Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

I'm sorry guys, but I also desperately need help with my Atheros wireless card. I've done everything, but it is listed in the System Profiler.

Things I've Done:

- Copied the two kext files from the 10.4.5 intel update into the Extensions folder.

- Chmodded and chrowned the IO80211Family.kext file.

- Edited the NetworkInterface file (en0 to en1) (actually, the file didn't exist and I created it)

- Repaired permissions on the Mac disk.

My computer specs:

- Toshiba Satellite A55-S106

- 1.4 GHz Intel Celeron M

- 512 MB SDRAM

And here is the info for my wireless card from the terminal:

| |   |   +-o LAN@8  <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy $
| |   |	   {
| |   |		 "built-in" = <00>
| |   |		 "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=18446744072904175616,"lengt$
| |   |		 "device-id" = <3d100000>
| |   |		 "IOChildIndex" = 5
| |   |		 "name" = "ethernet"
| |   |		 "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/PCIB@1e0000/LAN@8000$
| |   |		 "IOName" = "ethernet"
| |   |		 "vendor-id" = <86800000>
| |   |		 "revision-id" = <83000000>
| |   |		 "subsystem-vendor-id" = <79110000>
| |   |		 "IOInterruptControllers" = ("8259-pic")
| |   |		 "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 02520d00$
| |   |		 "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStat$
| |   |		 "acpi-reg" = <00400000>
| |   |		 "class-code" = <00000200>
| |   |		 "compatible" = <"pci1179,1","pci8086,103d","pciclass,020000$
| |   |		 "subsystem-id" = <01000000>
| |   |		 "assigned-addresses" = <104001020000000000f0fecf00000000001$
| |   |		 "reg" = <00400100>
| |   |		 "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0b00000007000000>)
| |   |	   }

Thank you so much to anyone who helps me with this.

Could someone please send me the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext?

mickles at gmail dot com.

Incidentally, on 10.4.6 using 10.4.5's IO80211Family, the Atheros kext recognizes the card (168c,0013) and loads, but the card isn't recognized by the system profiler etc. I presume the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily might fix this. If anyone else has any other experience or ideas, let me know.

The Planex GW-DS54SGX PCI card (about $35) uses the Atheros 5212 chip and has the device ID 0x168c and Vendor ID 0x0013. It works fine as a standard Airport card (click Network in System Preferences first) under 10.4.5 but not under 10.4.7. To remedy, just open the plist in the AirportAtheros5424.kext of the IO80211Family.kext and add the line:

<string>pci168c,13</string>

to the bottom of the following

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

to give

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

Save and reboot.

pci168 is derived from the Device ID and 13 is derived from the Vendor ID. If yours are different, edit accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
The Planex GW-DS54SGX PCI card (about $35) uses the Atheros 5212 chip and has the device ID 0x168c and Vendor ID 0x0013. It works fine as a standard Airport card (click Network in System Preferences first) under 10.4.5 but not under 10.4.7. To remedy, just open the plist in the AirportAtheros5424.kext of the IO80211Family.kext and add the line:

to the bottom of the following

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

to give

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

Save and reboot.

pci168 is derived from the Device ID and 13 is derived from the Vendor ID. If yours are different, edit accordingly.

Ok, I tried this with my belkin F5D7000 with atheros chipset.. the number I got from ioreg was pci168c,1a. I added it to the plist, fixed permissions, and tried to kextload.. but I got a superclass error! Loading the unmodified kext still gives the same error. Any ideas? I have a feeling ti has to do with me running 10.4.7... Any tips would be much appreciated!

Got it working!!

Needed the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext and the IO80211Family.kext from the install DVD (10.4.5 I think?) Edited the plist, cleared the kextcache and all was well after rebooting! Wireless!!!! woohoo!

where do i get these files? do i have to download all the dvd´s only to extract those files?

You may be able to get it working without the old IONetworkingFamily; I'm not sure if that's what did the trick or not. I extracted the IO80211Family.kext from the install dvd using pacifist.

If you try that and it still doesn't work, shoot me a pm :(

Sorry if this is a really stupid question. But I downloaded the 10.5 Intel update and am using Pacifist...but where on earth do I search for the two files that I need? IONetworkingFamily and IO80211Family.kext? I don't see them? Are they within some other compressed folder? Any tips please? Or can someone email me them? I'm trying to get a D-Link DWL-G650 card to work. TIA

got it working on a tp-link tl-wn651g!

the problem was that i installed "additional drivers" by the goatsecx-image. THESE DO NOT WORK WITH THE ATHEROS CARDS! Stay at the standard-ones, change the en0 to en1 and IT WORKS!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I gave that a shot, thebob. Using the .6 HOTiSO release with the JaS .7 update, all software updated, including iLife '06... Pacifist replaces the kexts, that's fine, and I deleted the Extensions stuff as instructed, but upon rebooting it seems if OSX just doesn't even notice the card I have - the D-Link DWL-630 which is Atheros 5005 based.

Way back with the 10.4.3 release from JaS, it worked like a charm from the first boot. Funny thing is so did the internal modem on this Dell Inspiron 4150. The modem worked! But just for that first reboot after the installation, for some reason. After I rebooted *again*, the modem never worked again nor was seen again.

I tried flushing all the kexts, etc... no go. Still no hardware noticed by OSX. Kinda weird. Maybe I should try the kexts from that 10.4.3 release that worked for me in the past.

Now on to the QE stuff... hopefully I can manage that or at least some OpenGL functionality: I want to see what iWeb can do but I can't even get it to run so far. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I now have my Atheros ar5005g working after installing OS X using the new JaS 10.4.7 disc.

I'm not actually sure what it was that made it work it was either replacing the IO80211Family.kext with the 10.4.5 one or changing the en0 entry to en1 NetworkInterfaces.plist. Or maybe it was both, I now have pci lan nic as en1 and atheros wireless as en2?

Anyway thanks again, that means everything is now working on my Acer Travelmate 2410 Laptop! :hysterical:

hi,

i have a atheros AR5212A-00 chip.

i've installed JaS 10.4.6 an copied these two kext from the 10.4.5 intel update over. but it doesn't work.

i haven't got this file where i could change en0 to en1.

i don't know where i can see the device id, its not listed in the system profiler.

leo

Hey, I had exactly the same problem!!!

No file to change en0 in en1. So, for me, the only manner to have thing working was to work on the recognition of my network card!!!

When these one was recognize, it was assigned to en0, anf the Atheros WI-FI card was so in en1.

Sorry if I don't help you a lot, but for me it was the solution.

I tried the things mentioned here

for SMCWPCIT-G card which is AR5212 based card

including changing the info.plist file

and the EN0 to EN1 thing

No joy - no working

Now though when I boot up I am told that the info.plist file was not installed right

but I did delete the kextchache file and I did do the disk repair thing

Arrrggghhh

i'll just post how i got my ar5212 working (163c0013, i think) for 10.4.3. x86.

download the 10.4.5 update and get the kext (io80211family.kext) from archive.pax.gz (if i remember correctly). it will only work (for me anyway) if you use the original ionetworkfamily.kext that installed with 10.4.3. put this kext into \system\library\extensions\ . Then in terminal type:

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel io80211family.kext

then restart and it should just work, set up from system preferences.

OMFG I want to thank you soooo much for this one! Jesus! I"ve been doign this for DAYS!

Hi!

Ive got a Atheros based DWL-520 (RevA/1) PCI card runnin on 10.4.6 (that's what im using right now :P).

This cards shows up in the 10.4.5_HCL but in 10.4.6_HCL it reads all RevA not working. Thats not true. This cards runs nearly perfect under 10.4.6.

Here is how:

If u follow the guide here to use IONetworkingfamily.kext and IO80211.kext from 10.4.5, u wont succeed with this card. Instead KEEP your IONetworkingfamily.kext and only use IO80211.kext from 4.5.

THATS IT! Your card will be detected as aiport! Although i wasn't able to get WEP runnin, but it works!

So, you can add this card to the HCL_10.4.6. too , as it is already listed in den HCL_10.4.5.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Toshiba P25-S507 Laptop. I successfully created a dual boot Windows/OSX 10.4.6 system and was able to get the video & sound working great. Even the built in ethernet works perfectly. Wireless networking has got me stumped...

The laptop has integrated Atheros AR5001X MiniPCI Wireless which works perfectly in Windows mode. I've tried following some of the postings on this board, but am mixed up now. I've tried moving the kext files, changing the en0/1 thing...but still cant get it to work!!!

What's the fix? If you have another recommended kext file, please let me know or upload/email (gpintus at yahoo.com). I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to the OSX world.

Thanks!

i know your problem,

atheros wifi not working under osx 10.4.6 took some time to get it fixed!

i can't remember where i finally got this kext from, but with this kext my atheros was finally recognized as airport (even though when i click on airport in system profiler i get a text saying no information availible)

i'm gonna send you the 80211.kext. remember to fix permissions using the chmod command mentioned earlier!

good luck,

chris

hi I just bought an ATHEROS AR5002 mini-pci wireless card, I was wondering if it is compatable with these drivers?

thanks

hmm... another question for you guys.

I have a D-Link DWL-G132 which has an Atheros based chip in it, but it's not being detected. I'm running 10.4.8 right now, so shouldnt the drivers that were in 10.4.5 be in this version? or do I still need to install the ones from 10.4.5?