Annoying Avatars

55 posts in this topic

I have read the Signature and Avatar Rules, but I didn't find a clear-cut answer.

Personally I find some avatars annoying, they distract you from reading.

What I personally dislike:

1)"Flashing" ones, avatars which flash in your eyes.

2)Creepy small insects which keep moving, it feels as if they were on your screen.

What do you think? Should we have stricter rules? Did I forget anything among "annoying avatars"?

hmmm..... yeah, ive seen some annoying ones, but uh, idk......

its kind of hard to define annoying as its objective, and not subjective.......

i mean, i would agree to stricter rules if they were worded correctly..... this is just such a hard subject to define. im kind of on the fence with this one because it doesnt bother me all that much.

BUT im glad you brought this up and maybe someone will be able to figure out a way to handle this =]

and also i agree that flashing / fast moving ones shouldnt be allowed, i mean, they give me a headache, some people seasures, and everyone an eyesore.

An example of a flashing avatar would be nice because right now I'm not sure exactly how annoying they can get.

I agree the moving insects is odd, but I wouldn't personally call them annoying. And even if I did find it annoying, making a rule against "creepy moving insects in avatars" will be difficult to administer.

What I personally dislike:

1)"Flashing" ones, avatars which flash in your eyes.

2)Creepy small insects which keep moving, it feels as if they were on your screen.

Second that.

Obviously making judgement calls on what is or what isn't annoying is too subjective and wouldn't work. Either you have to allow them all or just say only static avatars.

Whoops I think this may be orientated to my Avatar. If its distrubin ya in any way I will be happy to remove it :P. Just ask! :)

Whoops I think this may be orientated to my Avatar. If its distrubin ya in any way I will be happy to remove it :P. Just ask! :)

No, actually not. Yours is quite nice (I know we just said only static avatars :P )

Whoops I think this may be orientated to my Avatar. If its distrubin ya in any way I will be happy to remove it :D. Just ask! :D

It's as disturbing as when the exorcist girl spins her head.

Only joking mate. You'rs is actually funny.

I think we should use common sense when choosing avatars that are animated. Suhail's is a good example of a good animated avatar. We just don't need seizure inducing avatars that make a person want to punch the screen. :unsure:

I think we should use common sense when choosing avatars that are animated. Suhail's is a good example of a good animated avatar. We just don't need seizure inducing avatars that make a person want to punch the screen. :D

Exactly. Unfortunately it will be difficult to write a rule about it.

Exactly. Unfortunately it will be difficult to write a rule about it.

Not really we could say:

"Please choose animated avatars using common sense. Please do not use seizure inducing and or offensive avatars as they will be removed."

I do not like the flashing ones and would like them to be gone, but there's also another one. One member has one that has two guys kissing on it, and I'm not trying to make this a complaint against them just because they support homosexuality, but I do find it offending. Normally I wouldn't complain about it but whenever I get to a post by this person I just find it hard to treat it like a normal post. I mean I'm a Christian, but I don't have one saying, "You are going to hell! You are going to hell! You are going to hell!"

Just a thought to consider.

MasterofComputers, "Please choose animated avatars using common sense" is a very subjective statement which is where the problem is with it in moderating.

Although some animated avatars are interesting and funny (like the one above or Suhails), I still think the best rule to manage is where we simply do not allow any animated avatars. That way no one can complain about being picked on. We can add to that that we don't allow "distasteful avatars", to add the slightly general side to for those static avatars which often initiate us shouting "MY EYES, MY EYES!"

MasterofComputers, "Please choose animated avatars using common sense" is a very subjective statement which is where the problem is with it in moderating.

Although that may slightly be the case it shouldn't be that much of a problem to do. Most of the users here who hit the 200-500 post count mark and have some time here do have [some] common sense and should be able to understand it.