Leopard on a dell studio 15 and 17

pifou

489 posts in this topic

Ok, small issue. Got almost everything working (INCLUDING NATIVE RES ON MY ATI CARD!!!) but the keyboard and trackpad are being stupid. I've installed fix after fix and nada. Any insights? Specs are below.

I can't seem to get graphics working at all. Has anybody got any insight into the Intel GM4500HD?? I'm pretty sure its not the x3100 and when i check that box it just crashes and wont ever boot into OS X. Wht am I doing wrong?

Going to install vista then install os x and dual boot for now.

Can anyone help,

cheers,

Dan

As far as I know you can get native resolution with a lot of hacking but the mouse will be just lines and that's all. It's not very good right now. Definitely not an OOTB fix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi at all!

I'd like to install Os X on my dell studio 1537.

I've got 2 questions...

1) can I make a dual boot system with windows 7 and os x?

2) which version or edition of OS X can I use? There's a 64bit edition?

Tanks! :P byyyyyyyyyyy

Pomp92 (Ita)

• 1 month later...
Hi at all!

I'd like to install Os X on my dell studio 1537.

I've got 2 questions...

1) can I make a dual boot system with windows 7 and os x?

2) which version or edition of OS X can I use? There's a 64bit edition?

Tanks! -_- byyyyyyyyyyy

Pomp92 (Ita)

1) yes you can dual boot, there are dozens of topics in the forum instructing dual boot setups, i would suggest start reading as troubleshooting after the install of the 2nd OS can be frustrating. be prepared before you do it.installing OSX then windows, then going back to repair OSX pariting as active is best luck i've always had.

2) theres no way you read through all 5 pages of this thread. there is tons of good info in here, you shouldnt need to ask which version or edition as the answer is clear as day in this exact thread you replied to

3) 64 bit is snow leopard, thats a whole different forum, your in 10.5 leopard forum

more info on dell studio install here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1198045

• 4 months later...

Hey, Ive just installed OS X (IPC) on my Dell studio 1537, everything went fine, after reboot it says to me please connect keyboard? and also my mouse doesn't work?

I dont have a usb keyboard unfortunately but i do have a usb mouse.

What do i need to do to fix this?

After tweeking settings around i am now running IPC 10.5.6 Successfully on my Dell studio 1537 with keyboard & mouse.

I used the Broadcom wireless driver, Power management pack & PS/2 Keyboard fix.

Although on boot i have to use -f -v to get it on.

Suck on 1024x768 though anyone got a fix yet?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Everyone ;)

Everything was great with my Dell 1535 until last last week (a perfect year and a half since I first installed Leopard on my Studio).

Last week my dell began to give me a kernel panic (the please hold your power button dialog box) everytime I opened an application that required to connect to the internet (mail, safari, firefox, itunes [when connecting to the itunes store], twiterrific, etc). I tried to identify the kernel panic using the -v flag, but everytime it crashed it would just freeze my screen without giving me any kernel panic.

I tried to reinstall. I have always used the Ideneb distros to install and update my laptop. But this time, after a clean installation, I get a kernel panic when i try to restore my information using the "migration assistant" and everytime I try to update (using the update app from leopard, or the combo update from ideneb). Oh and also everytime I try to run the tasks from osx86tools. This happens every time with any of the distros I use: ideneb 1.3,.4,.5 and Iatkos.

I can install kexts using the Kext Helper and pretty much any app that doesn't require to reboot my laptop or upgrade my Os. (10.5.6 is the most stable distro I could use).

This is what I've tried so far to fix my problem:

-Turning off and on my laptop.

-Repairing permissions on my hard drive.

-Reinstalling Leopard with 5 different distros.

-Dissapmbling my laptop and removing Wifi and RAM cards and reinstalling again.

-Banging my head against the wall.

Does anyone has any idea of what could be happening? Or any idea of how I could fix this?

I don't care that much to upgrade again to 10.5.8, but I'd like to recover my files from my time machine back up.

Thank you so much for reading me, I hope I can hear something from you guys.