OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

The Advent has the same Realtek RTL8187SE as the MSI.My webcam works fine in PhotoBooth, though I'm having a little trouble with ethernet. If I boot with a network cable connected, it works fine. If I plug a cable after boot, Network Preferences just reports that no cable is connected. Is it working correctly for you?

i know that wasnt directed at me but i figured i would give my input.

oddly enough im the exact opposite. photobooth crash and hangs and my network port/cabling is perfectly fine.can plug/uplug as much as i like with out a hitch. im using leo4all v3 if it makes any difference ( on an advent brand )

The Advent has the same Realtek RTL8187SE as the MSI.My webcam works fine in PhotoBooth, though I'm having a little trouble with ethernet. If I boot with a network cable connected, it works fine. If I plug a cable after boot, Network Preferences just reports that no cable is connected. Is it working correctly for you?

Try playing around with the ip adress settings. works for me most of the time.

i know that wasnt directed at me but i figured i would give my input.oddly enough im the exact opposite. photobooth crash and hangs and my network port/cabling is perfectly fine.can plug/uplug as much as i like with out a hitch. im using leo4all v3 if it makes any difference ( on an advent brand )
I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2, also on an Advent. I've just tried leo4all but have hit the problem where it freezes at the "do you already have a Mac" page and then loops back to the Welcome page. It seems that others have the same problem, so I'm just heading off to see if I can find a solution.
Try playing around with the ip adress settings. works for me most of the time.
I'll have another fiddle and see if I can get it working. Since you say that it works "most of the time", does that mean you're otherwise having similar problems?

I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2, also on an Advent. I've just tried leo4all but have hit the problem where it freezes at the "do you already have a Mac" page and then loops back to the Welcome page. It seems that others have the same problem, so I'm just heading off to see if I can find a solution.I'll have another fiddle and see if I can get it working. Since you say that it works "most of the time", does that mean you're otherwise having similar problems?

i did have that problem,exactly the same but didnt think anything of it. started a new install and all was ok. i just put it down to choosing a vanilla kernal or something without paying attention.

Pity speedstep and waking successfully from sleep are mutually exclusive, the battery life on a OSX'd Wind is pretty horrible.

Any tips for optimising a hackintosh for battery usage?

Don't forget with every new rechargeable battery it takes 3 to 5 complete charges for the battery to really stabilize and have longer life. I've just seen last week on my new cell phone...the first full charge lasted about 8 hours of light talk use. Now a full charge lasts about three days with light talk use.

Best,

John

What kind of battery life are you guys seeing? 3-cell or 6-cell battery?
Right now all the machines have 3-cell batteries as there is a shortage on the 6-cell versions, as far as I understand. I was told purchasing a new 6-cell (later on) will run about US$60 or less.

Will give info on battery life as soon as I can get this thing booting without a loop. Trying the speedstep kernel now.

Edit: Didn't work. Endless loop. Stuck. Yet another reinstall.

From what I have read, it seems that if you don't have any network access at all, it will get stuck in a loop, as the next step is a network check. Seems you need to have a working wifi card or an ethernet cable plugged in. Will see if that does it. Anyone out there that can verify this?

Here's a list of what I've got checked on the Kalyway 10.5.2 AMD / Intel DVD in case anyone can help out:

Additional Fonts

kernel_vanilla_92

GMA950

AppleOnboardPCATA

AppleGenericPCATA

macam_iusbcam

Lastnetkassmbios

PCGEnUSB_Fix

Powermanagment_Bundle

This time I'm trying with the this checked as well and an ethernet cable plugged in, mainly because it registers an MAC address when booting from the DVD with this extension. I'm expecting a kernel panic or failure to boot, but I'll try it anyway:

RealtekR1000

Will post again with results. Has anyone fixed the loop on theirs yet? I'm going by the directions on the wind-osx86 wiki, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong exactly.... From what I can tell, he had the Dell 1390 card installed before adding Leopard, so that may be the dealbreaker.

SUCCESS! I think the Realtek Extension did it.

Working:

Sound through the speakers - had to use azalia (no input / output through plugs - tried linux dump, nothing)

Sleep (installed clamshell.kext, must use gma drivers from google - 0x27ae - for it to work)

Webcam (photobooth + effects - little laggy, but works)

Core Image / Quartz Extreme (gma drivers) - full resolution

SD Card Slot

USB 2.0 (disable legacy support)

Not working:

Wifi

Microphone

Not tested / Unknown / Odd:

Ethernet

Some keys mismapped (alt / windows)

Bluetooth (must be turned on via function keys - odd behaviors)

Anything anybody wants tested? Will do a battery test tonight, and need to buy an ethernet cable for that test.

BIOS: 1.05

Geekbench 2.0.17: 912

RAM: 1 GB

meteparozzi - thanks for the dump, just tried it with patcher 1.20.

While the patcher appeared to do it's 'thang', no sound from internal speakers or headphones :)

Any ideas? Do I need to do anything else other than just run the patcher? (10.5.4)

P

I'm going to build a custom install disc for this laptop. I'm getting some help to get the WLAN working and what not. If anyone with this laptop is interested in helping me, please PM me.

-Stell

Great idea!! Though I think a TIGER install disk would be even better (seems more appropriate, faster for the machine IMHO)

Code received, and it's working! Machine is stepping between 798MHz and 1596MHz!;)

One more step on the path towards the perfect Apple netbook B)

P

What kind of battery life are you looking at with this new application installed ?

You mentioned 90 min on a 3 cell battery... kind of short IMHO.

meteparozzi - thanks for the dump, just tried it with patcher 1.20.

While the patcher appeared to do it's 'thang', no sound from internal speakers or headphones :D

Any ideas? Do I need to do anything else other than just run the patcher? (10.5.4)

P

Tried it but couldn't get it to work. Probably have to wait for the 2.0 patcher perhaps. I'll see if another linux dump won't work.

Battery life between 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the settings. Ran it to dead and the percentage estimate is exactly on as it just f'ing turned off. Will charge it all the way up (watch out for battery memory) and see if it isn't a bit longer this time, especially with the speedstep turned on (though I don't think it actually works).

Fixed the resolution reset problem with SwitchResX. You can add that as a default value. Seems to work fine.

Now, what is the generic name of the Dell 1390 or the chipset as I would like to pick one up here in Taiwan but Dell doesn't have any presence here at all.

All in all I'm very satisfied with this thing, but a 6-cell battery is almost necessary for decent use. Haven't tried the VGA out, anyone got that working or any thoughts? Would love to get the sound up too, but I can deal. Going to go for the 10.5.3 upgrade tomorrow. Haven't seen much info on going to 10.5.4......

Edit: Okay, I'm going to go and pick up an Ralink RT2790 and have it installed along with some RAM. This is confirmed working right, with some drivers????

If anyone can confirm, let me know ASAP before I drop some bills on something I don't need.