Ugly UI In Leopard

madhur

45 posts in this topic

You are sooo right.

But I hope, now, that the iPhone is finally on sale, the UI-designteam goes back to Leopard and put some serious enhancements in the next builds.

I don't know, if anyone noticed, but even almost all Icons in 9a466 are the smaller 128 px Icons which look horable in views like Coverflow with big images or the new search-results with a slider, that allows much bigger views of Icons. The new composed PDF-Icons look great, almost finder-windowfilling on a MBP. Also the new folders. But everything else get's blurry. I hope they have time to add all high res icons.

I found that in Tiger, the menubar actually "popped out" and drew focus away from the window you're in. Maybe it was just me...

vistaaeroenabledtaskbarny4.pngfinderspotlight20070611ri6.jpgOf course Leopard isn't copying Vista! No, not at all....
Dude, I don't see what you want to prove here. I don't see any similarities between your two screenshots.And I don't understand why everbody is saying that the Leopard UI is a copy of Vista.

Get the facts.

- Vista is full of flashy colors: flashy green, flashy red, flashy blue, gloss black.

- Leopard have almost no colors: everything is gray now.

So the Leopard UI sucks, but not the same way as Vista, sorry.

3) The new dock is a polished dock taken from Sun's Project Looking Glass ....
... taken from the Apple dock. :thumbsdown_anim:

And for having used it, the Sun dock is just a joke. Not that it's not finished yet, but it's ugly and hasn't changed since it was introduced.

4) The only thing that keeps me from screaming at Apple is that WWDC is as the name implies "DEVELOPERS' Conference". Not CONSUMER. We all focused to the things shown on Day 1. No-one really knows what core technologies were showcased to developers the following days. And they HAD to be revo/evolutionary. If that were a consumers' conference,k then I'd be worried.
You should scream. It was a WWDC yes, but Steve only shows End User features...

If it really was a conference for developpers, he should have talked about the new multithreaded kernel, the new Cocoa API, and not iChat, Stack, the new Mail, Time machine etc ...

I found that in Tiger, the menubar actually "popped out" and drew focus away from the window you're in. Maybe it was just me...

Might be just you. :-P

I finally got around to trying Leopard and can't say I am overly impressed with the current GUI changes as implemented in this beta.

Prior to switching to OS X I was a long time Linux user. Beryl was a big thing for many people with all these fancy and cool looking effects. Wiggly windows, rotating cubes etc. I used about 4 effects from Beryl and always maintained that effects need to be chosen to complement functionality and effects without purpose are just gimmicks/eye candy. I always thought Apple seem to this better than ANY other OS at doing this, but Leopard seems to buck that trend.

• Transparent Menubar - Do no like this at all.
    I know Apple is trying to make the Windows draw more focus, but we still use the menubar. At the very least this needs to be a user option has on some backgrounds it is terrible.

• Window Drop Shadow - Too big.
    Again I know they are trying to distinguish the window that has focus, but I find it a bit distracting. Also, lots of time I do work between two windows, comparing, drag and dropping, etc and this doesn't help.

• 3D Dock - Although it looks cool, I don't see how this improves functionality.
    Additionally, many people use the dock on the left or the right and this 3D look doesn't work as well there. Again this should be a user option.

• Dock indictors - Don't like the glowing blue running indicator used with 3D icons.
    The old black triangle was quicker to check the status with the corresponding icon. With leopard, due to the space between glowing blue and the icon needed for the reflection, although minor, I find it takes longer to pick up.

• Time Machine - Like.

• Finder Functionality - Like. (Includes coverflow)

• Finder Look - Hate.
    I can't stand the darker look to finder windows. (OK in iTunes, but not here)
    I prefer the brushed metal and hope this is a user option. I'ts great going for a uniform/consitent look, but the user should have some control over that.

• Spaces - Long time coming.
    It usefulness might not be appreciated by average users, but for those that have used it on other platforms or with addons know how useful it can be and are glad its included.

• Stacks - So So.
    Why the curved layout? To show off that OS X can do angled text and angled graphics smoothly?
    I find that most of my "important" directories have many files so when using stacks I get the grid layout. Well looking at 100 small icons of similar type files isn't much help for me.
    Maybe with a directory of phtotos this might be useful still, but for anything else unless the directory only holds a few items I don't get want so great.
    (Have always been able to click folders in the dockand get a scrollable list of everything. Just add bigger preview icons to that and would be more useful for me.

• Quicklook - I like.

Of course Leopard will have many improvements beyond any GUI changes, I just worried that flash is taking over for substance in regards to the GUI.

Things may change before final release but I hope at least they give us the option to not use it if they stay with this. (Although I doubt it.)

common !!! really ... thang dont cut it ........ fine its thing .... for all the dictionary readers , who use spell check........... i am sorry for my innapropriate slang language .

I am awfully sorry .....

I think ... i am growing into leopard ....my final verdict is , if they put in more work in the UI , and if they give us a few other secretive good features (300) , than i will still buy it ..... i am sincerely devoted to mac ....... AND I PLEDGE MY UNDYING DEVOTION TO YOU "Mr Steve Keynote Jobs" ,

Thanks For all the Comments

Its appreciated

Yours Insanely

Madhur

P.S - Thanks for correcting me vertigo . guess what ? i am putting a spell check on every word you write ... just messing with ya ......

Even if it's ugly, I will buy it anyway. If fact you will be obliged to if you want to use all the new release iWork/iLife/iTunes and all independant softwares.

At least, with all improvements to the network stack/kernel, Leopard will be faster, that's a good point.

Guys I think you expect too much from an X release. Its not Mac OS XI, instead its Mac OS X. Yes I don't like everything, maybe I like some things more the way it looks in Tiger, but maybe its because I use Tiger for 2 years now and got used to it. Give Leopard some time and wait until we see the final release in October. Many of those things that we talk about might change. Apple said its a feature full release, not a UI perfection. Really I don't remember anybody complaining so much when we moved from Panther to Tiger... maybe too many "Windows" philosophy users are jumping in to this platform?

You are maybe not aware, that Apple decided to change their numbering-system with os 10. The steps between the os-versions are not smaller than in the 90ies. If they sticked to their older scheme, we would be at Mac OS 15 with Leopard.

I think, Mac OS 11 will be no bigger step in any way, than 10.3 to 10.4 or 10.4 to 10.5.

they might decide to go over the top because they are changing from the 10.s to the 11s

i never really thought of it, but i realise you are right, i feel like i am less distracted in 10.5

The transparent menubar doesn't draw your focus away from whatever you're working on, like it did in Tiger.

I find it far more distracting. The menu was a solid white bar in Tiger, now I find myself looking at a thin slice taken off the top of Jennifer Garner's head the whole time! :(

The new window color is far too dark. Many, many apps now look stupid. And the aqua buttons, which I infinitely prefer to the grey ones, contrast far too much. They've taken it too far. I always wanted to lick OS X before, it looked so lush and watery. Now it's just dull and dirty looking.

Big thumbs up to unified interface.

Big thumbs down to dark dirty looking windows.

the new interface is windows like, i like the aqua interface. When i installed os x on my imac for the first time, i was so surprised (therefore i used os 9 and xp) that i've been starring for ours at the screen. The leopard UI is super ugly and the most ugly thing is the finder, that itunes look is nice, but not for a finder. There are to many rectangles in the finder, not just a clear look like in tiger. the new finder is almost confusing. And with the ugly grey bars, it's like a nice version of windows 95. I was waiting for a Illuminous interface, which is very, very nice (dark colors are much better for the eyes) and userfriendly. The new UI is a ugly pimped version of Tiger

i think its funny that apple used to really push all of their colored machines, all the diffrent fruit colors, now what do we have, every thing is pretty much all sliver, including the OS i really question apples line of thinking sometimes, i agree too that the transparent menu bar is far worse than the white one, at first it thought it would be cool, but as soon as i had a background rotated to that was black and white at the top, it couldnt tell what the headings were.

i also agree that the stupid blue active light is a pain in the butt

and my dock magnifies choppily, but yes its a beta