*** GeForce 8800 G80 ONLY - Easy Installer & Tutorial ***

mac.nub

316 posts in this topic

And now for the replies to all your questions...

Wenle Z. - A 640MB 8800GTX should work fine.

lord_muad_dib & zephyroth - Thanks for the heads up, it allowed me to get it working on my PC, and create the AMD/nForce fix!

ampersAnd - To change the resolution you will have to do the following I believe...

Type sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist in Terminal and hit enter.

The file will load and look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x1200x32@75</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

1600x1200 is the resolution, 32 is the colour depth (32 bit), 75 is the refresh rate.

Make sure to save changes before you quit terminal! (Press Ctrl + O, press enter, press Ctrl + X, then you can close terminal)

ceboulba - No one I know of has tested them on a real Mac Pro, but I see of no reason for it not to work with these drivers, let us all know how you get on!

jeremy065 - Try the new Easy installer. Try without re-plugging, if that doesn't work, try it with re/hot-plugging. Re/hot-plugging is described as you said: take your monitor plug out once it's started booting. Listen for the hdd to calm down then put the cable back in. If all went to plan you'll see a screen with it all working. Make sure you plug the cable in the slot nearest the motherboard! - You don't need to edit anything, just install and reboot!

ntloser - I'm glad it all worked out well for you! :D

misth - you won't get QE/CI until your card is supported, it currently isn't!

Snakehn - Glad it all works fine for you, and personally I hardly use windows now anymore :censored2: Except when I have to on my university course!

mivanitsky - Good to see more reports of everything working :)

TylerAfx - Try the new installer, and also try the AMD/nForce fix to see if it makes any difference. Also, make sure you plug the cable in the slot nearest the motherboard if you have more than one!

macgirl - Thanks :)

p-J - No problem!

devilhood - np mate :)

Wow... that took a while to answer!

Cheers,

~mac.nub

Him mac.nub.. thank for your effort...

I have installed file your installer.

And now I can see 8800gtx and 768m ram in my os x.

But I have same problem like ampersAnd.

I can't change any resolution and reflah rate.

I did you told that edit com.apple.Boot.plist, but never changed.

How do I do.. :censored2:

It's my computer.

Jas 10.4.8 + Koolkal 10.4.10 update

24inch LCD Monitor(1920x1200)

Gigabyte 965p-ds3 rev.2.0

Intel C2D e6600

Gefoece 8800gtx 768ram

thanks

p.s. Forgive me.. I'm short in Engligh..

Odd, adding

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32@75</string>

Should work, make sure you save the file before you quit terminal! Did you do that? Or did you just quit terminal after editing? If so the changes won't have been saved.

To save changes Press Ctrl + O, press enter, press Ctrl + X, then you can close terminal.

Also, if you have a different refresh rate change @75 to whatever you may have, e.g. @60

~mac.nub

I've just tryed it on my setup, it does load nvinject but it hangs when loading the loginwindow app? Maby there is a fix for that?

To be honest I have no idea, and as I do not have an AMD system there is no way for me to try to do anything about it... as your card is not supported it's likely due to this.You'd be better posting in the "Unofficial- Geforce 8" thread about that, as I am not part of the development for the NVinject kext, I just made everything easy to install, and fixed the 8800 Series problems with AMD/nForce motherboards by editing a few kexts.

Works for me 8500 GT 512 MB. Good Job.

Your 8500 GT has QE and CI enabled? If so that's the first i've heard of non 8800 series cards being supported by this!

~mac.nub

Vimes - Glad you got the card working! Question - If you open System Preferences, and click Displays - does it show 1280x1024 as an available resolution? If not, the resman kext is obviously limiting the max resolution somehow.

~mac.nub

Odd, adding

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32@75</string>

Should work, make sure you save the file before you quit terminal! Did you do that? Or did you just quit terminal after editing? If so the changes won't have been saved.

To save changes Press Ctrl + O, press enter, press Ctrl + X, then you can close terminal.

Also, if you have a different refresh rate change @75 to whatever you may have, e.g. @60

~mac.nub

I did it...

Edit correctly and save too... but.. :)

jeremy065 - Honestly I have no idea, interestingly I just tried a similar thing on my monitor - I only have a 1440x900 max resolution, however in windows it will let me run it with the 75Hz refresh rate. Now... Mac loaded fine when I set it to load at 75Hz mode, I checked what it was running at using the screen options, and it was still running at 60Hz mode!

I am wondering, if maybe because NVDAResman.kext hasn't been specifically designed for the GeForce 8800 series, it doesn't know how to allow different refresh rates, or screen sizes other than the defaults provided by either the monitor, or OS X.

Looks like you may just have to live with 60 Khz refresh rate for now.

Vimes - Only thing I can think of, is as you have to use the hot plug method, maybe NVDAResman,kext does not get to set the screen resolution correctly, and therefore it defaults to a lower resolution when the monitor is plugged in after booting - you'll have to wait and see if gotoh can come up with a solution for this I'm afraid!

Megnus - The MacBook Pro Software Update file was intended for installation only on OS X 10.4.9 or higher, this is not to say that it won't run on 10.4.8, what I can say is there's no harm in trying it under 10.4.8, you can always delete GeForce.kext if need be to access OS X again if something goes wrong!

Wenle Z. - No idea, I've been so busy making packages/answering people's questions, that I haven't had a chance to test it out for myself properly yet! Then again, I don't actually have any Mac games to test it with currently!

~mac.nub

I've have to report success with 8800gts 320 mb. The main thing for my system was to update to 10.4.10. And to hotplug the monitor of course. Resolution change doesen't work, but this is a good start.

Thanx again! I will post my future findings...

update: resolution change results in blue screen... it seems that the driver itself is working only with native laptop resolutions, as soon as I select another one, like 1280x1024 at any rate, it leaves me in blue :o

and one question: how can i reset the resolution in osx, except from display utillity? Because now I can't boot even when hotpluging the monitor...

i've found out :), just removing any NVDAResman.kext and going back to vesa 1024x768 cures my problems

Since it seems resolution chat is in this thread, I'm have a problem as well, my boot plist is set to 1440x900x32 and it boots up to 1152x864x32.

I can access the resolution list, it doesn't crash right away, and I can see 1440x900 up there, but of course when I click it I blue screen. Also tried hotplugging while changing it, don't know why i thought that would work :blink:

Hi there!! I tried your package on 8600GT (I know it's not supported yet, I just want to give it a try). Of course, it crashed on reboot. But one thig I noticed, y that my card was recognized when I enter in verbose mode.

it shows me "NVinject: Setting model=G84 GeForce 8600 GT".

Is that normal??

See that file attached. Is a pic of the terminal in verbose mode

(sorry for my english, I'm from argentina)

post-141195-1192071721_thumb.jpg