What's wrong with your 8F1111 installation?

domino

81 posts in this topic

Hi all,

GUI slow as heck with QE and CI enabled on an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Same effect with another video card installed which dosen't support acceleration. I noticed that WindowServer eats up nearly 100% CPU when simply moving a window around or minimizing an app. :censored2:

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 PRO G (Intel 865PE/ICH5)

Abit VT7 (Via PT880/VT8237)

P4 2.8 Prescott

2 gig ram

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb AGP

80gig Maxtor PATA

Clean install of 8f1111 with Maxxuss PPF patch for installation DVD. No other patches applied.

Heres the strange part, the system runs beautifully on the VT7. The entire OS runs insanely fast. Damned Gigabyte board has an INTEL chipset and dosen't run like it should.. I find that ironic. I would like to use the Gigabyte board simply because all the onboard goodies are functioning.

Any ideas out there?

Tweaker

Update: Nevermind, I fixed my own problem. It turns out AppleFPMemDriver.kext was the culprit. I deleted the kext and all is well. Maybe this will help someone else.

I used Jas' patch (sse2) to make an install dvd, for 8f1111... the install works fine, the initial configuration work okay, but the system will only run for 10 minutes maximum before i get the grey screen that tells me to reboot... when it runs, it works really well, much faster than my 10.4.1 install... I was able to play a full screen video from the iTunes store without problems, that is until it crashed hard... Any suggestions on what could make it last longer than 5 minutes? I have been trying to get maxxuss' sse3 emulation patches going, but it doesn't seem to make things better

- Updated to Maxxuss V4 Kernel

- Removed AppleFPMemDriver.kex to get USB2 working for my system

- replaced IONetworkFamily.kext with the IONetworkFamily.kext from seed 8f1111 DMG

No problems, no lockups, no app crashed the past ~10hrs. The only remaining annoyance is the mouse without xtraa's dirty work around.

Build 8f1111 Maxxuss Emulator v4 (thanks and credit to Maxxuss)

1 - HP NC6000 Laptop 1.6 Pent M - 1Gb, 40Gb Hd, Ati 9600 Mobility W500 Wireless, Brdcom NetXtreme Gbit.

Oddities:

- System mutes after a minute or so, front buttons for volume and mute work, but it auto-mutes ?

- No battery status in bar, but a dashboard applet shows battery status correctly.

- Mouse glyphs or artifacts

Non-functioning:

Any type of networking - Broadcom not supported OR no drivers available :P

PCMCIA bus not working, I have a couple wireless cards, but neither will power up?

DVD player crashes.

All apps that I have tried work. (haven't throughly tested, just basic stuff)

iLife, iWork, MS Office 04, Macromedia DW8, FW8, FL8, iTunes, CDRW burns fine (Teac)

This was more than enough to get me curious, I am now shopping ebay for a decent deal on an iBook G3 or G4

Thanks to all who have worked on getting this working on non-std. hardware.

hm

Hi all,

GUI slow as heck with QE and CI enabled on an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Same effect with another video card installed which dosen't support acceleration. I noticed that WindowServer eats up nearly 100% CPU when simply moving a window around or minimizing an app. :glare:

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 PRO G (Intel 865PE/ICH5)

Abit VT7 (Via PT880/VT8237)

P4 2.8 Prescott

2 gig ram

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb AGP

80gig Maxtor PATA

Clean install of 8f1111 with Maxxuss PPF patch for installation DVD. No other patches applied.

Heres the strange part, the system runs beautifully on the VT7. The entire OS runs insanely fast. Damned Gigabyte board has an INTEL chipset and dosen't run like it should.. I find that ironic. I would like to use the Gigabyte board simply because all the onboard goodies are functioning.

Any ideas out there?

Tweaker

Update: Nevermind, I fixed my own problem. It turns out AppleFPMemDriver.kext was the culprit. I deleted the kext and all is well. Maybe this will help someone else.

I also have a GIGABYTE board have the K8NSC-939 board

with AMD 3000+ SSE2 SSE3 NX PAE with 768MB PC3200 DDR400 ram

WD 80 gig ATA 100

usb kb and mouse

radeon 9500 128mb

it says CG and QE are supported but it goes hella slow

helps if I run in 16 bit but my cursor disappears when there is animation i think... and during that time everything slows down

platform=x86pc helps a little... I've removed the extension appleTPM kext...

more info shows that I have an apple development machine dunno....

I was stunned about how fast and smooth everything went on the 8F1111-release.

I bought a new computer a few days ago and was installing the "old" 10.4.1 version and upgradet with the 10.4.3-update.

Tried to fix the kext for ac97 it resulted in that osx didn't even boot.

At this time I kinda lost hope for osx86 on my new computer.

Then, though, I tried this new version, and I can only be positive about it.

Incredibly Fast! and stable.

Had a -50 problem with iTunes but found out why on this forum.

The Sound worked from scratch.

Safari works GREAT and Maxxuss page doesn't result in a crash :poster_oops:

Now about the problems:

I use Geforce 6800GS = No CI, QE or OpenGL, only 1024x768x32 *cries*

No SPDIF, sucks =( But I'm happy for the Stereo-sound as I didn't have sound at all with the old osx86.

Doesn't recognize the ethernet on the mainboard. (using a pci-card)

The DWL-122G revision B, wireless adapted, doesn't work, to bad =(

PS2 keyboard doesn't work, don't have any settings in bios to control it either

Have to restart manually, shutdown work sometimes.

Functional so far:

Safari

Preview

Adium

Bittorrent

So, what I need to do;

Get a ATI-card only for osx86, thinking of Radeon X300, cheap and useable. (= 1280x1024, CI, QE and OpenGL, really want to play some games)

Get a working SPDIF out card or similar.

Get a working wireless ethernet adapter.

Get a good USB-keyboard :laser:

Regards Himlaklar

System:

MSI K8N Neo4 Ultra, Nvidia NForce4

AMD 3800+ Venice 2,4 GHz, 512kb

Kingston 512 3200/400 DRR

Geforce 6800GS 168MB

80GB Ata

Edited by Himlaklar

The generic patch for 81111a by JaS is designed to give people MOST compatibility. For most people on decent systems, it will probably end up being slower than 10.4.1.

Applied undo patches to my mach_kernel and everything is VERY fast. XBench still reports a pretty low score of 72, but I don't really believe it's that bad at all.

Just need to apply the fix for the mouse artifacts with my ATi Radeon 9600 Pro and I'm set ;)

My System:

-Intel P4 Prescott 2.8 @ 3.62GHz (No HT, SSE3, No NX)

-MSI 865PE Neo2 Platnum

-Powercolor ATi Radeon 9600 PRO (256MB)

-2x 200GB WD SATA HDD

-1x 10GB Seagate IDE HDD

-Onboard Audio \ Gigabit NIC

-Standard Firewire Card

Performance:

- Over 10.4.1 this KILLS it!

Applications:

-Stuffit Expander 10 (PPC)

-VLC (UB)

-Office 2004 (PPC)

-Macromedia Sudio 8 (PPC)

-Firefox 1.5 (PPC)

-Fetch (PCC)

-Photoshop CS2 (PPC)

-ImageReady CS2 (PPC)

Glitches:

-NONE ANYMORE!! fixed my device ID in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and little mouse artifacting has gone,

also applied 8F1111A patch, could not be any better atm :)

Could you please give a little more detail about your device ID fix in the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin that cleared up the mouse artifacting? I am in the same boat with my 9600. Thanks!

what would be the safest and most effective way of applying the undo patches to the kernel? I would like to set it up so that i can select the test kernel at boot or my original (JaS patched kernel) in case I get system hangs with the new one.

If someone could post a quick HOWTO guide, or point me in the direction of one, that'd be much appreciated. :D

hello OSX86'ers

phew!

just finished installing 10.4.3 on my desktop: (sorry I dont have ALL the model/product numbers etc handy right now but here's the spec - mostly)

ASUS P4 Mobo

HT P4 3.2Ghz

2GB PC3200 Ram

140Gb SATA HD (30Gb for OS X - system/apps)

250Gb SATA HD (100Gb for OS X - data)

Gainward Nvidia 256Mb FX5700 dual head (vendor ID 10de, device ID 0342)

SB Audigy ZS USB Audio

LG DVD-RAM drive

So then, well... everything seems to work ok - that is to say I have the same problems as with the original 10.4.1 build but no new ones, was there any point then you ask? well I think overall the system is faster and no crashes so far so yeah - worth a punt.

I do have 1280x1024 resolution (modified com.apple.Boot.plist), which is nice - but no kext loaded for video card - usual problem so no CI or QE - I can live with this for the moment though I think. I tried the Nvidia beta drivers posted around but this didn't work - problems with dependancies. As I don't really know what I'm doing I've not taken it any further at this stage, although I'm keeping an eye open for developments.

Audio has problems, sound cuts out just often enough to make it really annoying - I can improve it by lowering sample rate to 22khz but lets face it if I wanted tinny music I'd listen to it down a phone line or on {censored} headphones or something. On-board sound doesn't even get a look in which is a shame.

Everything else seems to work ok hardware wise - oh I can't reboot (have to use reset button) but I've not needed to anyway so that's not a problem really at all - I can shut down and press the "on" button if I need to which doesn't bother me.

I have installed and used, so far, without problems the following software:

Ilife 05

Itunes

Firefox 1.5

Macromedia Flash MX 2004 and Dreamweaver MX 2004

Adobe Photoshop CS

Stuffit Expander V9.0

still to try:

reason 3.0

pro-tools

though with the audio problems it won't be much fun if they do work.

Dual Boot:

Ok so XP is in partition 1 of disk 1, os x is partition 2... the chain0 method works for me (have to hit F8 *STRAIGHT* away after selecting "os x" but that is ok)

summary:

On the whole this still amazes me (easy to do) afterall I am running os x on a PC... If the audio and video got sorted properly (or by unofficial means) then I really think I could actually consider dumping XP altogether... I could buy a mac (if anyone wants to give me 2 grand!!! I will) and might one day, but the whole intel thing needs to have happened before I part with any cash. Alternatively I would buy a copy of OS X86 if it were ever released...

next up: my acer aspire 2003wlmi laptop with ati graphics will get the once over - need to sort out the .iso coz at the moment I get that non-emulation booting {censored} (yes I've checked the BIOS and no options) when I try to boot from the install dvd. Don't know if there is a work around - found something on the www that *might* work but have not tried it yet.

will post some x bench stats at some point (in the right thread) and will report on how the laptop goes, if at all.

that's me done, I need to smoke.

peace.

fresh install so i m having some minor problems still...

i tunes -50 error

no resolution higher than 1024 with 9800 pro

azureus and open office don't work

on the other hand i havent "unpatched" yet (SSE 2 > 3 for example) i'll be tweaking it out on sunday we'll see if performance improves...

nice:

firefox

adium

studio mx

work perfectly :jerry:

8F1111G Seems to be alot slower that 10.4.1 on my machine. Disk access has been slowed to a crawl and I cant seem to come up with any working way to fix it.

System Specs

AMD 64 3200 @ 2.15 S754 SSE2

Gigabyte K8VT800M Via Chipset

6800 Ultra AGP

2GB Corsair 3200 XMS

Also iDVD5 does not work for me even with the latest rosetta patches allthough Pages and Toa

st 7 work great. Just my $0.02

8F1111G Seems to be alot slower that 10.4.1 on my machine. Disk access has been slowed to a crawl and I cant seem to come up with any working way to fix it.

System Specs

AMD 64 3200 @ 2.15 S754 SSE2

Gigabyte K8VT800M Via Chipset

6800 Ultra AGP

2GB Corsair 3200 XMS

Also iDVD5 does not work for me even with the latest rosetta patches allthough Pages and Toa

st 7 work great. Just my $0.02

Run 'undo' patches on your mach_kernel. I got a big increase in performance after. Check maxxuss website etc.

Well I got everything up and running very quickly, HUGE difference in performance for me, I went from a 72 in 10.4.1 to a 89 in 10.4.3

I have the occasional Safari Crash, and if I use itunes and go to the burning menu, iTuens crashes even though my DVD/CD Burner is recognized by OSX and usable (I didn't have the crashing in 10.4.1)

OSX86 10.4.3

AMD 3500+ Clawhammer

MSI Neo 2 Platinum

1 GIG Crucial Ballistix

80GB Windows HDD (Dying)

80GB OSX86 HDD

6800NU AGP

Edited by Ke0

Hey, can someone test out this new Firefox version and see if there is still mouse artifacts?

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Intel

I went with a fresh install of 8f1111a/ kernel 4.2b/ Maxxuss Tuning v1.1, in that order. I haven't install MousePose. I don't see the mouse problem browing anymore. In fact, the mouse problem is very minimal when using firefox. A bit scrange because in Safari, it's still very heavy.

for some reason after about 20 minutes use, the GUI starts to realllllllly go slow.

i tried increasing the voltage to my ram, aswell as my CPU, but nothing :)

the weird thing is that my xbench and photoshop tests still yield the same amazing results, but as the user, i feel like somethings wrong wtih the display output or something, because it keeps chugging...

and theres a way i test it too... what i do is mouse-over the dock and just go back and forth across the dock really fast to see if it chops, or stutters.

i checked my activity monitor, and nothing seems to be out of spec.

no memory leaks either.

im using the system in my sig

i'm waiting for the new macvidia drivers, since they've announced new ones for 10.4.3 coming soon.

Hi,

I am having mouse artifacts and downloaded mousepose. I also have a blurry/disappearing mouse curser when it is run over the dock (when magnification is on).

I was also wondering how do I remove the JAS patches from the .iso?

Thanks, Peter

Using 8f1111.dmg patched with JaS patch, then replaced kernel with mach_kernel.orig after install.

Installed to a physical hard drive with VMWare, and running native.... dual-booting with windows chain0 method.

Asus A8N Deluxe Nforce4

Athlon64 3700

2GB Ram

Nvidia 7800GTX 256

The OS is very fast and seems perfectly stable... I haven't been able to get it to crash yet. :D

No video card support, so video playback is slightly choppy with VLC. Audio with iTunes is perfect.

No networking, will need to buy a supported card and a router. (i like my n4 adapter on the MB for windows)

iWeb doesn't work. disappointing. Does anyone know if you need a .Mac account to get iWeb to work?

Just waiting for MacVidia project to release the new work they promised today...!

ps.. I couldn't find any instructions for replacing the patched mach_kernel with the mach_kernel.orig in MacOS after installation.... so I kind of figured it out, but now mach_kernel is visible in Finder, where it was hidden before. Maxxuss sse test program doesn't give the expected results so I think I successfully replaced the patched with the unpatched file... but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

DVD player doesn't work either because I have no nvidia drivers... VLC does though.

I think I've succeeded pretty well!!! :graduated:

Two questions though:

:weight_lift: (1) .. What are the terminal commands to replace the kernel with the unpatched kernel that is in the "Patches" folder from the JaS patch.

:unsure: (2) .. How do I get iWeb to work?

Thanx to all of you forum members and especially to Maxxuss, MacGirl, Cyrana and JaS...

420, are you getting a specific errors in iWeb? Or are you not able to upload to .mac? I NEED an account at .mac to be able to upload the site you created. If you don't have a .mac account, you can export to folder, then upload the files to your own host.

taken from maxxuss site:

Tip: If you want to find out which patches you have applied to a specific kernel, say "mach_kernel.test", then in the console or terminal simply type "strings -a /mach_kernel.test | grep -i maxxuss", witout quotes.