New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Alright, so... I've read all 56 pages. I think I can start working on it now. But there's still something I don't get.

I own a Macbook Aluminum and it comes with a DVD. I've never used it (apart from installing specific drivers for bootcamp/windows). On its cover it's printed "MacBook Mac OS X Install DVD".

Since I've never owned other Macs, I don't know if their DVDs are labeled the same or not.

So, is it a Restore DVD, despite the fact it is printed INSTALL DVD? Can I use it to install the Vanilla Kernel on a pc-based hardware?

I know it sounds stupid, but I reckon most will understand the basis of my doubt.

Kind regards,

Fimu

Alright, so... I've read all 56 pages. I think I can start working on it now. But there's still something I don't get.

I own a Macbook Aluminum and it comes with a DVD. I've never used it (apart from installing specific drivers for bootcamp/windows). On its cover it's printed "MacBook Mac OS X Install DVD".

Since I've never owned other Macs, I don't know if their DVDs are labeled the same or not.

So, is it a Restore DVD, despite the fact it is printed INSTALL DVD? Can I use it to install the Vanilla Kernel on a pc-based hardware?

I know it sounds stupid, but I reckon most will understand the basis of my doubt.

Kind regards,

Fimu

Standard rule is: If it is gray then it is restore, is it has an leopard logo on it it is retail install dvd. I assume that it is a restore disk, whilst it says MacBook install DVD. To be sure, attach a picture.

EDIT: here's what I get:

-Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (which name is Intel Pentium 4 630 and Code Name is Prescott)

-MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,EM64T

-Mainboard: -Motherboard:

-Manufacturer: ASUStek Computer INC.

-Model: P5GD2-X

-BIOS:

-American Megatrends Inc. (version 1006.001)

was this what you were looking for?

To be honest, it is much easier if you start with hack installation. When you have successfully with hack installation then you can try retail installation. I can provide/redirect you which kexts do you need to build your custom BOOT-132 but it will too much because some kexts may not suitable with your hardware. Try with iPC, iDeneb or any other release.

If you're stubborn & still want retail setup, please read this additional threads:-

Boot-132 Loaders for Retail Vanilla Leopard Install in a Disk Partition

Boot-132 Dual-Booting Retail Leopard & WinXP

[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better

Tips: 1st & 2nd link very much related, so read both carefully. It helps you boot with original Mac OS X DVD. The 3rd link is when you have successfully installed retail Mac OS X (don't be confused because after installation it will said unsuccessful but it actually successful, it just unable to set it bootable).

kizwan

Standard rule is: If it is gray then it is restore, is it has an leopard logo on it it is retail install dvd. I assume that it is a restore disk, whilst it says MacBook install DVD. To be sure, attach a picture.

Thanks. Considering what you just said, it appears to be a Restore Disk even tho it says "Mac OS X Install DVD" on its cover. There is no Leopard Logo, only greyness.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting OS X Leopard (Retail) on my Eee PC 1000he. I've created a boot-123 image with the kexts you download from here: http://smallcomputing.net/2009/02/25/how-t...1000he-netbook/ however when I insert the OS X disk (For installation) the grey apple appears but then stalls.

Nothing happens when the grey apple is there, no spinner (Loading), no DVD access.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'm guessing I don't have the correct Kexts.

-v -x -s -f returns a message about the buffer (Guessing graphics).

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting OS X Leopard (Retail) on my Eee PC 1000he. I've created a boot-123 image with the kexts you download from here: http://smallcomputing.net/2009/02/25/how-t...1000he-netbook/ however when I insert the OS X disk (For installation) the grey apple appears but then stalls.

Nothing happens when the grey apple is there, no spinner (Loading), no DVD access.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'm guessing I don't have the correct Kexts.

-v -x -s -f returns a message about the buffer (Guessing graphics).

Normally it is not the graphics, as long as it can use any of the VESA modes, which is supported by nearly any configuration. Are you sure that the -v bootflag doesn't give you an 'still waiting for root device error'?

Hi guys,

I've tried to read as much as I could and I still have a problem. I burned a CD with the generic Boot132. I boot with this CD, I swap the CD with the Leopard 10.5.6 Retail disc and hit Enter. The problem is I get stuck at the Leopard Wallpaper with the beach spinning ball. At that point it does nothing anymore, just spins forever (the cursor).

I have patched the bios of my mobo (ASUS P5Q SE) and enabled SATA as AHCI. I have a SATA optical drive.

Could it be that I need a custom Boot132?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Hi guys,

I've tried to read as much as I could and I still have a problem. I burned a CD with the generic Boot132. I boot with this CD, I swap the CD with the Leopard 10.5.6 Retail disc and hit Enter. The problem is I get stuck at the Leopard Wallpaper with the beach spinning ball. At that point it does nothing anymore, just spins forever (the cursor).

I have patched the bios of my mobo (ASUS P5Q SE) and enabled SATA as AHCI. I have a SATA optical drive.

Could it be that I need a custom Boot132?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Could be all sorts of things. Press F8 directly after hitting enter to boot from the retail dvd. Use bootflag -f and see where it gets stuck. Report back here.

Normally it is not the graphics, as long as it can use any of the VESA modes, which is supported by nearly any configuration. Are you sure that the -v bootflag doesn't give you an 'still waiting for root device error'?

I can't see any errors mate.

Starting to bug me now.

I'm tempted to take the HDD out of the Eee PC an put it into my Macbook (Unibody) as I did to install OS X and install all the kexts and fixes (Including ACPI fix and then try boot.

What do you reckon?

A bit of progress:

I went ahead and put my Eee PC HDD into my Macbook. Added a boot loader and all required kexts from http://eeemac.blogspot.com/2009/03/install...a-901-1000.html

No real progress other than adding cpus=1 on boot seems to allow the loading spinner to show -- so now I'm stuck on a grey apple loading screen with a loading spinner but as far as I can see no other output or HDD access.

Any thoughts guys? Help much appreciated.

A bit of progress:

I went ahead and put my Eee PC HDD into my Macbook. Added a boot loader and all required kexts from http://eeemac.blogspot.com/2009/03/install...a-901-1000.html

No real progress other than adding cpus=1 on boot seems to allow the loading spinner to show -- so now I'm stuck on a grey apple loading screen with a loading spinner but as far as I can see no other output or HDD access.

Any thoughts guys? Help much appreciated.

Why do you need to put "all required kexts" in your macbook? Boot with -v to see where it stuck.

Could be all sorts of things. Press F8 directly after hitting enter to boot from the retail dvd. Use bootflag -f and see where it gets stuck. Report back here.

By "bootflag -f" you mean just write "-f" and then press Enter, right? I did just that and after all that text scrolls I immediately get the aurora background with the spinning beach ball and it hangs there, no DVD action anymore. It just spins the DVD every couple of minutes for some seconds and then nothing.

I don't know how to catch the last line of the scrolling text before the background appears; I just don't have time.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Why do you need to put "all required kexts" in your macbook? Boot with -v to see where it stuck.

For the Eeepc to boot. -v just outputs everything as expected (no errors) and stops at the frame buffer error.

Any thoughts?

For the Eeepc to boot. -v just outputs everything as expected (no errors) and stops at the frame buffer error.

Any thoughts?

I thought that you try to boot real macbook with Eeepc harddisk (installed with OS X), because if it is, all the kexts should be vanilla kexts.

Can you post the screenshot of the output?

I took the hard disk out off the eeepc and put it in my MacBookto install OS X. The HDD is now back in the eeepc.

I can't get a screen shot ATM but it just gets to saying about the frame buffer and then nothing.

Why does that make you think the issue is?

The problem is another person has done it this way and it works, just not for me. The only difference being I swapped my wireless card.

Cheers.

I tried disconnecting one of my 2 SATA HDD and I don't get any error when booting with -v -f. Again, it hangs at the wallpaper with the spinning beach ball. Even my mouse works, it seems it just does not properly load the installer all the way.

Maybe I will try to make a picture of the last lines before the wallpaper comes in.

Thank you so much for all your help.

I have OSX 10.5.6 installed on my Gateway P-6860FX laptop.

But I have a couple of problems I hope someone can help me with:

No Keyboard (I have to use an external usb keyboard, internal is not detected)

No Sound

I did manage to get everything installed so far but i'm still new to the Mac OS X.

I only used Windows before so please be kindly and explain what I need to do.

If you need more info please ask and please tell me how do i go by getting it also.

So far what I installed:

System boots from the HDD now, doot cd is no longer needed.

Mouse

Video card

Some software like VLC Player.

Hi.Im new here and new about oxs.I burned 123 i booted and im getting "still waiting for root device" on retail leopard.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name

System Manufacturer MSI

System Model MS-7346

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.2, 27.07.2007

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

DVD-ASUS DRW-1608P3S ATA Device

HDD-WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SCSI Disk Device

PS. I didnt see any msi p6n sli v2 modified boot 123.Actually i didnt see any msi boot 123.

Need a little help...

I Downloaded a CD image here but i need to add a couple of KEXT files to initrd.img file.

Currently its 10MB, is there a way to resize it to like 15MB or something like that.

CD name: boot-dfe-146-bum

I have tried to mount it and add the files to it, but every time i get error not enough space.

Also I cant get the following hardware to work:

Internal Keyboard (laptop, currently using ext usb keyboard)

No battery indicator

Webcam does not work (but light turns on)

Sound works

Video works

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roman

lspci.txt

Hi.Im new here and new about oxs.I burned 123 i booted and im getting "still waiting for root device" on retail leopard.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name

System Manufacturer MSI

System Model MS-7346

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.2, 27.07.2007

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

DVD-ASUS DRW-1608P3S ATA Device

HDD-WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SCSI Disk Device

PS. I didnt see any msi p6n sli v2 modified boot 123.Actually i didnt see any msi boot 123.

I have the same problem as noted on this page http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...25438&st=60

I think we may want to look into the "Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X, from Galaxy" located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129834

I'm fairly new here too and really new to the boot132 but from what I can tell and will find out tonight is if we build our own boot132 disks with the proper kexts (drivers) we should still be able to install the retail disk. I have installed Kalyway and iPC just fine after some minor bios tweaks and selected the right kexts from those hacked install discs so unless I'm missing something the same should be possible with the slimbuild boot132 concept. Anyone else care to confirm or reject my theory?

I think we may want to look into the "Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X, from Galaxy" located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129834

I'm fairly new here too and really new to the boot132 but from what I can tell and will find out tonight is if we build our own boot132 disks with the proper kexts (drivers) we should still be able to install the retail disk. I have installed Kalyway and iPC just fine after some minor bios tweaks and selected the right kexts from those hacked install discs so unless I'm missing something the same should be possible with the slimbuild boot132 concept. Anyone else care to confirm or reject my theory?

It doesn't matter which BOOT-132 CD/ISO/USB did you use because the success of retail installation depends on which/what kexts do you need. If you have successful with hack install (Kalyway, iPC & etc) then it is possible too with retail install. What you need to do is to gather all kexts (patch, driver & etc) that you need from your hack install & put it in the BOOT-132 CD/ISO/USB. Pay attention which patch/driver did you chose when installing hack because this is the one you need. Keep in mind some kexts can't load from Extra folder for example AppleHDA.kext. This kexts need to be placed in /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Good luck. :(

kizwan

hello guys ...

I want to Boot From OS X directly !

at the moment I use 132 Boot CD ! I dont want to use CD AND no USB STICK !

want to boot directly ... who must I bring this 132 files to the HDD ? what is to do ?

You are probaby using a cd connected via a JMicron controller.