Metric Or Imperial

Metric or Imperial  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• Metric
    • Imperial

16 posts in this topic

metric! It makes measurement so easy. A measurement system with 10-base is so much easier to understand than one as archaic and confusing as the American Customary system (borrowed from the imperial system, almost the same).

Example:

Metric:

1KM = 1,000M = 100,000CM = 1,000,000 mm

US Customary:

1 mile = 1760yd = 5280ft = 63,360 Inches (then each inch is broken down into __ /16th of an inch)

I am just going to go ahead and throw this out there, the American customary system, the system I have been forced to use growing up in this country is {censored}. We should all be on metric right now, were just too stubborn to admit that our way (the US) of measuring is outdated.

I am just going to go ahead and throw this out there, the American customary system, the system I have been forced to use growing up in this country is {censored}. We should all be on metric right now, were just too stubborn to admit that our way (the US) of measuring is outdated.

lol, I don't think it's American to admit it is outdated. :D

Although I live in Canada and grew up being taught the metric system, in day to day uses I use the Imperial type system more.

(Part of the reason is living on the border with the US and most media is American feeds.)

For temperatures above freezing I use the Imperial measurements, for temps below I use Metric.

For distances, speed, volume I use metric, but for things like construction I still use Imperial measurements.

(Most structures are still based on Imperial measurements, for example 16" spaced studs and when you buy lumber its still all labeled 2"x4"s etc.)

I vote Metric.

Imperial barely makes sense even though I was raised with it. Metric is so simple, no odd splits or other {censored} you have to deal with. :D

Definetely Metric.

I was rose in Metric system. I was high like three apples and the teacher in front of the class said: "All in choir 1 centimeter equal 1 000 milimeters. 1 000 meters equal 1 kilometers!" Hell yeah.. and I go back to school and my dad said to me "Hey Frank remember that measure 16'' 1/2' " and I was uhhh dad what the hell is that?!?!

I'm only 19 I know but, after all these trips aroud the US and the Canada, I found myself in Metric!

For distances, speed, volume I use metric, but for things like construction I still use Imperial measurements.

(Most structures are still based on Imperial measurements, for example 16" spaced studs and when you buy lumber its still all labeled 2"x4"s etc.)

I approved your affirmation Headrush!

And you :( ?

Both I like the simplicity of Metric but a few things will always be Imperial for me body height & weight, distance and beer will always be Imperial for me.

The day Pubs start selling 0.568 litres of Carling is a day I invade Brussels.

They could sell half a litre, it is so intuitive :P

Anyway, metric all the way for me. I was born in a country where we use only metric, and I had to do so much conversion in the UK.

I was raised in the US but several years living abroad taught me the benefits of the metric system. Over time, I even stopped converting everything to English units and started gauging weight and distance in metric units. As a child, I recall the half-hearted push to adopt the metric system. Too bad we didn't. It would have saved untold amounts of money... including at least one Mars probe. *laugh*

They could sell half a litre, it is so intuitive :(

Anyway, metric all the way for me. I was born in a country where we use only metric, and I had to do so much conversion in the UK.

Oi I don't want less beer in my glass TYVM

Otherwise in general both. I have no problem with SI (Metric) or imperial.

Ummm I think pretty much all Americans here are on the same opinion. We want to use metric but we know imperial too well. I'm starting to make the switch though by way of temperature and distance....

Idk if I ever will get weight though.