Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

I'll add that to the first post as a hint. Thanks.

It may be worth taking a look at the Parallels loader, but VMware has hard coded logic that always uses the darwin.iso during boot. So without patching the VMware executable you can't replace that functioality. I have looked at creating a replacement darwin.iso to use but there are digital signatures amd if not found or not correct the iso isn't loaded. A reasonale approach to enaure that only VMware authenticated toolds iso images are used.

You can use boot 132 ``boot`` file and replase the darwin boot file ;)

or you can make other virtual machine and add 2 cd-rom on first add moded iso as second cd-rom and it will work :rolleyes:

You can use boot 132 ``boot`` file and replase the darwin boot file :)

or you can make other virtual machine and add 2 cd-rom on first add moded iso as second cd-rom and it will work :(

Sorry I don't understand what you mean here.

Hey, Donk,

I just download and installed the Template you made. Just one Noobie question, What image file ext. to used? ISO or DMG? as you said its retailed Mac OS, it should be in the dvd right? but if image file, what it should be?

sorry for the question?

Thanks

Hey, Donk,

I just download and installed the Template you made. Just one Noobie question, What image file ext. to used? ISO or DMG? as you said its retailed Mac OS, it should be in the dvd right? but if image file, what it should be?

sorry for the question?

Thanks

ISO is needed. VMware can't mount a DMG.

Hey, great work! I'm curious about the inner workings of this, so here's two questions:

1. I assume the ISO was built from David Elliott's code, right? Is there a howto somewhere on building such an image?

2. What's the reason it only works with VMWare Fusion?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity ;)

Floe

Hey, great work! I'm curious about the inner workings of this, so here's two questions:

1. I assume the ISO was built from David Elliott's code, right? Is there a howto somewhere on building such an image?

2. What's the reason it only works with VMWare Fusion?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity ;)

Floe

Do you mean the one that VMware ships or the one I put together?

Do you mean the one that VMware ships or the one I put together?

I'm new to the OSX community, so I wasn't aware that there is one from VMWare at all. I was talking about

the one you built..

I'm new to the OSX community, so I wasn't aware that there is one from VMWare at all. I was talking about

the one you built..

Well fundamentally you can find all you need here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288. I just worked through to find the minimal set of extensions needed to work with the VMware support for Mac OSX. VMware support Leopard Server on Leopard with Fusions 2 beta 2. The work I have done here is for Workstation 6.5 beta, but also works with Fusion to remove the limits on just being able to run server.

Question for you guys! I have tried building a new template with the following layout:

HD - SCSI drive

CD1 - IDE0:0 with boot helper image

CD2 - IDE1:0 with Leopard iso

However I can't work out what the BIOS device numbers are to pass to the boot loader.

Any ideas would be useful? Quick peek at my new loader...

post-142645-1218129892_thumb.png

Hello,

I follow your instructions and just after loading the iso file, the installation starts but I got several errors due to

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 39

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 47

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 79

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 77

diskarbitrationd[44] unable to probe /dev/disk0

diskarbitrationd[44] unable to probe /dev/disk4

diskarbitrationd[44] unable to probe /dev/disk5

and so on .... :angry2:

Sorry I don't understand what you mean here.

I was used darwin original image with changed boot file and initrd then burn in on cd and add second cd with moded darwin iso the same that i burn.

If i boot native from this cd my leopard dectop load and is fuly used only eject menu not work native. In Vmware eject all work but when start loading leo vmware crash ... I don`t know why maybe becouse i have select other linux for my test.

Here is my darwin iso http://rapidshare.com/files/135740974/darwin.iso.html

P.S I have another idea if we can suspend VMware right after chek darwin image and then we can change original darwin.iso with moded and run it.

Bunch of noobs, look Donk has done a easy guide to understand how many possible ways is there to install this dam thing.

The problems you are getting mostly down to lack of following the guide properly.

Fair enough there is the keyboard and mouse error, but most these questions just silly and not understanding what you doing but rushing into it.

I had a few problems also it took me a few times to get it right so its not gonno work 100 straight away unless you are lucky.

Thats why its called testing.

I was used darwin original image with changed boot file and initrd then burn in on cd and add second cd with moded darwin iso the same that i burn.

If i boot native from this cd my leopard dectop load and is fuly used only eject menu not work native. In Vmware eject all work but when start loading leo vmware crash ... I don`t know why maybe becouse i have select other linux for my test.

Here is my darwin iso http://rapidshare.com/files/135740974/darwin.iso.html

P.S I have another idea if we can suspend VMware right after chek darwin image and then we can change original darwin.iso with moded and run it.

OK I understand what you are doing and I have done the same thing during my tests, but I deliberately didn't distribute VMware copyright files. Also your initrd.img needs the following extension to ensure all the virtual hardware is correctly installed.

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Hello,

I follow your instructions and just after loading the iso file, the installation starts but I got several errors due to

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 39

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 47

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 79

localhost ResportCrash[55]: Too many crashes in rapid succession! No crash report being written for pid 77

diskarbitrationd[44] unable to probe /dev/disk0

diskarbitrationd[44] unable to probe /dev/disk4

diskarbitrationd[44] unable to probe /dev/disk5

and so on .... :(

Are you using an ISO file? Is the image OK? ALso assume you have used my template and that the CPU is supported by retail Leopard.

Are you using an ISO file? Is the image OK? ALso assume you have used my template and that the CPU is supported by retail Leopard.

Thanks for your reply.

I use your template. I'm not sure if my CPU is supported. How can I check that ? It's a Intel Core 2 Duo on a Dell D620 laptop.

Yes I use an ISO file from Kallway (10.5.2)

The errors occurs with read-only errors. Hum maybe the iso file is corrupted ?

Matthieu

Thanks for your reply.

I use your template. I'm not sure if my CPU is supported. How can I check that ? It's a Intel Core 2 Duo on a Dell D620 laptop.

Yes I use an ISO file from Kallway (10.5.2)

The errors occurs with read-only errors. Hum maybe the iso file is corrupted ?

Matthieu

This work is for the use only with the actual retail version of Leopard not any of the hacked versions. I think there is another thread on this on this forum. The laptop is OK as it is the same as mine.

This work is for the use only with the actual retail version of Leopard not any of the hacked versions. I think there is another thread on this on this forum. The laptop is OK as it is the same as mine.

thanks for your reply. I'm kind of lost with all the solution available but none was good. VM images without Internet or not ready for the installation of the iPhone sdk. :P

thanks for your reply. I'm kind of lost with all the solution available but none was good. VM images without Internet or not ready for the installation of the iPhone sdk. :D

Well if you have a copy of the retail DVD you are all set as it is the same system as I use. Internet connections and iPhone SDK runs fine on it, but I do have 4GB RAM and assigned 2GB to the Mac guest OS.

The work I have done here is for Workstation 6.5 beta, but also works with Fusion to remove the limits on just being able to run server.

You can remove the limits in Fusion to run Client? How do you do that, if I may ask?

You can remove the limits in Fusion to run Client? How do you do that, if I may ask?

By using this method rather than the one that comes out of the box with Fusion. You could also try and hack the boot file in the darwin.iso from Fusion to remove the check for ServerVersion.plist, but even though I have tried it currently doesn't work. Also any hacks on the VMware supplied darwin.iso are stopped due to digital signature checks.

However following the procedure here, which was originally for Workstation 6.5 on Windows, you can make it work on Fusion 2 beta 2. I have tested it on my real iMac and i worked fine. I hope to have an update for all this in the next few days based on additional work I have done.

Well if you have a copy of the retail DVD you are all set as it is the same system as I use. Internet connections and iPhone SDK runs fine on it, but I do have 4GB RAM and assigned 2GB to the Mac guest OS.

- I bought the retail DVD of Leopard 10.5.1

- I used your VM template efile (my laptop has already 4 Gb of RAM)

- I burned the DVD to an ISO file with ISOBuster (I got a 7.8 Gb file)

- I launched the VM with your ISO file and switched to the leopard one and enter 9f as boot device

- The installation starts but I 'm stuck with the grey screen with the spinning wheel since 30 minutes.

I got this error message after booting on the leopard iso file :

EBIOS Read Error 0x31

Block 0 Sectors 64

Matthieu