Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

OK understand. Probably due to the SMC fan chip not being present which is needed for the rela Leopard on Leopard via Fusion.

It is becoming clearer :) thx.

Can this need be bypassed?

Ok, I see, using your vmdonk.iso will not work at all with vmware fusion for me, as it states that it is not Leopard Server and exits.

You don't mention VMware Fusion I know, but I naively assumed it would work ;)

It is becoming clearer :D thx.

Can this need be bypassed?

Ok, I see, using your vmdonk.iso will not work at all with vmware fusion for me, as it states that it is not Leopard Server and exits.

You don't mention VMware Fusion I know, but I naively assumed it would work :)

It will work but you will have to rename /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso to something else. Then when you start it up there is an error message about the tools CD but just ignore it and off you go! There may be a couple of tweaks to the VMX file which I am working on plus a Fusion specific vmdonk.iso where we can take out dsmos.kext. I'll try and get on that tomorrow.

Hey Donk... do you know of any alternative ways of getting VMware Workstation 6.5? The VMware website seems screwed up. It's not letting me log in to download the beta.

Sorry no. The web site seems to be rejecting logins.

It will work but you will have to rename /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso to something else. Then when you start it up there is an error message about the tools CD but just ignore it and off you go! There may be a couple of tweaks to the VMX file which I am working on plus a Fusion specific vmdonk.iso where we can take out dsmos.kext. I'll try and get on that tomorrow.

Thanks Donk

Gave it a try and renamed darwin.iso, got the error msg x4 about no tools being available. Booted your iso, but still get the blue screen and spinning ball.

Presumably that is because I need your tweaked vmdonk.iso?

Just wanted to chime in that I was able to successfully and easily install Leopard retail ISO on my HP 6910p laptop (Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5ghz) using Donk's bootloader and instructions. It works great now (except for sound as he documented). It is pretty smooth. I was able to apply all system updates via Apple Software Update without complication. Sooo nice.

I had to turn on VT extensions in the BIOS (disabled by default).

Thanks to Donk so much for his hard work getting this going.

Thanks Donk

Gave it a try and renamed darwin.iso, got the error msg x4 about no tools being available. Booted your iso, but still get the blue screen and spinning ball.

Presumably that is because I need your tweaked vmdonk.iso?

The tweaked iso will only work for Fusion on a real Mac. For your issue what is the machine you are running on? Also are there any errors reported if you use -v boot flag.

Hey Donk... do you know of any alternative ways of getting VMware Workstation 6.5? The VMware website seems screwed up. It's not letting me log in to download the beta.

Sorry no. The web site seems to be rejecting logins.

You can do a google on "VMware Workstation 6.5 download" There's a site listed there that provides a download. Note, you'll still need a valid VMware Workstation 6 key, of course.

I'm installing now. Followed the instructions and everything seems to be working just fine. The only problem is that the installation process is going painfully slow. It says it has over 7 hours remaining in the installation. Did it go this slow for anyone else? I'm installing on a Dell Latitude D630 2.0Ghz Core2Duo with 2GB ram.

Also.... Donk, the one thing that confused me was the bit about copying vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe. I kinda skipped that step since I wasn't sure exactly what you were talking about.

Edit: Okay, I was just being a little ignorant. I see that VMWare installs both vmware-vmx.exe and vmware-vmx-debug.exe. By copying vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe I'm forcing VMware to use the non-debug version of the executable?

I'm installing now. Followed the instructions and everything seems to be working just fine. The only problem is that the installation process is going painfully slow. It says it has over 7 hours remaining in the installation. Did it go this slow for anyone else? I'm installing on a Dell Latitude D630 2.0Ghz Core2Duo with 2GB ram.

Also.... Donk, the one thing that confused me was the bit about copying vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe. I kinda skipped that step since I wasn't sure exactly what you were talking about.

Edit: Okay, I was just being a little ignorant. I see that VMWare installs both vmware-vmx.exe and vmware-vmx-debug.exe. By copying vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe I'm forcing VMware to use the non-debug version of the executable?

The copying of the vmware exes is exactly right.

My installation took about 30 minutes. One really obvious issue may be the amount of memory I have assigned to the template. I have 4GB in my Dell D620 and set the virtual machine to 2GB. Your system may be paging as the virtual machine memory is equal to the physical RAM on the host. Try reducing it to say 1GB in virtual machine options.

The copying of the vmware exes is exactly right.

My installation took about 30 minutes. One really obvious issue may be the amount of memory I have assigned to the template. I have 4GB in my Dell D620 and set the virtual machine to 2GB. Your system may be paging as the virtual machine memory is equal to the physical RAM on the host. Try reducing it to say 1GB in virtual machine options.

Ah {censored}... didn't notice the memory was set to 2GB. I'll definitely fix that. Gonna cancel the installation and start over.

Thanks for the info!!!!

Hi Donk

before all many thanks for your tutorial. Is iATKOS 10.5.4 sufficient for your guide ?

Sorry for the newbie question and thank in advance for your time.

No this is for the actual retail edition of Leopard. It isn't any use for iATKOS. There are 2 other tutorial threads I started and the one on JaS 10.5.2 should get you going.

Heh, weird. It doesn't detect my keyboard (laptop here). My mouse works fine though...

Any idea what's wrong?

Not really. What is the laptop?

Not really. What is the laptop?

XPS M1710

The keyboard doesn't work during installation or afterwards... but it does work in other (linux) VMs

Ah, after the install I actually get a screen saying "Please attach a keyboard". So osx isn't actually detecting it attached at all.

Will this work to install Leopard Server, as I get the dark blue screen loading Leopard Server, but with a spinning ball and it goes no further.

Using Vmware Fusion 2 Beta 2

I have the same problem spinning ball and it goes no further.

And i was tryed Vmware and Parallels the same problem on both`` spinning ball and it goes no furthe``

Woohoo!! I'm up and running. Works great! This is so cool that I can run a totally vanilla installation.

One question. How can I change the screen resolution? Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file?

Yep that's the best way for now. The VMware tools for OSX does have a video driver but I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

I have the same problem spinning ball and it goes no further.

And i was tryed Vmware and Parallels the same problem on both`` spinning ball and it goes no furthe``

What is the processor on the machine and use -v boot flag to see if there are any obvious error messages.

XPS M1710

The keyboard doesn't work during installation or afterwards... but it does work in other (linux) VMs

Ah, after the install I actually get a screen saying "Please attach a keyboard". So osx isn't actually detecting it attached at all.

Sorry not sure what to say, as the keyboard and mouse are virtualized. Do you see any errors in the vmware.log file in the guest directory?

Sorry not sure what to say, as the keyboard and mouse are virtualized. Do you see any errors in the vmware.log file in the guest directory?

Not really.. The funny thing is that the keyboard works until I actually boot into osx.

I see "USB: Initializing 'Virtual Keyboard' backend"

Also:

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Connecting device 0x400000010e0f0003

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Attempt to connect already connected device

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Failed to connect virtual USB mouse (14)

Aug 06 00:27:44.782: vmx| USB: Connecting device 0x600000010e0f0006

Which looks a bit funny, because the mouse works...

www.xordan.com/vmware.log Is the whole log.. maybe if you can spot something I didn't.

Edit: I plugged in an external keyboard too... vmware picks it up right away... if I try booting with it connected then osx picks it up and says it doesn't recognise it. Then when I try to go through the process for it to recognise it doesn't respond to key presses.

Edit2: I got it working. I edited Darwin.vmx and removed these lines (which I saw were failing for 5 min on startup):

USB:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

This time osx detected my keyboard and allowed me to select the type. Some keys are wrong, but it mostly works now.

Edit2: I got it working. I edited Darwin.vmx and removed these lines (which I saw were failing for 5 min on startup):

This time osx detected my keyboard and allowed me to select the type. Some keys are wrong, but it mostly works now.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I did that and fixed my keyboard problem. Earlier, when I mentioned it worked, I was running off a 32-bit windows. It didn't gave me any trouble. Since I'm still setting up my environments, I decided I should utilize my 4GB memory, so I reinstalled with XP 64-bit, but hit that keyboard problem. After doing what Xordan mentioned, no more keyboard problems. Everything seems to be running smoothly so far.

I opt not to install any language files or printer drivers. This drastically sped up the install process.

What is the processor on the machine and use -v boot flag to see if there are any obvious error messages.

Core2Quard Q6600@3.6 Gigabyte DS3P P35 4GB ram radeon2600XT 10.5.4 from vanila instal all update

DVD of Leo server work when i use my boot 132 cd version on native install but not work if i try to install on Paralels server or Vmware.

It boot load and when go in GUI only blue screen and spinning ball not load menu ....

3. The CD will have to remain mounted during boot, as none of the ways of copying the boot-132 code to the hard disk works. Trust me I have spent 2 weeks trying!!!

I was make original darwin iso from vmware2beta to load from flash.

But this not help to boot from DVD becouse Vmware mount this like a 2-second cd-rom where the first is your real and boot menu not have cd-rom driver just when prees eject eject the first .The two cd-rom are on same bus .... But the paralels server boot loader is someting diferent and i was unable to find from where paralels server load bootloader ;)

I'll add that to the first post as a hint. Thanks.

I was make original darwin iso from vmware2beta to load from flash.

But this not help to boot from DVD becouse Vmware mount this like a 2-second cd-rom where the first is your real and boot menu not have cd-rom driver just when prees eject eject the first .The two cd-rom are on same bus .... But the paralels server boot loader is someting diferent and i was unable to find from where paralels server load bootloader ;)

It may be worth taking a look at the Parallels loader, but VMware has hard coded logic that always uses the darwin.iso during boot. So without patching the VMware executable you can't replace that functioality. I have looked at creating a replacement darwin.iso to use but there are digital signatures amd if not found or not correct the iso isn't loaded. A reasonale approach to enaure that only VMware authenticated toolds iso images are used.