[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Probably a n00b question, but here goes: How do you set the bootloader to automaticaly boot without the need to hit Enter at the Darwin Boot prompt?

you'll need to add this 2 lines to your com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Should look like this after

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

you'll need to add this 2 lines to your com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Thanks 3D mn. Worked perfectly. Now I just need to get multi-disk booting working so I don't have to keep tweaking my BIOS to switch OSes.

I have 2 SATA drives, disk1 (GUID/EFI Mac) and disk0 (MBR WinXP). I've tried to chain0 thru XP's MBR with no luck. Anyone else pulled this off?

Probably a n00b question, but here goes: How do you set the bootloader to automaticaly boot without the need to hit Enter at the Darwin Boot prompt?

or you can add to the Boot.plist something like this

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

or some value you want in the string - this gives you a chance to mash the keyboard and add in boot commands should you need to. And with the value 2 the booter hardly sits there for any time at all....boots straight through.

BTW how do you use hd(0,2) you add it to com.apple.boot.plist in kernel flags or what ?

in com.apple.boot.plist I have the boot-uuid. I use hd(0,2) when I want to boot with different flags, because I don't want to type the VERY long uuid code.

so I do something like:

bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.whatever -f -v hd(0,2)

of course at the moment I don't need -f nor -v, because my boot is perfect and I don't need to check anything nor to update the kexts.

(sorry for replying so late, I was away for awhile)

ok i couldnt resist... about to build a version which will (hopefully) allow com.apple.Boot.plist on the EFI partition.

stay tuned..

betin : see post 1 for how to mount efi. use update.sh to rebuild kextcache.

Thanks munky works fine.

Just a suggestion in your script update.sh

set the line:

chmod -R 644 /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

to

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extensions

That permits in finder to open the directory and see what inside otherwise you must use terminal.

i was going to suggest it also so we can just drag n drop kext though after mounting it won't appear on Finder unless you do a open /Volumes/EFI or killall Finder on terminal.

nevertheless great job.

You don't need to kill Finder. You can just open your Macintosh HD (root), then Alt+Shift+G, then you type Volumes and you'll see the EFI folder. :D

Hi Munky and everybody!

First of all i wanted to thank you for your great effort, this stuff is amazing.

Now my problem is the following: if i put all the kext in the /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions everything is cool, If i use the script to make the mkext I lose the keyboard and mouse. (Everything else appear to load properly)

From what i understand (and that is really little) the problem lies on ApplePS2Controller.

Is it because this Kext has plugins in it?

I really appreciate any help.

By the way I have an XPS M1530 and everything works

Did someone get AppleHDA.kext loaded correctly and working from EFI partition?

Everything i tried failed and i was unable to get:

73 2 0x2e2e5000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (1.2.9a4) <6 5 4 2>

74 0 0x2e2eb000 0x7000 0x6000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (1.2.4a21) <73 17 6 5 4 2>

80 0 0x3532c000 0x4b000 0x4a000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (1.2.4a21) <73 71 6 5 4 2>

these 3 kexts at the same time loaded.

Exactly what a few of us need to know!

from what I've seen, MACinized has Windows on another HDD, not on the same. That's why he can boot like that.

if you put MAC and WIN in the same HDD, you just can't.

The only way you have to boot on the other OS is making that partition active, i.e.

from MAC OS X

diskutil info / | grep Identifier
fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
f 3
w
q

from Windows

run---> diskutil

list disk
select disk X
list partition
select partition 1
active
exit

This is the only thing that works for sure, guaranteed.

B612:

From the video I saw MACinized installed Leopard and XP on the same HDD because the 3 partition are on the same bootloader (Darwin bootloader can boot only partition form one HDD at time).

and from his guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125739 he modified his Retail DVD so that he can install on MBR and after installing XP and Leopard on the same HDD then it's easy to use Darwin bootloader and select your OS partition.

What I want tot do is to install Windows on the same HDD with Leopard on GUID HDD ^_^ .

Ok DB1, MACinized: guys, good news. v3 now supports com.apple.Boot.plist on the EFI partition. It can reside in:

Munky your the man - thanks very much for v3 it works great - power on to working 25 seconds!

B612:

From the video I saw MACinized installed Leopard and XP on the same HDD because the 3 partition are on the same bootloader (Darwin bootloader can boot only partition form one HDD at time).

and from his guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125739 he modified his Retail DVD so that he can install on MBR and after installing XP and Leopard on the same HDD then it's easy to use Darwin bootloader and select your OS partition.

What I want tot do is to install Windows on the same HDD with Leopard on GUID HDD :) .

Before having this *Vanilla* installation, I used to have MAC and PC on the same GUID HDD with dual boot Darwin, which was seeing XP as "foreign os". I think it depended on the different bootloader/EFI I was using.

guys, im madcrazybusy with work stuff just now, but once its died down i plan to revisit some of these issues.

i want to look into porting all of this functionality to Chameleon, so we can standardise on one bootloader. currently the sources are based on dfe's boot-132_dfe-r146.

i think chameleon has better support for dual-booting type scenarios. i dunno, i'll have to research it :)

tbh, i dont even have windows on my PC, which is why this bootloader is good enough for me so far.

on the subject of audio from Extra partition... XyZ (aka TheKing) and others are making good progress using kexts from Snow Leopard which dont appear to need binary patching.

EDIT: er.. just a thought.... this is based on dfe, right? so at the darwin prompt, hit esc and type in a different device number, like say 81 for 2nd hard disk. not sure what will happen tbh... can someone try this out? :)

guys, im madcrazybusy with work stuff just now, but once its died down i plan to revisit some of these issues.

i want to look into porting all of this functionality to Chameleon, so we can standardise on one bootloader. currently the sources are based on dfe's boot-132_dfe-r146.

i think chameleon has better support for dual-booting type scenarios. i dunno, i'll have to research it ;)

tbh, i dont even have windows on my PC, which is why this bootloader is good enough for me so far.

on the subject of audio from Extra partition... XyZ (aka TheKing) and others are making good progress using kexts from Snow Leopard which dont appear to need binary patching.

EDIT: er.. just a thought.... this is based on dfe, right? so at the darwin prompt, hit esc and type in a different device number, like say 81 for 2nd hard disk. not sure what will happen tbh... can someone try this out? :)

I was running openSUSE 11.0 from one of my external USB drives when I saw your request. So, I figured, why not.

I have been using a boot loader on a floppy to reach my USB systems because my system BIOS won't boot from anything but internal drives. I removed the floppy and restarted the system.

At the darwin prompt for my main OS X partition I hit "Esc" and it showed the prompt for a drive number. Didn't know you could do that :D Since the main drive is 80, I entered 81 and was presented with a message about drive (1,1) Foreign OS Linux. I hit enter and here I am - back in openSUSE :)

Outstanding! I won't even need my floppy anymore - unless I trash my internal system.

Thanks again Munky!