[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

With me it doesn't work!!! :)

if I hit 81, I see the second HDD, named "Time Machine", if I hit 82, I see the third HDD, named "Archive".

80 is the same HDD as my Macintosh installation, so if I hit 80, I directly boot MAC OS X. :(

How come for me it is different?

(btw I had already tried this method many days ago, with no success).

When I hit Escape and then type 81 for my second HDD, I see 2 entries:

Windows NTFS

_____________ (blank)

I think the blank one could be due to me playing around with chain0, etc.

I choose the Windows NTFS one and it refreshes the Darwin Bootloader screen and just shows a blinking cursor and hangs there. No windows :)

Ideas?

With me it doesn't work!!! :)

if I hit 81, I see the second HDD, named "Time Machine", if I hit 82, I see the third HDD, named "Archive".

80 is the same HDD as my Macintosh installation, so if I hit 80, I directly boot MAC OS X. :)

How come for me it is different?

(btw I had already tried this method many days ago, with no success).

sorry guys for replying just now. it's 6:30am here right now so that means the past few hours were my sleeping time. :)

B612: my bootloader is not the munky-way but perhaps u might have just activated "Quiet Boot" in the Boot.plist?

btw, i do have have retail leopard & winxp in 2 separate hdd(s). my real goal too is to be able to install winxp in the same gpt disk w/ retail leopard. most probably there's someone out there who can (clearly) explain the "gptsync"?

my dual-boot setup is:

1st hdd (mbr) > 1st partition="MacLoader"

> 2nd partition=WinXP Install

2nd hdd (gpt) > partitioned for the Retail Leopard Install

partition for "MacLoader" is the one active & if my set "Timeout" is not interrupted, system boots from "MacLoader" w/c then [boots] the partition in 2nd hdd where retail leopard is installed.

if "Timeout" is interrupted, i just select the 2nd partition (Windows NTFS) then system boots winxp. :P

for sure, there'd be a better way for this purpose. :)

[EDIT] i can also do dual-boot using only 1 hdd. should be mbr though & yeah, leopard is still retail/vanilla. :)

B612: edit the com.apple.Boot.plist on your EFI partition (if u dont have one, put one on there!) and set a timeout value. that way u should see the partitions on ur main disk at the bootloader.

MACinized: im not sure i really understand your/roisoft's method. the mkext u place on the booter partition - is that the system-generated mkext from /System/Library? if so, how does it ever get updated on ur booter partition?

sorry guys for replying just now. it's 6:30am here right now so that means the past few hours were my sleeping time. :)

my bootloader is the not the munky-way but perhaps u might have just activated "Quiet Boot" in the Boot.plist?

btw, i do have have retail leopard & winxp in 2 separate hdd(s). my real goal too is to be able to install winxp in the same gpt disk w/ retail leopard. most probably there's someone out there who can (clearly) explain the "gptsync"?

my dual-boot setup is:

1st hdd (mbr) > 1st partition="MacLoader"

> 2nd partition=WinXP Install

2nd hdd (gpt)  > partitioned for the Retail Leopard Install

partition for "MacLoader" is the one active & if my set "Timeout" is not interrupted, system boots from "MacLoader" w/c then [boots] the partition in 2nd hdd where retail leopard is installed.

if "Timeout" is interrupted, i just scroll down to the 2nd partition (Windows NTFS) then system boots winxp. :)

for sure, there'd be a better way for this purpose. :)

I am no genius in the mac world but I achieved a very simple dual boot with XP and hackintosh after some google searching.

Can't remember exactly how but do remember it can be done either on different drives (my setup) or one drive with different partitions.

A simple edit of the XP boot config file (boot.ini) and copying a chain loader file to XP disk/partition.

I think google something like "chain dual boot leopard xp" should find it.

I am real noob to mac scene so maybe I miss the point or the EFI partition is why you all concerned with dual booting but was quite simple for me.

Actually not sure how this munky way will affect my dual boot setup which is the only reason I have not yet tried it and why I am waiting for the whole Chameleon, Voodoo 9.5, Leopard Retail way to be GUI/Wizard driven.

Anyway, hope this was of some help for someone....

Edit: Here found something very similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYMonfAniU

Yes, me too I can't understand gptsync thing.

B612: edit the com.apple.Boot.plist on your EFI partition (if u dont have one, put one on there!) and set a timeout value. that way u should see the partitions on ur main disk at the bootloader.

MACinized: im not sure i really understand your/roisoft's method. the mkext u place on the booter partition - is that the system-generated mkext from /System/Library? if so, how does it ever get updated on ur booter partition?

that's right munky. it's the one from retail leopard install's /System/Library. would only be updating it (together w/ the vanilla kernel) after the 10.6.6 update.

btw, it's not my method. just posted a guide on me using it. :)

Yes, me too I can't understand gptsync thing.

Not trying to be difficult but rather to learn.

Can you please elaborate on why you want to use gptsync? I am using the chain method on two different drives, really simple and working (see my earlier post)

Is it because of the EFI partition?

Edit: I found the way I used to make it work, works for two or single disk systems

http://maconpc.distinctlyjordan.com/2008/0...xp-and-leopard/

Not trying to be difficult but rather to learn.

Can you please elaborate on why you want to use gptsync? I am using the chain method on two different drives, really simple and working (see my earlier post)

Is it because of the EFI partition?

Edit: I found the way I used to make it work, works for two or single disk systems

http://maconpc.distinctlyjordan.com/2008/0...xp-and-leopard/

is your leopard the retail/vanilla one (not kalyway, iatkos, jas, etc.)?

No, munky, that doesn't work.

I'll be clearer. Yes, I had quiet boot, but of course I pressed F8 to see the partitions, and then I pressed Esc to see the Hard Disks' choice. In that case

1) by entering 80 I got: hd(0,2) Macintosh HD

2) by entering 81 I got: Time Machine HD

3) by entering 82 I got: Archive HD.

Then, after receiving your message, I edited again my com.apple.boot.plist (of course the one on my EFI partition, in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration), I changed Quiet Boot: yes in Timeout 1 and I tried again, but AGAIN I've got the same results.

WHY!?!?!? Am I the only one who is not able to make it work?!? Should I try to reinstall XP for it to be seen by my bootloader??

@wilcok

The method you linked to is only referred to MBR partition schemes, not GUID.

Hello, been following this thread since yesterday and finally just finished reading the whole thing.

I'm on an EEE PC 1000H.

Intel Atom 1.6Ghz

Intel GMA950 graphics

2GB 533Mhz DDR2 RAM

I currently run a dual boot iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 and Windows XP SP3 on my 320GB HDD. I decided I'd try this method on my spare 160GB HDD.

I partitioned it to GPT and created 3 partitions: a 5GB FAT32 (soon to be NTFS once I get around to installing Windows XP), a 67GB FAT32 (for shared storage between Windows and Mac OS X), and a 77GB HFS+ partition.

Since the EEE PC doesn't have a DVD drive, I decided I was going to try to go the USB route. I went out and bought an 8GB flash drive. I created 2 partitions on the drive: the first being a small 300MB partition for loading the Boot-132 bootloader using Stickpin's method. The second partition would be the actual installation. I grabbed my Retail Leopard DVD and used Carbon Copy Cloner to do a block level clone of the DVD onto my USB drive. Fell asleep. 4 hours later, the cloning process was complete.

I installed OS X on the HFS+ partition this morning and got an installation error at the end complaining about the partition not set to be the startup disk. I ignored that, since I was going to be booting from the bootloader anyway.

After booting into OS X, I got stuck in the setup loop, which I fixed by going into single user mode and creating the .AppleSetupDone file and setting a root password. Then I followed munky's instructions on getting the EFI partition to boot. Success!

I'm now currently trying to figure out how to get the kexts loaded. The only kext that seemed to have loaded was the ACPI stuff. I'm not really sure how the kext stuff works.

As for dual booting, I haven't installed Windows yet, but can someone with a windows partition installed do the experiment for me and see if the application "Flipside" works? I have no clue if it relies on actual EFI or just temporarily making the windows partion active. Make sure your Windows partition has a name and is only one word.

http://projectappletree.org/applications/F...e/Flipside.html

In fact, while I wait for someone to try Flipside, I'll install Windows on the other partition.

Thanks to munky and the team behind him!

Munky,

Please consider the following change for "update.sh":

to: chmod -R go-w

The reason for the change is because directories should still be executable after the operation, which numerically would be 755, but it would also change the plists and such to executable as well with that. go-w removes write privileges from "group" and "others", while allowing directories to keep the execute bit and leaving it off the other files.

Another approach is to iterate through the files and test for whether they're a folder or not, then apply the correct permissions (755 vs 644). Whatever floats the boat. =)

Cheers,

inc

Quick issue...

And it's with Audio...I've got ALC888 running great with EFI strings and via Tauraga Patcher. but now after updating bootloaders, my sound will occasionally be cut off.

For example...adding something to the trash, the sound is there, but it cuts off early.

Or if I'm listening to iTunes and then I delete something, the sound on iTunes distorts for a second, then goes back to normal. I've tried Booting with AppleHDA in EFI and not in EFI. Can't figure out what's going on.

Anyone else have the same issue?

B612: you havent said where your windows install is actually located. is it on the same hdd as the main Leopard install? or what?

i'll second munky's question. if it's on the same hdd w/ your leopard (w/c is gpt), then it must be vista, right? or you've been successfull in installing winxp on a gpt?

if your windows os is on your leopard gpt disk, the bootloader won't really see it (the windows ntfs or fat partition). i don't know why but i had the same issue before.

Ok, figured it out...it's a problem that was previously fixed with Chameleon 1.0.11 with 45nm chips and correctly reporting FSB. Because now I'm getting higher than anticipated geekbench scores, my audio stutters, and I'm losing time on my clock....

Any way of incorporating the fix Chameleon previously had?

I can't seem to get the timeout or Quiet Boot to work properly (automatically boot OS X). It always drops to the select partition menu, even though I specified my disk via UUID in the boot plist. Right as it times out it flashes something quick then goes to the select menu.

Things of note: Mac OS X is on the 3rd partition, as opposed to the usual 2nd partition (i.e. /dev/diskXs3 as opposed to 2).

I can't seem to get the timeout or Quiet Boot to work properly (automatically boot OS X). It always drops to the select partition menu, even though I specified my disk via UUID in the boot plist. Right as it times out it flashes something quick then goes to the select menu.

Things of note: Mac OS X is on the 3rd partition, as opposed to the usual 2nd partition (i.e. /dev/diskXs3 as opposed to 2).

What I have found - when it goes right back to the partition list - is that it can't locate the kernel. Normally caused by my typing the name wrong ;)

btw, I have OS X on partitions 2 & 3 on my internal drive and I can boot either one without problem.

I use this booting method for a couple of days now and did several re-installs to find the most vanilla setup for my machine. I installed OS X from 10.5 retail CD after which I installed this booting method including .mkext containing:

- AppleSMBIOS.kext (version 27)

- dsmos.kext

- IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

- IONetworkingFamily.kext (Time Machine Fix)

So far so good. After updating to 10.5.5 my rig still works flawlessly, but in System Profiler I can't see any info under hardware. It keeps telling me that something went wrong while gathering all the information. I guess it has something to do with AppleSMBIOS.kext. So I want to upgrade it to AppleSMBIOS (version 28)

The problem:

When I'm trying to mount my EFI partition again it gives my an error, I'm pretty sure I typed everything right.

awenger:~ awenger$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# 
bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *153.4 Gi   disk0
  1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk0s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS KnetterMac              153.1 Gi   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *465.8 Gi   disk1
  1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk1s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS Backup                  465.4 Gi   disk1s2
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: Invalid argument
bash-3.2# 

Anyone knows what is wrong?

B612: you havent said where your windows install is actually located. is it on the same hdd as the main Leopard install? or what?

Hi, munky. Sorry, I was sleeping. :huh:

My Windows HD is on the 3rd partition of the same HDD as Leopard.

I have 3 HDDs:

1) partition 1 EFI

partition 2 Macintosh HD

partition 3 Windows HD (NTFS)

2) Time Machine

3) Archive.

The HDD of Leopard and XP is partitioned as GUID. Nevertheless, before having this clean install, I used to recognize both OSs with Chameleon bootloader. (this also answers to MACinized)

Hi, munky. Sorry, I was sleeping. :D

My Windows HD is on the 3rd partition of the same HDD as Leopard.

I have 3 HDDs:

1) partition 1 EFI

partition 2 Macintosh HD

partition 3 Windows HD (NTFS)

2) Time Machine

3) Archive.

The HDD of Leopard and XP is partitioned as GUID. Nevertheless, before having this clean install, I used to recognize both OSs with Chameleon bootloader. (this also answers to MACinized)

not sure if it's only w/ this method but in my previous setup, bootloader can't see (display) my 2 partitions (fat32 for boot-132-syslinux & ntfs for vista install) in a gpt hdd. thus, if i enter "80" as the boot device, all i see is the hfs+ partition for my leopard install.

not sure if it's only w/ this method but in my previous setup, bootloader can't see (display) my 2 partitions (fat32 for boot-132-syslinux & ntfs for vista install) in a gpt hdd. thus, if i enter "80" as the boot device, all i see is the hfs+ partition for my leopard install.

I don't understand what you mean... sorry

Now what bootloader are you using? Aren't you using munky's 3rd version of efi?

Aren't you using GUID partition table?

Of course if I had Win and MAC OS in two different HDDs, I would see both of them very easily, as I now see Time Machine and Archive HDDs. In fact Archive HDD is just data, doesn't contain any OSs, but I can still select it as a boot device. The problem is having MAC and Win on the same HDD.

But with the Chamaleon bootloader I could boot both of them anyway (I was seeing Windows XP as "Foreign OS").

I don't understand what you mean... sorry

Now what bootloader are you using? Aren't you using munky's 3rd version of efi?

Aren't you using GUID partition table?

Of course if I had Win and MAC OS in two different HDDs, I would see both of them very easily, as I now see Time Machine and Archive HDDs. In fact Archive HDD is just data, doesn't contain any OSs, but I can still select it as a boot device. The problem is having MAC and Win on the same HDD.

But with the Chamaleon bootloader I could boot both of them anyway (I was seeing Windows XP as "Foreign OS").

fat32 or ntfs partitions in a gpt disk are not displayed in the bootloader. don't know why.

i'm not using munky-way-bootloader at the moment. will wait 'till there's dual(multi)-booting support. :D

didn't have any problem dual-booting retail leopard & winxp both installed in a hdd w/ mbr partition table.

i've described in post #303 my present dual-booting setup.

I have my XP install on a separate IDE drive (OSX is on SATA)....when i choose 81 I can see the win partition, and I select it to boot it - but the machine just reboots at this point...

any ideas?

i guess your sata is set to ahci. if it is, u have to set it 1st to ide to boot winxp then install [updates] to make your winxp ahci-compatible. after that, u can set your sata back to ahci.