CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Leopard

~Eureka

1,073 posts in this topic

hi chun-nan,

i did several test with my firewire devices (integrated and pcmcia slot)

seems the system hangs somehow, is slowest than before, but the activity monitor doesn't show up any problems.

the integrated firewire (o2micro) works, but it has strange behaviours. if i plug any firewire/dv hdd, it can browse any folder, but is so slow that it's impossible to copy any files, alto small ones.

if i connect a dv camera i can only remote it if a tape is inserted. No video at all.

i've noticed also same problems on the pcmcia slot.

it works fine but slowest than before. i did same test with my pcmcia firewire 400/800.

dvcam works fine and can remote/capture files.

if i plug firewire 800 hdd the device delay is really too much. i can't play video files without frame drops, the disk seems too slow (but it isn't for sure, is a brand new 1 tera firewire 800 disk with raid0).

p.s. the pcmcia with earliest version of iopccardfamily seems faster/powerull

btw, you did a wonderfoul job, no more kernel panic, and most important thing, you've enabled whole o2micro devices.i guess this is only a tweaking problem

regards

Hi snam11,

For the integrated firewire device, I think it may have something to do with IOFirewire* kexts which I don't know too much about it right now. I will suggest you try to restore the orginal IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily to see if the same problem (if i connect a dv camera i can only remote it if a tape is inserted. No video at all) still occurs. Then use the rev6 and compare the result.

For the pcmcia slot firewire device, what I did so far is just try to enable and activate the pccard slot service so that the pcmica devices can be detected. As far as I know, after the pccard slot service is activated, you still need the right driver(kexts) to make the pccard device work.

Chun-Nan

Hi djmastera2000,try rev6 and let me know the result.Chun-Nan

Hey Chun-Nan, installed whole v6 package, no test4 PCIFamily, the results:

bash-3.2# dmesg
s
vm_page_bootstrap: 513539 free pages and 10749 wired pages
mig_table_max_displ = 79
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled
Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet
calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet
Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)
Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall
Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt
calling mpo_policy_init for mb
Seatbelt MACF policy initialized
Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
Starting AppleACPIPS2Nub
Found mouse PNP device
AppleACPIPS2Nub startup complete
mbinit: done
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
From path: "uuid", 
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 82D6143F-254A-36A9-A055-BFDAAA096A4F
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
PCI configuration changed (BUS free=0 needed=1 added=1)
PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=6 yenta=1)
IOPCCard info:   Intel PCIC probe:   Ricoh RL5C476 rev b4
FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1180 ID 552 built-in now active, GUID 0000f04101054711; max speed s400.
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 10): vendor 0x1033, device 0x0035
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 10): found 2 functions
IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 0 to card services.
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_config(bus 10)
IOPCCard info:	 fn 0 bar 1: mem 0xa0001000-0xa0001fff
IOPCCard info:	 fn 1 bar 1: mem 0xa0000000-0xa0000fff
IOPCCard info:	 irq 20
IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 1 to card services.
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/AppleATADiskDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 2@2
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled
Matching service count = 1
ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x4579f00
wl0: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11 Wireless Controller
4.170.25.8.2NVDANV40HAL loaded and registered.
ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v6.2
ALCinject: Starting.
ALCinject: Setting built-in=<data not shown>
ALCinject: Setting layout-id=<data not shown>
dsmos: Initializing...
dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!
m0ead6f57 :2
m7b9b743c
dsmos: Starting...
AppleBCM440XEthernet: Ethernet address 00:13:77:29:d5:2d
AirPort_Brcm43xx: Ethernet address 00:19:7d:6b:2a:84
bfe0: BUG!  Timeout waiting for bit 00000002 of register 42c to clear.
NTFS driver 2.0 [Flags: R/O].
NTFS volume name Vista, version 3.1.
NTFS volume name Program Files, version 3.1.
NTFS volume name Data, version 3.1.

What did you change in this version?

Hey Chun-Nan, installed whole v6 package, no test4 PCIFamily, the results:

What did you change in this version?

Hi djmastera2000,

It seems that your PCCard Slot is detected and activated.

What I did is try to make sure the PCI configuration is accurate. You can see those two messages:

Chun-Nan

Hi djmastera2000,

What I did is try to make sure the PCI configuration is accurate. You can see those two messages:

Chun-Nan

Chun-Nan,

Question for you - the kexts that you're distributing as rev6 - are they development or deployment builds?

Wondering about the messages is all :)

Cheers,

EqUaTe

Hi djmastera2000,

Chun-Nan

IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_config(bus 10)
IOPCCard info:	 fn 0 bar 1: mem 0xa0001000-0xa0001fff
IOPCCard info:	 fn 1 bar 1: mem 0xa0000000-0xa0000fff
IOPCCard info:	 irq 20

After function 0 there is more info, after function 1 nothing, you know why perhaps?

Or is this my card reader that doesn't work yet?

Hi all,

I've installed rev6 and my PCMCIA is working but FireWire tab in System Profiler says "unable to list firewire devices". I've checked dmesg and it says "FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 803a PCI now active, GUID 00080da0d13f83df; max speed s400."

Anyone got FW working with rev6 or can share some trick to make it working?

p.s.

This is dmesg for rev6:

immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.mbinit: done
BSM auditing present

Starting AppleACPIPS2Nub
Found mouse PNP device
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 252724EC-A21D-3FC0-94F9-BCEC237771D7
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=3 yenta=1)
USBF:   0.841   Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
USBF:   0.843   USBLEGCTLSTS value c0002000
USBF:   0.850   Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1000001 - writing OSOwned
USBF:   0.858   acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001
IOPCCard info:   Intel PCIC probe:   TI XX12 rev 00
FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 803a PCI now active, GUID 00080da0d13f83df; max speed s400.
Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.
Extension "com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
E:[AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController][FindInterfaces] mInt0InterruptMaxPacketSize = 16
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/TOSHIBA MK1237GSX Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 3@3
BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 3
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 8): vendor 0x1106, device 0x3038
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 8): found 3 functions
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_config(bus 8)
IOPCCard info:     fn 0 bar 2: mem 0xa0004000-0xa00040ff
IOPCCard info:     fn 0 bar 5: io 0x120-0x13f
IOPCCard info:     fn 1 bar 2: mem 0xa0003000-0xa00030ff
IOPCCard info:     fn 1 bar 5: io 0x100-0x11f
IOPCCard info:     fn 2 bar 1: mem 0xa0002000-0xa00020ff
IOPCCard info:     fn 2 bar 2: mem 0xa0001000-0xa00010ff
IOPCCard info:     irq 18
IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 2 to card services.
USBF:   41.143  Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
USBF:   41.168  USBLEGCTLSTS value c0000000
USBF:   41.190  Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1 - writing OSOwned
USBF:   41.215  acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001
USBF:   41.340  AppleUSBUHCI: controller reset failed

-----EDIT --------

I've tried to switch off and on AirPort but still no success.

Regards,

Mariusz.

Edited by Mariusz

Hi snam11,

For the integrated firewire device, I think it may have something to do with IOFirewire* kexts which I don't know too much about it right now. I will suggest you try to restore the orginal IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily to see if the same problem (if i connect a dv camera i can only remote it if a tape is inserted. No video at all) still occurs. Then use the rev6 and compare the result.

For the pcmcia slot firewire device, what I did so far is just try to enable and activate the pccard slot service so that the pcmica devices can be detected. As far as I know, after the pccard slot service is activated, you still need the right driver(kexts) to make the pccard device work.

Chun-Nan

Hi chun-nan

since the beginning (tiger 10.4.1) up to leo 10.5.1 the internal firewire has never worked.

i've always get the "FireWire (OHCI): start - unable to get device memory" error.

i always thought this error was linked to the pcmcia slots because i've read this controller manage firewire/pcmcia/smartcard reader.

than i tryed to play around with pcmcia reading the post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=29583&st=0

and i've finally managed to get the pcmcia working (hexediting the iopccardfamily and editing the plist file).

both pcmcia and express slot started to work (but not the integrated firewire), so i bought a pcmcia device with 1 firewire400 and 2 fw800 port (with a ti compatible controller)

no drivers was needed because the card is fully compatible with the default firewire system kext.

i've done some tests capturing some dv tapes with fw400 and playng/editing some hd clips on a fw800 hdd. and it worked pretty good.

i've also tested express card using a multicard reader.

bad part was the random kernel panic if pcmcia was plugged in(or already plugged in) during the boot.

Checking the dmesg i've noticed the pcmcia had 2 slots ano only one was working:

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: O2Micro OZ711M1 rev 21

IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0

with your latest release, the full controller is detected and working, firewire ochi error is gone,and is finally detected:

FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1217 ID f7 PCI now active, GUID 009fc0001a119e00; max speed s400.

but you know already what's the behaviour of pcmcia and firewire.

checking the dmesg i've noticed that the system has a tremendous slowdown with latest firewire error

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defauling to full-secure.

(the error is shown twice if the pcmcia firewire is plugged in)

i don't think is a firewire kext problem same kext with early releases of your iopccardfamily works fine and pcmcia slot seems faster.

i don't have any professiona tool to check if the pcmcia is really faster or not.

i usually copy files and or try to play hd clips.the copy time and the playback quality/fluidity is my way to check if the slot is slower or faster.

equate:

has your internal firewire same problem as mine? have you ever tryed the internal firewire?it is o2micro or ti? dunno if only my 7134 has this issues or not.

Hi chun-nan

since the beginning (tiger 10.4.1) up to leo 10.5.1 the internal firewire has never worked.

i've always get the "FireWire (OHCI): start - unable to get device memory" error.

i always thought this error was linked to the pcmcia slots because i've read this controller manage firewire/pcmcia/smartcard reader.

than i tryed to play around with pcmcia reading the post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=29583&st=0

and i've finally managed to get the pcmcia working (hexediting the iopccardfamily and editing the plist file).

both pcmcia and express slot started to work (but not the integrated firewire), so i bought a pcmcia device with 1 firewire400 and 2 fw800 port (with a ti compatible controller)

no drivers was needed because the card is fully compatible with the default firewire system kext.

i've done some tests capturing some dv tapes with fw400 and playng/editing some hd clips on a fw800 hdd. and it worked pretty good.

i've also tested express card using a multicard reader.

bad part was the random kernel panic if pcmcia was plugged in(or already plugged in) during the boot.

Checking the dmesg i've noticed the pcmcia had 2 slots ano only one was working:

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: O2Micro OZ711M1 rev 21

IOPCCardBridge::checkBridgeBusIDs invalid sub/cardbus/pci settings of 0x0

with your latest release, the full controller is detected and working, firewire ochi error is gone,and is finally detected:

FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1217 ID f7 PCI now active, GUID 009fc0001a119e00; max speed s400.

but you know already what's the behaviour of pcmcia and firewire.

checking the dmesg i've noticed that the system has a tremendous slowdown with latest firewire error

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defauling to full-secure.

(the error is shown twice if the pcmcia firewire is plugged in)

i don't think is a firewire kext problem same kext with early releases of your iopccardfamily works fine and pcmcia slot seems faster.

i don't have any professiona tool to check if the pcmcia is really faster or not.

i usually copy files and or try to play hd clips.the copy time and the playback quality/fluidity is my way to check if the slot is slower or faster.

equate:

has your internal firewire same problem as mine? have you ever tryed the internal firewire?it is o2micro or ti? dunno if only my 7134 has this issues or not.

I've seen this error on every boot, including installation. The default kexts seem to recognise my firewire controller, or at least that's the impression I get.

I'll give it a try later - I don't have any firewire devices here at the moment..

EqUaTe

Hi all,

I've installed rev6 and my PCMCIA is working but FireWire tab in System Profiler says "unable to list firewire devices". I've checked dmesg and it says "FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 803a PCI now active, GUID 00080da0d13f83df; max speed s400."

Anyone got FW working with rev6 or can share some trick to make it working?

p.s.

This is dmesg for rev6:

immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.mbinit: done
BSM auditing present

Starting AppleACPIPS2Nub
Found mouse PNP device
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 252724EC-A21D-3FC0-94F9-BCEC237771D7
PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=3 yenta=1)
USBF:   0.841   Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
USBF:   0.843   USBLEGCTLSTS value c0002000
USBF:   0.850   Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1000001 - writing OSOwned
USBF:   0.858   acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001
IOPCCard info:   Intel PCIC probe:   TI XX12 rev 00
FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 803a PCI now active, GUID 00080da0d13f83df; max speed s400.
Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.
Extension "com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
E:[AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController][FindInterfaces] mInt0InterruptMaxPacketSize = 16
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/TOSHIBA MK1237GSX Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 3@3
BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 3
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 8): vendor 0x1106, device 0x3038
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 8): found 3 functions
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_config(bus 8)
IOPCCard info:     fn 0 bar 2: mem 0xa0004000-0xa00040ff
IOPCCard info:     fn 0 bar 5: io 0x120-0x13f
IOPCCard info:     fn 1 bar 2: mem 0xa0003000-0xa00030ff
IOPCCard info:     fn 1 bar 5: io 0x100-0x11f
IOPCCard info:     fn 2 bar 1: mem 0xa0002000-0xa00020ff
IOPCCard info:     fn 2 bar 2: mem 0xa0001000-0xa00010ff
IOPCCard info:     irq 18
IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 2 to card services.
USBF:   41.143  Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
USBF:   41.168  USBLEGCTLSTS value c0000000
USBF:   41.190  Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1 - writing OSOwned
USBF:   41.215  acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001
USBF:   41.340  AppleUSBUHCI: controller reset failed

-----EDIT --------

I've tried to switch off and on AirPort but still no success.

Regards,

Mariusz.

Hi Mariusz,

It happened to me even when I use the orginal IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily. I haven't found the eason why it occured. What I did is switch off and on AirPort and it went away eventually. Also, when I tried to fix the permisions via Disk Utility and it went away. Maybe you can try to fix the permissions via Disk Utility.

Chun-Nan

Hi Mariusz,

It happened to me even when I use the orginal IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily. I haven't found the eason why it occured. What I did is switch off and on AirPort and it went away eventually. Also, when I tried to fix the permisions via Disk Utility and it went away. Maybe you can try to fix the permissions via Disk Utility.

Chun-Nan

I've just checked under Tiger (along with your IOPCCard rev1_fix) and I can see some device conected to FW but ist unknown, probalby there is no driver for my IDE->FireWire adapter.

Thank you Chun-Nan!

Regards,

Mariusz.

hi chun-nan

i was reading the dmesg log of rev6 under leopard:

Intel PCIC probe: O2Micro OZ711MP1/MS1 rev 21

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: , O2Micro OZ711MP1/MS1 rev 21

IOPCCard info: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.

IOPCCard16Device: binding socket 1 function 0 to card services.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/USB7@1D,7/AppleUSBEHCI/NOONTEC USB Storage@fd410000/MSC Bulk-Only Transfer@0/IOUSBMassStorageClass/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceNub/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00/IOBlockStorageServices/IOBlockStorageDriver/Maxtor 6 AD1G Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1

BSD root: disk1s1, major 14, minor 3

Resetting IOCatalogue.

VGA: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 0

IOPCCard16Device::matchPropertyTable entered.

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "HP"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

pccardffff,1: family specific matching fails

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR243 PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR241 PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR24x PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

are all those IOPCCard16Device info and IOPCCardDevice errors or bad things?

regards

hi chun-nan

Intel PCIC probe: O2Micro OZ711MP1/MS1 rev 21

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: , O2Micro OZ711MP1/MS1 rev 21

IOPCCard info: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.

IOPCCard16Device: binding socket 1 function 0 to card services.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/USB7@1D,7/AppleUSBEHCI/NOONTEC USB Storage@fd410000/MSC Bulk-Only Transfer@0/IOUSBMassStorageClass/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceNub/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00/IOBlockStorageServices/IOBlockStorageDriver/Maxtor 6 AD1G Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1

BSD root: disk1s1, major 14, minor 3

Resetting IOCatalogue.

VGA: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 0

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "HP"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR243 PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR241 PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR24x PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string).

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

regards

Hi snam11,

I thaink "IOPCCard16Device" means that you have 16bit PCMCIA. I guess your pccard it doesn't have that gold strip across the connector.

"IOPCCardDevice: VersionOneInfo[0], "SCR243 PCMCIA"(match string) != "O2Micro"(CIS string)." means that your device doesn't match their database. I still haven't found where they store "VersionOneInfo[0]" information or I would have tried to take a look at it. Maybe someone who know where it is located can let me know.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

I have tried your rev6 (both kext file). So far my PCMCIA/CardBus slot/adapter is working perfectly as it should be. No "physical" changes/behavior that I can tell so far, but it is working with my PCMCIA wireless card (Linksys WPC54G). Just like when I use rev1 & rev3 kext file. :rolleyes: I attached here my dmesg & system.log message.

Thank you. :)

dmesg_rev6.txt

systemlog_rev6.txt

ioreg_kizwan.txt

Mariuz did you get your firewire working?

Macpo

Hi Macpo,

no, it did not work. It was only one time when I could see 'Unknown device' (IDE-> FireWire adapter) in System profiler under FireWire tab, but under Tiger, not Leopard. This is only one FW device I have access to, but it is not mine, so I have no chance for further tests.

Do you also have the same problem with FW?

Regards,

Mariusz.

Hi Mariuz,

I have this problem since rev1, the sysem profiler says "unable to list firewire devices". I have an Edirol sound card that goes with firewire, but it doesn't work at all. I think there must be a conflict between firwire kexts or something like that. The problem is that it is very difficult to troubleshoot, because all the firewire kexts load correctly or that is what the system says. Anyway if I find something I will let you know...

Macpo

Chun Nan IOPCIFamily rev6 leopard didnt work at all on my 10.5.1 system it crashed all the startup couldnt even boot in -s

i had no log but i could trace in -v the bug was linked to AppleIOUSBFamily that was having null mode or io null , something like that and the IOUSB was tracing till death.

I hope u can fix this bug, im running AppleIOUSBPCGen by Orbit available in the drivers section i dont think it's the problem but who knows!

Chun Nan IOPCIFamily rev6 leopard didnt work at all on my 10.5.1 system it crashed all the startup couldnt even boot in -s

i had no log but i could trace in -v the bug was linked to AppleIOUSBFamily that was having null mode or io null , something like that and the IOUSB was tracing till death.

I hope u can fix this bug, im running AppleIOUSBPCGen by Orbit available in the drivers section i dont think it's the problem but who knows!

Hi cyclonefr,

I compiled the IOPCIFamily from the source code that Apple offers on its website. I believe it is 2.4.

If you get the kernel panic after trying rev6, PLEASE check if you have replaced the following files to make your cardbus slot working before:

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleAPIC

IOACPIFamily

If you did, you probably need to find a way to restore those files first.

If you still get kernel panic, you can take the picture of it if possible. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi cyclonefr,

I compiled the IOPCIFamily from the source code that Apple offers on its website. I believe it is 2.4.

If you get the kernel panic after trying rev6, PLEASE check if you have replaced the following files to make your cardbus slot working before:

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleAPIC

IOACPIFamily

If you did, you probably need to find a way to restore those files first. If you still get kernel panic, you can take the picture of it if possible.

Thanks. Chun-Nan

Indeed, if you don't have these files in stock form (or aren't sure), say so and one of us should be able to attach them to a post for you.

On a further note, it would also be helpful if you could take a screenshot of the kernel panic/hang, AND see if it happens with -v -f -s

Also, it would be worth restoring the stock AppleIOUSBPCGen (or if that's a custom-made one with no stock version, removing it) and seeing if that changes things.

Always work to eliminate things :)

hi chun-nan

<snip>

regards

Hi snam11,

I suspect that Chun-Nan is right about this device being 16bit (that would be my feeling as well, given the details) - my guess is that this device isn't supported, and isn't likely to be.

That's what it's saying though - it's trying to work out what the device is, failing and going "can't use this device.".

Hi Chun-Nan,

I have tried your rev6 (both kext file). So far my PCMCIA/CardBus slot/adapter is working perfectly as it should be. No "physical" changes/behavior that I can tell so far, but it is working with my PCMCIA wireless card (Linksys WPC54G). Just like when I use rev1 & rev3 kext file. :D

I attached here my dmesg & system.log message.

Thank you. :D

Glad it's working :D

Grats on that.

One thing to watch for - if you get any kernel panics, or the system freezing, please document it as best you can (panics on boot, hopefully they'll be with -v, in which case you can take a picture..).

Hi Macpo,

no, it did not work. It was only one time when I could see 'Unknown device' (IDE-> FireWire adapter) in System profiler under FireWire tab, but under Tiger, not Leopard. This is only one FW device I have access to, but it is not mine, so I have no chance for further tests.Do you also have the same problem with FW?

Regards,Mariusz.

My suspicion is that system profiler does it a bit differently in leopard, and the device doesn't have support.

It's possible you could get support for it from elsewhere - what ide chipset does it use? (Linux & windows would be useful sources of info there - in windows use UnknownDevices - www.halfdone.com/ukd )

Hi Mariuz,

I have this problem since rev1, the sysem profiler says "unable to list firewire devices". I have an Edirol sound card that goes with firewire, but it doesn't work at all. I think there must be a conflict between firwire kexts or something like that. The problem is that it is very difficult to troubleshoot, because all the firewire kexts load correctly or that is what the system says. Anyway if I find something I will let you know...Macpo

Was the card recognised before you started using Chun-Nan's IOPCCardFamily kexts?

Have you checked with rev6?

I used test3 with rev5, both files (so IOPCIFamily from test3 and IOPCCardFamily from rev5.

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend you upgrade to rev6 now - and report any issues you may have.

This just say THANKS!!! to Chun Nan and Equate. I finally have a fully functional PCMCIA slot on my DELL Latitude D820.O2 Micro OZ711EZ1 venid 1217 devid 7135.

Great work!!

Thanks!

robcad

Glad to hear it's working :P I think you must be the first person to report in either of the threads that's been using the same CardBus controller as me! :P

Have you checked to see if firewire devices work?

Cheers,

EqUaTe

Edited by EqUaTe