Leopard on a dell studio 15 and 17

pifou

489 posts in this topic

I got it working too. Thanks ridgeline! Maybe someone should edit the wiki to include the new status on the wireless N? Has anyone had any success with multi touch like on the real macbooks? I thought it was a separate piece of hardware, but I think I remember reading a post that someone got it working.

Is there any software to take advantage of the fingerprint scanner?

That is great I am glad I was able to help....... as far as the multi touch and the fingerprint scanner I do not know I am working on audio still and then hopefully move on to video..... let us know if you find anything though.

Keep posting ideas and solutions guys this could be the official how to thread for the Studio's

:D

Also Vitoid you may want to check and make sure it is enabled in your bios......

Hey thanks Ridgeline for suggesting to check the bios settings. I just assumed all was ok because wireless works in Vista. Now, in the bios settings, the wireless was turned on, however, there was an option to go back to basic settings for the wi-fi catcher, a sort of reboot for the catcher, so to speak. I set that, re-booted, and voila, wi-fi works. Thanks again for that last suggestion to check the bios settings, it was good advice. I appreciate it.

Glad it worked for you and I would just like to add I am running a retail vanilla leopard install thanks to the boot-132 method. Awesome write up in this section and I am basically fully functional except for ethernet, Video, and audio

It is kinda nice to have a full Leopard install. Let me know if anyone else has questions n this method I will help as best I can.

Ridgeline... Does that mean that you can update it now with no issues? I know I tried updating my 10.4.XX one time and it crashed all to hell after that.

So, would it be better for me to do an install like you did or just use any version out there (as far as updates go)

Ridgeline... Does that mean that you can update it now with no issues? I know I tried updating my 10.4.XX one time and it crashed all to hell after that.

So, would it be better for me to do an install like you did or just use any version out there (as far as updates go)

I tried a lot of the other methods but, i really wanted to get to a point where I just hit update with no worries. the boot 132 method worked great for that I downloaded the 10.5.5 combo update right off the mac website with my iMac and put it on a thumb drive and updated with no issues I then used my Airport Extreme file I have already linked in this section. Once I got airport working I went back and just hit software update. If I could just get video and audio working it would be like working on a real macbook.

Be for warned when you get the boot132 iso go into the initrd.dmg and update the ps2 controller with a working one and save before you burn otherwise you will have to install that kext later and unless you are lucky and have a usb keyboard and mouse it is really tough. I used the one from the iDeneb install and it works flawlessly.

If you are really interested in this method there is a great write up you should read if you have questions just ask.

Video... I have fulll res. and it knows it's an ATI card W/ 256 ram. It doesn't state the model #. I used a Ideneb Disk 10.5.5 The N card is working (with update from apple... also found on this site) and the mouse/keypad are as well. Audio is what we need!!!

Video... I have fulll res. and it knows it's an ATI card W/ 256 ram. It doesn't state the model #. I used a Ideneb Disk 10.5.5 The N card is working (with update from apple... also found on this site) and the mouse/keypad are as well. Audio is what we need!!!

Full res video for ATI 3450 works out of the box for the Ideneb 10.5.5?

I found this, but it doesn't work for me. It shows my card as a 3470, and I can't change resolution.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear

Hi guys, im having some issues. I installed ideneb 1.3 - leopard 10.5.5 on the studio laptop 1735 on an external usb hard drive, and it installs okay. But now i want to install it natively on the internal hard drive, i have two hard drives in it, and i want to install it on the second drive.

The installation its self goes quiet smothly, but after restart, i go into f12 single boot, then select the second hard drive, but it does not boot. I get boot1 error. when i put the leopard dvd and use rd=disk2s2 -v , it shows that its stuck on "waiting for root device".

I have tried changing bios options AHCI/IDE and enabled and disable cache before and after install and still nothing.

any clue guys??

thanks

Did you simply select ATI Drivers at install>?

Okay well I switched back to iDeneb which is a great release however I still max out a 1024X768@32

I will probably switch back to full Retail Leopard but I had to know if the solution for video would work for me I have tried variou different kext with no luck and this tells my it is not supported so I also noticed that my device number varies it says it is a 95c4 not a 95c5 and on one attempt it shows the card in verbose mode to be a 3470.......???????? very confused but a great release none the less. Please lets keep this thing going and hopefully get more working soon.

Okay well I switched back to iDeneb which is a great release however I still max out a 1024X768@32

I will probably switch back to full Retail Leopard but I had to know if the solution for video would work for me I have tried variou different kext with no luck and this tells my it is not supported so I also noticed that my device number varies it says it is a 95c4 not a 95c5 and on one attempt it shows the card in verbose mode to be a 3470.......???????? very confused but a great release none the less. Please lets keep this thing going and hopefully get more working soon.

After a little digging, I found that 95c4 is the code for "3400 series", which the 3470 falls under. If you view the kext and search for 95c4, you'll see the direct reference to 3470. I'm not sure the difference other than that. I also dug up that it uses the M82 chip/core, so maybe if we can find another ati card that uses the same one and is supported under OSX, we might be able to edit the kext to support our device ID.

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x95c4

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Sorry, guess I was wrong about full video...

I didn't add any drivers to it, this is how it came after ideneb install

I got my Intrepid Ibex up and running with all the goodies, now I just need to get XP running, then I will focus on either video or sound for OS X. If anyone is interested in running XP, I have a copy (supposedly) of all the XP drivers. I'm going to test them out today. The annoying part is installing without AHCI drivers since the studio 15 didn't exactly come with a floppy drive. Anyone have leads on getting sound support?

XP ON STUDIO...

yes, that is what I am on right now (Vista is no more on my PC) EVERYTHING works!!! You need a driver I can help you out pending you have same hardware as I do... I am working overnight today so it will be tomorrow b4 I can help but if you need a driver let me know!

PS, install all your drivers then RESTART... it finds some of them after a reboot.

Regarding XP,

I am able to locate most of the drivers. I'm just having a time slipstreaming the AHCI driver onto an installation cd in order to use AHCI mode instead of ATA. Are you running in AHCI or ATA? If AHCI, how did you install the drivers? (Before or after install?)

Regarding OS X,

Are you all running the Studio 15's bios in AHCI or IDE mode?

I was able to slipstream the Vista SATA AHCI drivers directly from the Dell website over an old XP Pro installation cd using N-lite. What a horrible pain in the butt. XP is really showing its age when it asks for drivers to be on a floppy disk. Oh well, one step closer to running a triple boot with AHCI enabled. I'm curious to see the HD performance difference on the Studio 15 in OS X with and without AHCI enabled.

Alright, first report:

ideneb 10.5.5

Install went smoothly. No real problems getting started.

What appears to work:

Integrated webcam (took a pic =)

Firewire (haven't tested, but recognized)

AHCI mode for HD

ICH8

Fingerprint reader

What appears not to work:

Video (I selected HD 3650 driver and I'm at 1024 x 768 which is not unbearably small)

Sound

Wireless

Have not checked:

HDMI port

Bluetooth (don't have)

There is apparently a wireless fix so I will be trying that soon.

Wireless confirmed to work. Recognized as an airport card. I tested it with a 128-bit WEP key and it worked just fine.

Working:

Integrated webcam (took a pic =)

Firewire (haven't tested, but recognized)

AHCI mode for HD

ICH8

Fingerprint reader

Wireless 1397 w/ bcm43xx_enabler.sh (Not sure about the wireless N card)

Not working:

Video

Sound

Not sure:

HDMI

Bluetooth

Sounds like you have had same success as others with the OSX Install...

XP... I am not sure the name, but it is the Hard drive setting that is NOT the default for the studio. Working on XP and OSX. XP Wouldn't install otherwise. Also, I installed XP First, then OSX.

P.S.S. If I can't get audio, I'm going to drop OSX (for now) and install Ubuntu's new release I downlaoded to that partition. Then, after audio and video is back working on OSX I'll reinstall. As is... Vista is better than OSX with no good video and NO audio at all.