10.5.3 Available as an update!

176 posts in this topic

Updated my AMD rig with Kalyway Combo Update and Kaly kernels upd (chose modbin), applied decrypts ans CPUID patches. After several reboots and replacing the Nvidia kexts from 10.5.2 (because 10.5.3 give very poor performace) I finally got it:

Picture_1.jpg

Ok, could someone post (or link me to) a guide which explains which kexts i need to replace, and how to do so? I am too newb at this still. My system specs are in my sig and I am using the Leo4AllV2 .. thanks in advance ...

Problems I need fixed: SATA does not work after 10.5.3 unless in Legacy mode which is slow as hell, no sound, no QE/CI.

Guest ѕиоѡ
iWork 08 stopped working after update to 10.5.3 ;)

Pages, Numbers and Keynote start, but show an empty window and crash shortly after.

All 3 start filling up /var/log/system.log with a loop of this before they crash:

May 29 22:00:34 Hackintosh Keynote[489]: invalid pixel format
May 29 22:00:34 Hackintosh Keynote[489]: invalid context
May 29 22:00:34 Hackintosh Keynote[489]: Exception caught by top level: NSInvalidArgumentException : *** +[NSString stringWithCString:]: NULL cString

Any ideas?

No probs here but it did show the registration window again, must be a coincidence though. The guy who said it needs QE and CI probably is right so check sys profiler if you still have it. Good luck!

10.5.3 broke my vanilla install. Here is what I did wrong: I was following the guide and has used "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done". Just as the installer was finishing, I searched in finder 'appleintel' inside the extensions folder. Everything froze. I'm assuming thats what caused the freeze, as everything was working fine until I searched that.

I'm posting this so everyone can avoid making this mistake =(

Heck, this is a very good post, erei33 :wacko: although I have already updated mine without the mistake. Thanks for sharing the experience.

This update disabled QE/CI for me. Fix below:

Update: I installed the NATIT_gfnvidia (attached) package off of the Kalyway DVD to get QE/CI back on both monitors. I got rid of NVinject completely.

1-Try removing NVinject by going to terminal and typing:

-->sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

2-And then installing this package (Natit Installer) reboot. If you have QE/CI back then you are done. If not try this method: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry761801

This method worked for me. Backup/Replace AppleSMBIOS.kext with the one you had that was working before. Specs are in signature. Screen shot:

post-54354-1212011805_thumb.png

Natit Installer (worked on my 10.5.3 to get QE/CI back)

I did that and QE/CI is working but under System profiler my Chipset model is listed as Unknow nVidia, amd VRAM displays 256MB. I have 8800 GT 512MB. Before Natit I used NVInject and had correct values in System Profiler. How can I fix that?

I installed the kalyway update, but graphics seem slower/less stable. Also my frontrow is broken (black screen, can navigate and hear sounds but can't see anything on the screen) any idea on how to fix these issues? worked fine using 10.5.2 with old kernel and the graphics update. would replacing the geforce kexts with 10.5.2 ones work?

Hi to the community.

My computer build up from parts, posted with guide about installing and functionality, has been reported.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=631191

I succeeded to update Leo to 10.5.3 respecting exactly the tutorial as it was for 10.5.2 and posted here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=761779

Thank you all contributors. :)

I can confirm success with a Pentium D processor.

For other PD users, just be sure to backup mach_kernel along with your Extensions.

I used Terminal on the install disc to restore the backed up kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext and System.kext.

QE is disabled with software CI, as everyone else. I tried putting the device ID into the new NV* kexts — No dice. I'll try restoring the old ones when I get home later.

My system does boot faster after this update. I've sat through enough boots of 10.5.2 to know that 10.5.3 is indeed faster. Interesting.

Did you use Marvins utility to apply decripts and cpuids patches? :wacko:

Yes, but I did a Decrypted and CPUID files, so right after I applied the update and reboot I applied the parches in single user mode.

After some struggle (because of my own stupidity xD) it's all up and running. Had to replace AppleSMBIOS and AppleHDA (my graphics works with an efi-string). It seems like overall speed did increase a bit and Time Machine is much faster with backing up... Glad it all works, and good luck to the rest! :wacko:

Leopard 10.5.3 with custom AppleSMBIOS, AppleHDA and AppleACPI.

Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 8600GT 256 (EFI) and E8200.

You have to use Pacifist to force replace those kexts and framework.

for clarification, these are "those kext and framework" ...

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin

./System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle

./System/Library/Extensions/IONDRVSupport.kext

./System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext

./System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext

./System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext

./System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext

./System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext

./System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext

./System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

./System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

I did that and QE/CI is working but under System profiler my Chipset model is listed as Unknow nVidia, amd VRAM displays 256MB. I have 8800 GT 512MB. Before Natit I used NVInject and had correct values in System Profiler. How can I fix that?

Hmm. I have no idea. I have the same problem with NVinject where it displays the wrong value for the card. However it displays the right RAM value. I'm pretty sure it has to do with this version not having the Device strings needed for your card in the driver thus causing Mac being able to pick a name out for it. You may want to give NVkush a try. You'll have to make a 512 mb plist for it, it's easy the instructions are in the installer for NVkush. You can download it here. I have never had any luck with NVkush but other people have, it's worth a try. If no work you can try this method (harder) that will be just like when you had NVinject before.

Those are all methods thats make it so the graphics update that came with 10.5.3 work. If you don't mind using an older version of the graphics in Mac you can use this method along side with NVinstaller.41:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry761801

It is by far the easiest method. You can get Pacifist here for when those instructions call for it.

Hmmm, were you using modified AppleAHCIPort/IOAHCIFamily/IOATAFamily kexts before this? Perhaps the update overwrote the kexts and maybe you need to replace them?

I got the same issue with AHCI not longer working. (I was using unmodified kexts before)

Replaced applicable AHCI related kexts with the old ones post above and still not working.

replacing those kexts and frameworks worked! thanks! I stumbled upon another problem though, Cubase 4 can't seem to find my onboard sound! Really annoying as I was planning to use this machine as full production unit. Cubase crashes when I insert VST's, doesn't matter if they're instruments or effects, included is a crash log. I don't know if it's the 10.5.3 that broke it or the cubase update itself. Any ideas?

Edit: never mind, reinstalled updates chronologically, and works like a charm

post-24785-1212194628_thumb.png

Updated my AMD rig with Kalyway Combo Update and Kaly kernels upd (chose modbin), applied decrypts ans CPUID patches. After several reboots and replacing the Nvidia kexts from 10.5.2 (because 10.5.3 give very poor performace) I finally got it:

post-123-1212127321_thumb.jpg

I crashed/blue screened during the install using Kalyway's installer trying to update my AMD rig. I'm gonna try again, this time installing it from another partition onto my Test partition, followed by Kalyway's Kernel update and finally Marvin's for CPUIDs. *crosses fingers*

yeah im new..but i ended up updating iwthout coming to the forums first to check it out......soooo i get kernal panics with kalyway 10.5.2 dvd install ...how can i boot to my mac to remove the stuff..or do i have to wipe it... email me at chimpebman@yahoo.com..or on here please..thanks

Success on my AMD rig!

picture1hl5.th.png

I wiped my Test partition, re-installed Kalyway's 10.5.2, then booted into my everyday partition before booting into Leopard on the test partition for the "first time".

Once booted into my everyday partition, I installed the Kalyway Combo update and Kernel update to my test partition, choosing the modbin 9.2.3 kernel. I then copied my boot.plist from my everyday partition to my newly created Test partition to add in the EFI gfx string as well as re-installing the kext for Audio.

The next step was to boot into the new Leopard partition and see if it would start. Unfortunately I got an "unknown SIGSEV code 0" error, so i rebooted , this time into my everyday partition and ran Marvin's AMD patcher on the new Test partition.

I then booted into the Test partition with single-user mode ( -s ) and applied the patches then exited. Leopard booted into the welcome Video and here I am typing this. ;)

EDIT: Did the same steps for my everyday partition. Success !

I've just checked the Apple discussion forum and lots of people are having problems with genuine macs after installing 10.5.3. I'm going to hold off updating for now until the issues are sorted.

Hmm. I have no idea. I have the same problem with NVinject where it displays the wrong value for the card. However it displays the right RAM value. I'm pretty sure it has to do with this version not having the Device strings needed for your card in the driver thus causing Mac being able to pick a name out for it. You may want to give NVkush a try. You'll have to make a 512 mb plist for it, it's easy the instructions are in the installer for NVkush. You can download it here. I have never had any luck with NVkush but other people have, it's worth a try. If no work you can try this method (harder) that will be just like when you had NVinject before.

Those are all methods thats make it so the graphics update that came with 10.5.3 work. If you don't mind using an older version of the graphics in Mac you can use this method along side with NVinstaller.41:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry761801

It is by far the easiest method. You can get Pacifist here for when those instructions call for it.

Thank You so much for this. NVkush method now displays Chipset Model as 8800 GT in System Profiler however I have still "only" 256MB of VRAM. I tried with 512MB Info.plist but NVkush does not get loaded at startup and boot fails or sometimes loads but with basic graphics and no QE/CI Acceleration.