Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 running and have upgraded to 10.5.3. When I try to upgrade to 10.5.4, my keyboard and trackpad stop working. If I upgrade to the VooDoo kernel, will I be able to use the Internet update to 10.5.5 without issues? If not, how can I get my trackpad and keyboard to work after upgrading to 10.5.4 via the Delta update?

Hi everyone

With the risk of repeting somthing you all have writen houndreds of times.

Im about to buy Aspire One A150 and need to get som things straight.

1) Audio works flawless?

2) Mic works?

3) Cam works?

4) does wifi work? (after changing the card)

5) Does two finger gestures work on the trackpad?

6) What dosen't work...

and is there anyware to find a user guide on the web?

Thanks in advance.

On my previous installs, a restart loop meant too many kexts are trying to load at the same time..When I loaded up and added two chipset drivers or VGA drivers thinking it will catch at least one of them..

Here's my configuration. People have reported using xXx out of the box, but I was missing some things. Others may have different or better suggestions..My Specs: I am running AAO with 320GB hard drive, BIOS 3305, Dual Boot Windows 7 pre-beta, 1.5GB ram, Dell 1590 Wireless.

I just did the following install 5 minutes ago so I know it works flawlessly on my machine..

If you haven't done so, update your xXx disc with the PPF2 patch and then try choosing these for your AAO as a start (at your own risk):

Check - Essential System Software

Check - PC_EFI9 (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - DSDT patch (needed to update to 10.5.6 next week)

Check - Essential Kexts

Check - Kernel = Voodoo 9.5 v1.0 (you can choose whichever you'd like or no choice for default)

Check - Chipset = ICHx

Check - Video = GMA950 0x27 AAO version

Check - Network = Realtek1000 (you'll probably need an ethernet connection to get through the setup routine)

Check - Audio = ALC268 AAO version

Check - Power = ACPIBatteryManager Chun Nan version

Check - Others = Boot Prompt (for some reason Darwin boot options weren't showing up without this)

Check - Tools

After setup,

1) Change Sleep settings to Never

2) If you used Voodoo kernel you can edit com.apple.boot.plist to add "cpus=2" for Hyperthreading, tho' I haven't been able to get this to show in profiler on my machine.

3) Add a longer Darwin timeout in com.apple.boot.plist - I changed mine to 30 sec so I have plenty of time

3) Change trackpad settings to tap/click if you want

CAVEATS:

Sleep doesn't work

There may be a Atheros 5007ag fix if you don't want to buy a new wireless card (search InsanelyMac or AspireOneUser.com)

I heard there are now patched drivers for SD card only, haven't tested..AspireOneUser.com or osxsdhci.sourceforge.net

Oh yeah, always boot with -v until your machine is dialed in so you can see what's happening!

Check here often for more fixes and tuneups..there are many Geniuses working hard to help!!

Please add this to the first post, its really good stuff.

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 running and have upgraded to 10.5.3. When I try to upgrade to 10.5.4, my keyboard and trackpad stop working. If I upgrade to the VooDoo kernel, will I be able to use the Internet update to 10.5.5 without issues? If not, how can I get my trackpad and keyboard to work after upgrading to 10.5.4 via the Delta update?

Read through the posts (I believe it's on page 12 or 13) on this topic there is a download of *.Kext files to get your KB and trackpad running again, once you have installed those .kext files then you can run the update and w/e else you need :tomato:

cheers

Ed

FYI, I downloaded 10.5.6 via the apple website and installed it the the same way as suggested for 10.5.4 and 10.5.5. I have noticed 6 issues so far:

Battery indicator> Now showing "No batteries available"

Sound> "No input devices found"

Display> Resolution is once again 800x600

SD/multi-card readers> SD "storage expansion" card reader works. Multi-card reader doesn't anymore. (I had the sourceforge beta 2 installed)

KEYBOARD DOES NOT WORK!

TRACK PAD DOES NOT WORK!

I'm about to go through and reinstall the kexts that were originally used to fix these items. I imagine that will fix things. I'm hoping playing with System Preferences will fix the keyboard issue. *crosses fingers*

Update:

Battery> indicator began working on its own after a 2nd reboot.

Sound/Display> Working again. (followed the steps used to install them at the beginning of this tutorial)

Keyboard/Trackpad> Nothing in System Preferences fixes this issue. 10.5.6 included an update that is supposed to add a trackpad system preference pane for macbooks. Does anyone know if there is a way to make Leopard think that it's installed on a macbook? Currently my mac mini sees it as a mac pro, which could be the problem.

Sorry to be always crying out for help but I now have a new issue. Keep in mind I haven't done any updates or installed any software to my AA1. Now when I boot I get the normal grey apple screen followed by the usual spinning loading icon. It then switches to the blue screen right before the desktop and than after a couple of seconds the screen flashes and that loading icon appears again on the blue screen! I've been using a mac for a long time now and never have seen that before. Powered off and tried to boot in safe mode....same thing. Booted with diag. messages and keep seeing something about it trying to load the login window before it cycled over and over again. Powered off and booted into single user mode and tried to repair permissions by using the command "sbin/fsck -fy" and it said that my file system was modified. Ran the command again and it said my system appeared to be ok. Rebooted, issue still persists. Any of you guys have a suggestion? Also I'd like to note that there is a small black dot in the upper left corner of my screen when it gets to the blue screen. First was worried it was a dead pixel but it doesn't appear in XP. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

JJ

FYI, I downloaded 10.5.6 via the apple website and installed it the the same way as suggested for 10.5.4 and 10.5.5. I have noticed 6 issues so far:

Battery indicator> Now showing "No batteries available"

Sound> "No input devices found"

Display> Resolution is once again 800x600

SD/multi-card readers> SD "storage expansion" card reader works. Multi-card reader doesn't anymore. (I had the sourceforge beta 2 installed)

KEYBOARD DOES NOT WORK!

TRACK PAD DOES NOT WORK!

I'm about to go through and reinstall the kexts that were originally used to fix these items. I imagine that will fix things. I'm hoping playing with System Preferences will fix the keyboard issue. *crosses fingers*

Update:

Battery> indicator began working on its own after a 2nd reboot.

Sound/Display> Working again. (followed the steps used to install them at the beginning of this tutorial)

Keyboard/Trackpad> Nothing in System Preferences fixes this issue. 10.5.6 included an update that is supposed to add a trackpad system preference pane for macbooks. Does anyone know if there is a way to make Leopard think that it's installed on a macbook? Currently my mac mini sees it as a mac pro, which could be the problem.

Well I decided to as well, and same thing... Keyboard and mouse don't work at all, DAMN! The Battery Mananger no problems, and the resolution was an easy fix, but I still need my keyboard and mouse so about to restore back to 10.5.5... Here is to hoping...

~Stephen

I really hope this is the beginning of someone getting the AAO's default network card to work.

Not gonna work, the Wind uses a realtek chip. The AAO uses an Atheros chip, either way I am swapping to the broadcom, its better supported all around and causes less trouble even under linux.

thanks to the brave soles for testing the new apple update. if anyone figures out a few fixes to everything keep us posted

There is some partial hope to this....

I was reading on the XxX Disc blog site, that apparently they have something included on their disc, some preparation files for the 10.5.6 update. I don't know exactly what the files really do, but we shall see, I am going to try and install from that disc once I am done here.

~Stephen

There is some partial hope to this....

I was reading on the XxX Disc blog site, that apparently they have something included on their disc where you are preparing for the 10.5.6 update. I don't know exactly what the files really do, but we shall see, I am going to try and install from that disc once I am done here.

~Stephen

Good job on the research! i am new to mac but the whole time machine seems like it could work as a way to restore all the your personal files and settings as well.. if you get 10.5.6 working with the xxx see if you can make back up on an external drive using time machine before you install the xxx disk then when complete and updated to 10.5.6 attempt to restore everything see if that works out. be great if you didnt have to lose everything on a new install

Is there any chance that the

<h2 class="posttitle">MSI U100 Wind</h2>has the same wifi card as the Acer Aspire One?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/15/realtek...-msi-u100-wind/

no, sadly we have this one: Atheros AR5007EG

http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5007EG.htm

I really hope this is the beginning of someone getting the AAO's default network card to work.

i tried this but for me it didn't work D=

hopefuly atheros release itselfs soon....

if you want the winds drivers it's in the bottom of this post....

Edit: i've found this it's an old post as you can notice....:

extracted from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52420

Nevermind....

Edit number 2:

Best check this link out:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=135572

Nevermind... again...

Edit number 3 (and hopefully the last edit):

The post name is...

Atheros AR5007 working! Heres the guide. (i asume i don't need to explain it...)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351 :) i will try this tonigh...

no, sadly we have this one: Atheros AR5007EG

http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5007EG.htm

i tried this but for me it didn't work D=

hopefuly atheros release itselfs soon....

if you want the winds drivers it's in the bottom of this post....

Edit: i've found this it's an old post as you can notice....:

extracted from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52420

Nevermind....

Edit number 2:

Best check this link out:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=135572

Nevermind... again...

Edit number 3 (and hopefully the last edit):

The post name is...

Atheros AR5007 working! Heres the guide. (i asume i don't need to explain it...)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351 :) i will try this tonigh...

AHHHHH You beat me with this news!!! hahaha good thing I didn't order the other wifi yet! (posting using my Atheros AR5007)

Perseverance my friends! it will all work in the end we have an awesome team helping out!!!

Cheers

AHHHHH You beat me with this news!!! hahaha good thing I didn't order the other wifi yet! (posting using my Atheros AR5007)

Perseverance my friends! it will all work in the end we have an awesome team helping out!!!

Cheers

yeah!!! hopefully i got this working too!!! greetings from GDL Mexico!!!

Edit:

Got the icon working, no kernel panics for now... but the card is recognized as AirPort, the problem is that i can't activate it...

Could it be happenig because i ran Kismac in a place with no wifi spots??? or what??

Quick little update...

Going through the process to restore I figured lets try the 10.5.6 update after the 10.5.5 in the guide, and it still does not allow the keyboard or trackpad to respond...

I also had a problem with the XxX install disk so I am going back to 10.5.5 for now as I have finals this week and will toy with another day... DOH!

~Stephen

yeah!!! hopefully i got this working too!!! greetings from GDL Mexico!!!

Edit:

Got the icon working, no kernel panics for now... but the card is recognized as AirPort, the problem is that i can't activate it...

Could it be happenig because i ran Kismac in a place with no wifi spots??? or what??

well for me it worked instantly tho I installed the XXX ISO because with Kalyway I tested it for bout 3 days and nothing got to work... with XXX ISO all you need to do is apply the IO8211Family.kext Use the Airport Network assistant to turn the card on. run Kismac as it is explained in the blog and it voila! it works

Greetings from Edmonton AB Canada.

btw I'm Mexican too hehe

QUE ViVa MeXiCo!!!

Edit.

WiFi stops responding when the system restarts and gives a panic message. so to make it work properly the "Airpot" has to be turned off before restart or shut down. Once back in the OS, initialize Kismac, assign driver Airport Express passive mode again, turn on WiFi and then scan with Kismac and Wifi Lives again!!

Quick little update...

Going through the process to restore I figured lets try the 10.5.6 update after the 10.5.5 in the guide, and it still does not allow the keyboard or trackpad to respond...

I also had a problem with the XxX install disk so I am going back to 10.5.5 for now as I have finals this week and will toy with another day... DOH!

~Stephen

I installed the XXX with the same settings as post #343 but added the USB fix and it all works flawlessly includding Atheros wifi. but of course i have not installed update 10.5.6.

cheers

and thanks for the help provided b4 a beer for SBMac!!!

And thats why I always backup my working ACPIPS2Nub and Controller before Upgrading...Until now, it always worked after re-installing these... :( . I don't know how it works in 10.5.6, since I don't have the time to update, but maybe you should try that out...I don't tested it, but maybe it works...

For your "MacBook"...although I don't think it has something to do with the SMBIOS/Update...use other SMBIOS...look here...(at your own risk, can break your Install, first try the Nub and Controller...)

Hey guys! I am just about to start my install of OSX on my AA1 but I have a question about the BIOS update. I just checked my bios before I did anything and it reads that I have version 3305. Now the first post tells me to update it to 3304, does it have to be at 3304 or can I start with my bios at 3305.

Hey guys! I am just about to start my install of OSX on my AA1 but I have a question about the BIOS update. I just checked my bios before I did anything and it reads that I have version 3305. Now the first post tells me to update it to 3304, does it have to be at 3304 or can I start with my bios at 3305.

3305 is fine. BTW - most recent BIOS version is 3309 and can be found on page 17 or 18

And thats why I always backup my working ACPIPS2Nub and Controller before Upgrading...Until now, it always worked after re-installing these... :whistle: . I don't know how it works in 10.5.6, since I don't have the time to update, but maybe you should try that out...I don't tested it, but maybe it works...

For your "MacBook"...although I don't think it has something to do with the SMBIOS/Update...use other SMBIOS...look here...(at your own risk, can break your Install, first try the Nub and Controller...)

I found ACPIPS2Nub.kext within AppleACPIPlatform.kext, but where do I find Controller?

Currently I've gone back to 10.5.5, but will try 10.5.6 again once I have these backed up. I plan on trying the SMBIOS spoof first. If that doesn't work, I'll try restoring the old ACPIPS2Nub and Controller.