Headphones Recommendations

EddM

25 posts in this topic

I'm getting sick of my iPod headphones. They do the job and all, I use them with both my iPhone and my iMac (primarily the iMac), but I really love my music and I'm starting to miss the presence of certain frequencies.

Anyway, can anyone offer any recommendations? Keeping in mind I primarily listen to music that is very heavy on the low end (specifically drum & bass, dubstep, breaks and hip-hop).

Money is really no object. I don't mind forking out a lot for a pair as long as they're worth the premium. I have no preference over what type -- earbuds or around-ear, it's all the same to me (though I will be using them in public :wacko: ).

I had my eye on these v-Moda Vibe headphones as the technical specs read very well for what I'm after, but can anyone offer any alternatives? Or perhaps encouragement to buy these if you've used them?

Thanks guys!

The Vibes are rubbish. Don't buy those.

Some good canalphones/in-ear monitors are probably what you're looking for. Check out some reviews for Ultimate Ears Super.Fi earphones. ie: Super.Fi3. They have a good balanced sound though, not bass-heavy. If you want something bass-heavy with little regard for anything else, I guess there's always the Sennheiser CX300's or UE Metro.Fi2

If you don't want/need isolation and earbuds are more your thing, I recommend the Yuin PK2 or PK1 depending on budget.

If you like clip-on over-the-ear 'phones, the Koss KSC-75's are supposed to be pretty awesome for their price.

On the cumulative recommendations of people here and my friend in the music industry, I have decided on a pair of Koss MV1's as they may indeed replace the headphones attached to my mixer too.

Thanks guys!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No two pairs of ears are alike. Also everyone has different tastes as to what sounds good. Try these guys here.

They have a good range of cans to select from plus they listen too and evaluate most of them so you have some Idea of what to expect.

I've bought Grado SR-60s, Super Fi 3s, Sennhieser HD-485 and a couple headphone amps from them over the ears and I've never had anything less than a stellar experience. Great people and super fast shipping make it a great place.

I just figured that this was easier than trying to justify one set over the other.

i personally have these there not bad, they do carry a decent bottom end, little roll off on the high end but they do sound good, i'm personally looking into getting molded earbud monitors from either seinheiser or shure, prefferably wireless as well. that's gonna cost a pretty penny..

I just bought the Bose Supra/TriPort On-Ear earphones and they are amazing.

Great sound quality, worth the money, they fit the 1st gen iPhone,

believe me, the sound quality is very good!

Highly recommended!