why should i mac?

33 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

im a windows die hard fangeek, but i had first decided to come here because i was intrigued in the complexity of the project in installing osx86. however, i must ask everybody: why should i use my hackinmac? i mean, im satisfied with my pc, i have antivirus, photoshop, video editing (premiere), etc. im more of a geek than an artist, so why should i use the OS with the pretty little face instead of its core - a linux ubuntu. i mean, one of the actual reasons was because i like this game called reckless drivin', and its not for windows (nor can i find something similar to it), but otherwise, why? why should i use a mac instead of a windows or a linux?

~Cremey geek

i have antivirus, photoshop, video editing (premiere)

Antivirus- not needed nearly as much as Windows

Photoshop- runs fine on both. No argument there

Video editing- iMovie anyone? Or FCP.

The main switch per-say for you would be productivity, (to me at least) it's so much easier to get around on a Mac, whether getting to different files, apps, or windows.

For me, it was initially curiousity. Then I found OS X to actually be a superior OS and just stuck with it...Try it, you might like it. It has a unified feel that neither Linux nor Windows give. Unlike Linux it has all the commercial software you might need, like Photoshop and MS Office.

But it's really a matter of personal preference, I could list many reasons why I prefer OS X, but many people stick to windows, and they have their reasons, while others love Linux the most.

So give it a shot and make up your own mind.

why should i use the OS with the pretty little face instead of its core - a linux ubuntu.

First of the core of OS X is not Ubuntu or Linux and ubuntu is linux but linux is not ubuntu, there r way better distros out there.

Mac OS X is based on Darwin which is based on freeBSD, Next and some Apple code along its own GUI called Aqua.

OS X is a certified Unix operating system, linux is unix like.

Mac OS X is Unix whereas linux is a clone of Unix.

For me, it was initially curiousity. Then I found OS X to actually be a superior OS and just stuck with it...Try it, you might like it. It has a unified feel that neither Linux nor Windows give. Unlike Linux it has all the commercial software you might need, like Photoshop and MS Office.

But it's really a matter of personal preference, I could list many reasons why I prefer OS X, but many people stick to windows, and they have their reasons, while others love Linux the most.

So give it a shot and make up your own mind.

sure...i need some reasons on why i should keep mac after it (if successfully) installs on my hackintosh...

well, my questions kind of nulled for now...i tried installing kalyway leop '.1 on my ecs g33t-m2 based computer last night - screwed up the whole thing significantly. first, the gray apple screen doesnt load, because darwin (the black and white screen) tries to load, and reboots. after that, i found out my mbr was corrupted (think by kalyway), so i had to use a ubuntu livecd to boot off and fix it using ms-sys in terminal! so yeah, i guess now i wait till august to get a compatible laptop (im actually trying to get reccomendations for that here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=108614)

I used to use Adobe Premiere Pro on both OS'es.

Mac's Adobe is about 5-10% faster on my Dell Dimension 9200,

The real speed difference is on my HP DV6716ez Laptop my editing takes about 3/4 the time!(its still slow, but much faster) this convinced me to switch over completely about 3 months ago!

I still run win2000 in VMware to run my Polar watch training software with access to the IR, even here it runs win2000 faster than a native install!

SticMAN

*smiles* i read that already...not very convincing though heheh. i was pestering my art teacher why he likes his mac(book) so much, and i got a ton of answers that is not even close to getting me loyal to apple, but makes me more passionate about finding a computer that i can finally do some kind of osx86-ing on

Why did I buy a Mac? Because it pisses you off less, I guess, except when it comes to file management and printing options. I got really sick of Windows always becoming jerky when it really had work to do, whereas OS X doesn't even so much as flinch when it comes to excessive multitasking. Plus, whenever I need something only Windows can offer, I just hit the WinXP-Button in my Dock and VMware Fusion pops up - and I have a Windows taskbar just beneath my dock and can do whatever I want in Windows without really noticing things are just emulated in terms of speed and usability. I love FrontRow and the Apple remote in general, use it all the time and never use my TV any more really (though that is due to the fact that downloading ain't illegal in Switzerland, too ;)). It's just a perfect, neat package of pretty much everything I'll ever need. I know you could probably set up this whole stuff on a Windows machine as well, but I have been a Windows user for so long I know one thing: It would be a serious pain in the *** and probably never get the feel of a truly seamlessly integrated system. Plus, if you'd count the time I'd have to spend on it to get it working, an Apple computer still'd be way cheaper :D

I did, too, and still would appreciate more possibilities to tweak and configure stuff. Still, I like it way more than Windows. Just like I said: I'm no fanboy, I don't think it's perfect (it ain't, they need proper deinstallation routines and stuff and I still don't get why I cannot cut and paste in Finder... B)) - there are many things worth improving and some that drive me nuts on a regular basis :P. It's just that there are way less of these things in OS X than in Windows (to me, it depends on what you like and what's most important to you - personally, I hate having the feeling that my OS isn't _quite_ capable of multitasking as much as it should be, which I get everytime I use Windows extensively with many apps open, and OS X doesn't have that at all ;)

If I were you, I'd just try it and see how you like it. I sincerely do not know anyone who has returned to Windows, though - but I do not know whether that might be due to the fact that you probably won't even try anything else if you're perfectly content with Windows, so who knows...

I love OSX because it's not BROKEN, like Windows. Excuse my rudeness.

QFT

Its a bit ironic that a hacked OS that aint designed for normal pc hardware seems to work a lot smoother than the main OS for a PC. You might have to search around for this kext or that driver with OSX but you still have to do the same with a pc and vista is just a a pain with software/drivers. Also mac osx is way quicker to install than xp or vista literally about 20 minutes where as vista and xp take at least an hour maybe even longer.

The argument that Windows runs more popular software won't hold up any longer. The argument of which platform to choose to do your everyday computing is very subjective- everyone has a different quirk. The technical argument about which is a better OS: Windows, Unix, or Linux? Answer: Windows is dead last.

I used to consider MAC OS prior to OSX was elegant, pretty but seriously underpowered. But I laughed no more ever since they switched to UNIX and applied their clear thinking design philosophy and the GUI to OSX.

Even in the Tiger guise, OSX is leaps and bounds ahead of Vista. Leopard is way out there in front.

Just try to do a new install plus a few applications of your choice and you will see why. Forget about the virus protection or other things that you have been seeing or hearing about. If you claim to be a geek, you will fall in love with it the first day. Then try to reinstall (recovery from scratch with all the applications), you will swear you would never come back to Windows and wonder why all the MS engineers still have a job. I would fire them all. Maybe I am wrong; it may be The Boss. There is only one version of Leopard(other than the server version) for everyone. There are several versions of Vista with one at the top fetching almost $400.

I have never owned a MAC in my life but i have always used them whenever I have a chance. I have so much respect for their design philosophy. I hope SJ have a business one to guide this company into prosperity with 50% market share withing 10 years; just enough time to send the MS empire tumbling. MS already lost the OS battle in smart phone to Blackberry and now OSX iPhone. I hope by then MS will command a whopping market share of ...10%, heheheh.

A dual boot OSX/Vista(or XP) is an indisputable argument where Windows is the unnecessary evil.

I got my first new Mac a couple weeks ago. I've had older ones in the past, but a new Mac is so much more powerful. (obviously)

First of all, OS X is definately more organized. It runs better than Windows, its more "smooth" and responsive. So what if it looks better, that should be a plus. And it doesn't rob your CPU and RAM like Vista Aero or any XP program(object dock/whatever). Besides, if you can still run Windows, what could it hurt?

Im still a heavy PC gamer and I even got Vista Ultimate on my Macbook for games like UT2004(wasn't gonna re-buy the Mac versions). They both have their ups and downs, mainly being you can't run PC games on a Mac and Windows is proned to Viruses and such; but everything else its just as good. Otherwise I would have sold my desktop and bought a new iMac.

maybe why so many people are switching over to the mac side is because not everyone is a linux guru like yourself. Most people like to get things done instead of figuring out how things work (linux) or fixing stuff (windows) most of the time. Its the best hardware and software integration you'll see in a long while to come.

others just love it cause its beautiful and cool

Tried

Whether or not OSX is right for you really depends on you. If you do the things most people do with their computers and want a system that "just works" and you don't want any hassle, OSX is the strongest contender in my opinion.

If you are chained to specific software due to work or whatnot, you are unfortunately tied to whatever software platform it is on until you find alternatives. In this case, the internet is your friend, research diligently and dig up what alternatives there are.

Now if you want the latest doohickys, bells and whistles, and aren't afraid to roll up your sleeves, then the strongest contenders would be Ubuntu Linux and OSX as they are both capable, well maintained, consistant, stable platforms with huge amounts of open source software available. Which of the two you go with will depend on you. OSX is very polished, has better multimedia support in terms of hardware acceleration, and has much commercial software available, and Ubuntu has better hardware support for non-Macintosh computers.

In the case you are tied down with a lot of Windoze software, you really have a job cut out for you. You might want to set up a dual boot computer, adding the platform you are interested in and install Wine. See what software you can run under Wine and see what alternatives to what you have are available. This situation, switching platforms on the fly, is a real pain, but there are things you can do as the arduous transition from one platform to another begins to make it easier.

As you seek alternatives for your current software, choose multiplatform programs like OpenOffice, FireFox and Azureus to reduce the amount of new software you need to learn and acclimatize to. Treat any Windoze software that runs well under Wine as a multiplatform program and try any freely available open source Windoze programs under Wine as more possible multiplatform software.

• 2 weeks later...

Stability.. still crashes, but nowhere near as much.

The fact you can open viruses, and laugh at them.

Looks clean (Opinion i know, but generally speaking its eye candy)

Spotlight is amazing. I havent used the applications folder or icons in months. I just click in spotlight, type 3 letters of the program im lookin for and click enter. And its done. Or any file. Basically even though finders damn good. I havent really used it in a while.

FF3 does look tasty.

Dock grows on you.

The effects are nice, but not overwhelming as in compiz

Some reasons for ya to chew on