New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I managed to copy the extra kexts from the P5Q Boot-123 disk to the initrd folder in the other 123 boot disk. I re-converted the initrd to an .img disk image and then burned the whole thing to disk. Even using Juzzis 1702 Bios, and swapping the Retail disk at the correct time I still get nowhere. Now I find I can't intall iDeneb either, and the same goes for iPC and Kalyway. I even tried the method using the USB Flash drive.

I guess the only way I'm gonna get anything approaching music creation out of this expensive heap of junk is by hitting the f@cking thing with a a bloody club hammer, like sme bizzare percusion instrument. If I really had to swap out my mobo and by the EFiX I might as well have bought a new Mac for the money.

Arrrrrrrrrrrg

P.S. I wanted to add an emoticon of a a guy trying to hang himself with his own mouse cord, but I couldn't find one.

Hey Guys,

I managed to copy the extra kexts from the PQ5 Boot-123 disk to the initrd folder in the other 123 boot disk. I re-converted the initrd to an .img disk image and then burned the whole thing to disk. Even using Juzzis 1702 Bios, and swapping the Retail disk at the correct time I still get nowhere. Now I find I can't intall iDeneb either, and the same goes for iPC and Kalyway. I even tried the method using the USM Flash drive.

This is how you should do (you need OS X to do this stuff):-

1) Create a directory at Desktop, for example "Boot132".

2) Copy the content of David Elliot's modified Boot-132 CD to "Boot132" directory.

3) Open initrd.img (just double-click it). You will see "initrd" volume at Desktop or Toolbar. Explore/browse "initrd".

4) Copy the extra kexts from the P5Q Boot-132 disk to "initrd" (Extra/Extensions/ folder).

5) Unmount "initrd" volume by dragging it to the Trash.

6) Now create ISO file (execute this command in Terminal):-

cd ~/Desktop

hdiutil makehybrid -o Boot132-P5Q.iso Boot132/ -iso -eltorito-boot Boot132/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot

7) Burn the ISO to CD.

EDIT: If you got "not enough space" or something like that when copying extra kexts to "initrd" volumes, you can resize initrd.img to appropriate size (execute this command in Terminal):-

cd ~/Desktop

hdiutil resize -size 20MB Boot132/initrd.img

Earlier, you managed to installed iDeneb using David Elliot's modified Boot-132 CD, right? Install it again to be able to do above stuff.

Good luck.

kizwan

Hi Kizwan,

The process was going fine up until step four. As you predicted the volume was too small to accept all of the new kexts (10MB):

post-444051-1245892758_thumb.jpg

I'm not at all experienced with using Terminal, but I pasted the command in exactly as you had typed:

post-444051-1245892871_thumb.jpg

After pressing Enter this was the result:

post-444051-1245892927_thumb.jpg

It occurred to me that maybe there wasn't meant to be a space after the word "resize":

post-444051-1245893023_thumb.jpg

This was the result:

post-444051-1245893104_thumb.jpg

I've managed to reinstall IDeneb on the machine using the normal Boot-123 (not David Eliotts) but it's very buggy - it has a kernal panic if I try to mount a disk and it doesn't recognize Open GL. I'm doing all this kext stuff on the old G5 PPC as at least it's stable.

Any ideas on where i'm going wrong trying to increase the voume size would be greatfuly recieved.

si

The process was going fine up until step four. As you predicted the volume was too small to accept all of the new kexts (10MB):

I'm not at all experienced with using Terminal, but I pasted the command in exactly as you had typed:

post-444051-1245892871_thumb.jpg

After pressing Enter this was the result:

post-444051-1245892927_thumb.jpg

Don't use "New Command" window. Just paste it in Terminal window. The command already correct, just need to execute it at correct path. Execute this command again, this time in Terminal window:-

cd ~/Desktop
hdiutil resize -size 20MB Boot132/initrd.img

or you also can execute the command like this:-

hdiutil resize -size 20MB ~/Desktop/Boot132/initrd.img

After you have successful with the resize process, start again from no. 3.

Sorry for the big font size. I just want to make it more clear, aspecially this character "~". So it will not be mistaken for other character. :angel:

kizwan

Hey Kizwan,

Thanks for all the help and the incredible patience you've shown. I used the command lines the you gave me and it did increase the capacity of the .img and created the .iso perfectly. Unfortunately the resulting disk still wouldn't let me boot Leopard Retail.

On the up side, I've updated iDeneb to 10.5.7 and installed Natit.pkg. As a result it's all running pretty well: recognizes ATI graphics card (got all the "new" Open GL features in Photoshop), Got sound through Apogee Duet (Firewire).......But no internet (ethernet) which is wierd, as it was one of the only things that DID work for me in iDeneb 10.5.6 lol.

As with 10.5.6, when I updated I did a standard install (not custom). I guess I will have to install a kext to get ethernet back? maybe install using Kext Helper?

si

P.S. This is what system profiler says about my ethernet:

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:0a:95:a6:12:1a

Media Options: Full Duplex, flow-control

Media Subtype: 100baseTX

Hardware Type: Broadcom 5421

Can't seem to find a fix for Broadcom 5421, would one of the other broadcom kexts maybe work?

P.S. This is what system profiler says about my ethernet:

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:0a:95:a6:12:1a

Media Options: Full Duplex, flow-control

Media Subtype: 100baseTX

Hardware Type: Broadcom 5421

Can't seem to find a fix for Broadcom 5421, would one of the other broadcom kexts maybe work?

I don't know what driver needed for your Broadcom 5421. Weird though, it looks like Mac OS X recognized it.

Too bad you still can boot retail Mac OS X DVD. Did it boot the DVD but still stuck at the same place (for example stuck at beach ball or etc)?

There is nothing bad using iDeneb though. If you still want to do retail setup, list down (also post it here) all drivers and/or patch did you select during iDeneb installation. This will give you the idea what kexts missing from the Boot-132 CD.

kizwan

I think I might stick with iDeneb for a while, I just need to get the ethernet working. Once I've got a little more cash (in about twenty years lol) I'll probably go down the EFiX route. What do you think about EFiX? That way I never have to see Terminal again lol. I'ts a bit like my liver, I know it's there, and I'm glad I've got one - I just don't wanna see it lol.

Oh yes, this is what the P5Q manual says about my LAN:

Dual Gigabit LAN controllers

Marvell 88E856 / 88E8001 Gigabit LAN controller

featuring AI NET2, Teaming and Redundent

I'll post a seperate thread asking about the LAN as this doesn't really come under the subject of David Eliotts Boot-123 anymore.

si

I think I might stick with iDeneb for a while, I just need to get the ethernet working. Once I've got a little more cash (in about twenty years lol) I'll probably go down the EFiX route. What do you think about EFiX? That way I never have to see Terminal again lol. I'ts a bit like my liver, I know it's there, and I'm glad I've got one - I just don't wanna see it lol.

I think EFiX is a great device. I might want to buy it too if it is not too expensive. B)

I think EFiX is a great device. I might want to buy it too if it is not too expensive. :)

Yes Kizwan, the EFiX does seem really expensive for what it is, especially if I have to buy a Gigabyte board to make it work.

Sorry to be a complete pain, but in the meantime, does this info ring any bells as far as getting my ethernet working:

Dual Gigabit LAN controllers

Marvell 88E856 / 88E8001 Gigabit LAN controller

featuring AI NET2, Teaming and Redundent

Cheers,

si

I think I've almost sorted out the problem, I just need a tiny last bit of help.

The LAN controllers on the P5Q are definitely Marvell 88E856. When I did a standard install of iDeneb 10.5.6 it automatically installed the IONetworkingFamily.kext (which supports this controller).

However. the iDeneb 10.5.7 update (which sorted out all my other problems) uninstalled this kext. In fact, there is a folder with the update called "Extensions Disabled" ant there is a copy of the IONetworkingFamily.kext inside it.

There is a thing called iDeneb.Tool.rev1 that comes with the update and it lets you install some of the older kexts with the update, but the IONetworkingFamily.kex is not included.

So here is the 22million Euro Question:

Is there a SIMPLE way to make sure that the IONetworkingFamily.kex is installed as part of the update, or at least not uninstalled?

Cheers,

si

Hey Kizwan,

Thanks for all the help and the incredible patience you've shown. I used the command lines the you gave me and it did increase the capacity of the .img and created the .iso perfectly. Unfortunately the resulting disk still wouldn't let me boot Leopard Retail.

Last thing to check here which probably the caused why it still cannot boot retail DVD.

Important information:-

Just make sure that the last 4 lines of the Info.plist of the kexts (in Boot-132) looks like this:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
  <string>Root</string>
 </dict>
 </plist>

Please change or add the entry to the Info.plist of every kexts. If not the kexts will failed to load from Boot-132.

Has anyone successfully installed osx10.5.6 with an intel d975xbx2 (bad axe 2) motherboard using a modified boot-132 cd? I've been trying and it just hands at the colorful beach ball. Any help and directions would be appreciated!

Using SlimBuild v2 I created a Boot 132 disk for my Vaio SZ 150P. It is running Kalyway upgraded to 10.5.5 with some custom kexts for PCMCIA, sound, Marvel Yukon ethernet.

My custom Boot 132 includes all extensions from my SZ as well as stock boot.plist using the vanilla mach_kernel from my MBP.

I successfully installed Retail Leopard but now I can't hard boot from disk. Booting first with custom boot disk, I hit F8, then escape, then select my hard drive and I receive the following:

hd (1,1)

Press Enter to start up the foreign OS.

then:

Calling chainbooter

Disk error
Press any key to restart

then blinking cursor, boot's custom boot, then I can't get any further than alternating between prompt to selected boot devices and Darwin boot prompt. I've tried -f, -v, -s switches and it just brings me back to prompt to select a boot device.

Has anyone successfully installed osx10.5.6 with an intel d975xbx2 (bad axe 2) motherboard using a modified boot-132 cd? I've been trying and it just hands at the colorful beach ball. Any help and directions would be appreciated!

Use the second image...with modified kexts...to make a boot cd...not the first one...were it says...noobs try this first...but i see the link is down...hmm...!...maybe someone has a good link...

Use the second image...with modified kexts...to make a boot cd...not the first one...were it says...noobs try this first...but i see the link is down...hmm...!...maybe someone has a good link...

Yeah that was the problem. I couldn't get this boot disc because the link was down. If anyone has it could you please upload it?

I just tried this new boot loader first on a virtual machine, then on my Dell. The Vm was able to load it fine, but it did give me a kernel error and shut down. I tried it on my Dell, i tried it both with Tiger and Leopard, and here are the errors i received for both: EBIOS read error: Error 0xbb Block 0 Sector 64 for Tiger, EBIOS read error: Error 0xbb block 16272264 Sectors 64 for Leopard.

Edit: While i was typing this, Leopard did go through, but now i'm stuck at the White bootup screen with the grey Apple logo. DO you know of a boot loader that supports tiger, because i know this machine can't handle it.

Yeah that was the problem. I couldn't get this boot disc because the link was down. If anyone has it could you please upload it?

Not my link, but here is a like that is still alive I found online.

Download with modified kexts:

RS Mirror

Code:http://rapidshare.com/files/128900708/generic.iso

I hope this helps I'm about to try it as well

*Update* Using this did not help me I still get to same point. The system does not see my touchpad so it ask for mighty mouse to be paired will try this when i get home.

Hi!

I just added my AppleAHCIPort.kext that supports the Dell Dimension 9200(XPS410) AHCI in RAID mode and VIOLA! it booted and installed!

SticMAN

Hi SticMAN,

I have a Dell Dimension 9200:

ACPI x86

Intel Core2 6420

Radeon X1300/X1550

Intel 82566DC Gigabit LAN Connect

Intel 82801 HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller

Intel P965/G965

Intel ICH8

and despite adding kexts (including AppleAHCIPort.kext) can't get past ..waiting on root device.. when trying to install retail Leopard. Can you tell me what kexts you've added (or better still upload your iso)?

Thanks..

OK. I am really confused and quite a noob. The .kexts for your motherboard need to go in initrd.img right? but how do you edit initrd.img? I was using PowerISO to edit the original .ISO, but it says it does not support .img files and neither does MagicISO. Also, where can I download .kexts for my motherboard. I have been reading around these forums for a long time, and I think I know which .kexts I need for my motherboard (GA-EP35-DS3L), but where can I download them?

Basically. I have everything ready (DVD, BOOT-132, (hopefully) compatible system), but I need to add .kexts to initrd.img and I don't know how. PM me or reply if you can help me out. It would be really nice if someone who knows a bit more about this could add my msn or something.

-thcx

OK. I am really confused and quite a noob. The .kexts for your motherboard need to go in initrd.img right? but how do you edit initrd.img? I was using PowerISO to edit the original .ISO, but it says it does not support .img files and neither does MagicISO. Also, where can I download .kexts for my motherboard. I have been reading around these forums for a long time, and I think I know which .kexts I need for my motherboard (GA-EP35-DS3L), but where can I download them?

Basically. I have everything ready (DVD, BOOT-132, (hopefully) compatible system), but I need to add .kexts to initrd.img and I don't know how. PM me or reply if you can help me out. It would be really nice if someone who knows a bit more about this could add my msn or something.

-thcx

Might help you...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86167