Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

Also from Mexico, Puebla to be precise...

Does SDHC card reader "Storage Expansion" work after 10.5.6? I'm not quite sure to have read it correctly... Does ti work with High Capacity cards?

And the Atheros driver works correctly, for further instructiones read the post on AspireOneUser forum.

Greetings and thanks

Does SDHC card reader "Storage Expansion" work after 10.5.6? I'm not quite sure to have read it correctly... Does ti work with High Capacity cards?

I had the "Storage Expansion" & multi-card reader working with my 2gb SD card before 10.5.6. (I installed a kext from sourceforge.net mentioned earlier in this thread) 10.5.6 broke my multi-card reader, but the one labeled "Storage Expansion" continued to work just fine.

Hope this answers your question.

Well, just partially, I also had installed the kext from sourceforge, the one stated to work with Dell Mini 9, which uses Jmicron readers, but I never got it working, in fact, when card was inserted, lagged dramatically the system to the point of kernell panic at boot. I just reinstalled with Kalyway and never installed the kext again.

Maybe it was due to the fact that I'm using an 8 GB SDHC, I now beta 2 of the driver had problems, but, if 10.5.6 gives me access to the card, I'll be happy since I have my documents and some mp3's there. I have the SSD version, so I used the SD a lot. Then swapped for a 30 GB 1.8" Hdd and everything was fine, but I sill miss my files on the SD. Oh yeah, I got rid of XP so I would really like the SD option.

Thanks again

On another note, would this work?

• Solder using 30 AWG wires a stripped USB HUB directly to the USB connector on the PCI-E slot, place it where the 3g Modem was meant supposed to be, then plug an (stripped) SDHC card reader with my 8 SDHC card, so BIOS would let me boot Win XP from SD acting as USB HDD, or just to use the SD for the sake of it.
  • Maybe also a USB Bluetooth adapter.
  • Don't know if a generic IR receiver would work with OS X, for Apple Remote and Front Row.

Like it has been done on the eeePcs. Again, thanks in advance.

Well I got mine up and running all the way to 10.5.5. I wont try 10.5.6 yet because it looks like too many of you are having some issues with it. I'm waiting for my Broadcom wireless N chip before I get wireless, but I would like to install the Voodoo kernal. Can someone please let me know how I can get from my vanilla kernal to the voodoo kernal? is there anything else I should do?

Thanks a lot for this thread, this is the coolest thing ever!

Hey guys! I am just about to start my install of OSX on my AA1 but I have a question about the BIOS update. I just checked my bios before I did anything and it reads that I have version 3305. Now the first post tells me to update it to 3304, does it have to be at 3304 or can I start with my bios at 3305.

I am running Bios 3309 with mine and find it works quite well. Nothing too noticeable really from 3304 or 3305 but it was supposed to fix something with the battery. You need to have Bios 3304 or higher to be able to use this guide.

Also from Mexico, Puebla to be precise...

And the Atheros driver works correctly, for further instructiones read the post on AspireOneUser forum.

Greetings and thanks

I am going to put my answer for these two posts together....

I had the "Storage Expansion" & multi-card reader working with my 2gb SD card before 10.5.6. (I installed a kext from sourceforge.net mentioned earlier in this thread) 10.5.6 broke my multi-card reader, but the one labeled "Storage Expansion" continued to work just fine.

Hope this answers your question.

This is directly copied and pasted from the developers site who is writing the driver, and give s a little more info on the install procedure. I would suggest everyone check it out as to the future development of this.

The only machine all the features of the driver are known to work on is the Dell Mini 9 under Mac OS X 10.5.5. Some success has been reported on the Acer Aspire One as well, particularly if a card is present in the slot when the machine is booted. Installation: Copy the driver to /System/Library/Extensions and run

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext and reboot and you should be running!

I have not tried this yet but I am hoping this fixed my original problem under 10.5.5. And apparently for best compatibility have the card in the machine when you turn it on..

Also - Visit Developers site....

~Stephen

.... the Atheros driver works correctly, for further instructiones read the post on AspireOneUser forum.

hello viko... can you post the link from the AOU forum??? or can you help me... My install is Kalyway.... updated to 10.5.5.... i get the airport card recognized, just can't find any network (i'm trying in my school, XP detects them)....

hello viko... can you post the link from the AOU forum??? or can you help me... My install is Kalyway.... updated to 10.5.5.... i get the airport card recognized, just can't find any network (i'm trying in my school, XP detects them)....

Hola.

OK well I did lots of WiFi testing on my AAO running Kalyway and it actually doesn't work at all (the WiFi that is), so far I think it that running the XXX installation will do you better than the Kalyway it saves you time when it comes to installing drivers and all. in fact I'm posting right this minute connected through WiFi.

cheers

Hey guys, just picked up the Acer Aspire One with the 160gb hard drive. I'm guessing that makes it fall into the A150X category. Weird how I can't find a model number listed on the laptop except for model # ZG5.

Anyways, I am ready to download the XXX release and try this baby out, but realize there's 20 pages of posts. Is the OP updated enough or is there a more up-to-date tutorial that I should be looking up? My main Hackintosh is running 10.5.2 and I stopped updating at that point as I don't see any real need to go higher and it just breaks things that work normally.

I'd also like to know the following:

Does Mic-in work?

I'm guessing by the post above me that the stock wireless works now?

Basically I can't sleep this system, and if I can, I have to re-enable wireless?

Looking to dual boot Vista/OSX. Any help would be great and when I'm done I will obviously help other people in getting theirs to work, and not just slink away in the darkness.

Has anybody tried connecting their AA1 to a standard def. tv? I'm trying to figure out how. So far I have a VGA to S-Video/Composite adapter, but I'm having trouble getting a 640X480i NTSC setting in system prefs. I tried coping one from my iMac to the AA1 but it didn't show up. You guys have any suggestions? Also have the GMA950 package if anyone is having trouble mirroring :D Any suggestions?

JJ

Got myself an acer aspire one 120GB with 1GB ram. Used the tutorial for xxx 10.5.5 and it installed perfectly and everything worked apart from wifi (as expected). Today I opened it up put in a dell 1390, booted into OS X, no hassle, airport detected and wirelesss working with no problems.

Thanks to everyone for all thier posts in this thread, I now have a mini macbook :)

To anyone thinking of playing with the other wireless card I would recommend just installing a 1390 took me 10 minutes and was extremely easy to do.

Following this guide was awesome. You guys are great. I have a problem now that I could use a little help with. I didn't read ahead on this thread and I used the built-in updater to go to 10.5.6. Well, as we all know, not a good idea. My question is, What's the easiest way to revert back to 10.5.5? I am really not looking forward to reinstalling.

I've completed the install and everything seems to be working fine, except of course sleep and wifi but I'm working on the Wifi right now. I am getting an issue when I shut down, a message pops up that says you need to restart, and hold down the power button to restart. Why am I getting this? Is something wrong or do I need an "-v update" or something like that?

Got myself an acer aspire one 120GB with 1GB ram. Used the tutorial for xxx 10.5.5 and it installed perfectly and everything worked apart from wifi (as expected). Today I opened it up put in a dell 1390, booted into OS X, no hassle, airport detected and wirelesss working with no problems.

Thanks to everyone for all thier posts in this thread, I now have a mini macbook :)

To anyone thinking of playing with the other wireless card I would recommend just installing a 1390 took me 10 minutes and was extremely easy to do.

Just curious, did you apply the PPF1, PPF2 and recently released PPF3 to your disk before using the CD? if so, could you share how you applied them?

Following this guide was awesome. You guys are great. I have a problem now that I could use a little help with. I didn't read ahead on this thread and I used the built-in updater to go to 10.5.6. Well, as we all know, not a good idea. My question is, What's the easiest way to revert back to 10.5.5? I am really not looking forward to reinstalling.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I tried to downgrade as well, didn't work... You would need to do a full re-install till we see something happen with 10.5.6...

~Stephen

I've completed the install and everything seems to be working fine, except of course sleep and wifi but I'm working on the Wifi right now. I am getting an issue when I shut down, a message pops up that says you need to restart, and hold down the power button to restart. Why am I getting this? Is something wrong or do I need an "-v update" or something like that?

Get ready... my answer will solve your Sleep and Shutdown problems!

Install InsomniaX. Enable Insomnia and Hibernation. Under Preferences, set it to "Load on Start" AND (very important) Enable Sounds.

The reason why enabling sounds is so important is that in order for you to be able to shutdown properly, you have to play a sound. Weird, I know, but it will solve this issue!

Now, there is a way to change the sounds by following the steps below:

Go to Applications/InsomniaX

Right click on InsomniaX and select "Show Package Contents"

Go to Contents/Resources/ and you'll find 2 MP3 files titled "loaded" and "unloaded"

Replace these with MP3s of your choice - make sure you name them the same.

Just curious, did you apply the PPF1, PPF2 and recently released PPF3 to your disk before using the CD? if so, could you share how you applied them?

Is PPF3 neccessary for the AAO OSx86 install?

BTW - I used PPFMaster for OSX to apply PPF1 & PPF2 patches to XxX 10.5.5 iso

Install InsomniaX. Enable Insomnia and Hibernation. Under Preferences, set it to "Load on Start" AND (very important) Enable Sounds.

The reason why enabling sounds is so important is that in order for you to be able to shutdown properly, you have to play a sound. Weird, I know, but it will solve this issue!

Go to Contents/Resources/ and you'll find 2 MP3 files titled "loaded" and "unloaded"

Is PPF3 neccessary for the AAO OSx86 install?

BTW - I used PPFMaster for OSX to apply PPF1 & PPF2 patches to XxX 10.5.5 iso

Thanks for the Insomnia Tips, I already have it loaded and would love to put the thing into sleep mode. Now for the PPF Files... It is not necessary per say, but apparently if you want to try the 10.5.6 install it is. Something about a DSDT file, and update of EFI V9. PPF 2 had a beta of these I believe, and PPF3 is supposed to incorporate the full version from my understanding. So I think if we are to try and update to 10.5.6, this would be our best bet.

~Stephen

Update...

Link to the XxX 10.5.5 Developers site - http://xxx-install-disc.blogspot.com/

Update #2/Question...

When you choose both Enable Insomnia and Hibernation, do you choose the option of Instant or Low Power? I was presented with these when enabling both...

On my previous installs, a restart loop meant too many kexts are trying to load at the same time..When I loaded up and added two chipset drivers or VGA drivers thinking it will catch at least one of them..

Here's my configuration. People have reported using xXx out of the box, but I was missing some things. Others may have different or better suggestions..My Specs: I am running AAO with 320GB hard drive, BIOS 3305, Dual Boot Windows 7 pre-beta, 1.5GB ram, Dell 1590 Wireless.

I just did the following install 5 minutes ago so I know it works flawlessly on my machine..

If you haven't done so, update your xXx disc with the PPF2 patch and then try choosing these for your AAO as a start (at your own risk):

Check - Essential System Software

Check - PC_EFI9 (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - DSDT patch (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - Essential Kexts

Check - Kernel = Voodoo 9.5 v1.0 (you can choose whichever you'd like or no choice for default)

Check - Chipset = ICHx

Check - Video = GMA950 0x27 AAO version

Check - Network = Realtek1000 (you'll probably need an ethernet connection to get through the setup routine)

Check - Audio = ALC268 AAO version

Check - Power = ACPIBatteryManager Chun Nan version

Check - Others = Boot Prompt (for some reason Darwin boot options weren't showing up without this)

Check - Tools

After setup,

1) Change Sleep settings to Never

2) If you used Voodoo kernel you can edit com.apple.boot.plist to add "cpus=2" for Hyperthreading, tho' I haven't been able to get this to show in profiler on my machine.

3) Add a longer Darwin timeout in com.apple.boot.plist - I changed mine to 30 sec so I have plenty of time

3) Change trackpad settings to tap/click if you want

CAVEATS:

Sleep doesn't work

There may be a Atheros 5007ag fix if you don't want to buy a new wireless card (search InsanelyMac or AspireOneUser.com)

I heard there are now patched drivers for SD card only, haven't tested..AspireOneUser.com or osxsdhci.sourceforge.net

Oh yeah, always boot with -v until your machine is dialed in so you can see what's happening!

Check here often for more fixes and tuneups..there are many Geniuses working hard to help!!

hi, i got some questions....do the sound and mic work?? what about plugging an external display???

does reinstalling Leopard could mess my XP installation?? i first installed leopard, and after XP... in MBR partition scheme (gui didn't worked for me...) i got an AAO 120GB 1GB ram...

Edit:

How can i apply the PPF patches???

wow, what's this about the sound? Normaly I close insomniaX before shuting down the system, else I get a kernel panic. Does what you say on your post mean you don't really need to? Would be great if you could explain this a bit more in-depth.

Thanks!