How can I increase my Leopard partition size?

A Hamster

118 posts in this topic

For those of you that are experiencing the problem of losing your active flag that DON'T have windows and whatnot to fall back on, try out the following:

Boot from your install disk with the -s flag. After everything is loaded do the following:

1. fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
  2. flag 1
  3. update
  4. write
  5. quit
  6. reboot

This did the trick for me.

You should also verify/repair the disk and permissions, though I noticed this will break the time machine fix, so you'll need to reinstall the IONetworkingFamily.kext and reset it's permissions to 755 and own it back to root:wheel.

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could advise me before I take the plunge and do this, heres the situation;

I installed OS X from DVD onto my HDD. I then installed a more up to date version on a 2nd partition, leaving me with a HDD with 2 partitions - each with a working version of Leopard on them. I decided to delete the first install and I have been using the second partition since. When I view my HDD in Disk Utility, I have my current partition with empty space above it due the deletion of the first partition - I can increase the size downwards (not downwards in size but literally) using the GUI, but not upwards to use the free space that is left on my HDD.

So, my questions are;

Will the method detailed in previous posts to merge two partitions work in my scenario?

If so, can I create an unformatted partition in OS X, or do I have to use windows?

Will me installing a fresh copy of Leopard on a new partition above my current one, then using Migration Assistant to copy my files over from the other volume be just as effective?

Thanks for any advice on this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[code

Merging partitions into a new partition

Start partition: disk0s5 osx

Finish partition: disk0s6 HFS

error writing partition map: MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323)

Merging partitions encountered error MediaKit reports illogical request (-5323) on disk disk0s5 osx. The erase will not occur.[/code]

Both disk0s5 and disk0s6 are erased with HFS+ Journaled. Any ideas on why this error is still coming up for me?

My Disk is MBR.

Same problem, but this method works also with disk mbr?

Partitions merged but filesystem messed-up

Hi. My initial setup SATA 149.1GB:

disk0s1 - WINDOWS (NTFS)- 30GB

disk0s2 - FILES(NTFS) - 90GB

disk0s3 - OSX(HFS+) - 20GB

What I did:

• Booted Sabayon Linux(LiveCD). Deleted disk0s2 using Gparted
  • Created 2 unformated Partitions (in Gparted) 71GB and 27GB.
  • After restarting, it failed to boot on my hdd. booted again on linux livecd then set the flag of my osx disk to 'boot' (using gparted)
  • Leopard boots. Run diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s3 disk0s4. no errors were reported. Checked the partition, the changes we'rent reflected so I rebooted
  • This time, HDD boot failed again "Error Loading Operating System"
  • Boot again on Linux Live CD, check partition on gparted, the OSX disk was already set to 'boot', but it recognizes the merged partition as Linux Filesystem
  • Tried booting the Leopard Installer, run Disk Utility. It can see the merged partition but it cannot recognize filesystem. Running verify volume failed. Repair Disk disable.

Can this be fixed? Thanks.

you need MbrFix.

from windows's cmd do:

<your path to MBRFix>\MbrFix /drive <your drive number> listpartitions

note down your partition's number

<your path to MBRFix>\MbrFix listpartitiontypes

note down the partition type ID for HFS+

<your path to MBRFix>\MbrFix /drive <your drive number> /partition <your partition number> setpartitiontype <the ID for HFS+>

everything without <>

now you should be done

pay extra atention to your partition number as you don't want to make another partition unreadable

I haven't tested this but I think I spelled the commands right 

only do this if you have MBR not GUID

• 3 weeks later...

i have GUID and it failed, now I cant see my install partition but i can see the partition to be merged, tried repair disk and verify disk from diskutility after booting of install disk but it didnt work. I get "Error: Filesystem verify and repair failed."

Please help!!

Ok, I've started with a 15 GB partition (on a 400GB disk). In Vista I've created a second partition but did not format it. From Leopard I've erased the newly created partition and then used:

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2

did the trick (New is the name, it will actually be ignored).

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

does it work with both MBR and GPT ?? I would like do this in my MBR partition..

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it works with MBR.

For people who got the "mediaKit reports partition (map) too small" error...something weird worked for me. My setup was something like:

1:			  Apple_HFS						 50 GB   disk0s1
  2:			  Apple_HFS						 50 GB   disk0s2 
  3:		   Windows_NTFS					10 GB   disk0s5

I wanted to merge the two HFS+ partitions but kept getting that "partition map too small" error. I reformatted the NTFS partition to HFS+ and merged disk0s2 and disk0s5 fine. That merged partition then merged with the first partition without the error making my entire disk one partition.

Not sure why it worked, but maybe it offers some insight to someone.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for me this was quite easy:

Before I have 3 partitions on a 1 TB drive

- partition 1 with the system on it ( HFS+ Journaled)

- partition 2 with files ( HFS+ Journaled)

- partition 3 empty with fat formated

partition was for me to small

I started Disk Util and choose the drive ( 931,5 GB Samsung)

and choose the partition tab

- you see the 3 partitions

- click in the field of partition 2

- click the minus sign above and confirm the dialog

- do the same for partition 3

- then you have only 1 partition left- your system start disk

- click in this partition 1 and resize it with the mouse or put in the desired size and apply

- click the plus sign and create a new partition and apply

this works for me fine on a Gigabyte P35-DS4 !

• 2 months later...
Ok, I've started with a 15 GB partition (on a 400GB disk). In Vista I've created a second partition but did not format it. From Leopard I've erased the newly created partition and then used:

diskutil list

that listed back 2 partitions with the identifiers: disk1s1 and disk1s2 (in other cases might be disk0...)

Now,

The first partition will be kept intact and the second one will be "merged" therefore you will loose all contents (I made sure it was empty before running the merge just in case).

If I create a new partition in W7 it'll be "disk0s4" and OSX will be "disk0s2" (EFI is disk0s1 & W7 is disk0s3). Will it work if I still do this only replace the correct disk name (disk0s4 instead of disk1s2)? I can merge even though they are separated by the W7 partition. W7 is NTFS & OSX is HFS+, GPT.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly writing notes so I don't have to go through this again, but I'm sure someone can benefit from this.

Before - Dell Optiplex 755 with 10.5.8 Vanilla

1 Visible HFS+ partition, 160GB Samsung Disk.

Wanted to upgrade to larger 640GB WD Harddisk. That task was simple, doing a sector for sector copy with freeware called Easeus Disk Copy (Bootable CD, 640GB drive hooked to internal hidden 2nd SATA port and powered by external SATA power adapter).

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

It created an exact duplicate, and booted just fine. However, you could not add a partition, or resize with just about anything, even tried iPartition Boot CD.

The only way around this, was to boot a minipe disk (google it), go to paragon hard disk manager, and delete a 100mb or so partition that was hidden, after the main partition. Merge the free space at the end, and reboot into OS X.

Now you can resize the GUID 1st partition, or at least make a 2nd partition on the new drive. I chose to make a 2nd partition, and it just worked. I don't know what the 100mb partition at the end was, but since I still had the original disk, and was working off a clone, didn't really matter if it didn't work. I highly recommend you doing the same, unless you don't care about the install.

To backup, I just use an identical 640GB drive, that I occasionally hook up and copy with the Easeus Disk Copy boot CD. Additional note, you don't have to copy all 640GB if you only had a 160GB partition and some free space. You can cancel the copy about 27-30% into it, and it will still work fine (the Disk Copy is sector by sector, so it's slow, this will save you some time).

• 2 months later...

I know this thread hasn't seen an update in a while, but I went througfh the steps and came accross something a little unexpected.

My setup is a ideneb 10.6.8 and I had setup my laptop's 60GB disk into 3 equal partitions which someone came out to 18.8GB each. So it looked like:

ideneb 18 .8GB

ideneb10-8-6 18.8GB

openfornow 18.8GB

In an attempt to expand my ideneb10-8-6 partition, i deleted the 'openfornew' partition, and that when the ideneb10-8-6 partition area on the disk utility ui became twice as large taking up the space that was taken up openfornow. The information about the partition oddly still says it 18.8GB.

The diskutil outpout shows:

bash-3.2# diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *55.9 Gi disk0

1: Apple_HFS deneb1 18.8 Gi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS ideneb10-5-8 18.8 Gi disk0s2

Here's my output from an fdisk...

Disk: /dev/disk0 geometry: 7296/255/63 [117210240 sectors]

Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: AF 0 1 1 - 1023 254 63 [ 63 - 39332224] HFS+

*2: AF 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 39332349 - 39332224] HFS+

3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

Questions is, how can I fix the partition table so I can get that last partition back?

• 2 months later...

Hi to all,

i'm about to try this way of resizing, but one question remain, can one do the same thing but in a diferent partition order ?

(this is the normal way , disk1s1 (is the OS to be resizd) and disk1s2 (the empty space)

but in my case the OS is in disk1s3 , and empty space is disk1s2 , so can i type the following command without problems ? :

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s3 disk1s2

thanks

Did not found it, but anyway i manage this making a full system backup with time machine, and then restore it to the big empty part of my disk ( and before the partition i was in need to resize ), so now i have the system running in the bigger partition , leaving the smaller one after this one, making possible to use the merge keeping the sequencial order that is needed .

thanks anyway!

• 8 months later...

diskutil list

Now,

thank you very much, you saved my life! ;)

Okay, this is for snow leopard, but zuza saved my life!

Here is how I merged the partitions.

My initial partition scheme

Windows 30 GB -> MacOSX (20GB) -> NTFS partition (105 GB)

(disk0s1) -> (disk0s2) -> (disk0s3)

Step 1: Delete the NTFS partition in Windows. Do it via the Disk management. You should get a black color section (not green, which means free space).

Step 2: Open up cmd.exe

C:\> diskpart

DISKPART> list disk

DISKPART> select disk 0

DISKPART> list partition

(At this point, I could see 30 GB and 20GB drives. I was NOT ABLE TO SEE the 105GB drive, because it is NOT FORMATTED)

DISKPART> create partition primary id=af

(will create a primary partition of 105 GB)

DISKPART> exit

Step 3: Boot into OSX. Goto disk utility. On the left pane, click disk0s3. Click on Erase tab and click Erase button.

Step 4: Open terminal

sudo su

(become root)

diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s2 disk0s3

(will take some time)

Step 5: Reboot.

That's all :)