OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

A quick question about the performance of this machine, do you think it would be good for listening to music, moderate document creation, and heavy internet usage? I'm looking for a replacement for my laptop and think this would be the perfect machine. :(

I'm basically going to use this thing for what I use my desktop for, I don't play any games or encode any media on my machines, so do you think this is capable for what I would be buying it for?

Sure wish this thing would hurry up and become readily available here in the States. Rumor was it was shipping today, but I heard no news regarding shipping units today and the MSI site still states "Unavailable".

I'm really itching to give my first Hackintosh a go... :(

Hey GUYS LISTEN UP!!!!??? DOES SLEEP WORK

lolz...I've asked like 10 times!~~~~

From Post#65 in this thread:

There is a kext called ClamshellDisplay.kext that fixes this! Sleep works with the lid closed. If you check the wiki its under the rebadged MSI Wind section.

There are several posts about sleep on page 4 (assuming you're using 30 posts/page). But to answer your question succinctly...yes, apparently.

Here's a driver that is supposedly for the Netgear WG111v3 (which uses the 8187 chipset): ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/87_Mac10.4_v1309.zip

Someone want to try it out to see if it gets the WiFi working (*crosses fingers*)...? (I also noticed that it is supposedly for 10.4, but I'd say give it a shot.)

EDIT: In fact, you could try poking around in this directory: ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/ ... who knows, maybe something will work...I see a few 8187 references (though I think the Wind has 8187SE, which I don't see...)

Here's a driver that is supposedly for the Netgear WG111v3 (which uses the 8187 chipset): ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/87_Mac10.4_v1309.zip

Someone want to try it out to see if it gets the WiFi working (*crosses fingers*)...? (I also noticed that it is supposedly for 10.4, but I'd say give it a shot.)

EDIT: In fact, you could try poking around in this directory: ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/ ... who knows, maybe something will work...I see a few 8187 references (though I think the Wind has 8187SE, which I don't see...)

Tried the first link. Nothing. Downloaded a few others, but I believe they are the same Realtek drivers others have referenced. I'd say you should refer it to someone with a little .kext hacking experience.

Couldn't get the Ralink 2790, had to place a special request at a local shop and crossing my fingers.

Hey GUYS LISTEN UP!!!!??? DOES SLEEP WORK

lolz...I've asked like 10 times!~~~~

Yep, sleep works, from install it will work from the sleep buttons and using the clamshelll kext will sleep from closing the lid. to wake him up just tap the power button. good enough for me :)

Here's the linux driver for the Realtek RTL8187SE wifi card present in the base Wind model. It isn't available on their site, had to go through Ubuntu Dev Forums to get it. If anyone knows what to do with it, the tools are in your hands.

By the way, how did you update to 10.5.4? I just went up to 10.5.3 using the Kalyway release and it killed my system.

Failed to load extension com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI

rtl8187se_linux_26.1012.0331.2008.tar.gz.tar

A quick question about the performance of this machine, do you think it would be good for listening to music, moderate document creation, and heavy internet usage? I'm looking for a replacement for my laptop and think this would be the perfect machine. :) I'm basically going to use this thing for what I use my desktop for, I don't play any games or encode any media on my machines, so do you think this is capable for what I would be buying it for?

Yes, perfect!

Hey GUYS LISTEN UP!!!!??? DOES SLEEP WORKlolz...I've asked like 10 times!~~~~

Good attitude, yes, sleep works fine.

Here's the linux driver for the Realtek RTL8187SE wifi card present in the base Wind model. It isn't available on their site, had to go through Ubuntu Dev Forums to get it. If anyone knows what to do with it, the tools are in your hands.By the way, how did you update to 10.5.4? I just went up to 10.5.3 using the Kalyway release and it killed my system.Failed to load extension com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI

10.5.2 kalyway DVD, 10.5.3 kalyway update (remember to install vanilla kernel before reboot and do update -v at restart) then 10.5.4 from software update.

P

10.5.2 kalyway DVD, 10.5.3 kalyway update (remember to install vanilla kernel before reboot and do update -v at restart) then 10.5.4 from software update.

P

Did that and the system failed. Did you have the PCGenUSB_Fix checked in your initial install? I think that's what may have caused the problems.

Did that and the system failed. Did you have the PCGenUSB_Fix checked in your initial install? I think that's what may have caused the problems.

No... I unchecked everything except GMA950, vanilla kernel and the powermanagement bundle IIRC.

P

Yeah, looks like the USB works just fine without it.

Now trying to upgrade. Fingers crossed.

Totally not worth it - had to reinstall all the drivers, lost my menu battery and when I tried to bring it back, massive kernel panic upon reboot. I suspect the panic may have been because I updated the Airport Utility, but all in all, just nasty.

Not giving up yet though.

So Paul, you just ran the 10.5.2 kalyway DVD, installed the 10.5.3 kalyway update and then added 10.5.4 from software update? No intermediary steps? Did you install the GMA drivers and whatnot after you got to 10.5.4?

I feel like I'm missing something here or I'm just doing things in the wrong order...

Didn't install anything until I was 10.5.4 IIRC. I've done it a few times now, no problems, no panics!

Airport Utility update no problem too.

I'm gonna do a step by step guide!

Those drives are for RALINK cards, not the REALTEK in the Wind and Advent.

P

Didn't install anything until I was 10.5.4 IIRC. I've done it a few times now, no problems, no panics!

Airport Utility update no problem too.

I'm gonna do a step by step guide!

Those drives are for RALINK cards, not the REALTEK in the Wind and Advent.

P

Ah, I see where I went wrong then. 5th time is a charm. Will report back on how it goes.

And for the latecomers, on the MSI Wind (not the other OEM clones):

sleep works

the speakers work

CI / QE work

the webcam works

Ethernet works

wifi doesn't work (and there aren't any drivers, period)

the mic / input / output don't work

VGA output might work?