Leopard on a dell studio 15 and 17

pifou

489 posts in this topic

With the Intel GMA X3100 drivers from iDeneb 10.5.5 I can have full 1280x800 (I believe) resolution. I would try that in the meantime...at least until 3450 drivers appear.

But which card do you have in your studio laptop ? The intel X3100 or the ati mobility 3450 ? :yoji:

Well I took a break on the audio driver as at least we have some audio at the moment. I am working on a newer kext for it however I am stumped and I have decided to work on the video a bit..... Fujilives has made great strides in the video department and now my card is recognized but, it is not 100%.

It's strange you can't make it work with Ridgeline kext (Thanks...), may be you have to make a clean install of OSX, the first time i tried the kexts it didn't work because the laptop was in an experiment time with lots of kexts and stuff tried without clean backup :( ,

and on a clean instal i can now hear the sound

Edit : Maybe there is a probleme with the intel X3100 kext, is there anyone else with this graphic card trying to run Ridgeline IDT audio kext ?

OK, on studio 15 now I have used the kexts on page 7 of this post and have working audio for tested so far... Itunes and YouTube.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

As a side note, I installed with Kext Helper and forgot to do permissions.... but still worked. I may fix them later... I amy not. :angel:

Volume up and down only shows up on screen as it being muted and have to use volume controller in program.

Last Point/Question... is this WAY LOUDER than in Vista/XP for everyone or just me...

As for video...

if anyone has the time to try it, there is a hope on post # 887 here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7526&hl=ATI 3450&st=880#

I would but tried another one and now only a blue screen... I'll reinstall and then try it if no one else does.

PS, is there a better way to restore after a bad kext install than to reformat and start all over?

As for video...

if anyone has the time to try it, there is a hope on post # 887 here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7526&hl=ATI 3450&st=880#

I would but tried another one and now only a blue screen... I'll reinstall and then try it if no one else does.

PS, is there a better way to restore after a bad kext install than to reformat and start all over?

Next time the computer reboots, boot with the -s flag in order to boot in single user mode. Then you can remove the offending kext without reformatting. There's a thread somewhere about how to do it if you aren't too handy with the command line interface.

As for video...

I am glad my audio kext worked for you the kext helper will actually repair some of the permissions it just does not work all the time. the HDAenabler.kext will not be picked up for permission repair by mac as it is not a standard mac file. The Audio is loud and I am going to work on that and get an updated driver soon.

The post on page 45 by fujilives has my ati identified and works somewhat but I still can not make res. changes and I do not have CI/QE support at the moment but we are workin on it.

My mistake page 44......

Hey guys, OK, I've got the 3450 recognized, res is at 1600x1200, no QE/CI. However, I seemed to have lost the Battery Meter on the menubar. No option in Energy prefs. One of those kexts must have killed my power management? Anyone else have this happen? Is there a fix? Thx in advance :)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89659

This is the thread. It tells you how to install kexts though it's not too great at explaining how to remove them. Basically when Darwin loads, you type "-s" and then hit enter. Then you're in single user mode. This is the same thing as the terminal. You need to remove the offending kext. I will try to explain it without running the actual commands so bear with me. For each step, type what is in quotes and hit return.

1. "sudo -s" This logs you in as super user, you must type in your password after this

2. "mkdir /problemkexts/" This creates a directory to put our problem kexts in

3. "mv /System/Library/Extensions/name_of_kext.kext /problemkexts/" The mv is for move and this moves the kext to the directory we created

4. "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext" I believe this clears the kextcache, but I could be mistaken. It's a necessary step.

After you reboot, you should be good to go. In step 3, make sure you use the name of the kext that you are moving. If you are not sure of the name, you can change directories and list the names of all the kexts with the following commands: "cd /System/Library/Extensions/" and then "ls". There's probably a better writeup somewhere else, but this gives you the basic information.

See also this thread for deleting a kext from single user mode:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=41603

Vitoid, that was actually aimed at HPMac. He asked how to get rid of a kext when OS X will no longer boot. It sounds like you can find the offending kext within the graphical user interface so it shouldn't be too bad to track down what happened to the battery meter. Which kexts did you change?

Conroe Mac THX for the time saving info.

It worked to get the bad kext files out.

Now, to try the link I posted about the video to see if I can get this one to work now

OK. just installed all that stuff and can't see any difference still at 1024X768

Also, I must admit... I have NO IDEA why I want OSX anyway... just b/c I can I suppose.

Is there any reason to use this OS? Any better software or whatnot for it?

One last thing for this post... is everyone else's WIFI light really dim in OSX? comp. to the usual and the Bluetooth light??

HPMac: There are many reasons to choose OS X over Windows, but I'll say primarily, for me, ease of use. Every thing is right where it should be, where it needs to be, to be the most productive. Windows is a convoluted mass of menus and sidebars, and often doesn't do what you want to it without extensive modification. For instance, I have a program I use, called zMUD. It's a telnet client for playing MUDs. Control-A doesn't map to select all like it should, so I often find myself with overflowed buffers from where I thought I had selected everything and clear it. On a mac, command-a is always select all. Just, a bunch of little things that work so much better in OSX.

Hey, speaking of lights- and, if you want to punt me for being a putz for thread hijacking, please feel free - is there a way under Windows to make the touch button bar stay lit continuously, or even come on with the keyboard light or something? It's impossible to see them when it's dark, or you're at an angle, etc. They'd be much more viable if they were more visible.

This thead gets hijacked (while no progess is being made in OSX) and then back on track when something new comes out.

I don't know if there is a way to keep them lit or not. At boot, only one is lit at a time... it scrolls.

I would guess not but I agree, it is hard to see!!!!

If you get an answer please let me know. I can stand to give up that min. of battery life for it!

Another little progress for dell studio laptops!!

I'm closed to make ethernet work (BCM5784M card), the card is now recognised and i can configure the ethernet connection but can not connect yet, there is a problem with the mac adress and i can not change it with terminal. I did folow the EternalEmpty thread indications :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114605&st=0

Before installing the kexts I edited the two AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext (there is one in IONetworkingFamily.kext) adding device ID "14e4, 1698"

The installation crashed wifi (BCM43XX) I can not use it anymore but it is still recognised, and i can not reinstall airport with mcsmart trick...

Thanks ridgeline... will try next time I boot up OSX

for me b/c I am stupid... if I were to install this for the first time, is there another file I had to load or just this one kext for full audio?

Thanks in advance for all the new people starting out.