10.5.3 Available as an update!

176 posts in this topic

Hi

I just want to report that I successfully updated my T60 from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3, following Netkas' method. This is the same method that applied to updating to 10.5.2. You can find it on his website.

Had to re-apply the mod to ATIRadeonX1000.kext's contents and I had to restore my old IO80211Family.kext to get the wireless back up.

I can;t find the Time Machine option to backup when on battery though?

Anyway, System Profiler shows I'm up-to-date:

1053.png

edit: I had to restore my powermanagement.bundle for Leopard to detect I'm on a laptop, and the new Tiome Machine feature is there now.

I noticed that you have a vanilla kernal running on a T60p. I have a T60p and would also like convert it to Leopard. Any links or advice on getting it installed? Any information or direction would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

Ok, the three files are here, for those who need them. They worked for me on 10.5.2 on a GA-P35-DS3L. Have fun.

http://rapidshare.com/files/118595843/Archive.zip.html

Are these the files that did or didn't work for you after updating? Sorry, just need to clarify. I checked them out and they are very different from the ones I am using in 10.5.2 right now. If these are the ones that aren't working for you, I will upload my files, but I will wait for your reply first (don't want to cause confusion for everyone else).

I would advise you to reinstall it through proper official pkg because it executes some post install scripts to make the 10.5.3 install complete.I think installing with pacisift -since it doesn't run these- can provoke bugs like Samba / AFS not working anymore...

updated to 10.5.3 using pacifist, it's just too easy ;)p.s. updated apple usb ethernet drivers.
You weren't fast enough to delete that kext then. You should have listened netkas and use his tutorial to rm -R that kext INSTANTLY.
I started the process on my 10.5.2 (vanilla kernel if I remember right), monitored the extensions folder and deleted the Intel power management kext when it came up. Shortly there after (maybe 5-6 seconds) I had a kernel panic and now when loading with verbose mode the boot seems to hang at:
USBF: 8.878 IOUSBCompositeDriver[0x648c080](IOUSBDevice) GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) returned NULLERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

after which nothing happens. Tried loading my retail leopard dvd to see if I could get that to boot and it didn't work (not sure if I should be surprised by that) and my Kalyway disc found itslef in the trash a few days ago so I'm redownloading that.anybody have an idea of what could be the problem?This is running on a P5W-DH with what should be the latest BIOS

Guest ѕиоѡ

ls8 made a post about what kext get overwitten:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...165&st=620#

My speed increased and overall feels a tad smoother (or just the same), 7800GT still fully working with GFX string. I only needed to patch audio again and replace SMBIOS and IOAHCIFamily.

TM works with the new IONetworkingFamily.

Lost reboot though, sleep works, shutdown 50%

Overall it was a simpler update process then with 10.5.2.

iWork 08 stopped working after update to 10.5.3 :angel:

Pages, Numbers and Keynote start, but show an empty window and crash shortly after.

All 3 start filling up /var/log/system.log with a loop of this before they crash:

May 29 22:00:34 Hackintosh Keynote[489]: invalid pixel format
May 29 22:00:34 Hackintosh Keynote[489]: invalid context
May 29 22:00:34 Hackintosh Keynote[489]: Exception caught by top level: NSInvalidArgumentException : *** +[NSString stringWithCString:]: NULL cString

Any ideas?

iWork 08 stopped working after update to 10.5.3 :(

Pages, Numbers and Keynote start, but show an empty window and crash shortly after.

All 3 start filling up /var/log/system.log with a loop of this before they crash:

May 29 22:00:34 Hackintosh Keynote[489]: Exception caught by top level: NSInvalidArgumentException : *** +[NSString stringWithCString:]: NULL cString

Any ideas?

Ah, it seems iwork depends on hardware graphics acceleration which 10.5.3 was nice enough to remove for me - had to install Natit nvidia and remove the nvinject.kext -- iwork works again :)

For anyone using Kalyway's 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 builds on your Hackintosh, I've put Kalyway's new Combo Update 10.5.3 on the bay of various plundering.

You weren't fast enough to delete that kext then. You should have listened netkas and use his tutorial to rm -R that kext INSTANTLY.

that's the thing, I had Terminal open monitoring the folder and when it didn't delete itself immediately I stepped in. I backed up all of my kext's previously though, through the DVD in Terminal how do I copy over the backedup kext's? For some reason I'm a Terminal Tool right now and can't figure it out.

I have just updated from kaliway 10.5.2

Firstly my system could not boot up, so I tried -s and got Still waiting for boot device.

I then set SATA MODE to ACHI in the BIOS

Tried to boot the system and it worked.

NO SOUND

NO WiFi

All these worked after installing Kext from the Extensions backup

using this guide:

Well, I did get 10.5.3 successfully installed using the guide found here but I came across a problem I was not able to fix. I have an ATI 3850 512MB video card, and when I first installed it I had the "white menu" symptoms. I did find a fix here: http://netkas.org/?p=48

Once I rebooted for the 10.5.3 upgrade I had the same white menu problems. I first attempted to my Extensions backups but that did not work. I then tried to apply the patch mentioned above but it broke my system, made it un-bootable. Anyone have any idea how to fix the white menus in 10.5.3?

I am running all vanilla, GPT, EFI Leo4allV3 and i get what I guess is a kernal panic as it tells me to shutdown before loading desktop, but it does boot.

So, I take it I have to reinstall? BTW the initial crash happened while updating. simply used software updater DON'T DO IT!!!

oh well.

10.5.3 broke my vanilla install. Here is what I did wrong: I was following the guide and has used "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done". Just as the installer was finishing, I searched in finder 'appleintel' inside the extensions folder. Everything froze. I'm assuming thats what caused the freeze, as everything was working fine until I searched that.

I'm posting this so everyone can avoid making this mistake =(

10.5.3 broke my vanilla install. Here is what I did wrong: I was following the guide and has used "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done". Just as the installer was finishing, I searched in finder 'appleintel' inside the extensions folder. Everything froze. I'm assuming thats what caused the freeze, as everything was working fine until I searched that.

I'm posting this so everyone can avoid making this mistake =(

When I tried to update to 10.5.3 using the netkas guide, I had just finished the install package and realized I still had time machine on. When I right clicked it to access the preferences to turn it off, the whole system froze. Killed my install.

To top it off, trying to recover using my kalyway disk and my time machine backup just freezes before recovery is complete. Looks like a full rebuild for me now.

isnt the point of vanilla so you dont have to tweak updates? i am using 10.5.2 leo4allv2 vanilla, and to be honest i dont know if its worth the {censored} to update to 10.5.3, i installed vanilla with the impression this was an easy fix

Hey i did the update to 10.5.3 using netkas method on my laptop, and it worked, i have wireless and everything but graphics, when i boot up and my laptop tries to bring up the desktop, the screen shows a blak strip on the right side of the screen and 3 blue strips going vertically...really odd, so if i boot up with -x -f, everything work but without acceleration, my laptop has the intel GMAX3100, my laptop is a presario c714nr.

After the update was done, the keyboard and mouse didnt work and then i applied Vanilla's kexts to make the keyboard and mouse and to solve a overheating issue, ok that is done as i said everything works, keyboard and mouse are working.

Apple apparently bundled the leopard graphics update to the 10.5.3 update which means that it will break the X3100 support, i tried to apply the x3100 package from iATKOS DVD to c if that solve the problem but it didnt work.

Anyone with the same problem?.....

well that did it, followed the guide and it still crashed my install, waiting for root device now on startup ... god damnit!

EDIT: Put the SATA into legacy mode and its continuing to boot now, slow as hell, how do i get the SATA kext back to what it was so it boots under native SATA again?

I'm getting a persistent, recurring loginwindow.app crash on a GENUINE MACBOOK PRO... goddamn it. Now I'm stuck in XP for a while.... I might just archive/install, back up everything and wipe the drive; it's been due for a while anyway.

isnt the point of vanilla so you dont have to tweak updates? i am using 10.5.2 leo4allv2 vanilla, and to be honest i dont know if its worth the {censored} to update to 10.5.3, i installed vanilla with the impression this was an easy fix

Geez!!!

What, it might take you about 5 more minutes to install this update. Big deal. When large updates come down the pike, yeah, we have to put a little effort in it. When small updates are released, those have always been easy to install, an "easy fix" for those with vanilla kernels.

If this is too hard, might I suggest buying a real mac just so you don;t overwork yourself?

When I tried to update to 10.5.3 using the netkas guide, I had just finished the install package and realized I still had time machine on. When I right clicked it to access the preferences to turn it off, the whole system froze. Killed my install.

To top it off, trying to recover using my kalyway disk and my time machine backup just freezes before recovery is complete. Looks like a full rebuild for me now.

I am having similar problems with my update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3. Tried to use kalyway's install disk and recover from time machine which failed the same as yours.

Got round the problem by doing a fresh install of 10.5.1 then transfered all my apps & files from time machine after the first reboot