Updated: PS/2 Fix Installer for ANY version of Leopard

~pcwiz

161 posts in this topic

Yeah, its not very hard to do it on any other version. I made this package for 10.5.4 only because it uses a 10.5.4 AppleACPIPlatform.kext, but I could have just as easily made it for all systems. All you have to really do is download and install ApplePS2Controller.kext into your Extensions folder, then download AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext by Chun Nan and install it into /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPaltform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/. Then clear the kext cache and reboot :( All the links are in the first post.

Hey Can I use a USB Keyboard and PS/2 Trackball with this setup? I checked everything... cleared the cache and still isn't working for me. Can ya help out?

I should point out I am in 10.5.4 as per your package request. I am on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard. The Trackball is a Logitech Trackman Marble FX, and the USB Keyboard is a Speed Link Full Metal Keyboard Flat.

~pcwiz mentioned that the kext's being listed in the first post were "some of the files" used.

I was just curious if there was anything else special in the install scripts, tweaks to the original kexts being linked, or additional items.

I extracted the kexts with pacifist and tried them out.

Still can't get these to load from a boot-132 extensions folder without using boot -f.

Those are actually all the files used, sorry for any misconception it may have been caused. All the install scripts do is backup and remove the existing 2 kexts and then in post install, they set the right permissions just in case PackageMaker messed up on permissions again...To load them on BOOT 132 there are 2 things you could try. One, try deleting the original ApplePS2Controller.kext (if it exists) and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from your Extensions folder, that should force the loader to load the modified kexts. Two, try upping the version numbers on AppleACPIPlatform.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext to something really high. To do this, right click the kext >> Show package contents, open the Contents folder, find and open Info.plist and change all version values to something really high, open version.plist and change the versions there too. Apparently higher version numbers make it load over the vanilla kexts...

Hey ~pcwiz.

In the end I did look at the pre/post install scripts and didn't see anything extra there.

No worries and thanks for all your help here and in the community in general.

I have been going nuts for about a week now with a 10.5.4 boot-132 install and getting a ACPI shutdown/reboot fix to work.

Same issues with the AHCI kext.

I can get them to work off of the initrd.img up to 10.5.3 but 10.5.4 refuses to load them.

It'll work if you put them in the System/Library/Extensions folder on the OS drive, but that defeats the purpose of the boot-132 install.

Versioning (i.e. upping the version number in info.plist and version.plist from 1.2.1 to 5.2.1) wasn't helping.

For a test, renaming the AppleACPIPlatform.kext on the OS drive and rebuilding the kext cache results in a panic on next reboot.

It claims it can not find ACPI Platform which is in the initrd.img and did work with 10.5.3 (without renaming the ACPI kext folder).

So now I'm confused.

Working on a couple of theories as to why right now but I'm still stumbling in the dark with a dim flashlight trying to find my way around this issue.

Any help always appreciated.

Thanks.

USB should be fine, but I'm not to sure about PS/2 trackballs...you might want to PM Chun-Nan, he is the developer of AppleACPIPS2Nub and ask him about compatibility with trackballs.

Now Chun-Nan has released a new version of the driver... for people with PS/2 mouse but USB keyboard. So Your installer may need to get a bit more complex *and take you 10 mins to make instead of 5 ;P

Thanx for nudging me to PM. I just need to figure out how to remap the mouse buttons *neeeeeed soft scroll and cotrollermate doesn't want to behave*

that worked perfectly! many thanks! and by the way ...i just can´t find that awesome wallpaper anywhere :) could you tell me how or where to search for it? please !! i really want my hackbook to look as sweet as yours.

Well. My problem is can not run MAYA on Newest JaS 10.5.4.

Actually, when i just finished the installation of osx, all things worked fine. (Because, i desire to use maya on mac , so tried to install maya2008. But couldn't launch. But, on other dvd such as iATKOS_4i was no problem with it. ) So, i tried change sth in terminal , after restarting, and entering osx again, mouse/keyboard just forzen there and naver moved again. don't know why....

someone has same experience with this issue ?

any idea ?

By the way, i am gonna try this one, then report later on.

REPORT : Failed. installed it, and after restarting, stuck at the gray interface and can not enter the system...

I was having a lot of trouble with PS/2 in 10.5.4, and thanks to Chun Nan and others, I got a solution. So I put the right kexts into an installer package so it will make it easier for others. The package is attached below, and 10.5.4 is required to use it. Some of the files I used: ApplePS2Controller.kext patched by Tom H, AppleACPIPlatform.kext patched by karaakeha1 (this AppleACPIPlatform.kext also fixes restart issues on 10.5.4 as a bonus!), AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext by Chun-Nan (based on DFE's ACPIPS2Nub.kext). I've tested this package on my own system and it works fine, but if you have issues, please feel free to tell me. Many thanks to Chun-Nan and the others that helped me get my PS/2 working!

post-127394-1216861859_thumb.png

EDIT: And another thing, please leave feedback here if it worked for you :D

i have a red colored gateway m-series laptop.

my trackpad was working right off the bat, but my keyboard isn't. after trying the installer, both don't work. i'm very new to this and really would like to have a functional osx on this laptop, as i really don't like vista. any help, links to get what i need and installation istructions are appreciated. thanks!