Leopard on a dell studio 15 and 17

pifou

489 posts in this topic

I've managed to get most everything (short of video and bluetooth) working with iDeneb v1.3 on my Studio 15, but I can't seem to get the webcam to work for the life of me. iChat detects my mic, but no camera...Any ideas?

Hi, the biggest issue I still have with the studio, is the touchpad driver!

The nly drivers I have found are:

1. Alps Touchpad driver, which really sucks. It changes the accouracy of the mouse and has a delay at small movements.

Doesent work for me.

2. The 2 Fingerprint driver: Accouracy is the same, very bad.

So, are there any better solutions, which I can't find?

Ps: Cooling works much better now with speedstep, as long as I just use office applications... (But the fan still doesn't turn off.

(But the fan still doesn't turn off.

Yep, it seems it can not turn off, when i boot with a cold lap the fan doesn't turn on directly, it goes on when t° becomes higher, but never turns off or run with lower speed when t° is lower...

i have noticed 3 fans steps : 1 off, 2 low speed, 3 high speed,

The applefan kext doesn't seem to be loaded so we can not tweak in it to change t° steps... don't know if there is a solution for this problem...

Hi there,

I've now had my new Studio 1537 for a little more than 24 hours and I already have working leopard. :)

Googling 'site:insanelymac.com "studio 1537" ' brings no results, so I figured I'd weigh in on what I've got in hopes it can help someone:

The only upgrades I have from the standard 1537 is a WUXGA screen, internal bluetooth, and a 9-cell battery.

I installed 10.5.2 using leo4all v3, MBR (ICHx, 9.2 sleep kernel, SMBIOS- 800). I'm currently booting from a boot-132 cd, otherwise I get the notorious hfs+ error.

Working out of the box: webcam, keyboard, trackpad, dvd burner, firewire (not tested, but recognized in SP), and SATA info.

AUDIO

I've been trying all sorts of things I've been downloading that are said to work, especially the dell laptop post-installer, which I think has helped a little. I installed an audio kext from a studio 15 thread, and it doesn't exactly work: system profiler recognizes two 'Intel High Definition Audio'; one with device id, audio id (12), microphone (internal), speaker (internal) and microphone (1/8 inch Jack), and one just with the device ID (0x1028029F).

DISPLAY

I've got the radeon HD3450, for which I'm aware there is no driver as of yet. System profiler says:

Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Networking:

I have no info about my ethernet, wireless, or bluetooth from System Profiler.

I know my bluetooth is Dell Bluetooth 370 and my wireless is the Wifi Link 5100 ( I know there's no support for either of them), and I'll have to find out the chipset of my ethernet, as it isn't working yet.

Booting:

I'm planning to dual boot with vista, hopefully using the MediaDirect Button (great idea!), but I haven't quite gotten there yet. My hard drive is still partitioned as MBR (shrunk vista to 100GB, leaving ~60 for leopard and ~60 for linux

Here's where my questions come in: (How) can I get this to boot directly? If I'm thinking correctly, PC EFI / chameleon require GPT?

Next and hopefully last questions for now:

1. Is it normal for a studio with a not working hd3450, that sleep does work, but is just turning of the hd. (Screen,Fan stays on)

If not, what ways are there to improve that function?

2. My Touchpad is working now so far. But there is one very annoying problem with to 2finge Scrolling.

When I use that function, the first 20 pixels are used to move the mouse, before scrolling actually begins. Is there a way to prevent that and what changes have to be made?

Have Leopard installed (10.5.5) All working exept graphics, bluetooth.

Thanks a lot

BAstop

@bastop, are you refering to the pixels on your screen and if so it maybe video card related I personnaly do not use the 2 finger scroll bur, I would think it should have no real effect to you graphics .

@kpitstupidsimple, I for your audio did you use the hda enabler? and my driver? if not you should check out this link

@kpitstupidsimple, if this does not work for your audio get me a copy of you audio codec dump. you will need a copy of linux for this, but I can walk you through it if need be.

@bastop, are you refering to the pixels on your screen and if so it maybe video card related I personnaly do not use the 2 finger scroll bur, I would think it should have no real effect to you graphics .

@kpitstupidsimple, I for your audio did you use the hda enabler? and my driver? if not you should check out this link

@kpitstupidsimple, if this does not work for your audio get me a copy of you audio codec dump. you will need a copy of linux for this, but I can walk you through it if need be.

thanks ridgeline

1. No, what I mean is: Before scrolling starts, the mouse moves a little bit. Afterwards it stays fix. But at the bginning of moving the two fingers downwards or upwards or whereever the mouse cursor changes the position a littlebit. There is no way for me to prevent that. Not even through moving the fingers very slowly or waiting after having touched the pad before moving the fingers.

Probably the driver needs the first millimeter to recognize the movement, before actually changing from moving the mouse to scrolling the text.

Do you have all the same problem? Or is it just me?

2. Sleep? Is there a way to make it work on a Studio 1535? Is it working for the one with the intel Graphic chip?

Thanks

It works with the system but due to lack of video card control at this point it leaves the last image on the screen and sleeps the HD. I turned that feature off and just setuyp my screen saver the way I like it.

And as far as 2 finger scroll yes that sounds right I had an iBook and it did that to when I used the 2 finger scroll.

Can anyone with the Intel X3100 chime in on a small problem I have?

I like to hook my laptop up to an external monitor when I'm at home, and when I treat the two displays as two separate windows everything works fine. However, when I try to mirror the displays, both screens go crazy and I have to reboot in safe mode to get the resolution back to normal. Has anyone found a way (new kext, hexediting, info.plist edit, etc.), and if so, can they share it?

Thanks!

Hey Elsworth, I also like working with multiple displays at home. Ive tried getting my other display connected by the VGA port onto my dell, and select " Detect Displays" in System Prefs. -> Displays. However, both of my screens go nuts showing white, green and black blocks all over. Im guessing this only happens when mirroring displays as you say. So how do you make the other display capable of dragging other windows onto it?, I cant see an option for it in System Prefs. Thanx

Hi

Dell Studio updated to 10.5.6 without major problems using iAtkos v5 with PCefi V9 and a patched DSDT.

The update removes all specific drivers like BCM4312, BCM5784, appleHDA etc... even the keyboard and touchpad one, so prepare a back up of this kexts before and it will be OK :D

@ Ridgeline = It seems there is a way to replace HDAenabler kext by an add in the DSDT (see the King's thread), are you already working on that or not yet ? However i'll soon have a look and report...

bye

@Bombeng, No I have not looked at that yet but I will..... I went back to boot132 method and updated tp 10.5.6 with dsdt patch and have been trying to get my keyboard and touchpad back, got a driver you can point me to? I was looking at doing an efistring for audio through efistudio, but have been busy working on video until last night. I will def. check out the dsdt method though.

I went back to boot132 method and updated tp 10.5.6 with dsdt patch and have been trying to get my keyboard and touchpad back, got a driver you can point me to?

Ridgeline, if the kext you used before your 10.5.6 update was ACPIPS2Nub.kext, just remove it and use this one, it's quiet the same except a little edit in plist (more details here, thanks to Macgirl).

If you were using another kext to run your keyboard and trackpad, i can not help you...

ACPIPS2Nub_10.5.6.zip

Okay, I would like to say that I am running a retail install with the 10.5.6 update...... PCEFIv9 at that and I finally got it working with my internal keyboard and trackpad. I am here to help anyone that may need it and compcrasher, the iAtkos is nice but, I prefer the Boot 132 method....

Nice Supa R :)

Well, i've never tried the boot 132 method, i'm actually in 10.5.6 with iATKOS 5i updated and i find it better than Ideneb, the boot time is shorter.

May be you can begin to give informations about 132 method on Studio, i gonna read the specific thread about this method

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Dear member, I'd like to thank you all for the support, I got my 1535 fully working now (from video to SD card reader, even the remote control!) and I cannot ask for anything else, and everything is thanks for a all your hard work.

I wiped out my Vista partition and I havent had a problem for the last 3 weeks.

Thankyou all!

Ps. I'll wait for a "safe" update to get 10.5.6,

Again THANK YOU ALL!!!!

I got my 1535 fully working now (from video to SD card reader, even the remote control!) and I cannot ask for anything else

Hi Vorguees,

happy for you ;)

Just for info, does the remote control work out of zee box ? If not, how did you manage to make it work ? (i don't have one on my laptop)

Thanks

HI all,

(blablabla) :)

edit: I managed to install leopard succesfully. The only thing i changed when i tried to install it again was checking the box with ps2-controller(something like that) and now it is up and running. But i still have a few questions,

1. At "about this mac" it says my processor runs at 1.03GHz while it's supposed to be a 2Ghz processor. Is this because I enabled the speedstep, and thus will it run faster when i use cpu heavy apps?

2. I don't have a battery meter. Is there a fix for that?

thanks in advance.

robin