Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

That's an old Picture. If you patch the ISO with ppf1 , and then with ppf2, you will see a "ALC268 for Aspire One"

So, what you should at least select:

-Voodoo Kernel

-ALC268 for Aspire One

-Realtek R1000

-ACPI Batterymanager

-Enhanced SpeedStep 1.4.5

Have I missed something? I hope not...correct me If I forgot something... :rolleyes:

installed new voodoo kernel and everything running nicely.

Still, the remaining problems have caused me to stick with XP for now:

-lack of hibernation (when you start taking this thing places and can pop open and quickly shut the top and use it in seconds, the lack of sleep within osx becomes a big drag)

-fan control: the annoying fan is always on in OSX, whereas in XP with a1ctrl it's only on after the CPU hits 60C.

-HD clicking: my AAO suffers from that over-eager HD parking, and while a1ctrl fixes the problem, nothing I can find on OSX will eliminate the stupid clicking sound.

-trackpad: somehow the trackpad just doesn't feel as smooth in osx as it does in XP. maybe that's just because I'm used to the acceleration factor in XP. I have similar problems when I plug in a mouse, but they've been (mostly) solved with SteerMouse. With the trackpad, though, no luck. Still feels sluggish.

Besides those things, it's great that the AAO can run OSX so well, but since I bought this thing to cart around the city and use in various places including really quiet libraries, subways (standby is essential here), I find myself booting far more often into XP. I've never used OSX much before and really love it in terms of visuals and program installation, and programs like Adium, Quicksilver, and iPhoto are great, but until these pratical fundamentals are solved with the AAO I can't get around to enjoying the more elegant aspects of OSX because they just aren't worth the tradeoff.

I could not agree more

i have a problem when i update all is ok untill i try to update 10.5.5, i did all it explained in this tutorial, but it freeze at the begining, i forced stop after couple hours of waiting, tried again and again with new installed each time... doesnt bug the system but just doesnt work, tried the 10.5.5 combo update, same but get kernel panic, and have to reinstall, i also tried to open this file in textedit - /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

find there string /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this string /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext i found that in an other website .. still doesnt work ... try software update from apple update ... seems to work untill i have to restart ( didnt forget to ctrl + c in terminal ) and get a kernel panic again ... so is someone have other ideas ??? thx !

I have now pulled the AAO apart multiple times including for a case swap. I hated the blue it came in so I bought parts for a white one

~Stephen

I have the blue and want the white, were did you get the parts for the white one from?

Cheers

Benjamin

Ok so everything is working great on osx but no trackpad scrolling.. i hate sleep functions so it doesnt bother me as long as i use insomniax to keep computer on 100% of the time. now what is this talk about the voodoo kernal.. i am using vanilla kernal and everything seems great and fast. mouse pointer gets a little glitchy when using office for mac but other then that everything else is fine.

As for the Voodoo Kernal... is it much better then Vanilla? also can i install then be able to switch between the two? do i need to reinstall osx? and what are the down parts? i can update just fine with Vanilla.. will i not be able to with Voodoo?

Hey everyone!

happy to be posting this from my hackintosh nano :( I ended up using my good ol' Netgear WG111 V2 to get wireless...

downloaded this driver for it and it works hehe...

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

kinda annoying cus the stick is so damn bulky but then again... better than opening up this nice toy...

any news about the battery meter????

and also another question, this one is about updates...

how do we go about the updates that appear when you go on the internet... is it safe to install them or how can we get them?????

Hey everyone!

happy to be posting this from my hackintosh nano :( I ended up using my good ol' Netgear WG111 V2 to get wireless...

downloaded this driver for it and it works hehe...

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

kinda annoying cus the stick is so damn bulky but then again... better than opening up this nice toy...

any news about the battery meter????

how do we go about the updates that appear when you go on the internet... is it safe to install them or how can we get them?????

It is well worth opening up the computer very simple there are great video tutorials for it... i myself have opened mine up tons of times... if i were you id just switch out the internal wifi card with a diffrent laptop if you have one (thats what i did) if you dont they are cheap to buy saves you a usb slot also less chance for breaking.. there battery metter working Fallow the instructions in this thread and you should be all set... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114105

Harbot! Few questions for you! once again i appreciate all your help you have done for everyone!

So you posted a link to a thread that had the mirror fix... it goes to a fourm but not a specific thread/post so i dont know where to look. Also i think blue-k posted a link to the beta sd card reader.. did you get a chance to check on that at all i never did see a reply about it after you said you will test it so just wondering if i missed that some how

I have the blue and want the white, were did you get the parts for the white one from?

Cheers

Benjamin

I bought the parts on ebay, and got them pretty cheap, it was a very easy switch over, as soon as I get some pics I will post them, as I also added a little custom paint as well... :)

~Stephen

Update as well...

For anyone going to use the XXX distro that is recomended at the beginning of the forum, do not use the EnhancedSpeedStep. It bricked my software and had to use the Single user mode during startup to remove the kext.

Update #2

If you are going to use a USB dongle, look at the manufacturers website to see if they have drivers. Not all will work with OS X especially if they are Atheros based chips (unless the Manufacturer provides drivers), Broadcom will almost work by default, and typically seen as an airport card.

I bought the parts on ebay, and got them pretty cheap, it was a very easy switch over, as soon as I get some pics I will post them, as I also added a little custom paint as well... :P

~Stephen

I checked ebay but couldnt find them at all!!

Do you know the seller you used to make it easier to find.

I have no problems taking it all apart as i have upgraded my ram and wifi card.

Cheers

Benjamin

As for the Voodoo Kernal... is it much better then Vanilla? also can i install then be able to switch between the two? do i need to reinstall osx? and what are the down parts? i can update just fine with Vanilla.. will i not be able to with Voodoo?

Performance wise, its better than the vanilla kernel (based on my AA1 and benchmark: geekbench or xbench). You can change the cpus=1 at kernel flags to cpus=2. I even compared the performance benchmark of voodoo with dmos.kext againts AppleDecrypt.kext and got a better score with AppleDecrypt.kext ...

You'll notice a 25 + % or more speed improvement...It will boot faster, opening programs snappier and this final release...able to use Apple Software Updates...working side by side with vanilla kernel by just using the voodoo installer. I recommend to use it.

Performance wise, its better than the vanilla kernel (based on my AA1 and benchmark: geekbench or xbench). You can change the cpus=1 at kernel flags to cpus=2. I even compared the performance benchmark of voodoo with dmos.kext againts AppleDecrypt.kext and got a better score with AppleDecrypt.kext ...

You'll notice a 25 + % or more speed improvement...It will boot faster, opening programs snappier and this final release...able to use Apple Software Updates...working side by side with vanilla kernel by just using the voodoo installer. I recommend to use it.

So i did the voodoo installer and installed the voodoo kernel the computer indeed does peforme faster i was able to to apple software updates anyway i tried it again and this time i got and efi firmware update for the imac.. now i dont know if its such a good idea to install a firmware update for an imac on my AA1 if you have any experince about this please do share... one thing i noticed is that there is a lot more hard drive activity with the voodoo firmware atleast the hdd light blinks a lot more then it used to. do you know why that is?... The sleep function did not work. not that i care i hate sleep haha but from what i understand voodoo kernel supposed to fix sleep issue correct me if i am wrong.

Now how do i know if it worked and it is using two processors? i see only one core and one processor showing in the about this mac section.

thanks

Hey all,

I am wondering if this card will work in an AAO with OS X.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DW-1490-wireless-card-...93%3A1|294%3A50

Thanks.

This is a broadcom based chip and it should techincally work, however OS X (at least to my knowledge), has never supported 802.11a. Remeber Apple pioneered 802.11b, than A came out, and than G and now N. I think a few 3rd party vendors did drivers for 802.11 a but they are long past gone. I would look for either the dell 1390 or the broadcom based BCM94321MC. I just used that chip number to find the card on ebay, its about $20+ and its 802.11n based and works very well.

I checked ebay but couldnt find them at all!!

Do you know the seller you used to make it easier to find.

I have no problems taking it all apart as i have upgraded my ram and wifi card.

Cheers

Benjamin

I did a random search probably about 4 weeks ago and I found it. The seller was eehobbies but I do not believe he has anymore. It was kind of luck of the draw.

~Stephen

So i did the voodoo installer and installed the voodoo kernel the computer indeed does peforme faster i was able to to apple software updates anyway i tried it again and this time i got and efi firmware update for the imac.. now i dont know if its such a good idea to install a firmware update for an imac on my AA1

Now how do i know if it worked and it is using two processors? i see only one core and one processor showing in the about this mac section.

thanks

I to was quizzically shown the iMac EFI update, but have skipped it, I would not recommend doing this at all. And you need to make sure your Boot.plist is changed to cpus=2, and if you use your activity viewer in Utilities, show the floating window and you should see 2.

~Stephen

Hello Everyone

I'll make the intro short to spare you all the repetition:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was raised on Windows and was stuck using it for every job I've ever had, any school I've ever attended and every computer I've ever been able to afford. People like me have NO CLUE what they're missing, and man is the learning curve worth it. I've been enjoying my AA1 Hackintosh for only a week now and I'm a total convert.

*&^% Microsoft.

Seriously.

&^%$ Microsoft

That being said, I am computer literate, but not so computer savvy and this was by far the most ambitious project I've ever undertaken as far as getting my hands dirty under the hood of a computer is concerned. Which has left a few nagging questions that I would really appreciate some help with;

#1. When I partitioned my hard drive to install 10.5.2 (I went through all this before xxx) I split it pretty much down the middle. Now I'd like to go back and make my XP partition as small as possible. :hysterical: Originally I used Partition Magic 8 through XP which now seems a little hesitant to play nice with the other partitions.

- Is it safe to resize through XP anymore?

- Can I resize through OSX? (Software?)

- Is there any risk of &^%$ one or both partitions up?

- Is it possible/advisable to just rid myself of the dreaded MS all together?

The answers to the next couple of questions could fill volumes I'm sure, but I'm just looking for general concepts to wrap my head around.

#2. How do Kernels and Kexts differ from thier PC counterparts?

#3. Why did I need to 'repair permissions'?

#4. When will MS realize that more is not better?

#5. Aside from these great forums where's the best place to start educating myself on the in's and out's of the Mac OS? Not just tutorials for specific tasks, but a general understanding of how the OS functions. (As you can see from question #2, I don't even know what a kext is.)

Again, thank you all so much. This forum took an otherwise terrifying task and made it possible for me.

I can't believe I almost installed Vista on this thing...

Thanks.

about resizing i recomend you not to do that i f*ck*d up my instalation once doing that :) , but if you want to do it i would recomend you to reinstall all from the begining...

#2 kernels are like the hearts of the os more info in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computer_science) and a kext is an extension of the kernel they work like the drivers in windows, with the difference that if you screw up with one of the kexts the OS could have problems more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kext

#3 I'm not sure about this but i think that we have to repair permissions because we're moddifing the kernel, and in the begining of the OS this permissions need to be checked for the correct funtuanility of the OS

#4 Never...

#5 I had the same question but if you need something (knowledge, an advise, or anything) you have the best friend a man can get: Google XD so go and google it XD

Any help on this??

I have gotten so far with and I'm quite happy with my OS so any comments on this question I have asked b4 would be more than appreciated... I really don't want to F@*k it all up if if I accidentally hit "update" instead of "cancel" :) remember I have said B4 I have butter fingers hehehe....

cheers

Oh! and BTW if anyone is interested FCP works more than fine on this toy... of course rendering will be slow, and the screen resolution doesn't help much but then again... if the point is to learn how to use it, it'll do fine especially if you use LQ vids.... and of course it renders Way faster than AVID on a Windows machine

Hey all,

I am wondering if this card will work in an AAO with OS X.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DW-1490-wireless-card-...93%3A1|294%3A50

Thanks.

That should work since its a Broadcom based chipset.

Since you're going to change the card, might as well upgrade it to Wireless N Broadcom BCM94321 chipset (priced from $20-30 shipped). You'll get more wireless coverage and faster speed. Its great in picking up free wifi signals outdoors as well :)

It works on my AA1. See link below for a couple of Ebay vendors.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...dcom+wireless+n

Update:

More vendors/sellers

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...roadcom+802.11N

Hello Everyone,

:(

just like I had predicted.... I had to F*&@k up eventually.... hope this is not to hard to fix.... and that someone can help me lol...... the whole OS works still fine got everything going including the battery meter.... now here's the story:

when I was trying to install the battery meter I accidentally installed a kext called OpenHaltRestar.kext and now when I want to restart my AA1 on battery I get the grey rectangle with many languages that says to restart the comuter.

on AC Power it takes ages to shut down...

How can I get rid of this kext file??? like I had said b4 i'm not Mac literate at all.... all I do is read what's on these awesome posts and do what's on them hehehe

HELP PLEASE :help:

CHEERS

Hello Everyone,

:)

just like I had predicted.... I had to F*&@k up eventually.... hope this is not to hard to fix.... and that someone can help me lol...... the whole OS works still fine got everything going including the battery meter.... now here's the story:

when I was trying to install the battery meter I accidentally installed a kext called OpenHaltRestar.kext and now when I want to restart my AA1 on battery I get the grey rectangle with many languages that says to restart the comuter.

on AC Power it takes ages to shut down...

How can I get rid of this kext file??? like I had said b4 i'm not Mac literate at all.... all I do is read what's on these awesome posts and do what's on them hehehe

HELP PLEASE :)

CHEERS

When you boot up and you see the Darwin loading screen hit any key to get the prompt. Type in "-s" without quotes to boot in single user mode. When you get to the root prompt, enter in "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/OpenHaltRestar.kext" without quotes. And be sure you are typing the .kext correctly spelled and with proper capitalization of the correct letters, otherwise nothing will happen. And BE CAREFUL using this command rm -rf, it can remove entire directories.

~Stephen

When you boot up and you see the Darwin loading screen hit any key to get the prompt. Type in "-s" without quotes to boot in single user mode. When you get to the root prompt, enter in "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/OpenHaltRestar.kext" without quotes. And be sure you are typing the .kext correctly spelled and with proper capitalization of the correct letters, otherwise nothing will happen. And BE CAREFUL using this command rm -rf, it can remove entire directories.

~Stephen

Thank you! I wish I knew how to use this OS as much as I know how to use DOS... hehe but hey that's the point of doing what we do here lol

;)