Leopard on a dell studio 15 and 17

pifou

489 posts in this topic

Yop,

Ethernet is now working for Dell studios Laptops... it's not a perfect solution but it's better than a non working card, isn't it ?

You will need to install the kext with kexthelper, (and repair permissions...), if your network connection needs a mac adress you have to edit the driver with Hexedit, following Noob1X's instructions (in the zip with the kext).

You will have to configure manually the connection in system preferences /network ; Use the Magnat2 script makes utilisation easy

I'm using my ethernet card to write this post, so don't tell me it doesn't work :)

Enjoy

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963461

I know QE and CI don't work for the 3450 but has anyone been able to get the resolution to 1280x800?

EDIT:

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to start a new thread for discussion to continue on? I feel like someone should organize all the known solutions on the first post.

I will not be able to help on the bluetooth, I overlooked that on my build and forgot to get it when I ordered my system.

I am anxious to hear about the video though... ScottishDuck, what do you know about it?

Thanks, Mark

Sorry if my post was misleading! I was talking about the ATi graphics thread where so far the card is recognised with almost all QE/CI and no resolution support.

So, just to clarify, does this new ethernet recognition get rid of the Wi-Fi? I'm anxious to try this out, but not at the expense of my primary means of connecting to the internet!

On an unrelated note, however, is the X3100 the same thing as the 3450 card? Is Intel's graphics thingy just a front for the actual piece of hardware? I've been operating under the impression that that was the case, but if it isn't then I guess I don't have to worry about the 3450 anymore! Thanks for all the hard work, guys!

So, just to clarify, does this new ethernet recognition get rid of the Wi-Fi? I'm anxious to try this out, but not at the expense of my primary means of connecting to the internet!

On an unrelated note, however, is the X3100 the same thing as the 3450 card? Is Intel's graphics thingy just a front for the actual piece of hardware? I've been operating under the impression that that was the case, but if it isn't then I guess I don't have to worry about the 3450 anymore! Thanks for all the hard work, guys!

Ethernet install don't crash airport and I can say you can switch from one to the other very quickly.

I have a dell 1397 and there is no problem, the feedback from 1510 users is good... but for better feedback about this method look at Noob1x thread...

I know QE and CI don't work for the 3450 but has anyone been able to get the resolution to 1280x800?

EDIT:

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to start a new thread for discussion to continue on? I feel like someone should organize all the known solutions on the first post.

For the moment, the only way to have a better resolution than 1024x768 is to have a

1440 x 900 or 1920 x 1200 screen ; the 1280 x 800, are stuck to low resolution

Yes it is a good idea to organize the dell studios threads, but there is already Comprasher one, he has done a great tuto for a Leo4all install, i am also working to make an "how to" in french with Ideneb, so maybe a central thread would be usefull

FYI the x3100 intel and ATi 3450 Mobility are 2 totally different cards.......

so i tried the ethernet fix...and my wifi stopped working. I think I'll wait until the ethernet fix is more developped. Does anyone know how to undo the effects of this?

thanks.

Try to add a new airport config in system preference / network, when i did install ethernet it looked like airport did not work anymore, but i just had to config network preferences, if doesn't work try to reinstall wifi ; and which wifi card do you have ?

If doesn't work throw out in the trash the applebcm5785M file which is in system/library/extension, repair permissions, and reboot,

thanks for feedback

I'won't work on ethernet anymore for the moment, I think it works great enough like that, and possibility to change it with my poor codes knowledge are small, but if you want to better developpe this function you have to...

Great to see the many people with studios working to get them working.

I am looking forward to 3650 support oh so very much.

Also would be willing to donate in order to get the 3650 supported with QE/CI.

Btw:

iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 installed fine on my studio 1735.

Pretty much only got FireWire working OoB. Haven't delved into trying to get much else working yet. Just researching and downloading files which have seen success. I'm too much of a nix noob to tinker with stuff without having a way to fix it.

Will try the ethernet and sound kexts soon. Once I get my head around what I need to do.

If only the 3650 worked, things would be incredible.

Oh and by the chance, does anyone know how to force an install of Logic Studio, it closes saying I have no VRAM and QE support :(

Until I can get QE support (Can get card recognised according to latest posts), I can't use OSX for the sole reason I want to, Logic Pro.

About bluetooth : i'm dualbooting OSX (Ideneb) and Vista, and when i uninstall bluetooth driver in vista and then reboot in OSX, the bluetooth light turns on... and the computer is recognised by my phone but can not connect = so there is a bluetooth signal!!

But I can not check the bluetooth options in OSX!!! damned

Alright! Thanks to the work of everybody in this thread, my Studio is almost completely functional as a Mac! Congratulations guys! All I need now is the card reader and bluetooth. However, those aren't high priorities for me right now. Here's my status:

Audio: IDT 92HD73C1 | 75% working | no headphones or mic | kext by ridgeline

Video: Intel GMAX3100 100% I guess | 1280x800 res QE/CI | came with iDeneb 10.5.5

Wireless: Dell 1397 aka Broadcom BCM4315 | 100% | mcsmart's script

Ethernet: Broadcom BCM5784M | 100% | Boombeng's kext

Bluetooth: Nothing yet

Webcam: Works out of the box

Murton: If you don't have it already, try getting Kext Helper b7 (Google it). It really helps in installing kexts if you're a noob (like me!).

And here are the full status

Audio: IDT 92HD73C1 | 90% | no headphones | kext by ridgeline

Video: Intel GMAX3100 | OK | 1280x800 res QE/CI |

Video : ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3450/3650 - Reco but no QE/CI and low res

Video: Intel HD GMA X4500

Wireless: Dell 1510 | 100% | with apple update | Ridgeline's find Ethernet: Broadcom BCM5784M | 100% | Boombeng's kext

Bluetooth: Nothing yet (Reco as USB hub)

Webcam: Out of the box

FireWire : Out of the box Card Reader : Doesn't look so good (no internal card readers in Macbooks)

USB :Out of the box

TrackPad : Out of the box (needs FFScroll for a full support, see Comprasher's Thread)

CD/DVD : Out of the box

Fingerprint scanner : OK

Keyboard : Out of the box

Editing with links in progress...

And here are the full status

Audio: IDT 92HD73C1 | 75% working | no headphones or mic | kext by ridgeline

Video: Intel GMAX3100 100% I guess | 1280x800 res QE/CI | came with iDeneb 10.5.5

Video : ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3450/3650 - Reco but no QE/CI and low res

Video: Intel HD GMA X4500 ????

Wireless: Dell 1510 | 100% | with apple update

Ethernet: Broadcom BCM5784M | 100% | Boombeng's kext

Bluetooth: Nothing yet

Webcam: Works out of the box

FireWire : Out of the box (didn't try it, can anyone give feedback ?)

Card Reader : Doesn't look so good (no internal car readers in Macbooks)

USB :Out of the box

TrackPad : Out of the box (needs FFScroll for a full)

CD/DVD : Out of the box

Actually if you try my latest sound you should have internal and external mic working just no headphones as of yet....

The card reader may not be that hard as it shows most internal things being hooked up via usb list......

Has anyone tried to do anything about the fingerprint scanner?

Hey ridgeline, thanks for your great work. Ok, I installed the newest sound kext. And all is just as you say. I'd like to add: I have two headphone jacks on my studio. The first one, when headphones are inserted, mutes the speakers, but no sound on the headphones also. The second jack, gives headphone sound AND speaker sound. So it seems you are oh so close. Bravo! Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

Try to add a new airport config in system preference / network, when i did install ethernet it looked like airport did not work anymore, but i just had to config network preferences, if doesn't work try to reinstall wifi ; and which wifi card do you have ?

If doesn't work throw out in the trash the applebcm5785M file which is in system/library/extension, repair permissions, and reboot,

thanks for feedback

I'won't work on ethernet anymore for the moment, I think it works great enough like that, and possibility to change it with my poor codes knowledge are small, but if you want to better developpe this function you have to...

I have the 1510-n card. I will try it when I get home today. Thanks for the reply.