Linux or Mac OS X ?

The_true_power

134 posts in this topic

I prefer Mac OS ... i havent had any good experience with linux and i really dont care about cube effects and stuff i just wants an os that works in a logical way , translation = im too lame to make Linux work fully functional on my PC :)

i tried linux ubuntu ans suse and Mac OS X on My PC.

now i can say i don't use any OS otherwise Mac OS X.

it is easy to use and nicer OS i had seen and i was hope in the past that can use Mac OS X and this be true now and i'm very happy about that OS Thanks for all who help us to make us use this os in our pc.

especialy,you can't work with linux if you don't have background in programming.

i can say that linux still hard to us it especialy i'm graphic designer and don't found my favorites programms version to linux so,how can i use it? and many programms esle not graphics only.

this is my view in (MAC or linux).

bye,khaled :P

My interest in OSX came about when Apple nicked the code from BSD.and made their changes. I run OpenBSD and FreeBSD and would use OSX more if Apple hadn't deliberately handicapped their implementation of X. I like the Apple hardware but I also like to compile from source. Until I can do that on OS X my use of it will be limited.

I also disagree with the previous comment about having to have prior programming experience to run linux. I've been running linux for 2.5 years now and I've never picked up a book on C++. Almost all configration files are in plain text and if you can read and know how to use the internet you can always find a solution to your problem. Unless there's a bug in the code, but no OS is immune to those. Then again, if there is a bug - and you have the knowledge - you can fix it yourself. That's something that can't be said of closed source/proprietary operating systems.

BTW, ubuntu sucks compared to debian. its a crappy user friendly dumbed down version of a perfectly good linux. get debian etch.

I couldn't agree more. Besides they have stolen everything from Debian, they have renamed it and forked. And they have given nothing back.

• 2 weeks later...

For people who said linux is complicated, maybe they never used it, just heard people say that, or maybe they tried linux 10 years ago and they should update their information. I use ubuntu linux, and i find it very nooby and had a very friendly interface. In my experience i had some difficulties with my wireless, so i use a windows emulation for the driver, it worked :)

I don't say linux is better than Windows or MAC OS and i don't say the opposite, but i prefer linux because it's free (liberty) and it's an opensource, and free (money matter) :wallbash:

Well, i've been using several Linux distro's for about 6 years now. I've started with Redhat 6.2, which became Fedora later on. From Redhat 7 i switched to SuSe, because it had yast and a system-updater. Something Redhat lacked icon_got_frown.gif . Got it 3 year running before i switched over to Ubuntu.

And now i'm still running Ubuntu. It's a powerfull & fast distro. The GUI (gnome by default) is very clear and simplistic, however i don't use X icon_got_emo.gif .

Also got OSX running on my Macbook. "Wow, what a beautiful operating system" was my first thought when i bought my PowerBook G4. Now a days i only use Linux as a server distro and OSX for the rest.

I run Vista, OS X, and Gutsy Gibbon. I prefer OS X by far simply because everything just worked when I installed it, even when I put it on my Dell and VAIO machines. I have a MacBook and I love it. I really like Linux, but for some reason I find it too complicated and I consider myself pretty good with computers. Maybe I'm missing something, but the ease of use just isn't there like it is for the "big two".

I run Vista, OS X, and Gutsy Gibbon. I prefer OS X by far simply because everything just worked when I installed it, even when I put it on my Dell and VAIO machines. I have a MacBook and I love it. I really like Linux, but for some reason I find it too complicated and I consider myself pretty good with computers. Maybe I'm missing something, but the ease of use just isn't there like it is for the "big two".

I find Ubuntu also "complicated", simply because almost nothing works out of the box for me and it has tons of bugs. I am not a newbie, having used Linux for years and having tried literally hundreds of distributions.

• 3 weeks later...
i run Mac OS X, windows XP and Kubuntu - and MAC is by FAR the best

What, in your opinion, makes OS X the best?

I have OS X 10.4.10 and not seeing anything that jumps out at me. I have Debian 4.0 and it seems solid though different. Windows Vista seems to be very user friendly, but not much more than XP unless you run the 64bit version of Vista.

So I am just curious what I am missing as I try to compare all three OSes.

Thanks.

Well I used Windows almost all my life , have tried some Linux distros and actually use OS X ( and Windows for some gaming of course ) .

For me OS X is by FAR the best . Actually I don't like Linux for some motives that people already explained here , like the lots of distros and

different ways of doing things ( due to this loooots of distribuitions , even if this can be seen as something good ) , for me it's unpractical

with installing things and THE WORSE ( of what I've experienced ) is messing with drivers ( did I mention sound ? I think someone already

mentioned that ) . Other thing , thing that may be not important to some people ( or lots of them ) is interface , I just don't like Linux interface ,

I don't like KDE , nor Gnome , I just don't find it good as OS X and Windows ( you can throw a stone at me , Windows is buggy , it crashes and

bla bla bla , I don't like it as well , BUT I don't think it has a bad interface , Vista has a very good one even thou being a resource hog ) .

Someone talked about applications , for me the one that makes lots of difference ( and that Linux doesn't have ) is Adobe Creative Suite 3 , mainly

Photoshop CS3 , DreamWeaver CS3 , Illustrator CS3 and one apart from the suite , LightRoom , you can say what you want but GIMP doesn't come

close to PS , sorry .

Someone I think , asked to say some OS X only applications that are very good , for me they would be iWork '08 , iLife '08 , Final Cut Studio , Logic Pro ,

and of course there are several little apps like MoneyWell that are just very nice ( maybe there are some like it in Linux , but I never heard of anything

like it ) .

Regards ,

Chaos

As a GNU/Linux user since 10 years now, it's easy to predict what I prefer :P

Here some explanations btw :

-Windows : The most biggest joke I ever seen !! It's unstable, closed source and self-destructing (the more you use it, the more it's fragmented/polluated by temporary keys/files/folders) and Windows Vista is by far the worst OS I've ever seen (it take 512-640Mb of memory by itself, doing nothing !!!) ;)

-Mac OSX : Almost Perfect on a REAL mac, a complete disaster most of the time on hackintosh. it's normal, Apple made an incredible OS BUT it really run like it was intended to work on a CONTROLED/RESTRICTED/MASTERED hardware. it's basically like a PS2/Wii/Xbox360 : with a very restricted hardware's list, you can make a far better code, you know exactly what hardware will run this code, what this hardware is capable of and what to do to maximize is potential.

-GNU/Linux : By far the most stable and hardware compatible OS I've ever seen. It become better every day thanks to the community and the fact it's totally open-source, it have a monstrous list of softwares, growing every day too. Nothing to add, it's heaven !! ;)

here is my desktop on my (kinda old) laptop Compaq nx9105, run perfect :

capturerb5.th.jpg

Linux Rulez !! :)

It's all about productivity. Mac and its Applications walks it in most fields, though that said there is nothing to stop you installing Parallels and running XP or Vista or Linux in a window within Leopard/Tiger. The best of all worlds. Linux is very useable these days, though. If you're just surfing, writing documents and watching movies, look no further. Ubuntu is absurdly easy and, keeping to the topic of this thread, the graphical user interface is very easy on the eye. If you're new to computers you're more likely to struggle with XP than Ubuntu, I would think, plus it and all the applications you are likely to need install in under and hour, whereas with XP or Vista you're talking the better part of a then wasted day! There are Linux distros which look identical to Vista and have a similar feel. There are Tiger themes to make Vista look like OS X. Now, if someone would come out with a Vista theme to make it look like Ubuntu, Microsoft might be on to a winner! Sort of kidding. If Microsoft and Apple keep ramping up the colour of their eye candy, someone is going to sue for retina damage.

Well, I know people like Alessandro17 are probably gonna hate me for saying this (sorry :)), but for me it's Linux, specifically Ubuntu. I know it's a fork of Debian but I'm not particularly interested in the politics surrounding it; as far as I'm concerned it's got the best balance between power, flexibility and usability and packages. There's less {censored} to deal with compared to MOST other distros, although admittedly I haven't tried the latest version of OpenSUSE, but after spending years looking for a good distro, once Ubuntu came along I stayed with it like a loyal pet and haven't tried anything since. :lol:

I've seen Leopard in action after getting the flat image to work (never owned a Mac myself). Seems interesting, very slick, has a lot more punch out of the box, plus it supports a lot more commercial software than Linux such as Photoshop/Lightroom, which is something I hope to see change in Linux's future. But, since I prefer a native OS compared to a hack, in answering the question I'd have to go Linux. For now.

Should also mention the high profile of Ubuntu plus its rather large community helps too. There's a few zealots, but you live with them I suppose.

Ubuntu > Windows 2000 > Windows XP > Mac OS X Tiger > Windows Vista > Mac OS X Leopard > Mac OS 9

Just a quick list of favorite operating systems that I have used in the past few months on various machines based on performance, usability, application available, and {censored} that I have had to deal with. Each operating system has its little bit of {censored} to deal with, all on about the same levels, but with different things...

Keep on macKIN'

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose it depends, really. If I owned an honest to goodness Mac, myself, I -might- just say OSX. However, to date, I always had mid-level to serious hardware issues with OSX running on my hackintoshes. To the point where I stopped having anything to do with it between 10.4.8 and 10.5.1

Over the years, I've moved back and forth between Windows, FreeBSD and various linux distros (to end up on ubuntu). At present, I have all three installed in one place or another. I enjoy the console goodness inherent in FreeBSD, but the limitations on my (primarily) ATi graphics hardware inescapably turns me off to it. Ubuntu, on the other hand, is easy to install, supports just about the free world and is oodles of fun to play with. Not to mention fast and powerful. Windows covers most of my work needs (I have the software for it...).

However, now that my Leopard install seems to support everything, I may just convert. Which is not to say I'm not an AVID supporter of OSX and a proponent for the last several years. It's just been unfeasible for me 'till now.

So, at present, it's a toss up between Windows and Ubuntu (if for no other reason than compatibility and usability). :/

If you can get everything working right, go for OS X. If not, just go for Linux and Compiz Fusion. :)

Operating Systems in my preffered order:

Leopard > Vista = Tiger > openSUSE > XP > Everything else > Ubuntu

Mine:

Leopard

Vista

XP