• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

Envying

Envying

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks Mike, please check your PM! Cheers!

andyph666

andyph666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hmm.. I think mike is right thats its a multi core issue because when i just update software update it works fine but when i do that and other things i get a kernel panic. I just reinstalled everything.

Objection

Objection

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yeah, the more I think about it the more that makes sense. Eager to see what the solution is. ;)

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Yeah, the more I think about it the more that makes sense. Eager to see what the solution is. :blush:

Likewise

MikeInNs

MikeInNs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Ok, thanks guys! I have enough people by now who are willing to put there hackintosh on the line and test the driver. The changes are done so hopefully this will do the trick. Anyone who signed up will receive the driver shortly.

Once again, Thanks! really appreciated!

Mike

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
:)

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
hi mike,

i posted a comment saying it doesnt freeze, it freezes after some extensive usage... in fact the whole thing freezes at once..

great work though, i hope bugs can be fixed soon...

HenningL

HenningL

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

hi mike,

i posted a comment saying it doesnt freeze, it freezes after some extensive usage... in fact the whole thing freezes at once..

great work though, i hope bugs can be fixed soon...

got exactly the same problem on my machine, i'm running the same mobo as mysticus, only with core2duo. extensive usage just freezes the whole system. for example i ran software update and after about 60mb of downloaded updates, the system just locked up and i had to restart.

cu and thanks for the efforts on this driver!

MikeInNs

MikeInNs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Ok, just a quick heads up, i am aware of the system freezing under heavy usage.
Currently I am testing a new driver with the help of some people from this forum (Thanks :D

So as soon as we have got it stable enough for release I will post the updated driver.

andyph666

andyph666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks mike :whistle:. We are here if you need any testing or help.

Envying

Envying

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Update:

Tiger:
Tested with driver in #1 post under tiger, had to add device id:0x0269 in info.plist. Works like a charm!

Leo:
Did same thing under Leo, it froze my system if doing same dling from same site. Got email with test driver will test it tonight and report it back here.

Thanks for great jobs! Mike.

zephyroth

zephyroth

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
If it can help, i tried your driver on NForce 4 and freezes stops when I put cpus=1 at boot .

It's the same with all forcedeth.kext (-d, -nock, -nock-d) I found, boot with cpus=1 fix the issue.

Envying

Envying

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Mike, just let you know. The second test driver under leo is working great so far, if too many threads jammed the traffic, it will stop sending or receiving not freeze the system like your described in the mail. Cool!

PS, just found out, if I turn to xp and turn back to leo, network won't work, have to shutdown power for a while and turn back on to get NIC working.

Objection

Objection

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just to quell the crowd before everyone starts asking for the "test driver".

I can not say the same about my own system. I've had two kernel panics running the new driver all under network load. One seemingly at random (because I was simply browsing the net) and another shortly after initiating a network file transfer with my MacBook.

Let's keep news of the status of the drivers to e-mails so that Mike isn't swarmed with people asking for a driver that's probably going to freeze their system just as often as it'll work correctly. =)

Envying

Envying

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Just to quell the crowd before everyone starts asking for the "test driver".

I can not say the same about my own system. I've had two kernel panics running the new driver all under network load. One seemingly at random (because I was simply browsing the net) and another shortly after initiating a network file transfer with my MacBook.

Let's keep news of the status of the drivers to e-mails so that Mike isn't swarmed with people asking for a driver that's probably going to freeze their system just as often as it'll work correctly. =)

Sorry, OB, you are right. This is still under testing. All others please be patient, and give mike some free time for further development and troubleshooting.

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
Still experiencing issues*kernel panic* under network load and after switicing from windows to mac i have to remove the power source to get it up and running again. Keep up the good work!

 Mysticus C*

 Mysticus C*

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
hello mike,

i was wondering, why would u not post the beta as well, so more people can test it and give u more feedbacks therefore u can tweak quicker?

just suggestion,

thank you, and good luck with the development...

JaE-V

JaE-V

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

hello mike,

i was wondering, why would u not post the beta as well, so more people can test it and give u more feedbacks therefore u can tweak quicker?

just suggestion,

thank you, and good luck with the development...

if you want it PM him, he isnt hiding it or anything

MeDevil

MeDevil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 99 posts

Ok, after looking at the source code a bit more I think what is happening is that we have a 'multithreading' problem.

Why?
- Working on 1 core works.
- Several applications usings the NIC can cause problems (1 app. in general works).
- Leo deals differently with multi-threading then tiger. (Tiger working fine)
- Source code is not 'multithreading safe'.

Currently the driver supports multi-threading, although in a very wacky way, so what is happening is that two applications are writing to the output queue at the same time, normally a locking mechanism is in place which will prevent this, but in our case it is allowed and resulting in freezes and kernel panics etc.

The plan is to bring the driver back to 'single threaded' mode and hopefully get this issue resolved.
What I am looking for are some volunteers who are experiencing problems, and have of course have Leo. installed who are willing to test the driver. If you are, send me a PM with your e-mail address, I don't want to post the driver here yet because it is all very experimental. I will make the changes later on tonight and when I am done, e-mail them out.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, also be sure to check out the new IOEthernet framework from the apple developer site. I've noticed that a buffer is free() where in tiger it was not (a buffer passed by the forcedeth driver).
Let me know if you need help with this!

Best regards, Domenico.

iNoob

iNoob