Mac Mini rival?

vbetts

33 posts in this topic

For the time being yes. I'm sure Intel will be updating their main processor line too soon, so in the end it will all wash out :)

The big thing here is that the mini will become a real powerhouse in a small package. I love how technology marches on :censored2:

The Current Mac Mini still blows anything with a similar form factor..

Barebone Shuttle's etc. are obviously more powerful, but they're still larger, and lack the simplistic beauty of the Mini.. I've been really really happy with mine.. Sure it doesn't play games, but my 360 does, so i dont really care. It plays 1080p movies to perfection and that's all that counts for an HTPC type setup ;)

The Current Mac Mini still blows anything with a similar form factor..

Barebone Shuttle's etc. are obviously more powerful, but they're still larger, and lack the simplistic beauty of the Mini.. I've been really really happy with mine.. Sure it doesn't play games, but my 360 does, so i dont really care. It plays 1080p movies to perfection and that's all that counts for an HTPC type setup :(

First I'll say to InorganicMatter, I didn't mean rival as in installing Mac Os on it. I meant it as more of a low profile computer rival. This actually spec wise is a better computer than what the Mac Minis currently are. Couple of reasons, it's a true desktop. It's running a better cpu than the Mac Mini, and it's also not a mobile CPU. It has a FSB of 1066, which if I remember right the Mac Minis now only have a 667 or 800 fsb, more cache, and faster memory. Only thing I don't like about this little thing, is it only has a 5400 rpm harddrive.

For the time being yes. I'm sure Intel will be updating their main processor line too soon, so in the end it will all wash out :(

The big thing here is that the mini will become a real powerhouse in a small package. I love how technology marches on :(

iMacs use mobile processors too.

Well that's the one thing that I get to learn today ;)

I guess they would have to be mobile for the heat issues.

Yeah, I don't know how you'd fit a decent heatsink for a desktop processor in that much space. Thats why the iMac is so unappealing to me, mid ranged mobile motherboard and processors at a high end desktop price.

If you consider workstation as desktop computer(a lot of people don't), then Apple only has one real desktop. Apple and foxconn figured how to control the heat in the core 2 duo in the macbook air(Intel kind of was part of this heat fix) I don't see why they can't figure out a way to control the heat from a desktop cpu, but then when you look at the MacPro and the HUGE giant HSFs in the MacPro, wow.

Yeah, I don't know how you'd fit a decent heatsink for a desktop processor in that much space. Thats why the iMac is so unappealing to me, mid ranged mobile motherboard and processors at a high end desktop price.

What do you prefer over the iMac? Mac Pro?

If you consider workstation as desktop computer(a lot of people don't), then Apple only has one real desktop. Apple and foxconn figured how to control the heat in the core 2 duo in the macbook air(Intel kind of was part of this heat fix) I don't see why they can't figure out a way to control the heat from a desktop cpu, but then when you look at the MacPro and the HUGE giant HSFs in the MacPro, wow.

Yea but it is still not a Mac though

What do you prefer over the iMac? Mac Pro?

Yea but it is still not a Mac though

I'm not saying it is, or saying that it will run Mac on it. As I said earlier, it rivals as a low profile slim desktop, not by OS, but by setup.

Nice little desktop. My advice? Wait a couple months till Asus releases the EEE PC version of this model! Same form factor, but with SUPER low-power dualcore Atom chip. Linky!

Seemed ok but as usual we just get more and more delays. I like my EEE PC. Wouldn't buy another Asus product though. The Gigabyte M912 seems more interesting but then it doesn't seem to be coming this way...

As far as I can tell there is nothing, apart from the new Dell Studio, that comes close to the Mini. The rest are either vaporware or junk.

lstep

iMacs use mobile processors too.

The iMac is an oversized laptop with a screen and a camera. Although attractive it isn't more powerful than most of our hacks and my future rig :)