[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

Hi,

Thanks for this guide. I'm assuming this guide will work for a GA-P35-DS3L right?

I have installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on my GA-P35-DS3L board with Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz with 2GB PC8500 DDR2 ram. I have a 160GB SATAII drive, and a ATA Sony DVD RW drive. I think I used the same audio patch to get sound working. I used NVinject 0.1.3 to get my 8800GTS working, but the video memory was only 128MB, then I added the VRAMtotalsize which contains NVinject.kext and rebooted now the memory shows 768MB but i'm still having weird problems (not shutting down) before it was shutting down. I may have to update to a newer NVinject. I'm just leary about doing updates

I am going to follow your guide to do the 10.5.2 update, and I have the Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo1, but I cannot find the Kalyway Kernels package (searched TPB).

Any suggestions before I do this?

It should work OK, the audio is different on the DS3L. DS3L has ALC888 while the DS3P/DS3R/DS4 have ALC889A.

But you can use the update part of the guide to update to 10.5.2, yes. Everything should be the same for DS3L other than for the audio. For the kernels, go here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search

5th result down :rolleyes:

Everyone,

I've released a beta version of the package installer that I was talking about. Find it here (scroll down for the download link). Note that it is in beta and minor bugs can be expected, but I assure that it has been thoroughly tested multiple times on my system with no problems.

You must have a working 10.5.2 install before proceeding with the beta package otherwise your system will break. Any other version will not work for now.

I have also included an uninstaller script and instructions for those who want to revert back to their original state before the install.

This is still in beta and will be finalized when ready

Thank you soooooo much for the guide ~pcwiz

This guide makes the most sense for ds3 board.

And thanks for the time and energy to make our life easier.

PM me your paypal address, I'd like to offer you a small donation.

Keep up the good work. :(

Hi. I'm in the process of following your guide--we'll see how it works out for me, but I appreciate all the effort you put into organizing everything. It's really a great thing to do to help people out.

One small comment I have on the guide is that it might be a good idea to add more parenthetical comments on how long certain things (waiting for the Kalyway DVD to bring you to the language screen, etc.) should take. You do it in some spots (e.g. noting how long the disk verification takes), but if you were more consistent it would help a newb get a better feeling for "how long is too long."

Another suggestion is that you should include the F8 and -v commands at boot so newbs have a better idea what's going on, as opposed to staring at a gray screen. I'm doing this for a DS3L, and had I started with -v I would've been on top of the problem right away rather than waiting and waiting.

(Just wanted to note for others with the DS3L that you can't have AHCI enabled otherwise you get a "searching for boot" or some such notice that hangs. For you experts out there, is it possible for me to enable AHCI for OSX after I've installed it with AHCI disabled?)

EDIT: Also, I'm hung at the following point after successfully installing Kalyway 10.5.1, rebooting, and expecting to see the OSX Welcome Screen

Jettisoning kernel linker.

Mar 5 20:21:51 localhost fseventsd[29]: log dir: /.fseventsd getting new uuid: XXXXXXXX-XXXX

Hi ~pcwiz,

I really want to thank you for your very useful guide.

After having tried for weeks with other methods (and after hundreds of kernel panics :-) ), following your guide I was able to set up the whole system in half an hour !!!! Amazing !!!

The only problem is remaining (but I know it doesn't depend on your guide) is that one of my ntfs partitions cannot be accessed from Leopard.

Let me explain a bit better:

I have a SATA drive with two partitions, say A and B. Partition A contains WinVista, while partition B contains only data.

Then I have an IDE drive with other two partitions, say C and D. Partition C contains data, while partition D contains Leopard.

While installing Kalyway 10.5.1, disk utilities showed them correctly. Then I had a problem, had to reboot and then Disk utilities was showing partition B with a wrong size. I didn't care and went ahead. After the installation, all of my ntfs partitions are shown on the desktop (as internal drives), but if I try to open partition B it shows nothing. Disk utilities keeps telling me that it is 50 gigabyte big, while it is 220 GB! The other ntfs partitions work OK.

Is there a way to access that partition as well?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...

AleM2k5.

So the sound is working, I just have two nitpicks:

1. Front audio jack is not working.

2. Sound quality is not quite as good as Windows.

Any suggestions for iTunes equalizers or anything to improve the sound quality?

Hi

I have a DS3L, but am about to swap for a DS3P to pick up extra SATA ports, and built in firewire. Anyway, both of these boards are wired by default for HD audio. In my case, the plug for the front audio is wire by default for AC97. i just found this, and will be redoing the jumpers when I switch out the motherboards.

HTH

Pandar

frankbo,

The DS3L is well known to have SATA issues and some issues may appear in that mobo that don't appear in the other DS3 boards. I'll take everything you have said into consideration for the next revision of this guide :D However it is hard to tell them "exactly" how long things should take, because this depends a lot on how fast their hardware is.

I don't really see why its hanging at that message, because its not an error. Just some notification messages. Make sure that your BIOS settings match the settings in the guide. Try experimenting with different AHCI options. And do you have your drives connected to the ICH9 SATA (yellow) or the GSATA (purple)? Only ICH9 will work

AleM2k5,

Very glad that the guide worked for you. About your SATA, have you tried installing the SATA driver that was in the guide? That may solve some of your problems. I'd say that you could consider that partly normal, as I can see my Windows partition from Leopard, but I can't see my Data partition at all.

If nothing works out, back up all the data on all your drives, as this can be dangerous: There are 2 solutions that allow for read and write of NTFS partitions in OS X. One is MacFUSE:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...070220150856279

And the other is NTFS-3G:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/...n-mac-os-x.html

Try both of those tutorials and see if one works out. BACK UP YOUR DATA.

Pandar,

My case came with plugs for both HDA (default) and AC97. I plugged in HDA and it works great with no tinkering. However, it says in the DS3 motherboard manual that you CAN use AC97, but you have to do a tiny settings tweak in BIOS. Good luck! :)

Everyone, this guide package has been updated to include the NEW driver installer that automatically installs the drivers and kernels for you! Thats the one listed under "New version"!!

:)

Thanks for the guide was great and clear however, i ran into problems with the Vanilla Kernel Issue.

My mobo = GA-P35-DS3

Initial install with Kalyway 10.5.1 with Vanilla Kernel plus patch + GUID was not successful, it kept rebooting after installation

However, it works without selecting Vanilla Kernel

is this only me or anyone else having the same issues?

hey pcwiz, thanks for the great guide... (didn't try it though, because i already have a working os x installation).

my question is, do the included network drivers work with the lan chip of the p35-ds3 (realtek 8111B)?

Because my network is very slow with the standard drivers from the kalyway dvd. internet is ok, but when i copy files from another pc in the network it takes about 3 hours for 1 gb...

hi pcwiz, could you give more detailed information about the bios settings for this board? i didnt find much with the search functions except this one: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t83141.htmlare the informations correct?would be great to have detailed bios settings in your fantastic guide!!beside a link, where you get information about the bios settings of the ds4 (german): http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-p35-ds4.htmthanks a lotjakob... and does someone know which bios version is the best? f7? f11? another? and can i update the bios only with windows or also on a plain Install with no os installed?thanks a lot for answers!!greetings,jakob

jov11n,

This could be for several reasons:

1) Your BIOS settings were not set right

2) You do not have a Core 2 based CPU

3) EFI did not install properly (manually install EFI)

Lintendo,

Yes, if you have 8111B then the network drivers should work.

jakob,

BIOS settings are included in the guide :angry: You only need to set what is mentioned in the guide and everything else can be left as default. I am using F6 BIOS, I don't know what the best one is. You can update the BIOS using the Windows utility included, or you can use the "Q-Flash" feature to flash the BIOS even if you have no OS :)

I hope this clears things up a bit :)

Did the installation according to your guide with great success one day ago.

Only thing i changed was by not using the vanilla kernel, because i couldn't use my PS/2 keyboard after the installation. Tried several things before i found the solution to not use the vanilla kernel.

After that it was piece of cake.

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Rev. 1.0

Intel Core2Duo E6750

2 Gigs RAM

1 Samsung HD501LJ SATA-Disk

1 Seagate ST3160827AS SATA-Disk

1 LEG HL-DT-STDVD-Rom GDR8160B IDE-DVD-Rom

1 LEG DVD-RAM drive connected with USB for installation

ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB gfx-card

1 Samsung Synchmaster 730 BF

1 NEC Multisync LCD 1550VM

Network working: yes

Audio working: yes

gfx working after installation of Netkas kext: yes

Yours,

Cathul

thanks a lot pcwiz. great guide and simple to follow.

i will update the newest bios, that is f12.

beside, i have a nvidia 7600gs 256mb graphicard.

i know i can choose nvinject in the kalyway install, and nvinject seems to be the best for this card.

but is it the newest nvinject on the kalyway? and is it good to have the newest nvinject for this card?

is there a way to install the newest nvinject when you install kalyway? for me sleep function is very important thing.

greetings,

jakob

Anybody got the DS3L to sleep reliably? Im doing this for a friend who has the DS3L instead but cant get sleep to work even with using different kernels and AppleSMBIOSes. But if I switch his hard drive to my rig it sleeps like a baby. So that leads me to the board itself. Any inputs appreciated.

Awsome guide PCwiz. Installer was great and convenient. ;)

Cathul,

Glad it worked. PS/2 should work with vanilla using the PS/2 fix option in my installer package ;)

jakob,

The one in the Kalyway install is 0.1.5 and it will work great with your card. There is a NVinject 0.2 out, but its only useful for dual card setups. Use the one in the Kalyway install :D

royco,

Thank you :) For sleep, try the netkas sleep kernel and speedstep kernel both and see if one works. Also, experiment between changing the 2 ACPI sleep modes in BIOS (S1 and S3). I had some success with the S1.

Lintendo,

You might also want to check out DaemonES's RealtekR1000 driver:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/

That might improve your networking even more, although I haven't tried it.

Thank you, but I already tried that one, speed was the same as the driver from the kalyway dvd... The driver included in your package seems to work better for me :(

Yeah, I used the R1000 driver till 10.4.11, but after it hit 10.4.11, the driver stopped working and I had to resort to the driver that is now included in my package. The driver in the package works for 10.4 and 10.5, really a great driver.

Anyway, glad it helped :(