ubuntu and xXx 10.5.5. I had to boot into Ubuntu and get the wireless working before I booted into OS X. The difference may have been that I booted OS X with the -f flag. When I did this, the wireless MAC appeared in the messages. After it appeared, all went well and I am posting this with my wireless connection.

Thanks again for all of the postings and help.

Speakeasy.tiff

Here is a wireless speed test from Speakeasy. It is working as well as any other wireless setup I have.

... would love to add an additional USB hub without soldering, anyone have an idea on that?

The only place I saw this part was in this touchscreen package:

TouchScreen

It apparently plugs into the part where the camera goes I think. I found this by simply going to ebay and did a search for "touchscreen aspire one". I didn't look too hard for this part in other places yet because I've been so busy with school and holiday stuff. If you guys find a place where you can order this part separate let me know! I'll do the same :) .

L8trz and Happy Holidays :) :) !!

JJ

The only other thing I'd like to change on the AA1 is the volume of the speakers. I wish you could either swap them out for better ones or somehow raise them maybe like 5 or 10 dB. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, keep it up, fantastic topic :P

I had one of those, works fine.. only 2 antennas on the AAO but fast and range is great.

I used apple's boot camp drivers for it on WinXP, can turn off the card with the hardware switch but cannot turn it on again, use "repair" function to turn it on. (is there a better way?)

In OSX, do not turn of you wifi with the hardware switch, won't be able to turn it on again, got to go back to WinXP to "repair".

Beside this small quirk, I love the card.

I'm very noob to the whole osx86 project but have tried to read through as much of this thread as makes sense to me, so please excuse if the question's been asked and point me to the answering URL.

I've followed the tutorial instructions and, as soon as the install is complete, the system reboots but goes straight to XP without ever showing Darwin (used Kalyway 10.5.2). I can't seem to get it to boot to the OsX partition.

Does anyone have any recommendations? This is very frustrating. Also, my plan was to go through the entire thread from the beginning to the end, but it seems that people have gotten things like WiFi working. As such, is there any sort of updated tutorial on installing?

My system:

Acer Aspire One ZG5 1Gb RAM, 120Gb HD, Partitioned between Acer Restore (~5Gb), XP, and OsX partition. WiFi card is an Atheros AR5BXB63.

Thanks!!!

Greg

I'm very noob to the whole osx86 project but have tried to read through as much of this thread as makes sense to me, so please excuse if the question's been asked and point me to the answering URL.

I've followed the tutorial instructions and, as soon as the install is complete, the system reboots but goes straight to XP without ever showing Darwin (used Kalyway 10.5.2). I can't seem to get it to boot to the OsX partition.

Does anyone have any recommendations? This is very frustrating. Also, my plan was to go through the entire thread from the beginning to the end, but it seems that people have gotten things like WiFi working. As such, is there any sort of updated tutorial on installing?

My system:

Acer Aspire One ZG5 1Gb RAM, 120Gb HD, Partitioned between Acer Restore (~5Gb), XP, and OsX partition. WiFi card is an Atheros AR5BXB63.

Thanks!!!

Greg

It's booting to XP because your active partition is the XP Partition. You need to use diskpart at windows command prompt and set the partition with the OS X installed to active so it will boot the Mac OS. Once you do this it will load to the Darwin boot which you can select to boot to OS X or XP when you press any key during the 5 sec. countdown.

I followed aztec_knight's procedure and all went well except for wireless. My wireless MAC does not show up when I boot with -v. I can run lspci and it shows up, but the Airport Module will not find it. I think it has something to do with not being powered up. I am installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 on my first partition, enabling wireless, and then booting back into OS X. I hope this does the trick. I will post my results.

YEHA!!! I thought I had mentioned the "-f" flag on the instructions, Seriously my bad, I have updated it so no one has that issue.

cheers

btw, I have found some spanish (http://sinmessenger.com/servlets/loginPage) website with a java version of Windows Live, and allows video call; the only thing is that I can't get the mic to work on:S it does recognize the webcam right off the bat and I know the mic works for recording but I know it doesn't work with say skype, AMSN and some other crossplatform SW, any comments about how to fix that?

I'm running XXX 10.5.5 with the guide I posted before.

cheers

Ed.

My system:

Thanks!!!

Greg

Yeah, your OSX partition looks like its not flagged as active. Two ways you can do this.

1) If you want to use Mac's Darwin Bootloader to show your hard drive choices at boot time go here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/B0_error

2) If you want to use the Windows Bootloader Do this:

Make future OS X install bootable

reboot to inside xp

Add chain0 to drive C

open control panel>>system>>advanced>>startup and recovery click edit and add this line to the end of the page."C:\chain0="OS X""

Wow! That would certainly explain where my Wifi keeps disappearing each time I do a purge and restore,

but anybody got a faintest clue WHY? I know there are multiple linked dependencies in most of

the binaries in OS-X, including kexts & prefPanes. But did anybody here ever try to map what is leaning on what else?

I would really love an answer for that but you know, it's not many of us that are trying to make the generic WiFi work under OS X most people would rather open up the machine and swap the card (which under my perspective, it kinda defeats the purpose of what we're doing here, which is make the OS work with what you have) so I don't really think we'll get an answer for that if it only regards the Atheros WiFi or say SIS chipsets (which are really bad anyways under any OS lol) maybe if it interferes with any other device of more importance like the screen or so...

but then again if someone can give us an answer on that would be awesome :)

Hapy Holidays to all

Feliz Navidad to all

Hello all, has anyone tried install XxX distro with vanilla Kernel?

I tried that yesterday ad my system keeps restarting after tha first initial Darwin booting screen, doesn't go to the gray screen with tha apple in other words.

Just keeps restarting and restarting...

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks