AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

AppleVIAATA.kext don` t load on Tiger 10.4.11.

Have u tried the latest AppleVIAATA from googlecode? There is a version for 10.4.8, maybe this might work.

Do u have any screenshot? (boot with -v debug=0x100). any dump?

Thx slashack ,

for your jmicron driver. I also had problems with freezes at fresh ideneb 1.3 at high cpu last & 4gb memory refresh & copying from/to ide-drives - so atm i test your 0.6 release and it runs :-) I do my stress-test with graphicconverter and the incl. browser on my huge photo-directory. At high load and full memory usage i close the app and normaly it freeze the computer - but now it runs :-)

great work

Slashack, just have one question for you.

Your JMicronATA.kext seems not working on my JM360 eSATA drive... Is there any possibility to have it working...

Try AppleVIAATA.kext, or the version of JMicronATA.kext that has support for JMB360. I recommend AppleVIAATA.kext, as it's the kext i need and i will make it work no matter what it takes. (In case of any update).

To use it, just add your devid to the Info.plist in AppleVIAATA.kext (if it's not there)

Try AppleVIAATA.kext, or the version of JMicronATA.kext that has support for JMB360. I recommend AppleVIAATA.kext, as it's the kext i need and i will make it work no matter what it takes. (In case of any update).

To use it, just add your devid to the Info.plist in AppleVIAATA.kext (if it's not there)

One more question, can AppleVIAATA.kext support my nforce ATA as well, if so, I can just add my nforce SATA and Jmicron eSATA Dev/Ven id in it.

One more question, can AppleVIAATA.kext support my nforce ATA as well, if so, I can just add my nforce SATA and Jmicron eSATA Dev/Ven id in it.

I dont think so, unless u want to give it a try, but i'm pretty sure it wont work. I dont' remeber if AppleVIAATA is like JMicronATA which has the devid harcoded, not only in the Info.plist

The command is kextstat. Try with that. if not, try with a dump (ioreg -l > dump.txt). With a dump we can find why it's not working.

Hi slashack !

After some test and crashes i`m get JMicronATA.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext worked on my 10.5.5 update. I`m don`t write anything because i don`t have good camera for screenshoots of "kernel panic" debug messages.

What i`m do.

1. I`m install 10.5.5 update and install your JMicronATA.kext.

kextstat show me loaded JMicronATA.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext. Of course i`m start Ramber and system hang on first seconds.

2. I`m remove AppleVIAATA.kext - system can`t boot anymore. (crasy result. I`m don`t have any VIA chipsets on P5B - what happen, i`m can`t understand..)

3. I`m open "native" AppleVIAATA.kext and (10.5.2) JMicronATA.kext and compare Info.plist`s with yours kext`s. I`m add some strings from "native" AppleVIAATA.kext to your. And ADD NEW string from JMicronATA.kext - install and reboot.

(nice vivisection ? :( )

Rember work right now.. Now hang`s. But, of course, memory test is not end. I need to waiting. I`m hope, all be good. Because early tests crashes just after few seconds after starting memory test.

If you have interest, what changes i do, i`m attach this kexts (i make some changes in Info.plist`s)

(i`m sit now and wait test results.. I think, all be good..)

AppleVIAATA.kext.zip

JMicronATA.kext.zip

Hi slashack !

All test will passed ok. No hang anymore. Big thanks you :)

Look to my kext`s files please. I do some changes (just some values in Info.plist`s), and may be a good idea made this changes permanently - in your kext`s. (or may be this actual for my P5B only?)

Big thanks you for your work.

Thanks a lot for posting this Jmicron kext. This fixed one of the last few nagging issues I was having with my new rig. It's a Gigabyte G33M-S2L board. Everything worked great with ideneb 1.3, but my machine would lock up whenever I was ripping a DVD in Parallels in Decrypter, and watching a movie or doing something else. I was so close to just buying a ide to usb adapter, but this totally fixed my problem. Now if I can just get shutdown to work.

I seem to be having a problem with AppleNForceATA because I get a Kernel Panic when I run Vuze or do anything with large files. Here is the link to my specs and full problem (from another thread), but I only have 2 gigs in and have put my DevID into the NForceATA kext but still am seeing crashes.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st&p=968403

Doesn't really make sence. I have used Marvin's on everything, taken out some RAM, replaced kexts from 10.5.3 but the KP won't go away when I load up Vuze and it starts to download a 6gb torrent. Again, I'm on NForce4 Chipset, IDE dvd burner and have my DevIDs in the AppleNForceATA.kext.

Any ideas? Or should I just go back to 10.5.3

I seem to be having a problem with AppleNForceATA because I get a Kernel Panic when I run Vuze or do anything with large files. Here is the link to my specs and full problem (from another thread), but I only have 2 gigs in and have put my DevID into the NForceATA kext but still am seeing crashes.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st&p=968403

Doesn't really make sence. I have used Marvin's on everything, taken out some RAM, replaced kexts from 10.5.3 but the KP won't go away when I load up Vuze and it starts to download a 6gb torrent. Again, I'm on NForce4 Chipset, IDE dvd burner and have my DevIDs in the AppleNForceATA.kext.

Any ideas? Or should I just go back to 10.5.3

Can u attach a photo of your screen with the KP (boot with -v debug=0x100). this can tell me exactly where the problem is.

post-113906-1226899926_thumb.jpg

This is from earlier (I'm transferring a file right now, so I don't want to start up Vuze). The NVResman doesn't show anymore, but the bottom stuff is all the same. I haven't had a crash yet compressing my Music folder like I did last time I installed and it appears to be transferring to my external drive without a problem. Vuze still crashes the system though.

EDIT: If you need to see the entire screen for the panic, let me know and I'll run Vuze to kill the system after this file finishes transferring.

post-113906-1226899926_thumb.jpg

This is from earlier (I'm transferring a file right now, so I don't want to start up Vuze). The NVResman doesn't show anymore, but the bottom stuff is all the same. I haven't had a crash yet compressing my Music folder like I did last time I installed and it appears to be transferring to my external drive without a problem. Vuze still crashes the system though.

EDIT: If you need to see the entire screen for the panic, let me know and I'll run Vuze to kill the system after this file finishes transferring.

Yes, I need the full screen. The first line shows the function or method where it fails and the reason. The stack trace shows where.

post-113906-1226906353_thumb.jpg

It's weird; I think it says something with the CPU, but it's ran fine on previous distru's and doesn't crash any other time.

I also just completed compressing 26 gigs of music into a file and then transferred it to an external drive with no error so many it's not due to large files.

post-113906-1226906353_thumb.jpg

It's weird; I think it says something with the CPU, but it's ran fine on previous distru's and doesn't crash any other time.

I also just completed compressing 26 gigs of music into a file and then transferred it to an external drive with no error so many it's not due to large files.

Sorry, but u're having troubles with your kernel. AppleNForceATA appears there because when u work with large files and interrupts, this bug appears as a KP for u. Try switching kernel.

I just installed the jmicron 0.6 kext from slashack.

Am using an asus p5b-vm board with 2x2 Gb ram sticks. It is stable but only works if i set the sata controller to basic in the bios and not ahci.

Is there a crucial difference in performance between ahci and the basic sata settings aside from the hot plug functionality?

If you set the controller to ahci, kernel panic ensues at boot. Am happy with the performance of my system as of the moment though, so thanks for this development.

Props to all of you from the Philippines!

UPDATE:

Since installing the kext, i have lost esata functionality due to no ahci. it turns out esata on this motherboard is controlled via the jmicron 363 driver through the ide bus. (or through the pciex to ide to esata). I wonder if anyone has any fix for this at the moment?

I did, just use info.plist from the original JMICRONATA.kext from Apple (make sure you have your product id inserted to it) and it will work. For some reason the latest info.plist panics.

It depends on the other kexts versions. I cannot post a plist file for each version of leopard hanging arround, it also depends on which other fixes u have tried before this one. So, if someone cannot find a suitable plist, i will help.

JMicron working here with GA-EP35-DS3. I have two hard disks on the ICH9 SATA ports, one hard disk on the JMicron SATA ports, one ATA DVD-ROM on the JMicron ATA port and 4GB of memory. Running Rember, cpuburn, and copying from DVD and JMicron SATA to ICH9 SATA without a crash so far.

Many thanks slashhack!

JMicron working here with GA-EP35-DS3. I have two hard disks on the ICH9 SATA ports, one hard disk on the JMicron SATA ports, one ATA DVD-ROM on the JMicron ATA port and 4GB of memory. Running Rember, cpuburn, and copying from DVD and JMicron SATA to ICH9 SATA without a crash so far.

Many thanks slashhack!

Only one H please: slashack

:D

I did, just use info.plist from the original JMICRONATA.kext from Apple (make sure you have your product id inserted to it) and it will work. For some reason the latest info.plist panics.

Many thanks, will try this.

UPDATE: After trying cyclonefr's above solution, slashack's fix now works without glitches. Thank you very much to both of you!

hi slashack,

first of all: cool work !

out there there are also many users having a similar problem with the sil3132 driver. freezes and panics with 4GB. it seems silicon image unfortunately doesn´t make any efforts to work on a 64bit compatible driver.

what´s your opinion? is there any way to get the source code to work on that? or any chance to correct it without the code?

I´m pretty sure that this would be a damn hard challenge but worth to get the ball rolling :thumbsup_anim:

hi slashack,

first of all: cool work !

out there there are also many users having a similar problem with the sil3132 driver. freezes and panics with 4GB. it seems silicon image unfortunately doesn´t make any efforts to work on a 64bit compatible driver.

what´s your opinion? is there any way to get the source code to work on that? or any chance to correct it without the code?

I´m pretty sure that this would be a damn hard challenge but worth to get the ball rolling ;)

The only thing I could do is to fix the source code. So if u find it, i´ll fix it. I have few time.