Annoying Avatars

55 posts in this topic

Although that may slightly be the case it shouldn't be that much of a problem to do. Most of the users here who hit the 200-500 post count mark and have some time here do have [some] common sense and should be able to understand it.

In theory that sounds great but in real life its not practical for forum moderating.

Not everyone is annoyed by the same thing. The avatar with the moving insect seems innocent enough, but for me it draws my attention more than some of the more overt avatars.

Not everyone is annoyed by the same thing. The avatar with the moving insect seems innocent enough, but for me it draws my attention more than some of the more overt avatars.

Same here. I find it one of the most distracting.

The two guys smacking is one of the most distracting for me. (Now that does make me sound {censored}.... I'm not.)

I started this thread so that everybody could freely express their opinion.

However, I can't help wondering: if it were a guy and a gal kissing, would you still find it distracting and annoying?

Distracting probably..... I mean that's not really what an avatar should be..... at least imo. The other thing is that the both the avatar and the signature seem to be just in your face about homosexuality. I don't think that's what an avatar or signature should be. I mean Aless, you have some "political" stuff in your signature, but it's not jumping out at me about it.

These images personally don't bother me. Now, if InsanelyMac was part of my daily work routine (was a necessity) it would be a different story. But since this board is a pass-time, I think animated avatars are perfectly acceptable within reason.

Distracting probably..... I mean that's not really what an avatar should be..... at least imo.

Actually I agree. I would find such avatars mildly annoying in both cases ({censored} or hetero).

However I find it important that we have the same rules for everybody: if you can't flaunt your homosexuality, you can't flaunt your heterosexuality either.

But since this board is a pass-time, I think animated avatars are perfectly acceptable within reason.

Exactly, within reason. I sent Mebster an example of something really annoying (a flashing avatar).

However I find it important that we have the same rules for everybody: if you can't flaunt your homosexuality, you can't flaunt your heterosexuality either.

Well I'd be almost against someone with the exact same avatar and signature but with a man and a woman. It's just not what an avatar should look like....

IMHO avatars should not:

• Force beliefs down peoples throats.
  • Flash crazily or annoy users at like 50 billion FPS [Kiko] :rolleyes:
  • Have lewd content
  • Have profanity and or vulgarism

wow. So, I think that...we should just go into our control panels and turn off avatars if we don't like them.

No. Because often you identify members and their posts by their avatars much faster. (My friends option not appropriate.)

It's always best to make decisions so that everyone can still benefit rather than excluding some. Everyone could live without animated/offensive avatars.

That's like having a restaurant and saying we allowing smoking and if you don't like it, don't come in. Where as if it is a non-smoking restaurant both smokers and non-smokers can still benefit.

I do not think we should have to turn off everyone's avatar because one person has one that is very innapropriate to others. Maybe we should institute a vote system? Like 10 people vote to remove the avatar and then the person is forced to choose a different one.

to get rid of all avatars add this line of css to your custom css preferences : (in your browser, of course)

.postdetails img {display:none; visibility:hidden; width:125px; height:125px;}

-D-