Will you buy it?

33 posts in this topic

Well, Apple is already working on their newest version of OS X?

This makes me wonder something.

I think Apple was a little worried of Micro$ofts new version of Window$, whih is coming out the same time that Apple plans to release Snow Leopard.

Microsoft had big plans for Windows 7, but now that their biggest plan to change Windows for the better(?) is no longer being used. But what was their biggest change?

Consumers and businesses crushed Vista at how much of a memory hog it was. They were very unhappy at it mainly because of nothing improved in Vista, but a basic change in UI. But for a simple change of UI, you would need to upgrade your current PC to the max. And for a simple UI, adjustment. Do you really want or need Vista?

All that aside. Windows 7 was supposedly going to have a stripped down kernel and make it so your computer only needed a 100Mhz CPU, 64mb of RAM and a very little hard drive. They dubbed the kernel "MinWIN" But you know what a new Windows kernel means. If the next version of Windows has a completely different kernel than WinFS, it won't work with Boot Camp ;) .

Boot Camp has helped Apple A WHOLE LOT in the Mac market. Boot Camp allowed you to run ANY OS of ANY kind right on your Mac. Since Mac is 100% legally multi-platform, and PC is only 99.99% multi-platform(Will not run OS X legally). The good choice for a computer is a Mac.

Apple noticed Microsofts plans for Windows 7, and probably began to worry that this next version of Windows might just ruin Mac OS X. But now that Microsoft isn't using the new kernel any more; What Does Apple Have to Worry?

Microsoft is going back to the basic Windows Vista kernel instead of MinWin. Yep, the same kernel being used for Windows Vista. If Microsoft keeps this up... there might not be a Windows for much longer...

I'm not sure what Vista has to do with Snow Leopard, but if you ask me if I would buy Snow Leopard when it's out I say: yes!

Reasons? Well, Snow Leopard should be much more optimized for the 8 cores in my Mac Pro and 100% 64bit, which should speed up this beast here under my desk a bit more.

My 50cents on Vista? Tried it several times on my PCs and honestly - I hate it! It's kinda uncomfortable and even my wife who likes it before is now running a Hackintosh instead of any Windows (ok - we installed VMWare Fusion for her games and this runs great on the Opteron-Hackmac).

I hope that Snow Leopard will be free, and I believe it will be. Why? Well, first off, if this is just an optimization version of OS X and no new features are added, why wouldn't you just wait until the next OS X version (10.7) to get the optimization AND the new features? If Apple charges anything substantial for this release (more than $20), I think a lot of people will just skip this version all together.

Snow Leopard will be just an update to leopard so why will be more than 50$ for Example?.

i think Apple will make something Great in Snow Leopard CERTAINLY.

QuickTime X will support WMV and AVI? :(

anyway i will buy it only if it will be less than 60 or 70$ i think this is enough for leopard update.

Khaled.:(

Consumers and businesses crushed Vista at how much of a memory hog it was. They were very unhappy at it mainly because of nothing improved in Vista, but a basic change in UI. But for a simple change of UI, you would need to upgrade your current PC to the max. And for a simple UI, adjustment. Do you really want or need Vista?

All that aside. Windows 7 was supposedly going to have a stripped down kernel and make it so your computer only needed a 100Mhz CPU, 64mb of RAM and a very little hard drive. They dubbed the kernel "MinWIN" But you know what a new Windows kernel means. If the next version of Windows has a completely different kernel than WinFS, it won't work with Boot Camp :D .

Vista is more than an UI change. They rewrote a lot of stacks (network, audio, video), they improved the memory management (yeah, a lot of things are cached in memory, that's why people call Vista a "memory hog") and created a new toolkit (WPF).

And MinWin is not a new kernel, it's in Vista and Server 2008 too. They are just making it more and more modular with each new Windows release. By using the Vista/2008 kernel, they want to make sure Windows 7 is going to run very well on Vista-capable computers.

Oh, and isn't Boot Camp just translating BIOS calls into EFI calls? Even if they made a new kernel, it would still boot on a Mac, if it supported EFI :).

So Microsoft and Apple are doing the same thing: they optimize their current version and add 2 or 3 new features. Apple has nothing to fear of.

From what I've seen so far, SL looks like it'll be a great release. I've got a MacBook (black, penryn), and any more performance I can squeeze out of it is fantastic.

I think it'll be $69 - it's not enough for a full release, but more than a free upgrade. It's the same price as iWork, which is fine.

Oh, and WinFS isn't a kernel. It's a relational database-based filesystem. It was removed because it performed badly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the features being added to snow leopard don't necessarily equal monetary value. Quicktime has been free forever, so i doubt they will charge for the new one. As for multi-core optimization and the ability to use 16 terabytes of ram, big whoop. Who has 16 terabytes of ram in one machine? NASA?

I also thought 64 bit was already present in OSX since the G5's, don't get why this is a big deal. Also, the kernel in OSx i thought already supported multicore very well. I've noticed my laptop performs tasks very well on 10.5.4, i would like to see the snow leopard on this to actually view the difference first hand. When are the betas due?

On the flip side, I did see some of windows 7 features. Some of the stuff is a direct iphone/macbook air ripoff (multi-touch zoom), but it definitely seems like a more "finished" OS than vista was/is. I do like vista, better ram and video management. Direct x 10 is a definite improvement.

Anyone share my opinion on snow leopard being overrated? sorry, I just seem to fail to see the value of a few tweaks being a giant release.

• 2 weeks later...

privatesnuffy, what people mean is that SL will be FULLY 64-bit. Yes, 64-bit has been included in osx for a while now, but it would only use it if it was on a compatible cpu, meaning it was 32-bit, but it could use the 64-bit instructions for other tasks. SL will be entirely in 64-bit and hopefuly emulate 32-bit instructions for "legacy" programs, just like ppc and rosetta.

Also, i share some of the same views as you on vista. Sure, better management of things is a plus, but it was just rushed and unpolished.

I wish they'd use the mini kernel, since a some of the DSL and Feather Linux users might switch. I don't get why no one has patched snow leopard yet, a Mac Developer leaked the code out on some torrent site. (At least I heard)

They are idiots for not using MinWin. They keep trying to improve their OS by using the same old components, but it doesn't get them anywhere. It's like putting on 5-year-old, worn-out clothes and adding some shiny stickers to make them look good, then going out in public and expecting to be taken seriously.

Anyway, nothing Micro{censored} makes can compare to the the quality of an Apple product unless they make some major strategy changes. Plus, Apple has momentum thanks to all the switchers of the Vista era.

My advice to Microsoft: when you are in deep {censored}, stop digging.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Vista is more than an UI change. They rewrote a lot of stacks (network, audio, video), they improved the memory management (yeah, a lot of things are cached in memory, that's why people call Vista a "memory hog") and created a new toolkit (WPF).

And MinWin is not a new kernel, it's in Vista and Server 2008 too. They are just making it more and more modular with each new Windows release. By using the Vista/2008 kernel, they want to make sure Windows 7 is going to run very well on Vista-capable computers.

Oh, and isn't Boot Camp just translating BIOS calls into EFI calls? Even if they made a new kernel, it would still boot on a Mac, if it supported EFI ;).

So Microsoft and Apple are doing the same thing: they optimize their current version and add 2 or 3 new features. Apple has nothing to fear of.

yeah the OP is very very misinformed. But he probobly gets all his info from the mac commercials. LOL

I will not buy snow leopard.

I'm not sure what Vista has to do with Snow Leopard, but if you ask me if I would buy Snow Leopard when it's out I say: yes!

Reasons? Well, Snow Leopard should be much more optimized for the 8 cores in my Mac Pro and 100% 64bit, which should speed up this beast here under my desk a bit more.

My 50cents on Vista? Tried it several times on my PCs and honestly - I hate it! It's kinda uncomfortable and even my wife who likes it before is now running a Hackintosh instead of any Windows (ok - we installed VMWare Fusion for her games and this runs great on the Opteron-Hackmac).

My wife hates osx.... dammn! i had to put back vista in our toshiba and use it only as usb drive...wich works also for my travelmate 6410 "office pc" heh!

I still dont understand this Leopard, is half way betw tiger and the real leopard (snow!)

• 2 weeks later...