Mac Mini rival?

vbetts

33 posts in this topic

Specs wise, this little thing stomps on the Mac Mini.

That's only because the mini hasn't been updated in eons. Now that Intel has come out with new processors, you could very possibly see a quad core mini. We'll all find out in a month or two when the new machines come out :rolleyes:

That's only because the mini hasn't been updated in eons. Now that Intel has come out with new processors, you could very possibly see a quad core mini. We'll all find out in a month or two when the new machines come out ;)

If there's going to be a quad core mini, I would buy one. That's a little beast right there. :P

The iMac is an oversized laptop with a screen and a camera. Although attractive it isn't more powerful than most of our hacks and my future rig :D

The iMac is really much more powerful than most (if not all) laptops. For example, iMac processors have 1066MHz FSB processors, and desktop graphics cards (albeit the crappy ATI Radeon 2600 series and the midrange 8800GS).

That said, it may not be more powerful than most hackintoshes, but at least it can run OS X flawlessly - something that no hackintosh can do. In addition, the iMac is very quiet, takes up very little room, and so on.

So... my point is - the iMac is a bit more than an oversized laptop with a screen and a camera. And anyway all laptops have screens and most have cameras these days.

If there's going to be a quad core mini, I would buy one. That's a little beast right there. :D

They should call it the Mac Mini Pro :D You'll also see quad core MacBook Pros this fall, and even though they are a lot more powerful, they don't run as hot and save battery power :D

The iMac is really much more powerful than most (if not all) laptops. For example, iMac processors have 1066MHz FSB processors, and desktop graphics cards (albeit the crappy ATI Radeon 2600 series and the midrange 8800GS).

That said, it may not be more powerful than most hackintoshes, but at least it can run OS X flawlessly - something that no hackintosh can do. In addition, the iMac is very quiet, takes up very little room, and so on.

So... my point is - the iMac is a bit more than an oversized laptop with a screen and a camera. And anyway all laptops have screens and most have cameras these days.

As for the video cards, they use MXM cards, which is mobile PCIE. The 2600 has a mobile version, but the GS doesn't so clocks were most likely lowered on the GS inside of the Imac. As for the cpus, what line of Core 2 duo mobiles are they using? I know the high end ones use the Core 2 Extreme.