Will you still buy the real deal?

Will you still buy Macs?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use OSX86 as a primary PC?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy a real Macintosh over a Hackintosh?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If you would buy the real thing, would you still use a Hackintosh?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A

38 posts in this topic

My new quad core hack pro was built specifically for the efi-x and it runs amazing.

I have a macbook pro but this new efi-x hack pro is my primary home machine.

Quad core, 8 gigs ram, sees my esata raid array, video worked OOB (8800gtx) updates install straight from the internet.

I can't ask for more.

I'm here because I bought a MacBook in the first place---I wanted a laptop, and there's some Mac-only software I want to use to write a book. I got frustrated when I couldn't put OSX on any of my other 3 boxes. I want desktop redundancy with what I'm doing on the MacBook; it's a matter of simple safety and convenience since laptops can break or get stolen.

But like so many others, I don't like any of the Mac desktop options. The Mac Pro is too expensive and overpowered. The iMac is not flexible enough---I like to run all my boxes under one head with a KVM switch. The Mini is not powerful enough.

If I had money to burn, I might buy a Mac Pro, though the last time I played around configuring one online it came out to $18K... hardly a practical option.

Anyway, I doubt that I'd ever use OSX exclusively---I'm a Linux user of many years. I like to be able to use any software regardless of the platform, and that's why putting together a Hackintosh interests me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi.

In fact, I owned a real Mac BEFORE turning my old PC into a Hackintosh.

I needed a laptop for college use, so I bought a PC one, but it never worked with Vista that was pre-installed (I had at least 2 BSODs per day), and I never was able to install another Windows (xp) nor Linux. So I sold it on eBay and bought a MacBook instead. Then, I moved to my own appartment, and my mom told me to take the 3 years-old PC desktop which I turned into an iHack about a month ago. But the only Mac desktop I would buy would be a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro (but I don't have the money for the last one).

The only Apple product I'd shell out money for is OS X because it is worth every penny. A glorious UI, great software support and integration, all on a Unix backbone. OSX86 is running nearly perfect on my ghetto-custom Intel based PC and with PC-EFI and boot132 helping to ensure future compatibility, the difference between a Hac and a Mac is becoming almost null.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After using a hackintosh for 1,5 years I bought myself a MacBook pro 15" (june '09 model). Just loving it.

It's woth every penny indeed!

If I could, I would buy a new apple product every month, just to have that wonderfull smell that comes with it!

I actually wanted to buy a MBP,but I bought a XPS M1530 and I'm really happy that I bought that one as it's amazing and really everything works.

Then,I wanted to buy an iMac,but now I'm clever enough and I'm going to buy a Hackintosh.

Sorry Apple,

your prices in good old Europa are NOT human at all!

converted to US dollars : 1 678 USD for a basic iMac!

In Germany it's still about 1550 USD.

And then compare the "real" value of the hardware,ok,I know that the design is better,but paying this huge bunch of money just for design...no way.

The only real Mac I bought is a 350 MHz AGP PowerMac G4 for some crazy experiments...

The only Apple product I'd shell out money for is OS X because it is worth every penny. A glorious UI, great software support and integration, all on a Unix backbone. OSX86 is running nearly perfect on my ghetto-custom Intel based PC and with PC-EFI and boot132 helping to ensure future compatibility, the difference between a Hac and a Mac is becoming almost null.

Yeah right... Business 101 you slept, huh? The price for OS and hardware is directly connected, and the OS is seriously underpriced and you factually pay a one-time fee once you buy it. The low retail prices are just upgrades then.

• 1 month later...
Yeah right... Business 101 you slept, huh? The price for OS and hardware is directly connected, and the OS is seriously underpriced and you factually pay a one-time fee once you buy it. The low retail prices are just upgrades then.

Maybe in the old Mac days when they had made their own processors. Apple doesn't own Intel and that makes a big difference when running OS X 10.5x and up. There are plenty of companies that make motherboards and chipsets, so there's nothing unique or special about Apple's hardware in that regard. I'm not the only one that doesn't like proprietary hardware/software. They just limit the selection to avoid compatibility problems, which can be seen as a good thing for business and customer support but at the same time, drives up the cost as a monopoly. Last I checked, Intel SSD drives had problems running on Macs and neither Apple or Intel wanted to address the problem, instead blaming each other. Microsoft isn't any different but at least XP is supported on practically all machines. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about OS X. On the other hand, the OSX86 project is giving publicity and advertising to future buyers.

If price were not an option, than yes the real thing is preferred. Still undecided on using it as a primary machine but it is definitely faster on speed tests, both downstream and upstream.

Is there a Linux distro out there that's as good as OS X?